2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been able to confirm if Ms. Walk retired?
Ms. Walk was still there when I visited the school yesterday

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed her after getting the email. still waiting on the letter packet

I think it refers to your receiving the email. I haven't received the physical letter either. Do yo FAFSA!

Shoot! To be fair, I was in the middle of finals. I'll email her now. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who applied in October received an II yet?

Just received an interview!!!!! Complete 9/7

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, congrats to those who received II and of course to those accepted.

I was complete in October and have only received the Interim email. I know a few people are in this boat. I actually shadowed an alum of Howard and was wondering if people think its a good idea to get that physician to call for me? Too pushy? On top of that I was going to swing by soon and try to talk to someone. Thoughts?

IMO...If they have any strong connections, I would absolutely see if they had anyone they could speak to in order to help you out. No harm in that.

Hey everyone, congrats to those who received II and of course to those accepted.

I was complete in October and have only received the Interim email. I know a few people are in this boat. I actually shadowed an alum of Howard and was wondering if people think its a good idea to get that physician to call for me? Too pushy? On top of that I was going to swing by soon and try to talk to someone. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Howard accepts updates/letters of intent post interview?

I'm not sure if they discuss applications over phone calls so I would suggest asking the alum you shadowed to write you a recommendation and upload that to Amcas. Then you can always call Howard and let them know you have an additional letter from an alum or whatever you want to say. Also I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many recommendation letters Howard accepts so I would find that out too.

Thanks jojo24 and Camcam3 for the advice.

Does howard accept updates? Any recent II? Any OOS luck?
Yes they accept updates but you may want to email a few times or find another email than the hcm one. I emailed my update there, did not get a response. Then, since I live in DC, headed over a few days later and asked them about updates and they did admit that since that hcm email gets a huge influx, sometimes emails get overlooked :/...... But maybe first email and wait to hear back, then call and tell them directly if you're out of state...... Also, Howard is private so they don't have DC preference over other areas of the country.

As for II, I was told when I was in the admin office the other day that they are right in the middle of their interview season.... They could even be interviewing into May.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes they accept updates but you may want to email a few times or find another email than the hcm one. I emailed my update there, did not get a response. Then, since I live in DC, headed over a few days later and asked them about updates and they did admit that since that hcm email gets a huge influx, sometimes emails get overlooked :/...... But maybe first email and wait to hear back, then call and tell them directly if you're out of state...... Also, Howard is private so they don't have DC preference over other areas of the country.

As for II, I was told when I was in the admin office the other day that they are right in the middle of their interview season.... They could even be interviewing into May.

Did they happen to give you en email when you visited them?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board. I submitted my secondary in August, and was interviewed late November. I'm still waiting to hear back but I think it's because of the holidays and all of that. They did say at the interview that regardless of being accepted or rejected they would send you an email once you came out of committee, so that's helping me not worry as much. Has anyone else who interviewed in November heard anything?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board. I submitted my secondary in August, and was interviewed late November. I'm still waiting to hear back but I think it's because of the holidays and all of that. They did say at the interview that regardless of being accepted or rejected they would send you an email once you came out of committee, so that's helping me not worry as much. Has anyone else who interviewed in November heard anything?
I am in the same boat as I interviewed on the 29th of November. I have not heard anything about coming out of committee yet. I received an email before the break stating the first review meeting is to be held on 1/3, 1/6, or 1/17. Hopefully, we are able to hear something within the next week.

Hey y'all!
I am an accepted student and emailed Ms. Walk about all the kerfuffle with the acceptances. They are updating the payment system-the update being delayed by the holidays and payment wouldn't be due until Feb. I believe. Also, the packages should be mailed out soon. She said end of the week and I emailed her a few days ago. Hope this helps soothe any concerns. Good luck to all !

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all!
I am an accepted student and emailed Ms. Walk about all the kerfuffle with the acceptances. They are updating the payment system-the update being delayed by the holidays and payment wouldn't be due until Feb. I believe. Also, the packages should be mailed out soon. She said end of the week and I emailed her a few days ago. Hope this helps soothe any concerns. Good luck to all !

Hey Everyone,

I am also an accepted student (interviewed October 25th), I called admssions on Friday last week. They said they sent the acceptance packages out either Friday or Today (due to MLK day). We should receive them sometime this week or early next week.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! For the accepted students, how long did it take for you to find out a decision? Just curious, I'll be interviewing next week. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! For the accepted students, how long did it take for you to find out a decision? Just curious, I'll be interviewing next week. Thanks!

I have the same question as well, Ill be interviewing next week too!

Still waiting for the decision notification. Hopefully they've already mailed it and are waiting to email me to let me know I'm out of committee. The wait is brutal!

I was complete early November and waiting on an II. Anyone know how soon (or late) I'll hear back? The wait is a killer!

What factors are everyone using to decide between attending Howard and other schools?

My criteria is, if they accept me, I'm going!

Reactions: 11 users
Got my acceptance letter today!!!! Interviewed in November & I did receive an "out of committee" email in the first week of January.

Reactions: 8 users
Got my acceptance letter today!!!! Interviewed in November & I did receive an "out of committee" email in the first week of January.
Congratulations! That's awesome. When in November did you interview?

Has anyone successfully sent an update and received a response/interview? I sent one to the hucm email and I feel like it's just going to sit there. But also don't know how receptive they'd be to individual emails...

Has anyone successfully sent an update and received a response/interview? I sent one to the hucm email and I feel like it's just going to sit there. But also don't know how receptive they'd be to individual emails...
I called back in November and let them know that I had an update/interest letter that needed to be added to my file. The person who I spoke to gave me their personal Howard email and told me to send it so it can be added to my file. I received an interview about 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: 3 users
I called back in November and let them know that I had an update/interest letter that needed to be added to my file. The person who I spoke to gave me their personal Howard email and told me to send it so it can be added to my file. I received an interview about 2 weeks ago.

What was the email address?

I interviewed on October 25th and received my acceptance decision on Dec. 14th. Howard says they send the"out of committee email" before you receive your decision. I received both the out of committee and decision a few minutes apart. But that may have only been the case for the people who interviewed on that same day.

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to call the admissions office but can't seem to reach them, all I get is a beep and silence. Anyone know how to reach them? Their calling hours end in 40 minutes :(

Anyone know how many people have been accepted so far? Or have a rough estimate

Trying to call the admissions office but can't seem to reach them, all I get is a beep and silence. Anyone know how to reach them? Their calling hours end in 40 minutes :(

I think on Fridays it's easier to reach them. Esp if you call right at 2pm

Did anyone who interviewed in Dec receive an out of committee email yet?? Or are Nov people still waiting?

Can someone who's interviewed describe what the interview day was like? Thanks in advance!

I interviewed November 25 and haven't heard yet. As for the interview it's pretty standard. They did an intro and had us fill out some paperwork. Then we took a tour and did one interview with a faculty member. Then, we had lunch, a detailed tour, and closed with a financial aid workshop. It was by far my favorite interview. Everyone I met was incredibly welcoming and seemed to want us to succeed. Hope this helps

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone who interviewed in Dec receive an out of committee email yet?? Or are Nov people still waiting?
Still waiting, I interviewed Nov 29th and received the out of committee e-mail 5 days ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile