2016-2017 University Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for letting everyone know! Definitely appreciate it! Stoked that February is a short month ;)

Username checks out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 12/1 or after been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Admitted 1/30 at around 10:00AM! I'm so excited for this opportunity!
I also interviewed on Super Saturday. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 4 users
Done. Congratulations to those who made the cut this round, best of luck to those still dangling on the hook.

Will the entire applicant pool be looked at again in February and March?

Dean Atkinson's "Making the Rounds" email about the admissions process implied that the entire pool won't be looked at again until April, and it has been stated that how early you interview doesn't affect your likelihood of acceptance. Does this mean the spots for February and March are for those who are still interviewing?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
images
For the past two months I've spent the last week of the month so on edge! I got a call from an unknown Nevada number Monday and was so let down when the Verizon guy started telling me about their great February promotions.

Dean Atkinson's "Making the Rounds" email about the admissions process implied that the entire pool won't be looked at again until April, and it has been stated that how early you interview doesn't affect your likelihood of acceptance. Does this mean the spots for February and March are for those who are still interviewing?

I'm sure you can appreciate the inherent difficulty of translating the secret inner workings of an admissions committee into a communiqué.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
As interview season has worn on we have been hearing some interesting rumors that have circulated regarding the UNLV School of Medicine. One is that our charter class will not be able to enter the match until 2022. This is simply false. Just ask the charter classes of FSU, FIU, UCF, FAU, Hofstra, Commonwealth, Cooper Rowan, VT Carilion, Texas Tech-El Paso, and Oakland-William Beaumont.

Another is that our students will be competing with UNR students for clerkship slots in Las Vegas. This is also false. UNR has a final cohort of 16 students doing their third year clerkships in Las Vegas from 2017-2018. From 2018 onward there will be no UNR third years in Las Vegas, and UNR fourth years will have to apply for electives here through VSAS.

If anyone has heard other rumors about the UNLV School of Medicine, and would like me to address them, please feel free to post them or PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As interview season has worn on we have been hearing some interesting rumors that have circulated regarding the UNLV School of Medicine. One is that our charter class will not be able to enter the match until 2022. This is simply false. Just ask the charter classes of FSU, FIU, UCF, FAU, Hofstra, Commonwealth, Cooper Rowan, VT Carilion, Texas Tech-El Paso, and Oakland-William Beaumont.

Another is that our students will be competing with UNR students for clerkship slots in Las Vegas. This is also false. UNR has a final cohort of 16 students doing their third year clerkships in Las Vegas from 2017-2018. From 2018 onward there will be no UNR third years in Las Vegas, and UNR fourth years will have to apply for electives here through VSAS.

If anyone has heard other rumors about the UNLV School of Medicine, and would like me to address them, please feel free to post them or PM me.
This Las Vegas sun article that said the first class will only be for primary care? I'm not even sure what that means haha, is this some of that fake news I've been hearing about?

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/25/unlv-medical-school-to-begin-classes-this-summer/

This Las Vegas sun article that said the first class will only be for primary care? I'm not even sure what that means haha, is this some of that fake news I've been hearing about?

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/25/unlv-medical-school-to-begin-classes-this-summer/

A strange read. To clarify, this is not a primary care medical school. We are mission-based, but our mission is to serve Nevada. Like many states, Nevada is sorely lacking in primary care physicians, and we will be delighted to have graduates who match into primary care fields, but we intend to educate future physicians across every specialty. In fact, the LCME stipulates as part of accreditation that our students must be prepared and capable of pursuing any specialty.

Also, orientation starts on July 17, not July 1.

A strange read. To clarify, this is not a primary care medical school. We are mission-based, but our mission is to serve Nevada. Like many states, Nevada is sorely lacking in primary care physicians, and we will be delighted to have graduates who match into primary care fields, but we intend to educate future physicians across every specialty. In fact, the LCME stipulates as part of accreditation that our students must be prepared and capable of pursuing any specialty.

Also, orientation starts on July 17, not July 1.
Thank you for clarifying!

I do not believe that fake rumors will be deterring any student away from here! At this age and at this education level, many of us are able to quickly decipher what is true and not...and have the initiative to ask! I'm so excited to be here next year, and the people who applied really are excited about coming here. However, I do understand that some students will value prestige or maybe UNR is closer to home for them. I LOVE YOU UNLV!!

