2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's insane that all they could offer you was your choice of campus. I know Illinois is broke but I would never defer for less than like 60-70k.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Especially after reading this post, I would not defer unless a similar offer were made: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/scholarship-offer-for-deferred-admission-thoughts.1204119/

I applied and was accepted to a top-10 school in this past admissions cycle, and as my school year will begin in August, I received an offer from the admissions committee. Due to over-enrollment of students, I was offered a large scholarship (~$100k) to defer my admission to next year (guaranteed seat).

Last edited:
Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.

I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
Tell them your decision on whether or not to defer is pending.

Reactions: 3 users
Just in case anyone is wondering, only IL residents received the request to defer because that is the oversubscribed group.

That's insane that all they could offer you was your choice of campus. I know Illinois is broke but I would never defer for less than like 60-70k.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
I'd actually consider it if I hadn't signed a lease already, just because they're switching to organ systems next year, and I'm only 22 anyway.

60-80 people taken off waitlist in previous years. Negative chance of getting taken off this year. Guess I'm going with my plan B.

I'm a resident of IL applying this cycle. Anyone know how "oversubscribing" will affect my chances of getting in for Fall of 2017? I really want to go to this school.

I'm a resident of IL applying ethis cycle. Anyone know how "oversubscribing" will affect my chances of getting in for Fall of 2017? I really want to go to this school.
It'll probably be minimal. Depending on by how many they are oversubscribed.

Not sure what their average class size is...but let's say it 150 and they have 10 people too many this year, and are able to convince 10 people to delay until next year...then they will likely bring in only 140 next year to add to the 10 deferments. No really an issue for you.

Now if they oversubscribed by 40-50 or more (unlikely)...then it could make things a bit more difficult next year. AND the admissions dean gets fired!

Basically you need to keep all your options open and not become too focused on just 1 school. It's difficult enough to get into ANY medical school, focusing on just 1 is begging for disappointment.

Received the Post-bac paperwork last week. Although the post-bac is completed in Chicago they do split us up into the three campus next year for when medical school starts. Did not know that, I assumed because we started in Chicago post-bac students automatically would just stay in Chicago. Just wanted to put that out there for students applying next round.

Received the Post-bac paperwork last week. Although the post-bac is completed in Chicago they do split us up into the three campus next year for when medical school starts. Did not know that, I assumed because we started in Chicago post-bac students automatically would just stay in Chicago. Just wanted to put that out there for students applying next round.

How do they decide which campus you will be assigned to?

Hey all,

Does anyone know if the med school classes are held in the same area as the undergrad program for Chicago students? How large are typical UIC lectures in Chicago?

Hey all,

Does anyone know if the med school classes are held in the same area as the undergrad program for Chicago students? How large are typical UIC lectures in Chicago?
No, the med/dental/nursing schools are a bit west of the undergrad campus, in the Illinois Medical District.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

final decision + additional correspondence on 1/22, but still nothing in the mail. Anybody else in that position?

jk1006

Hi! So I'm an applicant for the 2017 cycle and was recently admitted to UIC on December 15. However, it is taking longer than expected for my packet to arrive. It could be on its way and just delayed because of the holidays (I am also OOS in California), but it could also be that they sent it to the wrong address or it got lost in the mail somehow. I think they may be getting my new address confused with my old one as I moved during the application cycle.

Did you have a similar situation/did you ever receive the packet or was it just lost in the mail somehow?

I tried contacting the admissions office, but they are closed for the holidays and won't be open again until January 3. However, I think our deposit deadline is on that date. I'm not sure how this works, but does this mean we have to have our letter postmarked by that date? Were you able to get an extension on your deposit if you missed your deadline?

Thanks for reading my message. I'm sure you can understand how neurotic and anxious this whole process makes us!

Hopefully you see this and get the chance to respond back.[/user]

jk1006

Hi! So I'm an applicant for the 2017 cycle and was recently admitted to UIC on December 15. However, it is taking longer than expected for my packet to arrive. It could be on its way and just delayed because of the holidays (I am also OOS in California), but it could also be that they sent it to the wrong address or it got lost in the mail somehow. I think they may be getting my new address confused with my old one as I moved during the application cycle.

Did you have a similar situation/did you ever receive the packet or was it just lost in the mail somehow?

I tried contacting the admissions office, but they are closed for the holidays and won't be open again until January 3. However, I think our deposit deadline is on that date. I'm not sure how this works, but does this mean we have to have our letter postmarked by that date? Were you able to get an extension on your deposit if you missed your deadline?

Thanks for reading my message. I'm sure you can understand how neurotic and anxious this whole process makes us!

Give them a call as soon as their offices open up and ask for verification that additional correspondence was mailed out to the correct address. Don't worry. Mine took a little while too.

jk1006

Just call them tomorrow morning and let them know you didn't receive your packet; they'll certainly extend any deposit deadline.