2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by claduva94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still nothing ,,
oh wells i am just honored and grateful to have received an interview esp with my messy mcat history and being international

Good luck everyone 🙂 its not over till its over

My sentiments too. Lucky and happy with my options, I have the cake but Mayo would have been the icing.
 
Wait listed!!! Wow can't believe it, Does anyone know when official rejections go out off the wait list?? Congrats to everyone who was accepted today 😀 what an accomplishment
 
Last edited:
Rejected. Released from consideration
So sorry, no email for me, just continued silence. Waiting for release at 2:30am from purgatory. Sigh
Edit. Release from consideration. Guess I get only cake, no icing. Not too sad, this was a stretch. Best wishes to folks on the alt list.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Teenage cancer survivor, lifelong patient of CVID, grew up and worked on a farm to get through school. Over 5000 hours on AMCAS in 3.5 years including a first author pub and a contributing author pub knocking on the door. Clawed myself up the whole way, this rejection hurts a lot but I'm not too worried about it underpinning my future success.
 
They waitlist about 100/250 applicants right...? Idk where I got that statistic but I feel like I heard that somewhere. Someone please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong~

Also really sorry to hear about the rejections 🙁 just keep in mind that it is already a huge feat to be considered by Mayo and they must saw something special in you to have offered you an interview! Hang in there~
 
They waitlist about 100/250 applicants right...? Idk where I got that statistic but I feel like I heard that somewhere. Someone please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong~

Also really sorry to hear about the rejections 🙁 just keep in mind that it is already a huge feat to be considered by Mayo and they must saw something special in you to have offered you an interview! Hang in there~

That's correct, and they accept about 50% of the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate list. Encouraging to hear about the favorable chances of getting OFF the alt list.

That's always nice. I am intending to send a letter of intent (heh, get it) but when would be the best time to do this? I know even now (though I haven't heard from places in the Top 10 that I interviewed at) that Mayo would be my #1. But would it be more impactful if I waited until March when I know all my options?
 
also alternate. It wouldn't be my top choice but I'm still waiting on my top choices. would be if I didn't get into my top choices. should I wait until March to send in my letter? sorry this sounds kind of bad to say.
 
also alternate. It wouldn't be my top choice but I'm still waiting on my top choices. would be if I didn't get into my top choices. should I wait until March to send in my letter? sorry this sounds kind of bad to say.

I would wait until you hear back from your actual top choices. Don't send a letter of intent unless you would absolutely go there because you could still end up getting accepted to your top choices
 
I would wait until you hear back from your actual top choices. Don't send a letter of intent unless you would absolutely go there because you could still end up getting accepted to your top choices
Yea the world is small and you don't want to risk sending something that's not true. Source: I was told by my faculty interviewer.
 
Alternate list. Encouraging to hear about the favorable chances of getting OFF the alt list.

That's always nice. I am intending to send a letter of intent (heh, get it) but when would be the best time to do this? I know even now (though I haven't heard from places in the Top 10 that I interviewed at) that Mayo would be my #1. But would it be more impactful if I waited until March when I know all my options?
I would let them know now if you feel that Mayo is one of your top choices. At this point, I believe it is an unranked alternate list. Write them a passionate LOI and why Mayo is your top choice and why they are a good fit for you. I got the feeling that you really need to show them love to get appointed at Mayo. You want to be in that top quarter or top half of their alternate list to increase your chance of getting that appointment. Good luck to you and the others in the alternate list. While fortunate to have interviewed here and placed on the alternate list, I have withdrawn my alternate list position. I have really enjoyed following the SDN postings here. Best of luck to all and may your dream school precipitate to reality.
 
I would wait until you hear back from your actual top choices. Don't send a letter of intent unless you would absolutely go there because you could still end up getting accepted to your top choices

I second this. It's not really your intent to go at this point, so don't claim it to be the case. You very well may get in to your top choices (I recall a stat that the average mayo matriculant holds 6-8 acceptances, and those who interview there have typically successful cycles, so you'll probably get in where you want to go). If afterwards you decide mayo is your top choice, then send a letter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait listed, but mayo is absolutely my top choice. Would the email in which I accept my spot on the waitlist be a good place to write my letter of intent too, or should I write my LOI email separately? Not sure what the LOI protocol is!
 
Wait listed, but mayo is absolutely my top choice. Would the email in which I accept my spot on the waitlist be a good place to write my letter of intent too, or should I write my LOI email separately? Not sure what the LOI protocol is!
I would just write a very brief email to accept the alternate status to be prompt in your reply then send an LOI when you have that ready. But that is just my 2 cents, I have no idea what the right thing to do is! Anyone have a mayo alternate list survival guide?