2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone,

If you have been accepted into California Northstate University College of Medicine for the Class of 2021! Please message me or
join the group at this link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1175480672529508/members/

I will add you to this Facebook group I created for Our Class of 2021! I'm super excited to meet and get to know everyone!
Congratulations and Good Luck all future physicians!
Oh nice! I would recommend only accepting members who can verify their acceptance (e.g. photo of acceptance letter or screenshot of acceptance email). We had some interesting people try to join the group until we changed the group to private after our whole class joined.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what percentage of II have been sent out at this point and how many more they are still planning to give out?

No clue, and I don't think there's really any way to completely gauge that, unless you're on the AdCom, and they're required to be pretty hush hush about things.

I will say though, that it seems like this cycle they've only been sending out IIs pretty close to actual interview dates (within two weeks). We have plenty more interview days ahead of us (I think 6 more out of 10, but I'm not 100% on that).

The application cycle is never over until it's officially over. I interviewed on the very last day last year (4/27), so I know how hard it is to sit and wait it out. If you are really genuinely interested in the school/have updates, I always recommend sending a letter. It's really all you can do at this point besides twiddle your thumbs and obsessively check you e-mail every five minutes. Feel free to PM me for tips on that (letter writing... not obsessively checking your e-mail) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed here on 12/2 and loved the school! Good luck to everyone else.

Reactions: 3 users
I have yet to receive any notifications to submit a secondary. Is it give-up time for this school?

Reactions: 1 user
I have yet to receive any notifications to submit a secondary. Is it give-up time for this school?
I'd call and ask if everything is complete. For some reason they never got one of my materials even though every other school did, so I resent it and got a secondary within hours

I'd call and ask if everything is complete. For some reason they never got one of my materials even though every other school did, so I resent it and got a secondary within hours

Thank you for your response and I will do that!

DON'T give up!

See my earlier posts! Last year, I had to e-mail them (right around this time, actually) because I hadn't received a secondary. Their system is new, and it still has some kinks to work out. E-mail them, and have that secondary ready to go as soon as you can! Still plenty of time left in the cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
DON'T give up!

See my earlier posts! Last year, I had to e-mail them (right around this time, actually) because I hadn't received a secondary. Their system is new, and it still has some kinks to work out. E-mail them, and have that secondary ready to go as soon as you can! Still plenty of time left in the cycle!

Thank you so much! I'm waiting on a responce now after I emailed them. This cycle is far from over for me and I appreciate your comforting words!

Just got a request for a secondary! Emailing them worked :)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where I'm supposed to email for the secondary application fee refund since I qualified for FAP? I've been looking for so long and can't find it anywhere on their site :(

Does anyone know where I'm supposed to email for the secondary application fee refund since I qualified for FAP? I've been looking for so long and can't find it anywhere on their site :(

I just googled it - <[email protected]> - just email their general admissions and see what they can do. You could also call their general number

Hey peeps! Congrats on the few recent acceptances :)
I have been complete since July and still haven't heard anything from here. Does anyone know how/when they decide to review apps or how many interview dates are left? Much appreciated amigo/as

Hey peeps! Congrats on the few recent acceptances :)
I have been complete since July and still haven't heard anything from here. Does anyone know how/when they decide to review apps or how many interview dates are left? Much appreciated amigo/as

Hi! If you look back through some of the earlier posts, you'll see this is not uncommon. By complete, do you mean you did your secondary? If so, just wait it out! You can always send a letter of interest/update letter in you're interested in CNU for any specific reasons (other than it being a California medical school, haha) and if you've recently done anything the admissions committee might want to know about (new volunteering experiences, paper publications, grades that weren't available when you submitted AMCAS, etc). You can e-mail a letter to the ad com as a PDF.

