2016-2017 University Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From an earlier post: The process is a hybrid between rolling and non-rolling admissions. Seats will be offered in batches starting next week and continuing into the spring. Not getting offered a seat in the batch that follows your interview does not automatically mean you have been waitlisted or rejected.

They specifically mentioned at my interview that they are trying to set up the process so those that interview later have just as much of a chance as those who interview at the start. I get lost a little in the details with how they're doing it, but I sense that they are doing their best to be fair and level-headed about the process.

Just wondering if there will be an equal number of acceptance spots available for each interview date in the season

Per the most recent "Making the Rounds" email:

"The school is using rolling admissions, and in late December, the student admissions committee sent letters of acceptance to 14 students. We will accept another 10 to 12 medical students at the end of each month until March. In April, the student admissions committee will review the entire pool and accept the final students to fill out the charter class of 60."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Invited for an interview! There is still hope for my #1 school! I am SO excited! My hands are still shaking. I applied as a Cali resident, but my family lives in Las Vegas. There is still hope OOS people!

Round two today right? Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Have they already sent out IIs for February?

images

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Per the most recent "Making the Rounds" email:

"The school is using rolling admissions, and in late December, the student admissions committee sent letters of acceptance to 14 students. We will accept another 10 to 12 medical students at the end of each month until March. In April, the student admissions committee will review the entire pool and accept the final students to fill out the charter class of 60."

Admissions committees are notorious for doing whatever they want.

Reactions: 1 user
Just checked out the "Student Financial Services" page on the UNLV SOM website. Does the Full-Tuition Scholarships cover only tuition or does it also cover other things such as "Other Fees - Medical School" and "Other Fees - UNLV?" Granted the scholarship is great, but that $40,000 a year outside of tuition seems a bit hefty..

Just checked out the "Student Financial Services" page on the UNLV SOM website. Does the Full-Tuition Scholarships cover only tuition or does it also cover other things such as "Other Fees - Medical School" and "Other Fees - UNLV?" Granted the scholarship is great, but that $40,000 a year outside of tuition seems a bit hefty..

Do you want them to pay for your housing too?? That's 20K right there. Take a closer look b/c they aren't paying for your food and other personal items. This is just a generalized list of what's it's going to cost you to keep breathing for the next 4 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you want them to pay for your housing too?? That's 20K right there. Take a closer look b/c they aren't paying for your food and other personal items. This is just a generalized list of what's it's going to cost you to keep breathing for the next 4 years.

What I'm curious is what those "Other Fees" go to. It's understandable that the cost of living is not covered.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What I'm curious is what those "Other Fees" go to. It's understandable that the cost of living is not covered.

My guess is some of those "other fees" would be for medical equipment that each student must purchase, but I honestly don't know why the # is so large every single year. Maybe that's taking into account trips/conferences that you might take with the medical school to other locations. I would be interested though in learning more about what the 6K is used for.

During my interview day, they explained that the tuition scholarship only covered tuition. It did not cover the $3,000 annual fee (for labs/supplies/etc) or any other costs, so they explained that we would still likely need additional scholarships or loans to cover the $3,000 fee and any living expenses.

Hi guys! I am an OOS non-trad interviewing in March and I'm so excited! I just saw the "checklist" button after confirming my interview, and right above the list of interview questions that pops up, there is a spot that says "2016 Transcript" and a space to upload a document. I cannot for the life of me figure out what this is for. Does anyone else see this? If so, do you know what it is for?

Hi guys! I am an OOS non-trad interviewing in March and I'm so excited! I just saw the "checklist" button after confirming my interview, and right above the list of interview questions that pops up, there is a spot that says "2016 Transcript" and a space to upload a document. I cannot for the life of me figure out what this is for. Does anyone else see this? If so, do you know what it is for?

If you have a transcript with new and updated grades on it that weren't reflected in AMCAS (if you're currently in undergrad or grad school), then upload that transcript there!
And congrats on the II!!

Accepted today by a phone call from Dr. Parrish. Thrilled to have the chance! For what it's worth, he said he had about 20 calls to make today.

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted today by a phone call from Dr. Parrish. Thrilled to have the chance! For what it's worth, he said he had about 20 calls to make today.

Congrats!! Out of curiosity, when did you interview?

Did you just get the call or was it earlier? Also congrats!!

Reactions: 2 users

Wow, almost 20 calls!... That's a lot more than I was expecting since I thought they would be conservative until all the interviews were done. I guess that means the inaugural class is already halfway filled!

Accepted by phone call. I'm currently at an airport and started hyperventilating. Not a great place to do that let me tell ya. :)

Reactions: 11 users
The admissions committee meets all day, so I would anticipate the next round of calls being made on Monday.

Any chance the admissions committee can post when they finish making the calls? Just so I can let my mom know that she can call me... ;)

Reactions: 3 users

Congrats! I got accepted too! Woohoo, I'm so ecstatic. This is the best day ever! :)

Reactions: 8 users
My friend was accepted about 3 hours ago!!! Excited to meet y'all does anyone want to start an FB group?

Accepted as well! So excited to meet all of you :)

Reactions: 3 users
My friend was accepted about 3 hours ago!!! Excited to meet y'all does anyone want to start an FB group?
Dr. Parrish mentioned that they were setting up a facebook page & that we should be hearing about it soon :)

Dr. Parrish mentioned that they were setting up a facebook page & that we should be hearing about it soon :)
Yay! I am excited- didn't hear that in my December interview call :) thanks for the update!!! We finally have enough people to form a decent sized group.

Done. Congratulations to those who made the cut this round, best of luck to those still dangling on the hook.

Thanks for letting everyone know! Definitely appreciate it! Stoked that February is a short month ;)