2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got two emails today, one titled "URGENT - PIN Notification - Open Immediately" and the other titled "2017-18 financial aid information". When I logged onto the portal, it had not been updated though. Is this what you got as well?
Yes it was!! I haven't been accepted though, so I thought it was odd. Perhaps they just sent it to everyone who submitted a FAFSA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....
Expanding on this: Can a current medical student say what the spend per month on rent? Trying to decide if my current place in Portland is feasible on a medical student budget...

You're right--the Portland housing market is tough. People kind of live all over the place, but I would say a majority live in SW or inner SE. There seem to be quite a few places in SW near campus that people share apartments in and pay about $700 each. Honestly there is a huge range of what people pay in rent, from $250 (if you live in the Co-Op, which is basically a dorm for health professions students that a lucky few of you might be able to get a room in) to $2000 (if you live in a fancy-schmancy one bedroom apartment in one of the buildings on the South Waterfront). If you want your own apartment, in general you should expect to pay at least $850 a month. If you are willing to share a big house, that number will drop to about $500.

I live in Milwaukie/Oak Grove, which is in deep SE. We wanted to buy a house, so that's where we could get a decent house within our budget. If you want to find a cheap house to buy or a cheap room to rent, I would recommend looking in the Milwaukie area near a MAX orange line stop. The orange line stops directly outside of the CLSB, which is where you will have classes for the first two years. It takes like 22 minutes from the far South end of the orange line (my stop) to the CLSB, which is totally doable! I actually really enjoy the time to just sit and listen to podcasts.

My main advice would be: figure out your budget, then start looking for places all over Portland. If you are depending entirely on loans, I think you get like $20,000 of loan allotment per year for personal expenses including rent/transportation/food. Use google maps to figure out how long it will take you to get to the CLSB from whatever address you are looking at via walking, biking, or public transportation. Parking on the South Waterfront is very limited and costs at least $6 a day, but can be a lot more if you don't get a spot in that lot, so I wouldn't recommend planning on driving to school unless you factor that into your budget.

Once you all are on the facebook page, upperclassmen will likely start posting housing they have available, so stay tuned for that as well.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone been accepted from the hold pool? Can any current students comment on how this has gone in the past? I've read through last year's thread, but I'm still feeling suuuuper anxious about my chances of getting in after being thrown in the hold pool 11/22...
 
Has anyone been accepted from the hold pool? Can any current students comment on how this has gone in the past? I've read through last year's thread, but I'm still feeling suuuuper anxious about my chances of getting in after being thrown in the hold pool 11/22...

Same. There was movement off the hold pool by the this time last year. I am not holding my breath for news before April, and with the number of acceptances already being handed out, not feeling optimistic at all of my chances of acceptance either. Does not seem like they are abiding by the 20/80/20 rule they supposedly go by.
 
I only counted 6 so far - maybe just over double that for people that aren't on SDN (unless someone on the FB group wants to disclose how many people are in the group so far). So that would put about 10% already accepted. So maybe it will hold up. Who knows...but they did say their yield was around 50-55% so...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I only counted 6 so far - maybe just over double that for people that aren't on SDN (unless someone on the FB group wants to disclose how many people are in the group so far). So that would put about 10% already accepted. So maybe it will hold up. Who knows...but they did say their yield was around 50-55% so...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From my very unofficial and quick count: Out of the 30 people in the Facebook group, roughly 22 look to be newly admitted students. The others look as though they are current students at OHSU.
 
Can any current students comment on housing in Portland? Where do most students live and when did you guys start looking for places? I know the price of living in Portland is a bit crazy right now....

Not a med student but I do research there. Rent is ridiculous. My gf and I pay $1840 a month for a one bedroom on the SW waterfront near the tram. It's a really nice place but on the high end of what you can expect for rent in Portland. The convenience of the location is worth the expense since I float around between the hill, CHH, and CLSB. With the tram being free, you don't have to deal with the head ache of parking anywhere on campus. OHSU heavily subsidizes trimet passes. Many apartments in that area have great move-in specials for OHSU students and employees. I'd say that the vast majority of tenants in my building work or go to school at OHSU. If anyone has specific housing questions I'd be happy to help answer them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those who have gotten acceptances- are you guys pretty set on ohsu?

Nope. I'm definitely more interested in another school that I've been accepted to, but want to wait for the financial aid packages. Not to say that I didn't like OHSU, just I LOVED the other one and I've been looking to get out of Portland for a while. I like Portland and OHSU, but I'm just looking for a change.
 
Two months since my interview and no portal update!
Same here! I interviewed 10/19, and nothing. I called today and spoke with someone in admissions. She said that, " the interviewer must be present in the committee meeting, and one interviewer has been particularly hard to schedule this season." I am just hoping it doesn't stretch out until after the holidays.
 
Finally complete after having my secondary complete and verified in august, but having to wait until October for the paperwork to prove I was a MT resident. Super frustrating, as I love this school and now feel like I don't have a shot.
 
Same here! I interviewed 10/19, and nothing. I called today and spoke with someone in admissions. She said that, " the interviewer must be present in the committee meeting, and one interviewer has been particularly hard to schedule this season." I am just hoping it doesn't stretch out until after the holidays.
Who was your interviewer?
 
Who was your interviewer?
I had a student interviewer. That being said, the woman I spoke to in admissions did not look up my file or anything so it wasn't necessarily my interviewer who is the particular busy one. But it has been over 9 weeks for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a student interviewer. That being said, the woman I spoke to in admissions did not look up my file or anything so it wasn't necessarily my interviewer who is the particular busy one. But it has been over 9 weeks for me.

FWIW it took me almost 10 weeks to receive a decision and my interviewer was part of the admissions office. Hold fast, friend.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Sitting at >9 weeks post interview with no news. Maybe they're having a hard time getting my interviewer to show up. She did say that she prefers staring at a computer screen all day over dealing with people...
... were they a Rad?
 
Complete 9/30 and II today! I still haven't received an email, but my portal says "an interview deadline of 1/06/2017" Did they really only give me a week to interview, or is this just a "let them know my date BY 1/06/2017"??
 
Complete 9/30 and II today! I still haven't received an email, but my portal says "an interview deadline of 1/06/2017" Did they really only give me a week to interview, or is this just a "let them know my date BY 1/06/2017"??
That's the deadline for choosing an interview date. They'll be more descriptive in the email. Congrats!
 
Any other IS/mission group people at 12+ weeks to hear about an II or pre-II rejection? I'm at 14 weeks and anxious to hear back
 
Any other IS/mission group people at 12+ weeks to hear about an II or pre-II rejection? I'm at 14 weeks and anxious to hear back
Don't lose hope! I submitted my secondary July 10th, waited until October 3rd to get invited to interview, and was accepted last month! Seems to me like OHSU just operates a little slower than other schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
complete on 11/15, haven't heard anything yet. The portal says "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review."
Anyone in the same status?
 
complete on 11/15, haven't heard anything yet. The portal says "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review."
Anyone in the same status?

!!!!!! what! has this always been a status? are you IS?

i was complete early September, mission group, OOS, and have yet to hear anything (including the above status).
 
!!!!!! what! has this always been a status? are you IS?

i was complete early September, mission group, OOS, and have yet to hear anything (including the above status).

I am IS.. feel upset because don't know what does this means...
 
I am IS.. feel upset because don't know what does this means...

I was placed in that pool last year which didn't result in an II. My guess is they wait until they are most of the way through the cycle, and if they feel unhappy about their interview pool or need to interview more people, they pull them off that list. Just a guess though