2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I was placed in that pool last year which didn't result in an II. My guess is they wait until they are most of the way through the cycle, and if they feel unhappy about their interview pool or need to interview more people, they pull them off that list. Just a guess though
what is your stats last year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After waiting 10 weeks post-interview I got placed in the hold pool, pending a final decision until April 30th. I'm quite disappointed with this decision as a life-long and current Oregon native, OHSU is one of my top choices for that reason. Also I considered myself a pretty competitive applicant, LizzyM of 73-74 and I have had success with some other more high tier schools this cycle already. I understand the hold pool is different than a typical waitlist but I can't remember how many applicants typically get an acceptance off of the hold pool. Does anyone remember or can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.
 
After waiting 10 weeks post-interview I got placed in the hold pool, pending a final decision until April 30th. I'm quite disappointed with this decision as a life-long and current Oregon native, OHSU is one of my top choices for that reason. Also I considered myself a pretty competitive applicant, LizzyM of 73-74 and I have had success with some other more high tier schools this cycle already. I understand the hold pool is different than a typical waitlist but I can't remember how many applicants typically get an acceptance off of the hold pool. Does anyone remember or can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.

From past threads, looks like they went into the 40s
 
Hello. I'm an IS applicant, completed 9/23. They said it would take 12 weeks for a decision, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet at 14 weeks. I checked the portal and there's nothing to indicate any change. Should I give them a call? Or are they just a little behind this year?
 
Hello. I'm an IS applicant, completed 9/23. They said it would take 12 weeks for a decision, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet at 14 weeks. I checked the portal and there's nothing to indicate any change. Should I give them a call? Or are they just a little behind this year?
I'm IS and was complete 9/30, I received an II last Wednesday but no email. They say its because the interview scheduling person is on holiday, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing anything yet. I expect there will be a lot more action this week as people are coming back from vacation.
 
Last edited:
Hello all! Oregon resident here. I am interviewing soon and I'm not sure what to expect. Can someone who's been interviewed at OHSU tell me how their interview day went and what to expect in questions? Thanks, and good luck to you all!
 
Hello all! Oregon resident here. I am interviewing soon and I'm not sure what to expect. Can someone who's been interviewed at OHSU tell me how their interview day went and what to expect in questions? Thanks, and good luck to you all!
The big interview just depends on your interviewer. Another interviewee and I had very different experiences.
My experience was very conversational and relaxed--I was not nervous at all and I thought I would be. The half hour FLEW by and I really enjoyed myself. MMIs are great because you get "warmed up" really fast and allow you to better show who you are.
In general it's always good to prepare by looking up common med school questions. They are common for a reason, though some interviewers use them and some don't. I do recommend practicing MMIs, if only to make you more comfortable with the situation and the timing. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who has been accepted receive the AAMC background check email yet? I also haven't gotten the packet in the mail. The lack of documentation is making me feel like my acceptance is a sham 😵
 
Anyone who has been accepted receive the AAMC background check email yet? I also haven't gotten the packet in the mail. The lack of documentation is making me feel like my acceptance is a sham 😵

When were you accepted? I was accepted via portal on 11/22 and just got my background check email last week and my packet in the mail Saturday, 1/7/2017. They are pretty slow so I would just give it some time.
 
For anyone else confused by their packet: I just called the Admissions Office. They confirmed that we need to sign and send the packet back for them within 2 weeks of receiving it for them to hold our spot, but it's not binding. We can withdraw anytime now until April 30, and then we have to commit to whatever school we choose to go to on May 1.
 
For anyone else confused by their packet: I just called the Admissions Office. They confirmed that we need to sign and send the packet back for them within 2 weeks of receiving it for them to hold our spot, but it's not binding. We can withdraw anytime now until April 30, and then we have to commit to whatever school we choose to go to on May 1.
For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to get your packet? Also, does anyone know when we get our financial aid packages (including potential scholarships)?
 
For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to get your packet? Also, does anyone know when we get our financial aid packages (including potential scholarships)?
I was accepted early December and still haven't received my packet.
 
For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to get your packet? Also, does anyone know when we get our financial aid packages (including potential scholarships)?

I just got my packet on Jan. 7 and was accepted via portal on 11/22. So it takes a while.

And I don't know officially, but I looked back on last year's thread and the earliest person to get financial aid info was on April 25 (which seems ridiculously late).
 
