2023-2024 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @neuromed61849 for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Hofstra Secondary Prompts

1. Explain why the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell is a good fit for your medical education journey? 250 words

2. “The School of Medicine, in a culture of community, scholarship and innovation, is dedicated to inspiring diverse, promising students to lead and transform medicine for the betterment of humanity.” How do you feel you would contribute to the Zucker School of Medicine’s mission and values and where do you see this taking you in the future? 250 words

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS just received a secondary! they changed their prompts anyone know what #2 is asking? is it another diversity or more of how you want to impact medicine?

Explain why the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell is a good fit for your medical education journey? 250 words

“The School of Medicine, in a culture of community, scholarship and innovation, is dedicated to inspiring diverse, promising students to lead and transform medicine for the betterment of humanity.” How do you feel you would contribute to the Zucker School of Medicine’s mission and values and where do you see this taking you in the future? 250 words

Reactions: 1 users
OOS just received a secondary! they changed their prompts anyone know what #2 is asking? is it another diversity or more of how you want to impact medicine?

Explain why the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell is a good fit for your medical education journey? 250 words

“The School of Medicine, in a culture of community, scholarship and innovation, is dedicated to inspiring diverse, promising students to lead and transform medicine for the betterment of humanity.” How do you feel you would contribute to the Zucker School of Medicine’s mission and values and where do you see this taking you in the future? 250 words
Are those the only two prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)

It seems like it’s a bit of both honestly. There’s a diversity aspect because it’s mentioned in their quoted mission/values. But there’s also an impact in medicine aspect by asking how you see your future.

Side note, are you an ED applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like it’s a bit of both honestly. There’s a diversity aspect because it’s mentioned in their quoted mission/values. But there’s also an impact in medicine aspect by asking how you see your future.

Side note, are you an ED applicant?
No regular MD

Anyone else not receive a secondary?

Application received email received 8:53 EST. Says secondary will be received within two business days.

Recieved confirmation email

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received but it says that they haven’t received my CASPER results even though they were delivered… anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
IS secondary received but it says that they haven’t received my CASPER results even though they were delivered… anyone else having this problem?
Same here, this has happened at a couple of schools. They’re probably just slow updating the portal right now since it just went up.

Same here, this has happened at a couple of schools. They’re probably just slow updating the portal right now since it just went up.
Do they update the scores manually?

Yep, not seeing it in my portal as well. From my experience with other schools, they probably update every few days so I think I will just wait.

Has anyone had the problem in their portal where even if the current word count was not met it stops letting you enter words?

Has anyone had the problem in their portal where even if the current word count was not met it stops letting you enter words?
Yes, for the gap year question. Last year it was 1500 characters, which I believe it still is, although the question now says 200 words. I just shortened my answer back to 1500 characters.

Yep, not seeing it in my portal as well. From my experience with other schools, they probably update every few days so I think I will just wait.
Having the same issue, also assuming they will update it eventually.

How much do you think the MCAT is considered at this school? Bit discouraged that the average is so high but msar seems to show that applicants with a wide range of scores were able to get in

When they asked if you've taken part in a "pipeline program" are they referring to a post-bac/SMP? I did a post-bac but the wording of the question is throwing me off.... considering they also say it could be a high school level program.

I'm thinking they may just be referring to support programs for underrepresented students, but not sure.

I received an email that my application is complete and in review, but the portal shows they still have not received my Casper score. Does Hofstra review applications before casper distribution?
I just received an email that my application is complete and in review also, but my Casper score was updated. I was previously just waiting for my Casper score to be entered in the system, so I am not sure why your application was completed before Casper distribution. Either way, glad that the application is complete for the both of us now!

• Excluding BS-BA/MD programs, have you previously applied to an allopathic medical school, even if not ours?
    • If yes, what year(s)? and what was the outcome? (250 words)
How much of a response are they looking for here? Based on the question asked, it should only be a few sentences but they give you space for 250 words.
Bullet points are fine.

I just said Hofstra, doubt they care too about the exact term much as long as you say something that relates to them. Just don't like call them Einstein or something like that.

Any idea how heavily Hofstra considers casper? apparently I'm a literal sociopath and I'm questioning if it's even worth submitting with my 1st quartile

Any idea how heavily Hofstra considers casper? apparently I'm a literal sociopath and I'm questioning if it's even worth submitting with my 1st quartile
I can't speak to the school, but if your stats fit, I say apply. I have heard too many stories about people with 1st quartile Caspers getting interviews at *multiple* "Casper-heavy" schools to discourage anyone from applying based on their Casper.

I can't speak to the school, but if your stats fit, I say apply. I have heard too many stories about people with 1st quartile Caspers getting interviews at *multiple* "Casper-heavy" schools to discourage anyone from applying based on their Casper.
Thank you! that's what my gut is saying (since I've already submitted to casper schools before I got the score) but just needed a gentle shove from someone lol

• Love
II received!!! Complete 7/8. My first II, so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
II received!! OOS, LM 75, complete 07/20

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to be that person but what time on the 20th and what was your CASPer?
Hahah ur fine I get the neuroticism 🤣 I was complete 5:50 pm and I got a fourth quartile on my Casper

Are the OOS II’s from states neighboring New York? Or do they have ties to NY?