2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering taking a summer class to satisfy humanities/social science requirement. If accepted, I'll start med. school in the fall of this year. Does anyone know when prerequisites need to be completed?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering taking a summer class to satisfy humanities/social science requirement. If accepted, I'll start med. school in the fall of this year. Does anyone know when prerequisites need to be completed?
July 1st

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview coming up next week (II sent on 11/15) and I'm from way out of state (southern California) and I have a somewhat trivial question to ask-- Do think it's possible to wear heels (woman here) from the the Days Hotel to the interview location? Or will it be too cold/icy? I'm planning on taking an uber or the green line, so I'm assuming I can avoid being outside for any long periods of time. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up next week (II sent on 11/15) and I'm from way out of state (southern California) and I have a somewhat trivial question to ask-- Do think it's possible to wear heels (woman here) from the the Days Hotel to the interview location? Or will it be too cold/icy? I'm planning on taking an uber or the green line, so I'm assuming I can avoid being outside for any long periods of time. Any help is appreciated!
I would bring heels and another comfortable pair of shoes because the tour is long and there are lots of stairs! Also don't mess with Minnesota winters. I would definitely not wear heels traveling to the interview. The last thing you want is to be nervous, cold, and break an ankle before your big day. Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I would bring heels and another comfortable pair of shoes because the tour is long and there are lots of stairs! Also don't mess with Minnesota winters. I would definitely not wear heels traveling to the interview. The last thing you want is to be nervous, cold, and break an ankle before your big day. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks so much!

For Duluth applicants, is anyone else in the "highest priority acceptance pool?" The email says that most in this pool are offered spots, anyone know if this is true?

Can any current students comment on the community here? With it being such a large school I just am curious if the classmates are close. (Twin Cities campus)

Can any current students comment on the community here? With it being such a large school I just am curious if the classmates are close. (Twin Cities campus)
+1
I felt a bit concerned after my interview day that the optional lectures and large class size might make it harder to build a tight-knit community. I'm not sure if I'm right on this or not, but I would love to hear a student's perspective.

+1
I felt a bit concerned after my interview day that the optional lectures and large class size might make it harder to build a tight-knit community. I'm not sure if I'm right on this or not, but I would love to hear a student's perspective.

From speaking with students, my impression is that you will certainly make friends but that it is not super tight knit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students want to weigh in?
I didn't know any of the other med students when I was accepted last year (and went to college out of state), and now one of the people who I hang out with the most was literally the first person I met on the first day of the optional enrichment program last summer. It is true that the class size is large in the Twin Cities where I am, but I would not worry at all about making friends (even if you are the shy, study-all-day type). Everyone is super friendly, even if they happen to be someone who you don't talk to very often. Plus, even though many of the lectures are optional, there are also weekly mandatory sessions (including small group ECM sessions and occasional FCT sessions) which have ~10 people sitting at one table with a professor/preceptor. These small group sessions are a great way to get to know people in class early in first semester. :) Starting second semester you are also learning more in-depth clinical skills for a few hours every week in groups of three, so you get to know them really well too.

TL;DR version: The class size is large, and I don't know everyone super well, but I don't think it limits class cohesion and I wouldn't worry at all about making friends :) Since we have a no pass/pass/honors grading system, and "honors" is only determined by earning a certain percentage of the class points (no class curve, class rank, etc.) it is a super friendly, cooperative environment. :)

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't know any of the other med students when I was accepted last year (and went to college out of state), and now one of the people who I hang out with the most was literally the first person I met on the first day of the optional enrichment program last summer. It is true that the class size is large in the Twin Cities where I am, but I would not worry at all about making friends (even if you are the shy, study-all-day type). Everyone is super friendly, even if they happen to be someone who you don't talk to very often. Plus, even though many of the lectures are optional, there are also weekly mandatory sessions (including small group ECM sessions and occasional FCT sessions) which have ~10 people sitting at one table with a professor/preceptor. These small group sessions are a great way to get to know people in class early in first semester. :) Starting second semester you are also learning more in-depth clinical skills for a few hours every week in groups of three, so you get to know them really well too.

