2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine? (maximum 250 words)

What is the value of giving back to your community as a physician? Is the role of a physician more important than others in the community? (maximum 250 words)

Describe an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds, different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (maximum 500 words)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (maximum 250 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone get a secondary yet? No word here

Nothing to report :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary recieved!

OOS: MCAT 517, GPA 3.95

Prompts:

Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine? (maximum 250 words)

What is the value of giving back to your community as a physician? Is the role of a physician more important than others in the community? (maximum 250 words)

Describe an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds, different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (maximum 500 words)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (maximum 250 words)

As an accepted incoming M1, I suggest you remember these things about CMed: it's a rural Michigan school, seeking to serve areas like the town it's founded in. They seem to like (but not favor) non- traditionals.

Of all the interviews I had last cycle this was the kindest and most sincere school. This school's heart "glows" (sincerity and meaning coming from the inside), rather than just "shines" (outer fanciness and baubles). Though, it is on a brand new med campus as well!

I can't wait to start classes in 20 days, and hope many of you will join me on campus next fall!

Shoot me a message if you have questions about CMed, and I will do what I can to help! I keenly remember the struggles of med school applications.

Best of luck all!

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone been able to successfully pay the application fee? When I try to pay it just takes me to a blank page :(

secondary received as well. OOS, 56% MCAT, 3.63 GPA.

Do they screen?

edit: They screen - but unsure what the cutoff is...

Last edited:
The app seems to state that they really want people to take CASPer and that they want the app back within 2 weeks. Does this mean that we should submit the secondary as soon as possible then take CASPer?

Also, has anyone taken CASPer? Any tips?

The app seems to state that they really want people to take CASPer and that they want the app back within 2 weeks. Does this mean that we should submit the secondary as soon as possible then take CASPer?

I was wondering the same thing... I signed up for the CASPer but couldn't get a date until July 26th so I think I'm just going to submit the secondary tonight and worry about CASPer later

Members don't see this ad :)
Was just able to pay and submit!!

Reactions: 2 users

Incoming CMED M1 here. I believe this is the first year they are implementing the CASPer test for admissions. Although it is recommended, I highly suggest you take it just so the adcom can paint a better picture of you as a whole person. From what I heard, you are given real-life scenarios and you have to type your response based on the given questions. I guess its nice practice for MMI prompts as well. Best of luck to everyone in this cycle. You got this!

I couldn't agree more with @star.buck 's comment about CMED! Reflecting back, my application package to CMED (including secondaries and interview) was the best foot I put forward out of all the schools I applied to. I don't know if it was fate or it was the fact that CMed's mission and values was what I truly resonated with. I'm incredibly excited to start classes and meet my new colleagues, professors, and mentors!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when our* applications will become "under review"?

Last edited:
Last year the II's started in early August. So, I'd say it's safe to assume if you're marked as "completed" being reviewed may also happen shortly.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
secondary received as well. OOS, 56% MCAT, 3.63 GPA.

Do they screen?

edit: They screen - but unsure what the cutoff is...

I had asked the Adcom's a while back about this: GPA cutoff is 3.25 and MCAT is min 24 (didn't give new MCAT cutoff). :)

Anyone have any insight regarding CASPer? Signed up for tomorrow night :O

Well... CASPer was tough... Any idea how much weight it will hold in applications? I know that this is the first year that CMU is using it so hopefully not too much?

Well... CASPer was tough... Any idea how much weight it will hold in applications? I know that this is the first year that CMU is using it so hopefully not too much?
OMG, I feel like i'm out of breath after taking that thing. haha.
No idea how much weight it holds though... sorry.

Just finished CASPer! Took it in my pjs hope they don't mind how I look in my picture :laugh: Feels like a just ran a race!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone's secondary progressed past the "Application Complete" status?

Couple things.... First, does CMU wait until you take CASPer to send secondaries (my government ID didn't get verified for some reason the first time I provided it and didn't know until 10 minutes before I was supposed to take the test on the 26th, so I have to wait till the 11th to take it now)? Second, does CMU have any global health opportunities?