One of the guiding principles of SDN is to mask your identity and concealing who you are. I've done my part in masking it sufficiently so that my classmates can't tell my account. As @SirHero posted, anonymity on these forums is important. it is easy to discover who is who. My stats + activities + personal life listed are not "mine" but are of the same caliber to make sure that I maintain this cloak of anonymity :)
edit: removed image of acceptance letter, made response shorter

Last edited:
It looks grim this year. We have been able to approach an acceptable number of interview offers without dipping into the pool of OOS applicants that have no connection to Nevada.

While this is of zero comfort right now, in 5+ years we anticipate enlarging the class size and becoming a more typical public medical school, meaning a subset of future OOS/no connection applicants will be admitted.

You said that you're a school with integrity that's not in the business of taking money from poor students who don't have a realistic chance of getting in. You also said that anyone who gets a secondary was absolutely gonna be considered, *including* OOS students from neighboring states with no connections to NV. So we believed you and submitted applications. However, in reality you're admitting that the latter group was not even given that consideration they were promised. Will you consider doing the right thing here and refund the application fee for those students who were told (in good faith by you) that they had a shot as part of that group, when they really didn't end up having one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You said that you're a school with integrity that's not in the business of taking money from poor students who don't have a realistic chance of getting in. You also said that anyone who gets a secondary was absolutely gonna be considered, *including* OOS students from neighboring states with no connections to NV. So we believed you and submitted applications. However, in reality you're admitting that the latter group was not even given that consideration they were promised. Will you consider doing the right thing here and refund the application fee for those students who were told (in good faith by you) that they had a shot as part of that group, when they really didn't end up having one?

You seem to be making two points here, and I will address them individually.

1. You state that OOS applicants from neighboring states without ties to NV were not given consideration. Actually, these individuals were given consideration. Their applications were reviewed by real people, who assessed them on their merits in the context of (A) our mission, and (B) the rest of the applicant pool. They got what they paid for, but the unfortunate fact is that the vast majority of applicants will walk away disappointed in their respective outcomes.

2. You insinuate that we designed our secondary criteria to bilk certain OOS students. Perhaps you could look at things from our perspective, and consider the following facts: (A) Nevada now has two public medical schools, with 130 M1 seats between them. (B) AAMC reports only 241 applicants with legal residence in Nevada this cycle. (C) UNLV is geographically mission-based. (D) We could not open admissions until late October. (E) Nobody had a good model for the number of applications we would receive from IS, OOS with ties, and OOS without ties, and nobody knew how good those applications would be. So yes, we given the layers of uncertainty we cast a wide net. If you had to make the call with the same starting information. I believe you would have likely done the same thing we did. It was, after all, the most logical choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You seem to be making two points here, and I will address them individually.

1. You state that OOS applicants from neighboring states without ties to NV were not given consideration. Actually, these individuals were given consideration. Their applications were reviewed by real people, who assessed them on their merits in the context of (A) our mission, and (B) the rest of the applicant pool. They got what they paid for, but the unfortunate fact is that the vast majority of applicants will walk away disappointed in their respective outcomes.

2. You insinuate that we designed our secondary criteria to bilk certain OOS students. Perhaps you could look at things from our perspective, and consider the following facts: (A) Nevada now has two public medical schools, with 130 M1 seats between them. (B) AAMC reports only 241 applicants with legal residence in Nevada this cycle. (C) UNLV is geographically mission-based. (D) We could not open admissions until late October. (E) Nobody had a good model for the number of applications we would receive from IS, OOS with ties, and OOS without ties, and nobody knew how good those applications would be. So yes, we given the layers of uncertainty we cast a wide net. If you had to make the call with the same starting information. I believe you would have likely done the same thing we did. It was, after all, the most logical choice.

I can say throughout this process, no school's admission process has been perfect, even UNLV, but I appreciate the outreach via newsletters and this SDN account. I understand the frustration of @SpicyMD but I feel maybe as a resident myself, it was more clear to see how geographically focused this mission was.

The shoe has been on the other foot for me. I have applied to other schools that tout higher than average OOS acceptance rates only to wait 5+ months and get rejected with no II, never even given the slightest clue of knowing if I had a realistic chance in their vast pool either.

Last edited:
PSA: The next round of acceptance phone calls will start on Wednesday, March 1.

