2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II! SO excited!!:soexcited: Complete end of Sept. IS. LM 69. They're scheduling Feb-March.

Any interview day insight or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
were you on hold on portal before II?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that thought they were in the mission-group for OOS high-academic only gotten an II? I know the website says superior academics and achievements, so I'm assuming it's not just academic based.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no word from interview week of 11/13. It seems like the wait is hugely variable though, as I've had friends interview around the end of December who heard back in the past several weeks (one acceptance, one hold).

Still no word from interview week of 11/13. It seems like the wait is hugely variable though, as I've had friends interview around the end of December who heard back in the past several weeks (one acceptance, one hold).
That's rough. Did either of your friends interview on 12/21?

Hey everyone, I have a few questions about the MMI and would love to get some feedback!

1. Does OHSU abide by the 2 min to read the prompt/take notes, and then 8 minutes talking?
2. Do you have to fill the entire 8 minutes of talking? I've been practicing some questions and find myself finishing at like 3-4 minutes :bucktooth:
3. Are the interviewers conversational at all? Or am I talking to a wall? haha
4. Not sure if you're allowed to answer this - but do they have team stations or actor stations?

Thanks!! This will be my first MMI, so I'm a little nervous (if you couldn't tell....haha). Any other interview day comments would be greatly appreciated!

1) it's 1 min to move, 1 min to read, 6 min to talk
2) you think thats a problem, but it won't be. I garentee you'll fill the time
3) Conversational for the most part, but each interviewer is unique
4) can't tell you about any of the content - and that would include that.

Reactions: 1 user
1) it's 1 min to move, 1 min to read, 6 min to talk
2) you think thats a problem, but it won't be. I garentee you'll fill the time
3) Conversational for the most part, but each interviewer is unique
4) can't tell you about any of the content - and that would include that.

For question #1, I'm fairly positive you have 1 or 2 minutes to move, 2 minutes to read, and 8 minutes to talk. And yes, you will not have a problem filling it. I was cut short by the timer almost every time in the real interview, whereas in practice I was not taking more than 3-4 minutes.

For question #1, I'm fairly positive you have 1 or 2 minutes to move, 2 minutes to read, and 8 minutes to talk. And yes, you will not have a problem filling it. I was cut short by the timer almost every time in the real interview, whereas in practice I was not taking more than 3-4 minutes.

I could swear it was 1, 1, and 6 for 8 min (or maybe it was 1, 1, and 8 - but I think it was the first one), but you could be right. I just remember that since you're literally stepping from door to door the time before was plenty, reading time was plenty, and the time went by quicker than you'd think and I was having to wrap up my answers when the 1 min left bell would go every time. Never ran out of things to say, although while practicing this was my fear as I was at around 4 min for all my answers.

II today!! I am so excited!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does OHSU take letters of interest pre-interview? Wanted to show some love since I'm out of state ... haha

I interviewed 13 weeks ago and still haven't received any email or portal update. I think I read on here that someone called in and was told that the variability in post-interview notifications is due to the fact that the admissions committee must meet with your interviewer before they can make a decision. But if some interviewers aren't available for 13+ weeks after your interview, is that fair? If your interviewer originally liked you but three months have passed and they can't really remember you well now, won't your review be impacted? I mean, I can hardly even remember what my interviewer and I talked about at this point. I can imagine how an originally enthusiastic review from an interviewer could become lukewarm and nonspecific after 3+ months. I hope OHSU has some measures in place to account for this so that interviewers who are available much earlier than others don't give their applicants an unfair advantage.