Last edited:
Couple things.... First, does CMU wait until you take CASPer to send secondaries (my government ID didn't get verified for some reason the first time I provided it and didn't know until 10 minutes before I was supposed to take the test on the 26th, so I have to wait till the 11th to take it now)? Second, does CMU have any global health opportunities?

For the logistics on CASPer and your secondaries I'd suggest calling the admissions office. They may need to verify your ID.

CMed is largely a rural and underserved focused school, especially in regards to Michigan's needs for physicians. That being said there have been global outreach opportunities that students have taken part of, but I believe these to be more general opportunities with not a high level of medical focus. However, that doesn't mean these opportunities wont become available as the school establishes itself. The school is very willing to work with the specific desires of its students.

Secondary still says "Application complete" but has not moved to the "under review" part. I believe their school year officially begins on 7/31 based on:

As an accepted incoming M1, I suggest you remember these things about CMed: it's a rural Michigan school, seeking to serve areas like the town it's founded in. They seem to like (but not favor) non- traditionals.

Of all the interviews I had last cycle this was the kindest and most sincere school. This school's heart "glows" (sincerity and meaning coming from the inside), rather than just "shines" (outer fanciness and baubles). Though, it is on a brand new med campus as well!

I can't wait to start classes in 20 days, and hope many of you will join me on campus next fall!

Shoot me a message if you have questions about CMed, and I will do what I can to help! I keenly remember the struggles of med school applications.

Best of luck all!

So I assume we start getting reviewed when they settle in so hopefully soon! Best of luck to everyone!

Secondary still says "Application complete" but has not moved to the "under review" part. I believe their school year officially begins on 7/31 based on:

So I assume we start getting reviewed when they settle in so hopefully soon! Best of luck to everyone!

Classes start August 1st, tomorrow! As I recall the application going from "complete", to "under review" happened the same day as the interview invites for that set of applications. Really all you can do now is sit tight and be patient. Best of luck to everyone!

Classes start August 1st, tomorrow! As I recall the application going from "complete", to "under review" happened the same day as the interview invites for that set of applications. Really all you can do now is sit tight and be patient. Best of luck to everyone!

Good luck on your first day!!

"Application under review"
App was complete July 13th

Just an encouraging thought... I've counted 6 Canadians so far and lost count of the OOS M1's in my current class. I do appreciate the diversity in my class! (Michigander here)

Just an encouraging thought... I've counted 6 Canadians so far and lost count of the OOS M1's in my current class. I do appreciate the diversity in my class! (Michigander here)
How long have you been in class and how has it been so far?

One thought is that its possible that some of them might have dual US/Canadian nationality, which would have essentially made their Canadian nationality irrelevant in the app process.

Pretty sure the US/Canadian doesn't apply to the ones I know... They hail from other countries, Canadian for college, then here. Several don't even have green cards. Moral of the story, you can be a non-US citizen and get into this school! (That doesn't mean it's not a predominantly Michigan class, which it is, because they do want to make Michigan doctors to serve Michigan).

We just finished orientation week. White coat ceremony tomorrow!

Pretty sure the US/Canadian doesn't apply to the ones I know... They hail from other countries, Canadian for college, then here. Several don't even have green cards. Moral of the story, you can be a non-US citizen and get into this school! (That doesn't mean it's not a predominantly Michigan class, which it is, because they do want to make Michigan doctors to serve Michigan).

We just finished orientation week. White coat ceremony tomorrow!
Congrats!

IIs started going out last year around this time. I still just have the green check on application complete, haven't moved on to application under review yet. Has anyone gotten to "Application Under Review" at this point?

IIs started going out last year around this time. I still just have the green check on application complete, haven't moved on to application under review yet. Has anyone gotten to "Application Under Review" at this point?

I've got green next to "under review". Submitted 7/14

I submitted on 7/17 and mine is still not under review.

Secondary complete 07/27, been under review since 08/01