We've had four interview days (I think? Maybe 5). We've got plenty more. Next one is in early January. It seems the trend this year is to send out IIs not too far in advance, so hang tight! Yours might be coming :)

Reactions: 8 users
I was wondering if anyone else heard back about acceptances for the 12/2 interview date? I know they said to wait till Friday, but I saw a few posts about acceptances last week! Thanks

I was wondering if anyone else heard back about acceptances for the 12/2 interview date? I know they said to wait till Friday, but I saw a few posts about acceptances last week! Thanks

I called them earlier today and found that I was placed on the "rolling waitlist." So it wouldn't hurt to call or email them about your status. But, if you don't hear by Friday then you've almost certainly also been placed on the waitlist. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi Everyone,

If someone could please give me advice. I sent my AMCAS application for this school the day before it was due, mainly because I was looking for more schools to apply to and discovered this. I received my secondary application about a week ago but I am worried that I might be too late to apply. Should I still send in my application? If it helps to judge, I have a 3.85GPA and 506MCAT with great extracurriculars.

Hi Everyone,

If someone could please give me advice. I sent my AMCAS application for this school the day before it was due, mainly because I was looking for more schools to apply to and discovered this. I received my secondary application about a week ago but I am worried that I might be too late to apply. Should I still send in my application? If it helps to judge, I have a 3.85GPA and 506MCAT with great extracurriculars.

Hi,

Not sure if you've seen some of my earlier posts, but I got my secondary pretty late last cycle too, and here I am. I don't know the inner workings of admissions, but if you get your app in soon, I'm sure it will be read. CNU looks at apps holistically. Your MCAT is a little bit low (my class' average is 33). But if the rest of your application is strong, then if I were you, I would apply. That's only if you're honestly interested in CNU though. If you're just applying because you feel like applying to more schools, I would maybe save your money. Because we're new, we really like to see people who genuinely want to be here. I'm not on AdCom, but I've interviewed applicants, and it's really easy to see when someone is applying because they have an interest in CNU vs just an interest in getting into any medical school. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Hi current students here, I have a question about the size of the school. I'm coming from undergrad at UC Berkeley and grad school at CU Boulder, and I loved that at both schools there was always SO much going on. So many new people to meet, lots of events, and I never felt cramped. Although I worked a ton, it was great to have a vibrant culture to explore in my limited free time. When I interviewed at CNU, I couldn't help but notice how very small the school is. Can someone (or many people) speak to how the school size and surrounding community affect your life and the quality and breadth of your experiences?

Hi current students here, I have a question about the size of the school. I'm coming from undergrad at UC Berkeley and grad school at CU Boulder, and I loved that at both schools there was always SO much going on. So many new people to meet, lots of events, and I never felt cramped. Although I worked a ton, it was great to have a vibrant culture to explore in my limited free time. When I interviewed at CNU, I couldn't help but notice how very small the school is. Can someone (or many people) speak to how the school size and surrounding community affect your life and the quality and breadth of your experiences?

Current M1. I'm from Sacramento and also went to UC Berkeley; still live in Sacramento. Elk Grove is definitely more laid back and spread out than Berkeley, with less going on in general, seeing as it's not a college town. That being said, Sacramento is a fun city with a strong sense of community and a good amount of fun things to do. If you were concerned about being bored in Elk Grove, I would recommend to consider living in Midtown Sacramento and commuting to Elk Grove (about 15 minutes with no traffic). Even if you live in Elk Grove, it's a short drive over to Sacramento when you have free time. For a weekend trip, you have SF 1.5 hours one way and Tahoe 2 hours the other way.

On the size of our school and how it relates to my social life, I don't think it makes a large impact. The people in our class are good about being inclusive and making time to do fun activities like rockclimbing, lifting, basketball, etc. There are also no cliques and it seems to me like for the most part, everyone is friends with everyone. At a larger school, you are probably more prone to having one small group of friends that you can latch on to so that you don't feel lost.

Reactions: 3 users

I might not be the best person to answer this, since I'm pretty biased towards smaller class sizes. I also went to Berkeley, and was definitely overwhelmed by the sheer number of people (I'm from a small town). I eventually grew to love it, but I'm naturally more comfortable in a smaller class environment, where I know my professors and they know me.

I will say though, that medical school is not like undergrad- you won't have the free time you might have had back then (even though I'm sure you were really busy at Cal too). We're so busy, that it's almost nice to not have a lot of distractions nearby. However, if you're looking for something to do, there are also always options. We've had some fun class events, and we do class trips every now and then (hikes up in the foothills, Santacon in SF, a group of us are going to Tahoe this weekend, etc). Our class is 90, and I think it's perfect. I like knowing the people around me. I haven't gotten sick of my classmates (yet...), but if I did, it wouldn't be all that hard to avoid them :p I really like the balance.

