2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary Received 07/08 !

Secondary Submitted 07/09 !

Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

My application was verified June 27th and I still have not received any email from UCSD, not even a request for SSN like some others have mentioned. Should I be concerned?

On the same boat as you... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump: Does the Prime-HEq program require you to pursue a Master's degree?

I believe I read "strongly encourage" somewhere... I am assuming they mean MPH, but I will already have my MPH... I just want to check before I apply/write that second essay

Bump: Does the Prime-HEq program require you to pursue a Master's degree?

I believe I read "strongly encourage" somewhere... I am assuming they mean MPH, but I will already have my MPH... I just want to check before I apply/write that second essay

I have asked before and they said if you already have a Master's, they will require you to pursue another Master's program because it's a 5-year dual degree program. So if you have an MPH already, you'll have to pursue another like MBA or MEd. At least that was the response when I asked 2 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the only way to pay the secondary fee through e-check? There doesn't appear to be a credit card option.

How serious is the screen here ? I got a secondary and I'm surprised as I'm out of state, without research experience. LizzyM ~75 so curious if this is a stats screen or more holistic at UCSD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How serious is the screen here ? I got a secondary and I'm surprised as I'm out of state, without research experience. LizzyM ~75 so curious if this is a stats screen or more holistic at UCSD

I called before applying here because I was worried about the screen with my lower stats/lots of experience, and they said it's a holistic screen by someone on the admissions committee. They still screen out extremely low stats though too (<3.0, <500)

My application was verified June 27th and I still have not received any email from UCSD, not even a request for SSN like some others have mentioned. Should I be concerned?

I just received the SSN request email, verified on the same date as you! No need to worry yet, think they are just processing a whole lot of applications! Good luck with everything :)

Received the secondary 7/8 after 6/12 verification, reapplicant. Last year, received my secondary early october more than a month after the SSN submission. Don't know how applicable my situation is to everyone else, I have a significant institutional action on my record. From what I remember with my communication with the admissions office, there's an automatic screen, but if you don't get past that, they'll review your application manually. I believe they said 2/3 get the secondary.

First application this cycle where I'm taking my time... have rewritten the majority of this year's submission for the prompt, anybody else think that the 6000 character limit is actually too little? haha

Have a pretty complex story, pains me to leave out so many important chunks of my life +pity+

I just received the SSN request email, verified on the same date as you! No need to worry yet, think they are just processing a whole lot of applications! Good luck with everything :)

Thank you! I just received my SSN request as well. Best of luck!

I'm thinking about applying for the clninical research masters. Anyone know whether the essay you write for taht will affect you acceptance into teh regular MD? Basically, will they first admit me, then decide on masters? Or am I basically now competing for MD/MS spots vs. competing for MD spots? I ask because I don't think my app is strong for the clinical research masters, but I want to give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about applying for the clninical research masters. Anyone know whether the essay you write for taht will affect you acceptance into teh regular MD? Basically, will they first admit me, then decide on masters? Or am I basically now competing for MD/MS spots vs. competing for MD spots? I ask because I don't think my app is strong for the clinical research masters, but I want to give it a shot.
Pretty sure it has no bearing on your acceptance to the regular MD program (except it might help make you look more interested in their school), but if you are accepted MD then you would begin competing for the MD/MS spots. I might be totally off but that was my understanding when I applied to one of their dual programs

Also wondering this exact same thing! Would love to be in the program; don't want to make my chances even slimmer

Could someone break down what it means to write an autobiography about why you are pursuing a career in medicine... without repeating your personal statement?

My personal statement was written in the form of an autobiography (i.e. when and how I got into medicine, what I did to pursue it, how my view of medicine has changed through clinical experience, etc.). I'm not knocking the prompt; I just am hoping for advice on how to redo what you've already done. I can't go back and un-autobiographize my personal statement, so I feel a little stuck.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Could someone break down what it means to write an autobiography about why you are pursuing a career in medicine... without repeating your personal statement?

