2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via portal, interviewed in late Oct! I can comment a little on the housing: I currently live at the Emery near the OHSU tram and my roommate and I pay about $2400 a month (total) for a 2br/2ba. There are quite a few MD/dental students here, but it's fairly pricy (still the cheapest I could find in South Waterfront).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those students who have gotten a hold or acceptance, could you show us a screenshot of what it looks like on the portal? Of course, exclude all of your personal info :)

Thanks!

For those students who have gotten a hold or acceptance, could you show us a screenshot of what it looks like on the portal? Of course, exclude all of your personal info :)

Thanks!

upload_2016-12-13_8-35-47.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via portal, interviewed 10/21! I can comment a little on the housing: I currently live at the Emery near the OHSU tram and my roommate and I pay about $2400 a month (total) for a 2br/2ba. There are quite a few MD/dental students here, but it's fairly pricy (still the cheapest I could find in South Waterfront).
What time did they update your portal?

Anyone from the 10/19 interview group hear anything?

Did anyone get a strange email to log on to a portal for a message about financial aid and a student pin?

I got two emails today, one titled "URGENT - PIN Notification - Open Immediately" and the other titled "2017-18 financial aid information". When I logged onto the portal, it had not been updated though. Is this what you got as well?
Yes it was!! I haven't been accepted though, so I thought it was odd. Perhaps they just sent it to everyone who submitted a FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....
Expanding on this: Can a current medical student say what the spend per month on rent? Trying to decide if my current place in Portland is feasible on a medical student budget...

You're right--the Portland housing market is tough. People kind of live all over the place, but I would say a majority live in SW or inner SE. There seem to be quite a few places in SW near campus that people share apartments in and pay about $700 each. Honestly there is a huge range of what people pay in rent, from $250 (if you live in the Co-Op, which is basically a dorm for health professions students that a lucky few of you might be able to get a room in) to $2000 (if you live in a fancy-schmancy one bedroom apartment in one of the buildings on the South Waterfront). If you want your own apartment, in general you should expect to pay at least $850 a month. If you are willing to share a big house, that number will drop to about $500.

I live in Milwaukie/Oak Grove, which is in deep SE. We wanted to buy a house, so that's where we could get a decent house within our budget. If you want to find a cheap house to buy or a cheap room to rent, I would recommend looking in the Milwaukie area near a MAX orange line stop. The orange line stops directly outside of the CLSB, which is where you will have classes for the first two years. It takes like 22 minutes from the far South end of the orange line (my stop) to the CLSB, which is totally doable! I actually really enjoy the time to just sit and listen to podcasts.

My main advice would be: figure out your budget, then start looking for places all over Portland. If you are depending entirely on loans, I think you get like $20,000 of loan allotment per year for personal expenses including rent/transportation/food. Use google maps to figure out how long it will take you to get to the CLSB from whatever address you are looking at via walking, biking, or public transportation. Parking on the South Waterfront is very limited and costs at least $6 a day, but can be a lot more if you don't get a spot in that lot, so I wouldn't recommend planning on driving to school unless you factor that into your budget.

Once you all are on the facebook page, upperclassmen will likely start posting housing they have available, so stay tuned for that as well.

Last edited:
Accepted 12/12 via portal and yesterday via email!!

@hach13 and @Tsoko333 I'm from the 10/19 interview group :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone been accepted from the hold pool? Can any current students comment on how this has gone in the past? I've read through last year's thread, but I'm still feeling suuuuper anxious about my chances of getting in after being thrown in the hold pool 11/22...

Has anyone been accepted from the hold pool? Can any current students comment on how this has gone in the past? I've read through last year's thread, but I'm still feeling suuuuper anxious about my chances of getting in after being thrown in the hold pool 11/22...

Same. There was movement off the hold pool by the this time last year. I am not holding my breath for news before April, and with the number of acceptances already being handed out, not feeling optimistic at all of my chances of acceptance either. Does not seem like they are abiding by the 20/80/20 rule they supposedly go by.