TL;DR version: The class size is large, and I don't know everyone super well, but I don't think it limits class cohesion and I wouldn't worry at all about making friends :) Since we have a no pass/pass/honors grading system, and "honors" is only determined by earning a certain percentage of the class points (no class curve, class rank, etc.) it is a super friendly, cooperative environment. :)

Thank you so much for your response! That was very helpful!:)

Thanks so much!
Thanks! I had the same question :)

Anyone from the mid-november interview dates hear anything yet? Seems like the notifications stopped around early November.

Got the phone call this morning! Accepted! Interview early-ish November.

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed last week. Was so worried about the MMI's but was no problem. Was actually fun !!!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks. LM ~71 (high MCAT, low undergrad GPA, better postgrad GPA), non-trad, military experience.

This will probably identify me, but I want to share in case it helps someone else. I was complete 7/22 and then I never heard from the admissions office after that. I checked my spam folder obsessively, and I called the office a few times (three or four) between September and last week. Each time, a staff person told me my application was "pending review by the committee".

When I called last week, a different admissions staff person told me I was rejected back in September and I should have received an email. I asked why I was told (after September) that my application was still being considered, and she apologized and said their intent was not to mislead me, and she's not sure why I was told I was still under consideration.

SO...if you haven't heard back about your application yet, call and ask! And if you're told you're still being considered...ask, "really?"

Good luck everyone. This is the end of the road for me, as I'm not willing to ask my family to relocate. I'm arranging to get feedback on my application and I'll be re-applying next year. Hope to meet some of you then.

Has anyone that interviewed in early December heard back?

Interviewed TC first week of December. Have not heard back. Hoping they're still working through November

sorry if this has been asked before, but i have only started following this thread recently. but what is the turn around time on decisions here? interviewing next week

sorry if this has been asked before, but i have only started following this thread recently. but what is the turn around time on decisions here? interviewing next week
currently 10+ weeks

Thanks. LM ~71 (high MCAT, low undergrad GPA, better postgrad GPA), non-trad, military experience.

This will probably identify me, but I want to share in case it helps someone else. I was complete 7/22 and then I never heard from the admissions office after that. I checked my spam folder obsessively, and I called the office a few times (three or four) between September and last week. Each time, a staff person told me my application was "pending review by the committee".

When I called last week, a different admissions staff person told me I was rejected back in September and I should have received an email. I asked why I was told (after September) that my application was still being considered, and she apologized and said their intent was not to mislead me, and she's not sure why I was told I was still under consideration.

SO...if you haven't heard back about your application yet, call and ask! And if you're told you're still being considered...ask, "really?"

Good luck everyone. This is the end of the road for me, as I'm not willing to ask my family to relocate. I'm arranging to get feedback on my application and I'll be re-applying next year. Hope to meet some of you then.
I followed this advice and was told I was still being considered, then I got the rejection email the next day. The timing was uncanny.

Was told to expect a decision in 6-8 weeks; heard back in ~7 weeks.

66-67 Lizzy Score if i did the math right. got a non-science Master's degree post undergrad.

Does anyone know if interviews are continuing through March? Or should someone who hasn't received an II at this point consider themselves to be rejected?

Has anyone received information about scholarships or does anyone know if scholarships will be included in the financial aid package being mailed out in March?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else from the 12/6 interview still waiting to hear back?

Is anyone else from the 12/6 interview still waiting to hear back?
Hi Poinsonink,
I think they said we'd hear back around 8-10 weeks post interview around late March early April. Fingers crossed for good news! :)

Has anyone received information about scholarships or does anyone know if scholarships will be included in the financial aid package being mailed out in March?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was offered a scholarship about a week ago and I didn't complete my financial aid stuff yet. I interviewed in the beginning of November and I am an in-state applicant.

What is the longest anyone has been waiting to hear back after the interview?
It seems like no one has heard for a while. Is that right?

Accepted at Duluth. Interviewed in December.

Reactions: 3 users