If you are waiting for a decision, please do not spend February 27 and 28 having any more epigastric pain than usual.

Reactions: 13 users
How do rejections work? Will they be sent on the first of the month as well?

Good luck tomorrow, brethren.:happy:

Thanks and good luck everyone. Whether we hear good news today or in the future we just have to keep on fighting.

Reactions: 3 users
11:47 am in the great state of Nevada. Anyone get the happiest phone call of their life yet?

Will all acceptance calls for this round go out today, or rather over the next few days?

Same. I had two phone calls this morning, but neither was from UNLV :(

I was accepted earlier this morning around 10:30! I feel so lucky and I hope that some of you will be getting a call soon too! I interviewed in January.

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted earlier this morning around 10:30! I feel so lucky and I hope that some of you will be getting a call soon too! I interviewed in January.
Congratulations!!

So does UNLV also not accept people in order of interview dates? I interviewed in mid-December. Doesn't that mean I should likely hear back today if people who interviewed in January did? Just a bit confused so far. And big congrats to those accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
So does UNLV also not accept people in order of interview dates? I interviewed in mid-December. Doesn't that mean I should likely hear back today if people who interviewed in January did? Just a bit confused so far. And big congrats to those accepted!

I was interviewed in November and haven't heard anything but in my interview they mentioned that it would be a rolling/ nonrolling basis. Still hopeful!

I was interviewed in November and haven't heard anything but in my interview they mentioned that it would be a rolling/ nonrolling basis. Still hopeful!

So what exactly does that mean then? Does it mean that if we haven't heard back in that long that they have reviewed us but are not sure about us so they are waiting to compare us to the next pool?

So what exactly does that mean then? Does it mean that if we haven't heard back in that long that they have reviewed us but are not sure about us so they are waiting to compare us to the next pool?

That is what I am thinking. But who knows honestly from what I know admissions committees kinda just do what they want.

They've posted on here before that it's not really rolling. Since it's the first year, they wanted people to have a chance to get their applications in. So people who interviewed later might hear back earlier. I don't know if they're doing it like UNR where it sounded as if it's random as to who gets reviewed each time or if everyone gets reviewed and added back to the pile for the next round. Still hoping for good news. Good luck!

UNLV Medicine, is the chance that a November interviewee could still be accepted this season fairly dismal at this point?

UNLV Medicine, is the chance that a November interviewee could still be accepted this season fairly dismal at this point?

With 300 interviews, 60 seats, and full tuition scholarships, I don't want to instill false hope. But the mixed rolling/non-rolling system means that, theoretically, someone who interviewed early could land in the "almost but not quite" (i.e. perpetual bridesmaid) position during each subsequent admissions committee meeting. That individual could then end up high enough on the waitlist to secure a spot, pending enough withdraws.

I certainly wouldn't be optimistic at this point, but the cycle isn't over quite yet.

If you want my analysis, UNLV will want the best possible class. As long as there are seats open and you aren't rejected, you're still in the running. If you're a better applicant than a later one, you'll be taken over them.

It also depends on how many they accepted today. Prior to today, they accepted about 12 and then about 24 according to the Facebook group and emails to accepted people who didn't join the Facebook group. If they followed with that, it's possible they already hit 60 today.

It seems unlikely, because they originally planned on interviewing until mid March, but I'm not sure that happened. I would hope for the best but expect the worst at this point.

It says "The next round of acceptance phone calls will start on Wednesday, March 1." Have all of the acceptance phone calls been made already? Is the class full?

If you want my analysis, UNLV will want the best possible class. As long as there are seats open and you aren't rejected, you're still in the running. If you're a better applicant than a later one, you'll be taken over them.

It also depends on how many they accepted today. Prior to today, they accepted about 12 and then about 24 according to the Facebook group and emails to accepted people who didn't join the Facebook group. If they followed with that, it's possible they already hit 60 today.

It seems unlikely, because they originally planned on interviewing until mid March, but I'm not sure that happened. I would hope for the best but expect the worst at this point.

They said on the page today about 90% of the seats are filled with more acceptances coming at the end of March. Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

But they don't send out rejection notices throughout the process? Not until April?

They said on the page today about 90% of the seats are filled with more acceptances coming at the end of March. Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

What page are you referring to with the 90% statistic?