I'm battling a head cold, so sorry if that's not super coherent. I hope I answered your question- let me know if you have any more!

Reactions: 4 users
Just interviewed here and wanted to provide some info for those interested, but first a quick question - Are people doing thank you letters here? I've never had an MMI before so I don't really know who I would address it to.

As far as the interview, they had a social for us the night before (they said this was the first of its kind) and I would say all future interviewees should absolutely go. The current students are super friendly, helpful, and eager to answer questions. Additionally, they answered all concerns about the for-profit status of the school and the accreditation status, and I can say I would be very happy to go here if I got in. For the MMI portion, it is 6 stations, each with a faculty member and student member interviewing, and you first answer the MMI question for 5 minutes before answering a traditional question for 5 minutes.

Just interviewed here and wanted to provide some info for those interested, but first a quick question - Are people doing thank you letters here? I've never had an MMI before so I don't really know who I would address it to.

As far as the interview, they had a social for us the night before (they said this was the first of its kind) and I would say all future interviewees should absolutely go. The current students are super friendly, helpful, and eager to answer questions. Additionally, they answered all concerns about the for-profit status of the school and the accreditation status, and I can say I would be very happy to go here if I got in. For the MMI portion, it is 6 stations, each with a faculty member and student member interviewing, and you first answer the MMI question for 5 minutes before answering a traditional question for 5 minutes.

I'm glad you had a good time! To answer your question- I personally sent a Thank you after my interview last year. I did it as an overall thank you, and I mentioned a few names of professors I spoke to during the lunch hour, and students that I had met, but this isn't necessary. This year, as a student interviewer, I've actually gotten a few thank you notes from applicants (sent to the adcom and then relayed to me), which is really, really nice. I doubt it affects your status much if at all, but it's definitely appreciated!

I'm glad you had a good time! To answer your question- I personally sent a Thank you after my interview last year. I did it as an overall thank you, and I mentioned a few names of professors I spoke to during the lunch hour, and students that I had met, but this isn't necessary. This year, as a student interviewer, I've actually gotten a few thank you notes from applicants (sent to the adcom and then relayed to me), which is really, really nice. I doubt it affects your status much if at all, but it's definitely appreciated!
Quick question, do student interviewers get to see applicant applications in their entirety: gpa/MCAT?

Also, is there an opportunity to help decide who gets an interview as a student? I'm interested in becoming part of adcom wherever I end up, so I'm interested to see how they utilize students on adcom here!

Quick question, do student interviewers get to see applicant applications in their entirety: gpa/MCAT?

Also, is there an opportunity to help decide who gets an interview as a student? I'm interested in becoming part of adcom wherever I end up, so I'm interested to see how they utilize students on adcom here!

No, as student interviewers, all of our input comes 100% from our time with the applicant in the MMI. We don't know anything else about their application. CNU has a student interviewer training day, and then anyone who goes to that can sign up to be an interviewer. There is also one spot on the AdCom per class, which you can apply for early on in the year.

Hi there! Has anyone attempted to send any updates here? Do they accept them?

Hi there! Has anyone attempted to send any updates here? Do they accept them?
Yes, they usually send an email back in response after you send an update to COMadmissions@cnsu.edu.

Any recent II or acceptances?

Any recent II or acceptances?
Our last interview date was 1/13, and people usually hear back within two weeks. I'd expect to see some acceptances in the next few days. No idea on when II's will be sent out/if they've already been sent out.

Our last interview date was 1/13, and people usually hear back within two weeks. I'd expect to see some acceptances in the next few days. No idea on when II's will be sent out/if they've already been sent out.
Last II date or most recent interview date?

Ha, sorry for the ambiguous wording. Plenty of interview days left in the cycle! Sorry if I scared you.

Does anyone know if this school sends out rejections? I haven't heard anything since November

Does anyone know if this school sends out rejections? I haven't heard anything since November

The school will not inform you if they have decided not to interview you, in part because they may reconsider the decision.
To my knowledge if you are interviewed the school will inform you upon acceptance or rejection but not about being waitlisted.

Does this school accept ITA emails? I don't want to be too aggressive, but I really want an interview.