2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last 3 years questions for UIC's secondary:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (DO NOT EXCEED 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (do not exceed 250)

3. Optional: Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'.

I seek your opinions/advice on 3 parts of this...

1. Is it "taboo" or otherwise not wise to discuss a death in the family?

2. What if my main "hobby" was already included as an AMCAS activity? I don't want to be repetitive, but it seems like so many of these prompts are basically already answered in the primary.

3. Should I fill out #3 if I already wrote a disadvantaged statement for AMCAS?

Thank you

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I'm about to be starting my M3 year at UIC and am happy to answer questions. That said, I won't be checking this forum regularly, so PM me your questions. Also, since I'm starting M3 year, please excuse any delay in me getting back to ya. Gonna be busy.

Good luck everyone! It's a rough slog but you can make it through.

Last 3 years questions for UIC's secondary:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (DO NOT EXCEED 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (do not exceed 250)

3. Optional: Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'.

I seek your opinions/advice on 3 parts of this...

1. Is it "taboo" or otherwise not wise to discuss my mother's passing away for #1? She died last year after a 5-year long cancer battle, while I was working full-time and in school full time. I thought I would have to drop all my classes, but I made it through with 4.0 that semester, and actually was recruited by my Ochem professor to become a 'peer leader'. I am now doing that paid job, teaching seminars for the dept. Anyway, I was just wondering what you think. I do not wish to come across as "using" her death, or whiny or morbid. It was the most stressful experience of my life.

2. What if my main "hobby" was already included as an AMCAS activity? I don't want to be repetitive, but it seems like so many of these prompts are basically already answered in the primary.

3. Should I fill out #3 if I already wrote a disadvantaged statement for AMCAS?

Thank you

1. Not taboo, definitely sounds like a stressful situation that you got through in a productive way. Just make sure to show how the stress was connected to/motivated you to do the things that followed.

2. That's fine. Generally repetition is bound to happen on the med app, don't stress about it too much.

3. Sure, again, don't stress about repetition too much (but also don't use the exact same wording). You can say that you've already mentioned it, but I don't think that's necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
How is UIC in giving financial aid and scholarships and stuff? I have pretty strong ties to Illinois (family I'm super close to lives there, its basically been my second home), but I'm out of state and I can't swing that 75 grand a year tuition

Does UIC accept AP credit? Couldn't find any information on the website. MSAR says it's on a case-by-case basis. The PDF put together by Rice Univ. says it is accepted. I e-mailed the admissions office but still no reply.

Has anyone received a secondary from UIC yet?

Geez, this is taking much longer than I expected. I will just keep pressing the refresh button I guess lol

Don't think any of the Illinois schools have sent them out yet (other than U of C)

Don't think any of the Illinois schools have sent them out yet (other than U of C)
I know.. idk what is taking them so long. I have heard from a lot of OOS schools. .. but I really want some in -state love

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I am with you wholeheartedly.

And Northwestern (I got theirs last week)

That's good that they're sending them out early this year. Haven't heard anyone else receiving them, so they must really like you haha. I think they sent them around August last year.

That's good that they're sending them out early this year. Haven't heard anyone else receiving them, so they must really like you haha. I think they sent them around August last year.
Huh really? That's be surprising, since my GPA is abysmally low for their standards (3.5 on the dot). Maybe the fact that one of my letter writers is a professor emeritus there helps me out more than I thought! But I digress, this isn't the Feinberg thread.

I am anxiously awaiting all IL secondaries- UIC is my dream for the COA if nothing else!

Huh really? That's be surprising, since my GPA is abysmally low for their standards (3.5 on the dot). Maybe the fact that one of my letter writers is a professor emeritus there helps me out more than I thought! But I digress, this isn't the Feinberg thread.

I am anxiously awaiting all IL secondaries- UIC is my dream for the COA if nothing else!

I got a secondary from Loyola & SIU.. So IL schools have started to send them out :) Hopefully UIC will send their application out soon.

Yea... just got that one too.Im so glad that their prompt is short and straight to the point!

Just got this secondary! Here's the kicker though. On my AMCAS, I indicated that communications be sent to my personal email address. Every one of the 14 secondaries I've received so far has gone there. But THIS one somehow made its way to my school address! I have no idea how they got hold of this email address! I called the office and they said sometimes they pull contact info from the FASFA, but I've never even filled out the FASFA because I would never qualify for need based aid. Weird!

Got a secondary, but the link they sent me to access it doesnt work

edit - nevermind they sent another one with a link that works

Last edited:
Also, anyone know if the screen is based just off of GPA/MCAT absolute minimums or if they actually read your application first?

Do they send secondaries as they go or all in one day today?