My personal statement was written in the form of an autobiography (i.e. when and how I got into medicine, what I did to pursue it, how my view of medicine has changed through clinical experience, etc.). I'm not knocking the prompt, I just am hoping for advice on how to redo what you've already done. I can't go back and un-autobiographize my personal statement, so I feel a little stuck.

Any ideas?
idk if I did this right, but I sort of played down the medicine part of the prompt. I just mentioned my life story, and showed how I evolved. On some parts, I made a connection to medicine, and said something like "this is a reason I am pursueing medicine, because in this experience I learned blah blah blah, and that applies to medicine by blah blah blah. I only talked aobut my direct involvement in medicine when I got to college, but even then BARELY. Like 3 sentences. Like you, I already wrote all my significant directly applicable medical stories.

Just got the secondary as well.

How stiff is the screen?

Is there any way to pay with credit card, or are only echecks possible?

Secondary today. And I didn't think that secondaries could get any longer after Miami's..................

Is there any way to pay with credit card, or are only echecks possible?

I only saw the echeck option unfortunately.. kind of a pain, but alas.

I called before applying here because I was worried about the screen with my lower stats/lots of experience, and they said it's a holistic screen by someone on the admissions committee. They still screen out extremely low stats though too (<3.0, <500)
They told you that? Lol I feel like schools should just put their computer screen outs online especially if they're willing to tell you what they are if you call.

I feel less special for getting a secondary though. Haha jk

Received the secondary 7/8 after 6/12 verification, reapplicant. Last year, received my secondary early october more than a month after the SSN submission. Don't know how applicable my situation is to everyone else, I have a significant institutional action on my record. From what I remember with my communication with the admissions office, there's an automatic screen, but if you don't get past that, they'll review your application manually. I believe they said 2/3 get the secondary.

First application this cycle where I'm taking my time... have rewritten the majority of this year's submission for the prompt, anybody else think that the 6000 character limit is actually too little? haha

Have a pretty complex story, pains me to leave out so many important chunks of my life +pity+

Yes! I am seriously struggling to stay within the character limit :confused:

Does anyone know if applying for PRIME places you in a separate applicant pool, or are you only considered for the program once you are admitted into the MD program?

For the global health concentration question, it states a 4800 character max, but also that a response should not exceed 1 page. Which rule am I supposed to follow? 4800 characters is definitely over 1 page

For the global health concentration question, it states a 4800 character max, but also that a response should not exceed 1 page. Which rule am I supposed to follow? 4800 characters is definitely over 1 page

Personally I would go with whatever one is shortest but that is just me.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if applying for PRIME places you in a separate applicant pool, or are you only considered for the program once you are admitted into the MD program?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter - you first have to be admitted into MD program.

Does anyone know how strict the requirement is for a passport photo? I've been using a nice photo but the background, though consistent, is not white...

Does anyone know how strict the requirement is for a passport photo? I've been using a nice photo but the background, though consistent, is not white...

Not sure, I hope not too strict. Same, I used a plain background but not white or passport like. Just a nice professional photo.

Not sure, I hope not too strict. Same, I used a plain background but not white or passport like. Just a nice professional photo.

same here, professional attire and plain background, but not white.

Did any of you mention getting married in your autobiography? I'm recently married and it's obviously important to me, but I'm worried it might be too personal/create bias or whatnot.

Did any of you mention getting married in your autobiography? I'm recently married and it's obviously important to me, but I'm worried it might be too personal/create bias or whatnot.
Personally, I think it would be weird if you didn't mention it, it's a huge part of your life and should definitely be included in an autobiography. Also, congratulations!!

Anyone have any advice on how to approach this essay if a good chunk of the information that relates to medicine was already mentioned in your primary? My primary was in a story format.

Are you telling me people have gotten interview invites?

Also, have people's apps been forwards to the committee? I submitted about 2 weeks ago and it still says --

Also, have people's apps been forwards to the committee? I submitted about 2 weeks ago and it still says --

same, submitted 7/14 and the letters just got marked as downloaded today, but the forward to committee line is still -- .

OMG JUST GOT AN II!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
When did yours say that it got forwarded to committee review?
There still isn't a date shown and I can't sign up for an interview slot yet? Idk I'll try again later today and let you know!