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed 13 weeks ago and still haven't received any email or portal update. I think I read on here that someone called in and was told that the variability in post-interview notifications is due to the fact that the admissions committee must meet with your interviewer before they can make a decision. But if some interviewers aren't available for 13+ weeks after your interview, is that fair? If your interviewer originally liked you but three months have passed and they can't really remember you well now, won't your review be impacted? I mean, I can hardly even remember what my interviewer and I talked about at this point. I can imagine how an originally enthusiastic review from an interviewer could become lukewarm and nonspecific after 3+ months. I hope OHSU has some measures in place to account for this so that interviewers who are available much earlier than others don't give their applicants an unfair advantage.
I am in the same boat (tomorrow will be 14 weeks post-interview for me) and have similar concerns. However, they also re-review people who are on hold, presumably months after their interviews, so we can only hope that they have processes in place to ensure a fair review regardless of time elapsed! There are always the MMI reviews too, which are the same regardless... Good luck, and you're not alone :nod:

Did anyone here strategically move to Oregon last year in order to be considered a resident for admissions purposes? Thinking of doing this with my partner (who would be the one applying, not me), and am wondering if it really works (seems a little too easy to be true). I swear our intentions are good-- I'm from Portland and my family is still there, we want to end up in Oregon long-term, and being close to family while he's in med school will make a huge difference in how possible it will be for us to have kids (I'll be working full-time, and waiting until after may not be an option). Sorry if I should be posting this elsewhere, but figured all of you who are in the current cycle might have the best sense of the residency requirements!

same boat my friend

Did anyone here strategically move to Oregon last year in order to be considered a resident for admissions purposes? Thinking of doing this with my partner (who would be the one applying, not me), and am wondering if it really works (seems a little too easy to be true). I swear our intentions are good-- I'm from Portland and my family is still there, we want to end up in Oregon long-term, and being close to family while he's in med school will make a huge difference in how possible it will be for us to have kids (I'll be working full-time, and waiting until after may not be an option). Sorry if I should be posting this elsewhere, but figured all of you who are in the current cycle might have the best sense of the residency requirements!

I think you need to live in Oregon for 1 year without going to school full time to be considered a resident. Thus, if your partner was applying in this upcoming cycle I don't think you would qualify for residency then. But if they are applying in 2 cycles, I'd say being IS is a huge advantage here. Also make sure they don't already qualify as a Misson-Based applicant here: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm. If they already fit into one of those, supposedly that's all that matters.

Anyone know if they are still giving out interviews? Wondering if I may have gotten silently rejected :(

Hang in there, friends! 14 weeks post-interview and I was just accepted!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted, interviewed 12/7. Can it be April 30th please?

Congrats, been pulling for ya the whole time

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Submitted mid August, complete end of November, does that mean I shouldn't expect to be rejected / interviewed till early March?

Does OHSU take letters of interest pre-interview? Wanted to show some love since I'm out of state ... haha
Re-asking this question cause I can't seem to find anything about it.

I emailed Financial Aid to see when they expect we will get our award letter. This is what they said:

We understand the urgency of making admit decisions, so the incoming MD students are always one of the very first groups to be reviewed and awarded. At this time, we are only just beginning our initial review process. We do not yet have the 2017-18 tuition and fee rates from School of Medicine, or finalized budgets for living expenses, so we will not be doing any awarding until those budgets are set.

I would expect to see the packets go out by sometime in May. So early in the process, it’s hard to estimate, but feel free to check in in a couple months to see if we have a more clear timeline. We will contact you in the meantime if anything else is needed from you.

Thank you,

OHSU Financial Aid​

I emailed Financial Aid to see when they expect we will get our award letter. This is what they said:

We understand the urgency of making admit decisions, so the incoming MD students are always one of the very first groups to be reviewed and awarded. At this time, we are only just beginning our initial review process. We do not yet have the 2017-18 tuition and fee rates from School of Medicine, or finalized budgets for living expenses, so we will not be doing any awarding until those budgets are set.

I would expect to see the packets go out by sometime in May. So early in the process, it’s hard to estimate, but feel free to check in in a couple months to see if we have a more clear timeline. We will contact you in the meantime if anything else is needed from you.

Thank you,

OHSU Financial Aid​
Thank you for posting this! I asked the same thing but didn't get a response. Do you think we will be required to make a decision before hearing about financial aid?

Thank you for posting this! I asked the same thing but didn't get a response. Do you think we will be required to make a decision before hearing about financial aid?