I only counted 6 so far - maybe just over double that for people that aren't on SDN (unless someone on the FB group wants to disclose how many people are in the group so far). So that would put about 10% already accepted. So maybe it will hold up. Who knows...but they did say their yield was around 50-55% so...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I only counted 6 so far - maybe just over double that for people that aren't on SDN (unless someone on the FB group wants to disclose how many people are in the group so far). So that would put about 10% already accepted. So maybe it will hold up. Who knows...but they did say their yield was around 50-55% so...

From my very unofficial and quick count: Out of the 30 people in the Facebook group, roughly 22 look to be newly admitted students. The others look as though they are current students at OHSU.

Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....

Not a med student but I do research there. Rent is ridiculous. My gf and I pay $1840 a month for a one bedroom on the SW waterfront near the tram. It's a really nice place but on the high end of what you can expect for rent in Portland. The convenience of the location is worth the expense since I float around between the hill, CHH, and CLSB. With the tram being free, you don't have to deal with the head ache of parking anywhere on campus. OHSU heavily subsidizes trimet passes. Many apartments in that area have great move-in specials for OHSU students and employees. I'd say that the vast majority of tenants in my building work or go to school at OHSU. If anyone has specific housing questions I'd be happy to help answer them.

From my very unofficial and quick count: Out of the 30 people in the Facebook group, roughly 22 look to be newly admitted students. The others look as though they are current students at OHSU.

How did you find the Facebook group??

Placed on hold today via portal, interviewed 10/19.

To those who have gotten acceptances- are you guys pretty set on ohsu?

Nope. I'm definitely more interested in another school that I've been accepted to, but want to wait for the financial aid packages. Not to say that I didn't like OHSU, just I LOVED the other one and I've been looking to get out of Portland for a while. I like Portland and OHSU, but I'm just looking for a change.

I haven't been accepted yet, but I do know someone who has been accepted and they were pretty interested in another school they had been accepted to elsewhere in the country.

Are we allowed to take notes during our 2min prep for the MMI here?

Two months since my interview and no portal update!
Same here! I interviewed 10/19, and nothing. I called today and spoke with someone in admissions. She said that, " the interviewer must be present in the committee meeting, and one interviewer has been particularly hard to schedule this season." I am just hoping it doesn't stretch out until after the holidays.

Finally complete after having my secondary complete and verified in august, but having to wait until October for the paperwork to prove I was a MT resident. Super frustrating, as I love this school and now feel like I don't have a shot.

Same here! I interviewed 10/19, and nothing. I called today and spoke with someone in admissions. She said that, " the interviewer must be present in the committee meeting, and one interviewer has been particularly hard to schedule this season." I am just hoping it doesn't stretch out until after the holidays.
Who was your interviewer?

Who was your interviewer?
I had a student interviewer. That being said, the woman I spoke to in admissions did not look up my file or anything so it wasn't necessarily my interviewer who is the particular busy one. But it has been over 9 weeks for me.

I had a student interviewer. That being said, the woman I spoke to in admissions did not look up my file or anything so it wasn't necessarily my interviewer who is the particular busy one. But it has been over 9 weeks for me.

FWIW it took me almost 10 weeks to receive a decision and my interviewer was part of the admissions office. Hold fast, friend.

Reactions: 1 users
interviewed on oct 26th. placed on hold via portal today

Sitting at >9 weeks post interview with no news. Maybe they're having a hard time getting my interviewer to show up. She did say that she prefers staring at a computer screen all day over dealing with people...
... were they a Rad?

Complete 9/30 and II today! I still haven't received an email, but my portal says "an interview deadline of 1/06/2017" Did they really only give me a week to interview, or is this just a "let them know my date BY 1/06/2017"??

Has anyone that interviewed 11/30 seen any updates on their admissions portal?

Complete 9/30 and II today! I still haven't received an email, but my portal says "an interview deadline of 1/06/2017" Did they really only give me a week to interview, or is this just a "let them know my date BY 1/06/2017"??
That's the deadline for choosing an interview date. They'll be more descriptive in the email. Congrats!

Congrats!! Stats? Hoping to get one too :)