Any movement from hold pool this year yet? Doesn't seem like it. Last year, several lucky souls had been accepted after hold pool. Discouraging to see none yet 🙁

My hopes of returning back home to Oregon for medical school feel dim at this point.
 
I haven't heard/seen anything. Also, for everyone that was supposed to interview today - I have the upmost empathy for you! (Today was canceled due to the snow)...My friend has unfortunately been rescheduled twice now, which has got to be awful.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
I haven't heard/seen anything. Also, for everyone that was supposed to interview today - I have the upmost empathy for you! (Today was canceled due to the snow)...My friend has unfortunately been rescheduled twice now, which has got to be awful.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm a long time lurker. In the same boat as your friend... I hope the rescheduled interviews turn out to be fruitful for both of us! Good luck to your friend!
 
I am out of state and I interviewed on the first day. I was however in one of the "groups" (graduate from Oregon hs, and parents still live there)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any movement from hold pool this year yet? Doesn't seem like it. Last year, several lucky souls had been accepted after hold pool. Discouraging to see none yet 🙁

My hopes of returning back home to Oregon for medical school feel dim at this point.

I feel your pain. They had definitely accepted multiple people from the hold list by this time last year. I'm holding out hope for reconsideration in February, once they've finished their regular interviews. It's definitely discouraging, though.
 
It's been over 8 weeks and still haven't heard anything. It sounds like, based off earlier interview dates, I shouldn't get my hopes up on hearing anything soon.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
When they say on their page that they dont get to the "other" groups until Feb, does that mean we still have a chance at an II if we havent heard anything yet (and are OOS)?
 
While technically yes, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that basically mission group people are all they end up taking. The out of staters are the "high academic" group I believe but someone can correct me if I'm misremembering.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Has anyone that thought they were in the mission-group for OOS high-academic only gotten an II? I know the website says superior academics and achievements, so I'm assuming it's not just academic based.
 
Still no word from interview week of 11/13. It seems like the wait is hugely variable though, as I've had friends interview around the end of December who heard back in the past several weeks (one acceptance, one hold).
 
Still no word from interview week of 11/13. It seems like the wait is hugely variable though, as I've had friends interview around the end of December who heard back in the past several weeks (one acceptance, one hold).
That's rough. Did either of your friends interview on 12/21?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I have a few questions about the MMI and would love to get some feedback!

1. Does OHSU abide by the 2 min to read the prompt/take notes, and then 8 minutes talking?
2. Do you have to fill the entire 8 minutes of talking? I've been practicing some questions and find myself finishing at like 3-4 minutes :bucktooth:
3. Are the interviewers conversational at all? Or am I talking to a wall? haha
4. Not sure if you're allowed to answer this - but do they have team stations or actor stations?

Thanks!! This will be my first MMI, so I'm a little nervous (if you couldn't tell....haha). Any other interview day comments would be greatly appreciated!
 
1) it's 1 min to move, 1 min to read, 6 min to talk
2) you think thats a problem, but it won't be. I garentee you'll fill the time
3) Conversational for the most part, but each interviewer is unique
4) can't tell you about any of the content - and that would include that.
 
1) it's 1 min to move, 1 min to read, 6 min to talk
2) you think thats a problem, but it won't be. I garentee you'll fill the time
3) Conversational for the most part, but each interviewer is unique
4) can't tell you about any of the content - and that would include that.

For question #1, I'm fairly positive you have 1 or 2 minutes to move, 2 minutes to read, and 8 minutes to talk. And yes, you will not have a problem filling it. I was cut short by the timer almost every time in the real interview, whereas in practice I was not taking more than 3-4 minutes.
 
For question #1, I'm fairly positive you have 1 or 2 minutes to move, 2 minutes to read, and 8 minutes to talk. And yes, you will not have a problem filling it. I was cut short by the timer almost every time in the real interview, whereas in practice I was not taking more than 3-4 minutes.

I could swear it was 1, 1, and 6 for 8 min (or maybe it was 1, 1, and 8 - but I think it was the first one), but you could be right. I just remember that since you're literally stepping from door to door the time before was plenty, reading time was plenty, and the time went by quicker than you'd think and I was having to wrap up my answers when the 1 min left bell would go every time. Never ran out of things to say, although while practicing this was my fear as I was at around 4 min for all my answers.