2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! Stats? Hoping to get one too :)
I'm IS, 3.89 cGPA, 503 MCAT, first time applicant. Lots of clinical experience and some strong research experience. I hope you get one soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Is it normal to not have received the email yet? The nail biting never ends :p
I think so. I didn't check my portal before getting the email, but at my interview they said the portal is updated before any emails go out in the case of IIs and acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today. Interviewed 10/21!

Reactions: 6 users
Any other IS/mission group people at 12+ weeks to hear about an II or pre-II rejection? I'm at 14 weeks and anxious to hear back

Any other IS/mission group people at 12+ weeks to hear about an II or pre-II rejection? I'm at 14 weeks and anxious to hear back
Don't lose hope! I submitted my secondary July 10th, waited until October 3rd to get invited to interview, and was accepted last month! Seems to me like OHSU just operates a little slower than other schools.

complete on 11/15, haven't heard anything yet. The portal says "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review."
Anyone in the same status?

complete on 11/15, haven't heard anything yet. The portal says "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review."
Anyone in the same status?

!!!!!! what! has this always been a status? are you IS?

i was complete early September, mission group, OOS, and have yet to hear anything (including the above status).

!!!!!! what! has this always been a status? are you IS?

i was complete early September, mission group, OOS, and have yet to hear anything (including the above status).

I am IS.. feel upset because don't know what does this means...

I am IS.. feel upset because don't know what does this means...

I was placed in that pool last year which didn't result in an II. My guess is they wait until they are most of the way through the cycle, and if they feel unhappy about their interview pool or need to interview more people, they pull them off that list. Just a guess though

I was complete 10/02 and heard absolutely nothing. I'm OOS but thought I fall within one of their groups...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed in that pool last year which didn't result in an II. My guess is they wait until they are most of the way through the cycle, and if they feel unhappy about their interview pool or need to interview more people, they pull them off that list. Just a guess though
what is your stats last year?

what is your stats last year?

Non-trad student with grade repair - so using my stats won't really help you. They weren't much different than this year and I got an II this year...so

After waiting 10 weeks post-interview I got placed in the hold pool, pending a final decision until April 30th. I'm quite disappointed with this decision as a life-long and current Oregon native, OHSU is one of my top choices for that reason. Also I considered myself a pretty competitive applicant, LizzyM of 73-74 and I have had success with some other more high tier schools this cycle already. I understand the hold pool is different than a typical waitlist but I can't remember how many applicants typically get an acceptance off of the hold pool. Does anyone remember or can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.

Non-trad student with grade repair - so using my stats won't really help you. They weren't much different than this year and I got an II this year...so
Well.. congratulations to you!!

After waiting 10 weeks post-interview I got placed in the hold pool, pending a final decision until April 30th. I'm quite disappointed with this decision as a life-long and current Oregon native, OHSU is one of my top choices for that reason. Also I considered myself a pretty competitive applicant, LizzyM of 73-74 and I have had success with some other more high tier schools this cycle already. I understand the hold pool is different than a typical waitlist but I can't remember how many applicants typically get an acceptance off of the hold pool. Does anyone remember or can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.

From past threads, looks like they went into the 40s

Hold pool does not equal wait list which is what I think you are referring (40)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello. I'm an IS applicant, completed 9/23. They said it would take 12 weeks for a decision, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet at 14 weeks. I checked the portal and there's nothing to indicate any change. Should I give them a call? Or are they just a little behind this year?

Hello. I'm an IS applicant, completed 9/23. They said it would take 12 weeks for a decision, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet at 14 weeks. I checked the portal and there's nothing to indicate any change. Should I give them a call? Or are they just a little behind this year?
I'm IS and was complete 9/30, I received an II last Wednesday but no email. They say its because the interview scheduling person is on holiday, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing anything yet. I expect there will be a lot more action this week as people are coming back from vacation.

Last edited:
Current students: what books/ online sources / things should we get before school starts? Thanks :)

Has anyone who interviewed in early November received a decision yet?

Yup, I interviewed 10/19 and, despite my ritualistic portal checking, have heard nothing.

Hello all! Oregon resident here. I am interviewing soon and I'm not sure what to expect. Can someone who's been interviewed at OHSU tell me how their interview day went and what to expect in questions? Thanks, and good luck to you all!

