2015-2016 Florida State University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it doesn't say under review I would call them. I had a similar situation and when I called I found out they had my letters, but had not processed them yet. They updated my application within an hour of getting off the phone.
Yep, you were right haha. I emailed them and instead of directly answering I got an email back a few hours later saying my application was complete
 
How long do they usually take to review an application? I submitted 7/22, and my app still says its under review. Hoping for the best, good luck to everyone!
 
Can you guys tell me honestly what are my chances of getting into FSU (I also applied to a few schools, but FSU is one of my favorites)

MCAT 504 (it is a 28) BS: 126 PS:127 SS:126 CARS:125
GPA: 3.82
>1000 hours of research
40 hours of shadowing
600 hours of non clinical volunteering
Florida Resident (I live close to Miami)
took a year off to teach science in a at risk youth High School, I was in school leadership

Any help is welcome
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you guys tell me honestly what are my chances of getting into FSU (I also applied to a few schools, but FSU is one of my favorites)

MCAT 504 (it is a 28) BS: 126 PS:127 SS:126 CARS:125
GPA: 3.82
>1000 hours of research
40 hours of shadowing
600 hours of non clinical volunteering
Florida Resident (I live close to Miami)
took a year off to teach science in a at risk youth High School, I was in school leadership

Any help is welcome
Id say you have a very reasonable chance, at least based on what Ive seen on this forum from this and last year.
 
The Haitian Doctor I'd say you have a pretty decent chance at getting an II. And Mihirtak the time it takes for the application to go from "under review" to an II varies widely. For example, last year I was under review from 7/22 and didn't get an II until 12/07. My colleague was under review since 06/22 but didn't get an II until late January.
 
The Haitian Doctor I'd say you have a pretty decent chance at getting an II. And Mihirtak the time it takes for the application to go from "under review" to an II varies widely. For example, last year I was under review from 7/22 and didn't get an II until 12/07. My colleague was under review since 06/22 but didn't get an II until late January.
If you do not mind me asking, what were your stats? Im sitting at a 3.85, 511 (roughly a 32) with all the standard ECs (over 350 hours shadowing various physicians, research, etc.) and am In- state. Really hoping for an interview here.
 
Lol your stats were better than mine. 3.5/30, over 500 hours of volunteering, over 200 hours shadowing a pediatrician 8-5 for 6 weeks, no research. But I also have lived in Tallahassee for 15 years.
 
The Haitian Doctor I'd say you have a pretty decent chance at getting an II. And Mihirtak the time it takes for the application to go from "under review" to an II varies widely. For example, last year I was under review from 7/22 and didn't get an II until 12/07. My colleague was under review since 06/22 but didn't get an II until late January.
awesome! I'm just going to wait and see then!
 
So have they been only interviewing early decisions so far? My portal still says "application under review by office of admissions 2015/07/23
 
So have they been only interviewing early decisions so far? My portal still says "application under review by office of admissions 2015/07/23

It seems they've handed out a limited number of interviews to regular decision candidates thus far, but they are still very early in their review process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well i realized i omitted a word in one of my essays and it completely made my main point sound exactly like the opposite of what i was shooting for. I cannot believe i missed that...
 
Status updated to "Application under review by the office of admissions" on the portal as of 10/5... Ah. I see this could take a while anyway haha. Nice to see an update though
 
Status updated to "Application under review by the office of admissions" on the portal as of 10/5... Ah. I see this could take a while anyway haha. Nice to see an update though
That's so odd, I got an email and that status the day I submitted it (08/06). Maybe it's a good sign for you though, I still haven't heard anything :/
 
Does anyone know if there's a FB page for this incoming class yet? I remember reading about one last year for those accepted. Who even sets it up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my letters were sent out 9/1/2015 and I never got a confirmation e-mail notifying me that my file was complete. I contacted the admissions committee about this yesterday and today I finally get an e-mail that I'm complete. Does that mean I'm considered applying late because I wasn't complete until now?
 
I can't remember if I got an email confirmation but if my status says that "Application is under review by admission committee" (the stage after "File complete") then I should be good, right? It's been this way since 7/21 and I'm OOS so that might explain why it's taking so long maybe...
 
Yeah, if you're an OOS applicant, the odds are stacked against you but it's not impossible. In the class of 2019, there are TWO OOS'ers who got in. One from California and one from Chicago (who was actually born in Florida). FSU does accept a lot of IS applicants because of the mission to keep doctors in Florida.
 
FSU is the least OOS-friendly school in FL. According to the MSAR, out of 2921 OOS applicants, they interviewed 9. So your chance is 0.3% at just getting an interview.
pme2hr5.jpg
 
Is there anyway to find out where they are with applications? I turned in my II on 08/16, still haven't heard anything though. I don't know if I should be worried yet or not.
 
Was complete 8/24 here, II 10/1, interview attended on 10/12. They said that decisions are made two Tuesdays after your interview.

I applied IS with a LizzyM ~71. I thought my interviews went okay... I misunderstood one question but it was kind of vital, so I'm really unsure about how I did...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you guys tell me honestly what are my chances of getting into FSU (I also applied to a few schools, but FSU is one of my favorites)

MCAT 504 (it is a 28) BS: 126 PS:127 SS:126 CARS:125
GPA: 3.82
>1000 hours of research
40 hours of shadowing
600 hours of non clinical volunteering
Florida Resident (I live close to Miami)
took a year off to teach science in a at risk youth High School, I was in school leadership

Any help is welcome
You definitely have a chance. Make sure they are well-aware of your relevant experience in serving the underserved. Good luck!
 
So my letters were sent out 9/1/2015 and I never got a confirmation e-mail notifying me that my file was complete. I contacted the admissions committee about this yesterday and today I finally get an e-mail that I'm complete. Does that mean I'm considered applying late because I wasn't complete until now?

You're not late for FSU, don't stress.