2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9/23. And it's alright! They said they put 80% of people on hold though, so it's not like being wait listed or anything. It would just be nice to not have to wait another 5+ months!

I interviewed 9/21 and have still heard nothing. Ugh...ha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! Marked complete mid-September, IS. Dates available include Mid-December, Early & mid-January. So excited!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today. Submitted 8/19, marked complete on 9/12. IS LizzyM 67.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! No email but portal updated this afternoon!
Interviewed on 9/21.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today via portal! Interviewed 9/21.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Put on hold today (11/22)
No email, just saw the portal update.
Interviewed mid October
Time to push this all out of my brain for 5 months! :)

Hey guys, I was part of the group that got an II today! I'm looking forward to seeing some of you on interview day :)

So I interviewed on 09/16 and have not had a portal update since. At what point should I consider calling to make sure that my app didn't accidentally get tossed into the Willamette?

Thank you so much :) Do students get together for happy hour during the week (currently working and it's been a fun aspect of my work life)? Or as you say, are most people busily studying? Also, do you find time to exercise/ have time for yourself during the week? Thanks again :)

Hey friends- for another perspective of a current MS1 (we have a test tomorrow morning and clearly I am procrastinating).
I usually plan to spend from 8am-7/8pm during the weekdays on school (with a few hour-ish each long breaks for lunch, commuting, and dinner). For the most part, we have scheduled activities from 8am-5pm every day, though not all of them are required (just highly encouraged). It sounds like a lot of time, but the reality is that I actually spend only like 10 hours per weekday on school. Which is totally manageable and gives you time to have a life. The afternoon activities are generally pretty low-stakes but can be fun and will actually make you a good doctor instead of a fact-monster. Like other students have said, I take the whole weekend off (or spend an hour on Sunday studying, at most). I spend the free time in the evenings watching netflix with my fluffy cat and my soon-to-be-wife. I have practice for my sport all night on Monday (so usually I don't study at all on Monday), study an hour or two on Tuesday, then do a little more on Wednesday and Thursday. I'd say one of the best things about this curriculum is that although your weeks are fairly stacked, especially on Thursdays, you do get the whole weekend off to do whatever you want. Plus all of our classmates are awesome, so the days are enjoyable even though we spend a lot of time at school.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your perspective. I definitely study less than a lot of my classmates and get lower scores as a result, but I prioritize having a life over being the best in my class. All you have to do is pass. You can get a 70% on every test and your degree at the end will look exactly the same as everyone else's :whistle:.

Hope that helps and please ask more questions so I don't have to study
:troll:

Interviewed mid October
When in October did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed mid October

Wow, that's pretty fast given everyone else took 8+ weeks. Maybe they're finally picking up speed

For those who have interviewed, how long did it take to receive a reply about your interview date?

When in October did you interview?

I interviewed 10/12. It does seem pretty fast!

For those who have interviewed, how long did it take to receive a reply about your interview date?
I'm assuming you mean how long after you sent Katy your email of preferred interview dates did you receive a confirmation email?

I got an II request 9/22, sent my preferences in on 9/23 and received a confirmation on 9/23 (a few hours later). Although last year it took me a few days to get confirmation.

Hi all!To those who interviewed already, what time did your interview day typically end? Our email says 5:00pm, but I saw on the sdn interview feedback that some people were done as soon as 01:30pm.

Hi all!To those who interviewed already, what time did your interview day typically end? Our email says 5:00pm, but I saw on the sdn interview feedback that some people were done as soon as 01:30pm.

It depends on whether your 1-on-1 interview is part of the MMI circuit or not. If it is, you will likely be done by 1:30 or 2. If it is scheduled for the afternoon, you may not be done until 5. I think it just depends on when your interviewer is available.

Put on hold today. Interviewed 9/23.

On the portal it says that "applicants put on hold will remain on hold until April 30."

That is a change from years past, no? Do other people's portals say this, or just mine? That REALLY sucks because this is my top choice, but if they are really not going to release decisions until April 30, at all, its going to be very difficult for me to plan a cross-country move with my spouse in just 2 months.
From what I picked up during interview day, they give everyone "points" based on their mcat, gpa, essays, interview, etc. All those points are added up to a applicant's score. They set a cut off "score" for pre-April acceptances; everyone above this gets the acceptance right off the bat. If, as the cycle progresses, they aren't accepting as many pre-April as they want, they lower the cut off score and accept anyone else who is above that. Those are the only holds that get accepted before April 30th.

FYI - Interviews are being scheduled out into January now, all December dates are full.

Is anyone else low-key super anxious about this whole waiting game???

App finally complete yesterday 12/1.
Mission-based, secondary submitted late August.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all I've already gotten an acceptance at a good school whose tuition & fees are maximum ~ 40k.

AS an OOS applicant OHSU's tuition and fees are extremely intimidating. Provided I get in (have an interview soon), think I have a decent chance of them to match at least the sticker price of the other place? Are they at least known to do this for competitive applicants?

Last edited:
I don't think so.

Darn. That sticker price is so high without being offset by aid.

Can any one else comment on the amount of financial aid that OHSU gives out in general, and how widely distributed?

Accepted! Interviewed 9/28

I interviewed on 9/21 and still haven't heard anything! Is anyone else in the same position?

Complete 9/15, IS, LizzyM~73, getting close to the 12 week mark, sweating it out over here.

Interviewed 10/21. Put on hold yesterday. Gonna be a long 5 months lol...

Has anyone heard back about IS MD/MPH applications? According to last years forum, MD/MPH interviews were toward the end of the cycle. Has anyone been interviewed yet, or is everyone else waiting anxiously too?

Has anyone heard back about IS MD/MPH applications? According to last years forum, MD/MPH interviews were toward the end of the cycle. Has anyone been interviewed yet, or is everyone else waiting anxiously too?

There were a couple of applicants during my interview in November.

Those that heard back after interviews (hold, reject, accept) Did you find out via the portal or did you get an email (or maybe even a call) ?

Did you check your portal?
I have! (Compulsively). The last thing it says is "Your MD interview has been scheduled for 09/21/2016." Followed by a thank you for interviewing and that I will get updated as soon as possible. I am trying to wait patiently but I thought I remembered them saying that it should take 6-8 weeks following the interview to hear something!

For those of you who have called (and spoken with someone in admissions), did you call the interview coordinator? I tried calling a couple times yesterday but no one answered.

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Accepted!! Interviewed 10/26. Notification via email and portal.

Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....

Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....

Expanding on this: Can a current medical student say what the spend per month on rent? Trying to decide if my current place in Portland is feasible on a medical student budget...