2016-2017 Hofstra University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't make it. If someone is going, could you post a recap of the weekend for us who are unable to get out to the event?
It was very obvious that the school wants to recruit good students, but what stood out to me is that the students also seemed to really love their school. They put on a packed two days of events for us but everything was well-organized and meant to help you find out if Hofstra is the right fit for you. Overall very impressed, I didn't like the school very much on interview day but now it's one of my top choices! Let me know if you have more specific questions.
 
It was very obvious that the school wants to recruit good students, but what stood out to me is that the students also seemed to really love their school. They put on a packed two days of events for us but everything was well-organized and meant to help you find out if Hofstra is the right fit for you. Overall very impressed, I didn't like the school very much on interview day but now it's one of my top choices! Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Thank you for the recap! I am on the waitlist now and love this school and was wondering about how many people were there, and whether most people felt like they were leaning towards hofstra. I know its all speculation but I'm curious about any information regarding waitlist movement
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also would love to know this. Do they give any merit scholarships alongside financial aid as well?
My need was met, but I didn't receive any merit aid. That being said, I am not URM/from an underprivileged background. I have good stats and experience. When I spoke to the financial aid folks, they said aid is all need-based, but I have heard of the dean pulling some strings for really outstanding/unique folks.
 
My need was met, but I didn't receive any merit aid. That being said, I am not URM/from an underprivileged background. I have good stats and experience. When I spoke to the financial aid folks, they said aid is all need-based, but I have heard of the dean pulling some strings for really outstanding/unique folks.
Thank you for the response! I figured the aid was strong here given their tendency to pull high stats candidates and their affiliation with Northwell.
 
Thank you for the response! I figured the aid was strong here given their tendency to pull high stats candidates and their affiliation with Northwell.

Not sure how they calculate financial need, but I got all federal loans to cover the entire CoA. I don't consider my family wealthy by any means..
 
My need was met, but I didn't receive any merit aid. That being said, I am not URM/from an underprivileged background. I have good stats and experience. When I spoke to the financial aid folks, they said aid is all need-based, but I have heard of the dean pulling some strings for really outstanding/unique folks.

Did you get an email? I haven't received any type of financial notification yet


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
50% Tuition Scholarship, not thrilled with the prospect of taking out 25k in loans but I suppose things can be worse...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else here sort of worried by the fact that our aid packages are not guaranteed all 4 years? Is this normal?
 
Just withdrew myself from waitlist consideration after getting my first acceptance today. Best of luck to all of you waiting for good news!!!!
 
Withdrew MD acceptance just now. I hope my spot goes one of you wonderful people here! Good luck guys!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
accepted off the waitlist today! Going back through this thread and the website to find some answers-

I think class is mandatory since most everything is PEARLS driven?

Does anyone know if the first two years are p/f unranked?

Was accepted off the waitlist too! Am very conflicted between Hofstra and another school.

Congrats! Did you guys send in any updates or letters of interest/intent lately?
 
accepted off the waitlist today! Going back through this thread and the website to find some answers-

I think class is mandatory since most everything is PEARLS driven?

Does anyone know if the first two years are p/f unranked?

Was accepted off the waitlist too! Am very conflicted between Hofstra and another school.

Congrats! How were you notified? Email or phone call?
 
I received answers to my own questions, but I wanted to share:

Class is mandatory and attendance is taken!

The first two years are p/f unranked.
 
I got off the waitlist on Monday (interviewed in September) and the admissions dean called me to set up a time to visit the school. Has this happened to anyone else?
 
Hi, everyone! I'm a first-year medical student at HNSOM and wanted to extend my congratulations to you all on your acceptances!! If anyone has questions about the school, curriculum, living on Long Island, etc., feel free to ask me here or shoot me a PM!
 
Does Hofstra extend any financial aid or scholarships to med students.

Anyone has lowered tuition fee please. Advice
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you get a confirmation when you withdrew from the portal?
I did not. You can always email the admission team to make sure the withdrawal was processed to ease any worries. I only know mine was processed because a week later, I got a warning from another school about multiple acceptances and it listed only school X, not Hofstra.