Hello all! Oregon resident here. I am interviewing soon and I'm not sure what to expect. Can someone who's been interviewed at OHSU tell me how their interview day went and what to expect in questions? Thanks, and good luck to you all!
The big interview just depends on your interviewer. Another interviewee and I had very different experiences.
My experience was very conversational and relaxed--I was not nervous at all and I thought I would be. The half hour FLEW by and I really enjoyed myself. MMIs are great because you get "warmed up" really fast and allow you to better show who you are.
In general it's always good to prepare by looking up common med school questions. They are common for a reason, though some interviewers use them and some don't. I do recommend practicing MMIs, if only to make you more comfortable with the situation and the timing. Good luck!

Outright accepted on Friday. Interviewed 11/18 OOS. So excited!!!

Reactions: 7 users
hi! anyone know if OHSU is receptive to in the area emails? and who would I send it to? thanks!

Anyone who has been accepted receive the AAMC background check email yet? I also haven't gotten the packet in the mail. The lack of documentation is making me feel like my acceptance is a sham o_O

Anyone who has been accepted receive the AAMC background check email yet? I also haven't gotten the packet in the mail. The lack of documentation is making me feel like my acceptance is a sham o_O

When were you accepted? I was accepted via portal on 11/22 and just got my background check email last week and my packet in the mail Saturday, 1/7/2017. They are pretty slow so I would just give it some time.

For anyone else confused by their packet: I just called the Admissions Office. They confirmed that we need to sign and send the packet back for them within 2 weeks of receiving it for them to hold our spot, but it's not binding. We can withdraw anytime now until April 30, and then we have to commit to whatever school we choose to go to on May 1.

You know you check your online portal a lot when it's #1 on your "frequently visited" websites. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone else confused by their packet: I just called the Admissions Office. They confirmed that we need to sign and send the packet back for them within 2 weeks of receiving it for them to hold our spot, but it's not binding. We can withdraw anytime now until April 30, and then we have to commit to whatever school we choose to go to on May 1.
For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to get your packet? Also, does anyone know when we get our financial aid packages (including potential scholarships)?

For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to get your packet? Also, does anyone know when we get our financial aid packages (including potential scholarships)?
I was accepted early December and still haven't received my packet.

I just got my packet on Jan. 7 and was accepted via portal on 11/22. So it takes a while.

And I don't know officially, but I looked back on last year's thread and the earliest person to get financial aid info was on April 25 (which seems ridiculously late).

Any movement from hold pool this year yet? Doesn't seem like it. Last year, several lucky souls had been accepted after hold pool. Discouraging to see none yet :(

My hopes of returning back home to Oregon for medical school feel dim at this point.

I haven't heard/seen anything. Also, for everyone that was supposed to interview today - I have the upmost empathy for you! (Today was canceled due to the snow)...My friend has unfortunately been rescheduled twice now, which has got to be awful.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

are they open to update letters/letters of interest?

I haven't heard/seen anything. Also, for everyone that was supposed to interview today - I have the upmost empathy for you! (Today was canceled due to the snow)...My friend has unfortunately been rescheduled twice now, which has got to be awful.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm a long time lurker. In the same boat as your friend... I hope the rescheduled interviews turn out to be fruitful for both of us! Good luck to your friend!

any lucky OOS applicants get II? how late do they typically send II?

I am out of state and I interviewed on the first day. I was however in one of the "groups" (graduate from Oregon hs, and parents still live there)

Any movement from hold pool this year yet? Doesn't seem like it. Last year, several lucky souls had been accepted after hold pool. Discouraging to see none yet :(

My hopes of returning back home to Oregon for medical school feel dim at this point.

I feel your pain. They had definitely accepted multiple people from the hold list by this time last year. I'm holding out hope for reconsideration in February, once they've finished their regular interviews. It's definitely discouraging, though.

It's been over 8 weeks and still haven't heard anything. It sounds like, based off earlier interview dates, I shouldn't get my hopes up on hearing anything soon.

Just got an II! SO excited!!:soexcited: Complete end of Sept. IS. LM 69. They're scheduling Feb-March.

Any interview day insight or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Reactions: 3 users
When they say on their page that they dont get to the "other" groups until Feb, does that mean we still have a chance at an II if we havent heard anything yet (and are OOS)?

While technically yes, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that basically mission group people are all they end up taking. The out of staters are the "high academic" group I believe but someone can correct me if I'm misremembering.