You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Stanford University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Can't they just admit enough upfront if matriculation rate was 46%? If they need 100 students and admitted 213, then they could get the 98 and then add 2 from waitlist.
Was wondering the same thing, b/c I believe schools over-admit in the first place b/c they know they won't have a 100% yield. So perhaps the 46% yield is enough to nearly fill the class? Anyway, just a theory.
Every single school overadmits with this idea in mind.Was wondering the same thing, b/c I believe schools over-admit in the first place b/c they know they won't have a 100% yield. So perhaps the 46% yield is enough to nearly fill the class? Anyway, just a theory.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stanford's matriculation rate last year was 46% (coming from an admissions officer I spoke with), so there must have been more than 2 people who got off the waitlist
Like everyone else has said, it's about # admitted and the matriculation rate. Particularly with top schools, it's hard to guess where students - particularly cross-admits - will end up, so they always factor their matriculation rate into the number they admit. That's why Stanford, which has the second highest matriculation rate of any med school, admits over 200 applicants for 100 spots. HMS has the highest matriculation rate at around 73%, and they still admit just under 200 for 160 or so spots (both HST and Pathways included there). All top schools need to do this, but the way they do it is variable as some schools rely more on the wait list than others; that said, everyone over-admits by a decent margin.
Edit: Private school.
Last edited:
D
deleted743871
So apparently Stanford doesn't actually have the second highest matriculation rate, according to that same admissions officer I spoke with. Some public school in California has the second highest matriculation rate. Just throwing it out there.
Harvard is number 9 in terms of the highest yield and only private school on the list.. However, many of the state schools on the list are the only state schools in their state with very high instate preferences which means they admit to fill the class and take people when people don't accept as opposed to having to guess.
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools-where-accepted-students-usually-enroll
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools-where-accepted-students-usually-enroll
As calculated from US News data, Stanford's yield is 49%, but this includes the waitlist offers and matriculants so we don't know what rate the regular offers are.So apparently Stanford doesn't actually have the second highest matriculation rate, according to that same admissions officer I spoke with. Some public school in California has the second highest matriculation rate. Just throwing it out there.
Harvard is number 9 in terms of the highest yield and only private school on the list.. However, many of the state schools on the list are the only state schools in their state with very high instate preferences which means they admit to fill the class and take people when people don't accept as opposed to having to guess.
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools-where-accepted-students-usually-enroll
Sorry, yes, I meant private school! My bad, should have clarified. Like someone else said, it's hard to compare private v. public. From my knowledge (which comes from a high up dean but could be wrong, as it is from word-of-mouth), SMS is right behind Harvard in terms of yield.
Yeah they're definitely wrong. Stanford stands at 49% yield in total (including WLs), which means the real yield pre-WL is lower. By just clicking randomly in the US News premium database, I find that Penn is at 64% post-WL yield. Unless Penn makes up for almost 20 percentage points off of its WL, Stanford is nowhere near having the second highest yield among private schools. I'm sure if I cared enough to look at more top schools, I'd find more that are much higher than Stanford's 49%Sorry, yes, I meant private school! My bad, should have clarified. Like someone else said, it's hard to compare private v. public. From my knowledge (which comes from a high up dean but could be wrong, as it is from word-of-mouth), SMS is right behind Harvard in terms of yield.
Yeah they're definitely wrong. Stanford stands at 49% yield in total (including WLs), which means the real yield pre-WL is lower. By just clicking randomly in the US News premium database, I find that Penn is at 64% post-WL yield. Unless Penn makes up for almost 20 percentage points off of its WL, Stanford is nowhere near having the second highest yield among private schools. I'm sure if I cared enough to look at more top schools, I'd find more that are much higher than Stanford's 49%
You all are getting my hopes up 🙂
Do I dare hope to dream that I may make it off the wait list!?
I'm convincing myself that it's not going to happen, but can't help but hold out at least a sliver of hope!You all are getting my hopes up 🙂
Do I dare hope to dream that I may make it off the wait list!?


Does anyone know when waitlisters might expect to hear something?
Also does Stanford eventually reject everyone they don't accept off the waitlist?
Also does Stanford eventually reject everyone they don't accept off the waitlist?
Does anyone know when waitlisters might expect to hear something?
The email said they'd have a sense regarding movement after April 30th. So I guess anytime between then and the first day of classes.
That's not really what it says. It says they will contact those to whom a spot is offered "after the admissions season ends in May." So the lucky ones will hear in May, likely around mid-May since that's when the bulk of accepts occur for many med schools.The email said they'd have a sense regarding movement after April 30th. So I guess anytime between then and the first day of classes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All quiet on the western front?
Accepted today off of the waitlist!!!
Congrats! 🙂Accepted today off of the waitlist!!!
Yeah congratulations! Did they say how long you have to decide?Accepted today off of the waitlist!!!
Thank you! I have until this Friday to decide. 5 days.Yeah congratulations! Did they say how long you have to decide?
What personalized email? Was it from Gibbs' personal email address?CONGRATS on your acceptance! 🙂 that's amazing
For the WL: I think this may support that people who got the personalized email from the dean are prioritized, though sample size =1 currently, and is likely to increase only by a few (if any 😀)
Mm I am not sure (didn't get one). From talking with people on other revisits and here, it is essentially an email saying although waitlisted, you are one of the few people who are being considered highly, etc, etc.
Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.
Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.
Mm I am not sure (didn't get one). From talking with people on other revisits and here, it is essentially an email saying although waitlisted, you are one of the few people who are being considered highly, etc, etc.
Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.
Well, if this helps anyone, the email was a personalized letter from the dean basically stating that the recipients were about to be wait-listed, but that the committee had found them, in her words, “highly desirable.” So @jk818 is spot on. It then said that they’d know of any open spots by April 30th and would then contact folks as soon as spots became available. The standard wait-list email/notification came a few days later.
I don’t know how many folks received it, obviously; but they did mention that were contacting only a few folks.
May I ask how you were notified? via phone call?Thank you! I have until this Friday to decide. 5 days.
Initially via phone call and then an email the next day.
That awkward moment when I didn't get such an email...whatever lolMm I am not sure (didn't get one). From talking with people on other revisits and here, it is essentially an email saying although waitlisted, you are one of the few people who are being considered highly, etc, etc.
Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.
ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call last night at 10:30 pm ET!!!!!!!!!
(Interviewed December 11th)
Still in absolute shock and disbelief.![]()
Congrats! What were your stats?
I live in the Bay Area and, Stanford no longer perform traditional interviews. Applicants are required to perform various tasks such as instructing someone to build an Eiffel Tower-which test their leadership capability.
Has anyone been through the new screening process?
Has anyone been through the new screening process?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
