2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Can anyone remember if OHSU is receptive to receiving letters of interest/intent? I'm in the hold pool. Life-long resident of Oregon so going here would be a great option for me. On the portal it says "Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision". And im wondering is this saying "letters of interest/intent will not have any effect"?
 
Alright, so I called in. They said there are many people in our same boat and not too worry--at this point no news is good news. I got the impression that the woman I spoke with answered many calls from anxious applicants because she spoke very reassuringly, haha. She mentioned how they had a team of 4 people fielding thousands of applications and it's peak interview season so they are swamped.
I also asked her about some updates--I mentioned I sent an email to the interview coordinator and never got a reply. I asked if she knew if those updates had made there way to my interviewer and if there was a better way to contact the interview coordinator. She said email was indeed the best method of contact, and she said my updates had most likely been added to my e-file.

Unless you have a more urgent matter and you've already tried emailing, I would probably avoid calling. You'll most likely get the same info I did.
Thanks for this update. I really just can't believe we haven't gotten anything yet. Sometimes I feel like my portal is broken because I think how else could it have possibly taken this long for them to update us? (This is my 15th week too.)
:boom:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone remember if OHSU is receptive to receiving letters of interest/intent? I'm in the hold pool. Life-long resident of Oregon so going here would be a great option for me. On the portal it says "Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision". And im wondering is this saying "letters of interest/intent will not have any effect"?
I called in December and asked if I should submit a letter of intent/interest before or after they updated me post-interview. I was told that any update I submitted after they gave me a decision (acceptance, hold pool, or rejection) would not be considered. So yeah... unfortunately I think that line on the portal means exactly that.
 
I called in December and asked if I should submit a letter of intent/interest before or after they updated me post-interview. I was told that any update I submitted after they gave me a decision (acceptance, hold pool, or rejection) would not be considered. So yeah... unfortunately I think that line on the portal means exactly that.
Okay good to know. I'm actually kind of glad to know that. I'm not a fan when schools are super ambiguous about wanting extra letters and **** post-interview.
 
II today. Dates available were March 24th and April 5th. A couple of things:

(1) What time does interview day end?
(2) Does anyone want to switch interview days with me? PM me if so.

It depends if your 1 on 1 interview is part of the MMI circuit or not. If it is you should be done by about 2:30.
 
II today. Dates available were March 24th and April 5th. A couple of things:

(1) What time does interview day end?
(2) Does anyone want to switch interview days with me? PM me if so.
My 1-on-1 started after 3pm, with others interviewing as late as 4:45pm. (We had a few hours break between lunch and our interviews, which was awful. My energy, which had been up for the MMIs, was depleted by the time my 1-0n-1 began.) Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones whose 1-on-1 is part of your MMIs. Also, due to the snow storm that day I was stuck at CLSB until 8pm... Again, hopefully your day ends earlier and less cold than mine did. Good luck!
 
It depends if your 1 on 1 interview is part of the MMI circuit or not. If it is you should be done by about 2:30.

My 1-on-1 started after 3pm, with others interviewing as late as 4:45pm. (We had a few hours break between lunch and our interviews, which was awful. My energy, which had been up for the MMIs, was depleted by the time my 1-0n-1 began.) Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones whose 1-on-1 is part of your MMIs. Also, due to the snow storm that day I was stuck at CLSB until 8pm... Again, hopefully your day ends earlier and less cold than mine did. Good luck!

Thank you!

I can't find a detailed "Cost of Attendance" on the ohsu.edu website—just tuition, etc. I'm pretty sure that all accredited institutions of higher education are required to provide the federal government with an detailed estimate of the cost of attendance each year to set the amount of loans. Can anyone shed some light here? Current students, perhaps?
 
Thank you!

I can't find a detailed "Cost of Attendance" on the ohsu.edu website—just tuition, etc. I'm pretty sure that all accredited institutions of higher education are required to provide the federal government with an detailed estimate of the cost of attendance each year to set the amount of loans. Can anyone shed some light here? Current students, perhaps?

See the attached picture from the booklet they will give you on your interview day. So ~$67K for residents and ~88K for non-residents.
IMG_6510.JPG
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the hold list, having to make some pretty big decisions regarding where to move and setting up financial aid and whatnot pretty soon here.

Does anybody know anything about calling for just a little bit more information? I don't want to seem like I'm asking for special treatment but I could (really) use some more insight as to what my chances are.

Any ideas on how to phrase this in a call or email? Has anyone called for more information about a hold status?
 
On the hold list, having to make some pretty big decisions regarding where to move and setting up financial aid and whatnot pretty soon here.

Does anybody know anything about calling for just a little bit more information? I don't want to seem like I'm asking for special treatment but I could (really) use some more insight as to what my chances are.

Any ideas on how to phrase this in a call or email? Has anyone called for more information about a hold status?

I'm in a similar boat, I'm on hold and was accepted at another school. The wait is brutal but I don't think calling or emailing them will help you get an answer. This is just how OHSU does their admissions process. I have a feeling we won't know until April.
 
I'm in a similar boat, I'm on hold and was accepted at another school. The wait is brutal but I don't think calling or emailing them will help you get an answer. This is just how OHSU does their admissions process. I have a feeling we won't know until April.
I might just try a call tomorrow and let y'all know how it goes. I mean at worst they don't give me any information, wouldn't affect file or outcomes or anything.
 
Hi, I have been put on hold post interview. I know that the admission office has indicated that they don't want any update letters. However, I'd like to send in my transcripts of Spring term (last year) and following winter term. Can anyone tell me if this is appropriate?
 