I would imagine so. I don't know if it's a full on rule, comparable to the rule about when schools can send their first acceptances, but it is at least a standard for all medical schools to require decisions by April 30th. On top of this, hold pool people find out their new statuses on April 30th, meaning OHSU would probably like to know who's staying and who's walking at that point.

Source on April 30th info (see #s 8 and 9): https://students-residents.aamc.org...lication-and-acceptance-protocols-applicants/

Does anyone know how long their interview season lasts?

Edit: Someone above says through March! Nevermind!

One week post-interview, and already stressing out haha. These next 7+ weeks are going to be rough! OHSU love me please.

For those of you who have heard back post-interview, how did you feel your interview and MMI went?

3/10 MMI
9/10 one-on-one

---> hold pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else at 11+ weeks post interview with no information?

6/10 MMI
9/10 One-on-one

Accepted mid-December. Still haven't received an acceptance contract. Anyone else in this same boat? I know they are probably backed up from the January ice storms we had here, but I am wondering at what point I should give them a call.

I have a friend who just got canceled for weather, and they have interview dates from March through early April available for those of you wondering!

Just curious though, even though OHSU says they hold 80% post-interview, I have heard that schools are required to have accepted at least the number of students equal to their entering class by 3/15. So does that put people that interview after March at a disadvantage regardless of their hold policy?

I have a friend who just got canceled for weather, and they have interview dates from March through early April available for those of you wondering!

Just curious though, even though OHSU says they hold 80% post-interview, I have heard that schools are required to have accepted at least the number of students equal to their entering class by 3/15. So does that put people that interview after March at a disadvantage regardless of their hold policy?

My understanding is that is just a suggested policy, and OHSU chooses to not follow it - thus how they do most of their acceptances after that date. If you look at the actual policy, it says; "the AAMC recommends that"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

6/10 MMI
9/10 One-on-one

Accepted mid-December. Still haven't received an acceptance contract. Anyone else in this same boat? I know they are probably backed up from the January ice storms we had here, but I am wondering at what point I should give them a call.

9/10 MMI
9/10 interview

In a similar boat as you. I was going to wait another week or two to call but I am getting a little impatient ha. They said 4-6 weeks so many call around week 7?

9/10 MMI
9/10 interview

In a similar boat as you. I was going to wait another week or two to call but I am getting a little impatient ha. They said 4-6 weeks so many call around week 7?

6/10 MMI
9/10 One-on-one

9/10 MMI
9/10 interview

Congrats to both of you on the acceptances!! What're your stats?

My understanding is that is just a suggested policy, and OHSU chooses to not follow it - thus how they do most of their acceptances after that date. If you look at the actual policy, it says; "the AAMC recommends that"

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks so much for the explanation!

Hopefully it's correct - so someone feel free to chime in if it's different than that, but that was what I was told

Current students: what books/ online sources / things should we get before school starts? Thanks :)

Howdy!

As far as I can tell, this question has so far gone unanswered--possibly because we are in the middle of our musculoskeletal anatomy block and none of us in the first year have time to troll your thread

Anyways, I would say that you should wait until school starts to get much of anything. Once you are here you will have a better idea of what things you actually need to fit your learning style and what things you would never pay attention to even if you had them. The two things you can absolutely get before school starts are: a stethoscope (I'm pretty sure our first clinical skills learning session was the heart exam) and First Aid For USMLE Step 1 (unless you are fine with a PDF version, in which case don't bother with it for now. But I'm pretty sure everyone I know has some version of this book). I also got First Aid for the Basic Sciences and First Aid for Organ systems as a two-pack before I came, and I have found those helpful but not everyone has them.

For the most part, any books you may need can be found from upperclassmen once you get here. Or through the library website as an online PDF. Online resources such as Pathoma, USMLE-RX, Sketchy-micro, etc are very helpful but are frequently discounted once you start and have time-limits on them (i.e. you pay for the number of months you want to use, so you shouldn't buy it until you absolutely need it so that your subscription lasts longer).