Got a secondary, but the link they sent me to access it doesnt work

edit - nevermind they sent another one with a link that works

Mind posting the prompt? Confused why IL kids didn't all get them

Reactions: 1 users
Just got this secondary! Here's the kicker though. On my AMCAS, I indicated that communications be sent to my personal email address. Every one of the 14 secondaries I've received so far has gone there. But THIS one somehow made its way to my school address! I have no idea how they got hold of this email address! I called the office and they said sometimes they pull contact info from the FASFA, but I've never even filled out the FASFA because I would never qualify for need based aid. Weird!

Are the prompts the same as last year?

Anyone mind posting the prompts please? In state here

@gsiegel14 , @Khaleesi3 , and @HybridEarth : the reason nobody has been able to respond with prompts yet is that there were glitches with the platform that kept us from viewing them (or at least that's why I haven't posted sooner, anyway!). Here you go:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
(Do not exceed 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

Reactions: 1 users
And FYI: in addition to listing your pre-req coursework, you also have to list your ECs all over again (but only 12 slots, not 15), including all the contact info. And they say not to copy and paste because they are afraid of glitches if so. :soexcited:(sarcasm)

@gsiegel14 , @Khaleesi3 , and @HybridEarth : the reason nobody has been able to respond with prompts yet is that there were glitches with the platform that kept us from viewing them (or at least that's why I haven't posted sooner, anyway!). Here you go:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?

Thanks!

Luv you avatar btw ;)

so for the stress question, we should pick a more recent experience right

For the hobby question I was debating between fitness (I lift 5-6 times a week, working towards a goal) and volunteering (which I genuinely enjoy, but not sure if it's generic/makes me come off as trying too hard?). What do you guys think?

For what it's worth mine was verified June 11th and I got the secondary 2 days ago but I also graduated from UIUC and lived there for 21 years

Verified 06/01 still no secondary

I don't even think we could submit our application until 06/02 :| haha. But on a serious note, I'm IS and also have not received a secondary (verified 06/02). I have heard that some schools may send out secondaries to URMs early. Could any of you who have already received the secondary confirm this?

IS, went to UIUC for undergrad AMCAS verified on 6/8.. still no secondary

I don't even think we could submit our application until 06/02 :| haha. But on a serious note, I'm IS and also have not received a secondary (verified 06/02). I have heard that some schools may send out secondaries to URMs early. Could any of you who have already received the secondary confirm this?
Nope. ORM, 3.5/523, verified 6/15. Last name starts with A though; that could be it.

Too bad, I really liked their program. I just realized they require 3 behavioral science courses while I only have two. The struggles of post-grad life haha.

Eh. I wouldn't worry until people verified after 7/1 start receiving secondaries.

Edit: Also, is that behavioral science req new?

I don't know, I think so. I did not realize until I was doing the secondary and made it down to the course requirement section.

I don't know, I think so. I did not realize until I was doing the secondary and made it down to the course requirement section.

Yeah I heard it was new this year because of the new MCAT. But I could be wrong.

Well ****. I feel like that'll deter a lot of people from applying, if they didn't know. I personally only have an anthropology, sociology, and psych class each, but it shouldn't be too difficult to squeeze in abother one, since I have a pretty light course load second semester. Worst comes to worst, I can submit documentation saying that my anthropology class, which was called "the anthropology of social class," should count as another sociology course. Heck, we had to read Bourdieu's entire book, and he's a sociologist! Thing is like 700 pages, and we had two weeks to do it!

jay-cutler-dont-care.jpg
Can I ask you an honest question?

Why are you such an dingus? Like seriously, what the **** is wrong with you? THIS IS A HELP FORUM. People who come here post ABOUT THEMSELVES, sometimes questions, sometimes vents/rants. People like you are the reason why SDN has a reputation of being a cesspool of psychopaths, and the fact that people like you get into medical school is honestly the reason why so many people in America today hate doctors. I mean, you're ****ing jealous of the fact that I got Northwestern's secondaries a week before everyone else on this site, so you post saying that I'm lying? Ooohhh, I don't have a 4.0 and yet a school contacted me before all of the neurotic, pathetic gunners on this site! Can't have anything to do with my name being at the beginning of the alphabet or something, no I must be lying! What did this picture of Jay Cutler contribute to the conversation, seeing as how you're obviously so high and mighty, and every word you say must have more influence on the world than the phrases of Jesus Christ himself!

**** you.

Adieu, mes amis. I will surely be banned after this post, but it was worth it for sure. Not that I'll much miss it here at all. Some of you are a-OK though.

Edit: SDN changes the word for a certain bodily orifice to dingus. But you get my drift.

Reactions: 3 users