Hi, I have been put on hold post interview. I know that the admission office has indicated that they don't want any update letters. However, I'd like to send in my transcripts of Spring term (last year) and following winter term. Can anyone tell me if this is appropriate?
They don't accept transcript updates once your primary application is submitted, let alone past the post-interview decision. I called about this after I had my interview.
 
I know some people have been waiting 15wks+ post-interview, but I am just curious if anyone who interviewed December 21st has heard anything.
 
Will there be any confirmation that our acceptance contract was received? I can see on the portal what day it was sent, but there's no indication if the admissions office has processed it or not
 
Will there be any confirmation that our acceptance contract was received? I can see on the portal what day it was sent, but there's no indication if the admissions office has processed it or not
Your portal will update when it has been received by the admissions office, mine was marked received yesterday
 
Hi, I have been put on hold post interview. I know that the admission office has indicated that they don't want any update letters. However, I'd like to send in my transcripts of Spring term (last year) and following winter term. Can anyone tell me if this is appropriate?

When did you interview?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Applied DO only this cycle w/ 1 II so far. Thinking about applying to OHSU next year since I am resident. Maybe someone can give me an honest opinion if I would stand any chance.

Graduated from undergrad in Utah 2013 w/ BS Exercise Science, moved to OR in 2014 and went to PCC for medical assisting. Been working as a floating MA for Providence for 2 years.

Both cGPA and sGPA are between 3.0 and 3.1.

510 MCAT (129, 124, 128, 129)

Hoping to accumulate more volunteer hours and shadowing hours before apps open.

Go for it. I'm a second time applicant. This cycle I interviewed in November and was accepted January. I'm a long time Oregon resident. 32 MCAT, 2.9something cGPA. I've been working as a medical assistant close to 3 years and have some other post-college experiences.
You stand a chance. Show them who you are once you get an interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading through last year's thread and it seems like a lot of people accepted last year decided not to attend because of concerns with the new curriculum...can any first year students provide their opinions of how they are handling the new curriculum? Also if any first years want to comment on how financial aid was handled last year that may be helpful, I agree it is kind of weird that we won't hear back until after April 30th.....
 
I was reading through last year's thread and it seems like a lot of people accepted last year decided not to attend because of concerns with the new curriculum...can any first year students provide their opinions of how they are handling the new curriculum? Also if any first years want to comment on how financial aid was handled last year that may be helpful, I agree it is kind of weird that we won't hear back until after April 30th.....
I would really like to know this as well!
 
So, other OOS people accepted to OHSU: What are your thoughts? I'm personally leaning towards withdrawing my own acceptance soon due to the ~90k COA/year, even though I really like the school. If that'd mean one more person accepted out of hold and freed from stress early, so much the better.
 
Last edited:
I would really like to know this as well!


I'm a second year that just completed the didactic portion of the curriculum and Step1. I think the new curriculum prepared me well for boards and gave me some awesome early clinical experiences. The administration responds to student feedback and I can't speak for the first years but I would venture to say that their version of the curriculum is improved over ours, as ours was a drastic improvement over the first iteration. I am confident that you will get a stellar education at OHSU. Congrats to all accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear back.
 
Does anyone have an idea the latest you could be pulled off the waitlist once April 30th has passed?
 
Does anyone have an idea the latest you could be pulled off the waitlist once April 30th has passed?

Until they fill the class. I know of med students, not at OHSU but at other institutions, that didn't start med school until the second or third day of orientation because someone dropped out the first day of orientation. They said at my interview they'd like to fill the class at least a month before the start of school, but they also mentioned a few years ago they didn't fill the class until 2 weeks before orientation.
 
Put on hold today. 13 weeks out from interview


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How did they notify you? Email? I am 13+ weeks out as well (Interview was 11/18) and it still has nothing on my portal beyond the fact that I interviewed. Did they tell you anything else except that you were put on hold? Thanks!
 
The portal shows I was put on hold today. Interviewed 10 weeks ago on 12/14.
Did your most recent update before that say "Your MD interview has been scheduled for (Insert date here" then thank you for interviewing and ask you to fill out a survey about interview day? Just trying to get some context lol.
 
Alright, so I called in. They said there are many people in our same boat and not too worry--at this point no news is good news. I got the impression that the woman I spoke with answered many calls from anxious applicants because she spoke very reassuringly, haha. She mentioned how they had a team of 4 people fielding thousands of applications and it's peak interview season so they are swamped.
I also asked her about some updates--I mentioned I sent an email to the interview coordinator and never got a reply. I asked if she knew if those updates had made there way to my interviewer and if there was a better way to contact the interview coordinator. She said email was indeed the best method of contact, and she said my updates had most likely been added to my e-file.

Unless you have a more urgent matter and you've already tried emailing, I would probably avoid calling. You'll most likely get the same info I did.

Did she say "No news is good news" or is that the impression you got? Either way I will take it lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did they notify you? Email? I am 13+ weeks out as well (Interview was 11/18) and it still has nothing on my portal beyond the fact that I interviewed. Did they tell you anything else except that you were put on hold? Thanks!

It was updated on portal with no email. Just says put on hold until April 30th where at that point they'll either accept, reject, or put you on the alternative list.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Did she say "No news is good news" or is that the impression you got? Either way I will take it lol
She said it outright. Like I said, she's probably very used to neurotic/anxious premeds calling in and has got her assuring spiel down, haha. I think the distinguishing thing is, while other schools may never outright reject you and just ignore you forever, OHSU WILL give you your decision once they've met and discussed you. So basically waiting is not a bad thing, and it's not a good thing. It's just a thing and you don't need to worry about it. And you haven't been put on hold/rejected yet! I got accepted around 16ish weeks post interview, so it's completely possible.
 
vancouver wa resident here, should i apply next cycle? Im basically an Oregonian since I shop there so much. 🙂)))