2015-2016 Stanford University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!! I interviewed on the same day, but haven't received any calls. Guess that means I brace myself for the worst 🙁

Thanks bud and hope you hear good news too! I'm humbled by my acceptance and really appreciate everyone in this thread for being so informative and nice :happy:
 
Also, for those of us who haven't heard back yet post-interview: don't lose hope. You never know what the adcom is thinking or doing. We can only speculate so much, so there's still a chance for all of us. Regardless, most of us have already been accepted to wonderful schools, and we should be thrilled to be given such an amazing opportunity as that of becoming a physician! The majority don't make it to any school whatsoever in any given cycle, so be proud and stand strong my friends. 🙂
 
Also, for those of us who haven't heard back yet post-interview: don't lose hope. You never know what the adcom is thinking or doing. We can only speculate so much, so there's still a chance for all of us. Regardless, most of us have already been accepted to wonderful schools, and we should be thrilled to be given such an amazing opportunity as that of becoming a physician! The majority don't make it to any school whatsoever in any given cycle, so be proud and stand strong my friends. 🙂

Echoing this sentiment - we are all so fortunate, and with such bright futures ahead. So easy to forget this sometimes, I certainly did when first waitlisted here 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just checked and the "Withdraw" tab disappeared on my portal (BTW was I the only one that was antsy about how close this tab was to the "Log Out" tab?). From the looks of what others have posted, I will be getting the axe soon pre-II. I was complete 8/2

EDIT: I guess "tab" is a better description than "button"


Sure enough, axed this morning via email.
 
So what's the consensus (if any)?

Does the disappearance of the withdrawal tab means definite doom?

Is there anyone out there that got accepted after its disappearance?

Thank you kindly
 
So what's the consensus (if any)?

Does the disappearance of the withdrawal tab means definite doom?

Is there anyone out there that got accepted after its disappearance?

Thank you kindly
I was wait listed and still have my withdraw tab (although I am a bit skeptical about the various "withdraw tab" theories) 😉
 
Hey does anyone know the tentative schedule for revisit weekend, 31 Mar - 2 Apr? If I can only come for one day, which day should I choose? Thanks!
 
Hey does anyone know the tentative schedule for revisit weekend, 31 Mar - 2 Apr? If I can only come for one day, which day should I choose? Thanks!

April 1st will likely have the most "events" lined up, from bright and early in the morning to late at night, so if you want the most bang for buck, that would be the day to choose. That being said, the last day is usually pretty chill and might have more casual/unstructured time to know fellow admits and current students better, but it is shorter. Depends on what your goals are and what you want to get out of the revisit weekend.
 
April 1st will likely have the most "events" lined up, from bright and early in the morning to late at night, so if you want the most bang for buck, that would be the day to choose. That being said, the last day is usually pretty chill and might have more casual/unstructured time to know fellow admits and current students better, but it is shorter. Depends on what your goals are and what you want to get out of the revisit weekend.

Thank you!! Appreciate your help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that the cycle almost comes to a close...what was your impression of Stanford and why would you choose it over some other top-tier schools?

Brilliant facilities, laid back attitude, great weather, quite a bit of freedom within the curriculum to explore interests

On the other hand, Palo Alto seemed boring, cost of living is astronomical, and the school seemed research heavy to a fault – though as someone who only wants to be a run-of-the-mill private practice doc, that is probably my personal bias speaking
 
Brilliant facilities, laid back attitude, great weather, quite a bit of freedom within the curriculum to explore interests

On the other hand, Palo Alto seemed boring, cost of living is astronomical, and the school seemed research heavy to a fault – though as someone who only wants to be a run-of-the-mill private practice doc, that is probably my personal bias speaking
Spot on.
 
Only housing should be out of whack in Palo Alto but I am under the impression Stanford provides housing at a fixed cost.
 
Only housing should be out of whack in Palo Alto but I am under the impression Stanford provides housing at a fixed cost.

They provide housing but the rates average well over $1000 a month, which is cheaper than market – but in my opinion, still expensive. And everything else from groceries to restaurants is also expensive in the peninsula, with most cool free events happening an hour drive's away in SF.

EDIT (perhaps not "well over"): https://rde.stanford.edu/studenthousing/rates-billing#Grad
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree, it has been unusually quiet. I'm also wondering if anyone has heard back lately?

I finally couldn't stand waiting anymore and ended up calling the admissions office yesterday. The person I spoke with was very nice and I explained that I was supposed to have her back at the latest in December, according to Arturo. He looked at my file and said, "it looks like they will be coming to a decision soon". I really wish I asked him why he thought that, or what he meant by that.
 
I agree, it has been unusually quiet. I'm also wondering if anyone has heard back lately?

I finally couldn't stand waiting anymore and ended up calling the admissions office yesterday. The person I spoke with was very nice and I explained that I was supposed to have her back at the latest in December, according to Arturo. He looked at my file and said, "it looks like they will be coming to a decision soon". I really wish I asked him why he thought that, or what he meant by that.
It has been very quiet lately... It doesn't look like any decisions have been released recently...
 
waisted yesterday morning, interview 2/6. 🙁

does anyone remember what Arturo said on interview day about WL movement?
He made it sound like in the years where there is movement, it is on the order of a couple spots. But maybe he was just keeping our hopes low - there's definitely a chance still. The WL is unranked and used to complete the class (balance/diversity factors).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad