2016-2017 University Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, I should've clarified. It was a comment by UNLV staff on the Facebook page for accepted applicants.

Was that posted today after the lastest round of acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

And does that mean that's how many applicants have accepted their acceptance, or just how many offers have gone out?

Was that posted today after the lastest round of acceptances?

Yes. I think there will be some WL movement for sure though!

To answer the person above me... I'm sure that's referring to the number of acceptances given out, but I'd venture that almost everyone offered an acceptance is holding it for now because there was no deposit required to hold. There are certainly people they've accepted who will end up attending somewhere else, opening up more spots for everyone else.

I'm under the impression that because of unlv's scholarship, they don't have the luxury of over-accepting and risking having more than 60 in the charter class. That unfortunately means more waitlisted applicants initially but should be encouraging if that ends up being your situation (because they'll immediately pull from the waitlist when an accepted student withdraws).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So they wait until the very end then to do rejections anyone know?

It sucks that they don't send rejections until the end.

They should just reject the people who don't have a chance off the bat once they've figured out the level of the applicant pool. It would certainly have made things easier for those who are financially struggling and wondering if they should put down deposits for other schools or not.

Reactions: 1 users
It sucks that they don't send rejections until the end.

They should just reject the people who don't have a chance off the bat once they've figured out the level of the applicant pool. It would certainly have made things easier for those who are financially struggling and wondering if they should put down deposits for other schools or not.
Agreed

Not convenient, but definitely not unfair. There's a lot of uncertainty in the first application cycle of a new school. @UNLV Medicine said earlier that they didn't know the exact timeframe for WL and rejections, so we don't even know if it'll come at the end of the cycle, or if they'll start sending some earlier. I'm sure that after establishing a baseline for number of applicants and matriculation/acceptance ratios, they'll find a system that works for the program and establish it for the future. They seem committed to transparency as much as the process reasonably allows.

That being said, there's a very reasonable amount of emotion tied into all of this, and I understand the frustration. But losing money on a deposit elsewhere is a much better problem to have than the alternative of no acceptance at all. Hang in there.

Not convenient, but definitely not unfair. There's a lot of uncertainty in the first application cycle of a new school. @UNLV Medicine said earlier that they didn't know the exact timeframe for WL and rejections, so we don't even know if it'll come at the end of the cycle, or if they'll start sending some earlier. I'm sure that after establishing a baseline for number of applicants and matriculation/acceptance ratios, they'll find a system that works for the program and establish it for the future. They seem committed to transparency as much as the process reasonably allows.

That being said, there's a very reasonable amount of emotion tied into all of this, and I understand the frustration. But losing money on a deposit elsewhere is a much better problem to have than the alternative of no acceptance at all. Hang in there.

Agreed. I think there will be a more even pace of acceptance and rejections, but under the circumstances of having such a protracted cycle, this is probably the best scenario.

But I think you have you expect too that this is not a UNLV thing; it's symptomatic of the med school app process in general. I have still been waiting on a response from UNR despite seeing others from my interview date being accepted. Quite hilariously, UM, the first secondary I submitted, will likely be the LAST response I get which already will have been a staggering 8 months with zero status change. So, I dunno, at the end of the day, grin and bare it because this whole process probably has to be painful by design.

Reactions: 2 users
Notifications for those still waiting will be made at the end of March, following the final admission committee meeting, when the last horse is pronounced dead.

With the experiences from this abbreviated cycle as a benchmark we should be able to further streamline things next time, thus hopefully making the process slightly less burdensome.

Last edited:
Obviously I know nearly nothing concerning the qualifications of the applicants here, but regardless, I'm a little disappointed that they are accepting OOS with in-state ties before offering seats to qualified IS applicants. Especially since anyone's ties/claims to Nevada will be largely unsubstantiated and certainly unverified. Even if they did want to confirm that so and so's father, sister, or grandmother lives in Las Vegas after acceptance, you could easily cover your tracks and say they just happened to move.

I wish other states were so generous to us, but unfortunately the reality is that Nevada has among the lowest percentage of students who matriculate OOS and the second highest percentage of those who do not ultimately get accepted anywhere. I'm beginning to believe one of the weaker parts of my application was my state residency. https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously I know nearly nothing concerning the qualifications of the applicants here,

Hold this thought...

Qwerty17 said:
but regardless, I'm a little disappointed that they are accepting OOS with in-state ties before offering seats to qualified IS applicants.

Incorrect.

Qwerty17 said:
Especially since anyone's ties/claims to Nevada will be largely unsubstantiated and certainly unverified.

Incorrect.

Qwerty17 said:
Even if they did want to confirm that so and so's father, sister, or grandmother lives in Las Vegas after acceptance, you could easily cover your tracks and say they just happened to move.

Incorrect.

Qwerty17 said:
I wish other states were so generous to us, but unfortunately the reality is that Nevada has among the lowest percentage of students who matriculate OOS and the second highest percentage of those who do not ultimately get accepted anywhere. I'm beginning to believe one of the weaker parts of my application was my state residency. https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf

We have observed this phenomenon also, but it seems to stem from suboptimal application strategies, which are likely influenced by a lack of advising. We have encountered a number of premedical students with solid credentials who either (1) don't apply broadly, (2) head straight to osteopathic school, or (3) head straight to the Caribbean schools. We are working to improve the situation where we can, but it will take time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hold this thought...

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

We have observed this phenomenon also, but it seems to stem from bad application strategies, which are likely influenced by a lack of good advising. We have encountered a disturbing number of premedical students with solid credentials who either (1) don't apply broadly, (2) head straight to osteopathic school, or (3) head straight to the Caribbean. We are working to improve the situation in southern Nevada, but it will take time.

So would you say that OOS with ties has gone from "good chance" to "grim" or (gasp) "DOA" (post on 12/23/16)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At the end of the day only two things truly matter (especially for a charter class with full ride tuition): GPA and MCAT. That's just the reality of medical school admissions. Obviously they're going to take OOS with impressive metrics over in state that will bring their numbers down.

Last edited:
At the end of the day only two things truly matter (especially for a charter class with full ride tuition): GPA and MCAT. That's just the reality of medical school admissions. Obviously they're going to take OOS with impressive metrics over in state that will bring their numbers down.
1922_Anger_InsideOut_341.jpg

Nothing but alternative facts here.

Out of sheer curiosity, I had our stats guy crunch the MCAT numbers for the accepted IS vs OOS pools, and the difference in means is not statistically significant (p = 0.537).

Reactions: 6 users
We have encountered a disturbing number of premedical students with solid credentials who either ... (2) head straight to osteopathic school...
We appreciate the insight, but let's be careful with the wording here - before you guys the only medical school that was serving southern Nevada was osteopathic

We appreciate the insight, but let's be careful with the wording here - before you guys the only medical school that was serving southern Nevada was osteopathic
Agreed. Both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools serve their populations very well. To those reading this, you will be successful at any medical school you attend.

We take issue with some decisions that applicants have made, often in a vacuum, not with the medical schools themselves.

Incidentally, UNR has ~120 Las Vegas-based clinical faculty, mostly in the Medical District, who have been serving southern Nevada for many years. The city is plenty big for multiple medical schools to happily coexist.

Last edited:
Wait are you sure they've accepted OOS with in state ties? But wow that's crazy that 70% of IS applicants don't get accepted. I wish that table provided stats to compare to other states too

:eek: 70%!? Is that referring to allopathic acceptances only? My mind just exploded a bit. I didn't realize Nevada's matriculation % was so low.

:eek: 70%!? Is that referring to allopathic acceptances only? My mind just exploded a bit. I didn't realize Nevada's matriculation % was so low.
I'm assuming that's just MD yeah. But seriously that's crazy. Only worse state is Arizona haha. Sucks to live in the west apparently

Hold this thought...

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

We have observed this phenomenon also, but it seems to stem from bad application strategies, which are likely influenced by a lack of good advising. We have encountered a disturbing number of premedical students with solid credentials who either (1) don't apply broadly, (2) head straight to osteopathic school, or (3) head straight to the Caribbean. We are working to improve the situation in southern Nevada, but it will take time.

A subset of those accepted have legal residence outside Nevada. Every one of them has a compelling connection to the state.

There's a direct contradiction here. Perhaps, the connection is verifiable, but the main point is that OOS applicants are being accepted before IS applicants. You say this is incorrect, but then 30 minutes later post that a subset of acceptances went to non-residents.

Nothing but alternative facts here.

Out of sheer curiosity, I had our stats guy crunch the MCAT numbers for the accepted IS vs OOS pools, and the difference in means is not statistically significant (p = 0.537).

This to me is just more evidence in support of the idea that Nevada residents are being passed over for no good purpose.

As somebody who has had formal or informal communications to all the acceptees, I can say that everyone I have seen whether OOS or not does have a pretty convincing organizational or service tie to Nevada and really Las Vegas specifically. I won't elaborate on that further but I have a pretty good idea of what UNLV Medicine is talking about.

And btw, Either way, IS HAVE been accepted first. I'm proof of that, so I don't know what you mean. And 2) what do you mean "no good reason"? You would have no way of knowing that.

Can I just say one other thing too? This trend of people creating accounts just for this thread and/or the UNR thread is getting a little ridiculous.

There's a direct contradiction here. Perhaps, the connection is verifiable, but the main point is that OOS applicants are being accepted before IS applicants. You say this is incorrect, but then 30 minutes later post that a subset of acceptances went to non-residents.

Your insinuation is that we are doing @VegasGuy702 suggested above, which is to pad our class with high-stat OOS (read California) students. This is not what we are doing. Most of the accepted OOS students fall into one of two categories: (1) individuals who were raised in Nevada and left to go to school and/or take a job and lost legal residence, and (2) individuals who have already moved to Nevada and will be legal residents by July 17. The former group is functionally native, the latter is not being penalized for what they put in AMCAS last spring.

Qwerty17 said:
This to me is just more evidence in support of the idea that Nevada residents are being passed over for no good purpose.

It is consistent with the admissions committee judging applicants' ties individually and in context. It is inconsistent with metric padding, which would result in people being "passed over."

I hope this provides some clarity.

Last month people were not happy because OOS were not being assessed fairly. This month, IS were being not being assess fairly.

Lord almighty. Maybe we'll all just blink out of existence next month.

Please remember folks, at this point, not only are you being evaluated at becoming a medical student, but also my classmate and potential colleague. If you think hostile or contentious statements on a public forum towards admin and others help your cause, you better grow up real fast.

Please remember folks, at this point, not only are you being evaluated at becoming a medical student, but also my classmate and potential colleague. If you think hostile or contentious statements on a public forum towards admin and others help your cause, you better grow up real fast.

While I don't like the manner in which the UNLV official account replies to people, to Qwerty, just go ahead and take a look at the accepted group for official students. Almost everyone is from Nevada or born in Nevada. It is true that many accepted applicants with high stats are not accepted each year to medial school and many lower stats candidates are. MED school admissions is a bit of a gamble! I hope you are accepted somewhere soon.

Last month people were not happy because OOS were not being assessed fairly. This month, IS were being not being assess fairly.

Lord almighty. Maybe we'll all just blink out of existence next month.
The OUT of state user who posted had no ties and was upset because he or she was told he could apply with a huge chance and would not have wasted $75 on secondary if he didn't.

Such is the application process of applying to new schools - the uncertainty. But the mission statement which only focuses on NV should have been a hint to those applying as this is a mission based school

Btw, I apologize if I'm coming across as needlessly sarcastic but I honestly believe all of these concerns I have heard for other med schools as well. The rules of the game suck, but you can't win if you don't play.

As somebody who has had formal or informal communications to all the acceptees, I can say that everyone I have seen whether OOS or not does have a pretty convincing organizational or service tie to Nevada and really Las Vegas specifically. I won't elaborate on that further but I have a pretty good idea of what UNLV Medicine is talking about.

And btw, Either way, IS HAVE been accepted first. I'm proof of that, so I don't know what you mean. And 2) what do you mean "no good reason"? You would have no way of knowing that.

I don't doubt your validation, but I do doubt that you have had a meaningful conversation with ALL ~54 of those who have been accepted. If you have, looks like you will be the competition for those gunning to be class president.

Can I just say one other thing too? This trend of people creating accounts just for this thread and/or the UNR thread is getting a little ridiculous.

Sorry if you find this disappointing, but this is my first and only SDN account.

Assuming you are referring to me, I have reread my previous posts and personally can not find what you might consider a "contentious or hostile" comment (previous being the keyword here). Telling somebody they "better grow up real fast" on the other hand, I believe, easily qualifies. Maybe you should start evaluating yourself a bit more than those whom you consider to be future classmates. After all, others will have to be your colleague.

I might as well point how your advice may not be all that sound, since "hostile or contentious statements on a public forum" is what "helped the cause" of our current President getting into the White House.

Btw, I apologize if I'm coming across as needlessly sarcastic but I
Sarcasm? There is nothing ironic about any of your posts. Impolite, Ill-mannered, and perhaps rough are the words you are looking for.
honestly believe all of these concerns I have heard for other med schools as well.
I apologize for not sleuthing SDN regularly or actively enough to have come across these concerns previously, and thus have wasted your time and riled you up by posting things you have already read so many times before. However, participation on this forum is entirely voluntary, so if you find you do not like what you are reading, or are becoming emotionally influenced in a way that you will lash out with your keyboard, maybe it is time to step away.

Telling a school they are rejecting for "no good purpose" = pretty hostile from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
95% of the people reading this forum. :laugh:

0hQyd5L.gif

Reactions: 15 users

I completely understand your frustration as someone that had an unsuccessful cycle last year. Consider, though, that the data for next year will not look anything like this. Even if UNLV only gives half of their seats to in-state applicants, we would land in a pretty healthy spot as a state in terms of matriculating in-state as well as the number that did not matriculate anywhere. This is even assuming you're completely disinterested in DO.

It's your right to disagree and be frustrated if UNLV gives fewer seats to in-state applicants than you'd have liked, but you are not at a disadvantage at all based on your state residency. If you haven't already been accepted, both UNLV and especially Reno will have plenty of seats opening up since they will likely have accepted many of the same applicants. If not, just work on reapplying. I would have been devastated if I didn't get accepted two years in a row, but not getting in last cycle ended up being the best thing that could have happened. These things have a way of working out. Keep your head up!

I completely understand your frustration as someone that had an unsuccessful cycle last year. Consider, though, that the data for next year will not look anything like this. Even if UNLV only gives half of their seats to in-state applicants, we would land in a pretty healthy spot as a state in terms of matriculating in-state as well as the number that did not matriculate anywhere. This is even assuming you're completely disinterested in DO.

It's your right to disagree and be frustrated if UNLV gives fewer seats to in-state applicants than you'd have liked, but you are not at a disadvantage at all based on your state residency. If you haven't already been accepted, both UNLV and especially Reno will have plenty of seats opening up since they will likely have accepted many of the same applicants. If not, just work on reapplying. I would have been devastated if I didn't get accepted two years in a row, but not getting in last cycle ended up being the best thing that could have happened. These things have a way of working out. Keep your head up!

Alright, let me back up for second and just say that I apologize to everyone in this thread, including @Qwerty17 and @VegasGuy702, who feels like they are unfairly having their time and/or efforts overextended for a school they really want to go to, but I keep pushing back on the contrary because I truly believe they are doing the best they can with the time constraints and applicant pool.

I can say that I personally know by the dozens and dozens people I applied with who deserve a spot who for whatever reason still haven't gotten accepted and might not, and I think that's heartbreaking. What @curlsinthesquatrack says is the point I agree with the most, the only best thing you can do is be a resident or have some ties because that's the easiest thing to compare to their mission at the end of the day. If they were actually doing it based on metrics, why not just pick the top 60 and be done with it in 5 minutes? In the end, I think they have to look at everyone's app overall pretty closely.

Truth is, none of us know what the magic formula really is that gets us that phone call. I think you are doing yourself no favors by thinking up some theories that may or may not exist. If you do get in, was it really worth in the end to be so frustrated about what somebody else's state ties?

Well, one last comment: pretty random, sir/madam.

EDIT: One, one, last thing: Telling a school they are rejecting for "no good purpose" = pretty hostile from where I'm sitting.

Jesus Alma1989, your SDN handle makes identifying you very easy. That means your future medical school has been watching you get in petty arguments over the internet. I don't understand how you are comfortable with this. It shows a lack of social awareness and professionalism.

Jesus Alma1989, your SDN handle makes identifying you very easy. That means your future medical school has been watching you get in petty arguments over the internet. I don't understand how you are comfortable with this. It shows a lack of social awareness and professionalism.

I'm passionate about this school, and I think their process has been fair if imperfect, so I want to defend that. That's not a petty argument.

It's hurtful to me to hear people question a school's selection process especially since I have seen how strong the character and lives of the people who were accepted.

Last edited:
:dead::whistle:

Rolling my eyes so far back in my head because your username LOL SERIOUSLY
ALL OF YOU
CALM
DOWN

NONE OF YOU ARE GETTING ANYTHING OUT BY DOING THIS.

CHILL

also The Real Alma, realize that there are people who are hurt that they aren't accepted. Reapplying is emotionally fatiguing. This one cycle was fatiguing. You don't need to press this again and again. Let them talk it out on a public forum. Both of us got lucky we were accepted - most people who apply to med school TRY their best. An acceptance doesn't mean we are BETTER necessarily.

Also for those not accepted this cycle, CONTACT the schools. See what was missing in your app!!! Ask Goro and the ADComs here for advice on your school list. Apply early. This entire process is really really random!!! Maybe your app got invited for an interview but you were too nervous in your interview or maybe you and your interviewer didn't mesh well style wise.

The best thing you can do is improve your app and see what you can do next time.

Cut it out with the empty threats and the most annoying thing - saying someone won't be a good doctor because we all knowwww the Internet doesn't allow us to convey tone properly!!!!

Calm
Down
Stop spamming the page with arguments. Ask genuine questions- and no - the truth is that people who were NV residents were accepted first. It was done by geographic location.

YOUR FAKE ACCOUNT ISNT PROFESSIONAL BTW EITHER AT THE FAKE ALMA

This is exactly why Sirhero AND I maintain our anonymity

Since when was SDN THIS NUTTY

Ah nuts, I broke @cantelopeavocado. :)

Well said. I'll step back from this point forward. If you all need help, please feel free to message me.

I started questioning the integrity of the app process when I learned that several donors requested acceptance for specific applicants.

I never made a fuss because one of the applicants this applies to deserves to get in on merit alone. Despite animosity from qwerty and alma towards each other, I really think the tone was set early on in the way the unlv account responds to people on here. Still, we shouldn't let this thread degenerate to low level trolling and name calling.