2017-2018 Emory University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hats off to you sir for having to deal with this - I wish you the best of luck and I hope that any decent adcom will not think you're playing the victim card when you tell them what happened.
thank you and you too i see you have had two interviews! i just got my mcat score 2 days ago. very excited to be able to apply to schools like emory after working my ass for three months on the mcat. this is a top tier school for me tho unlike many of the people applying. i got a 514 but a 125 cars :( cGPA and sGPA of 3.92 as well (calc and stats i got Bs smh) im not sure if ill be able to complete the secondary before labor day as well.. maybe a few days after it. I had submitted my primary before my mcat came in. Hopefully my ECs and my own narrative will help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys been a long time lurker. Got my secondary from Emory yesterday. Bit of an issue. I am not using my committee Letter I had an issue where the interview was. well racist. So im not very comfortable to using the letter. I know this is a solid reason not to. However, I feel like I am using the victim card if i email my explanation. I still have the letter packet on AMCAS and what do you guys think about me saying I am willing to send it to Emory if they still would like it after my explanation as to why I am not sending it in the first place.

Have you brought up the issue with the committee? Not an adcom, but I feel it's a red flag not using it when you do have it

Have you brought up the issue with the committee? Not an adcom, but I feel it's a red flag not using it when you do have it
i dont really feel like it would be professional to bring that up with the committee. ive already reported it to the university. i trust the dean will take the correct actions from here. one of the issues is that they only meet you once. the interview. so i dont have any way to meet them all. it is a red flag for sure. i feel like i can use this to my advantage tho. im sure if i get an II (aahhh) and they do ask which is likely they will i will just mention this again and say that this was an important experience for me because it was the first time it shed light for me on the challenges that I face to success based on my race. im sure this is not the last time i will be directly discriminated against. and I am actually glad this happened because it gives me an experience that i had never had before. and i have recovered from it and moved on. again if they really want the committee letter ill send it. Im fairly confident it is a positive committee letter even with what happened. however, i just dont feel comfortable using it. i cant trust those people to be able to write about me objectively after what happened. and i want to be as transparent about the issue as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is Complete date? The day you sent out secondary?

It's the date when the medical school marks your application as complete - generally after your secondary is sent, fee is paid, and all letters have been received and associated with your account.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks. Then it is usually instant complete when you send your secondary, correct? You have to get all ready and pay your fees.

It really depends on the school. Emory is pretty quick with everything, so I think I was complete the day I submitted. Johns Hopkins takes a few weeks to process and add letters of recommendation to your profile, so I just became complete yesterday after submitting in early August. Other schools fall somewhere in between, but most process everything fairly quickly.

For those with IIs, did your portal status change from anything other than "your application is ready!"?

Reactions: 4 users
II! 3.75/517. Complete 7/13. My interview's this coming Monday (Sept 11), amidst the hurricane :nailbiting:

My portal status didn't change, still just says "Application is ready."

In the email, they say there are a two interviews, a 1:1 and a group interview, which is a panel (2 adcom members, 1 MS3 or 4) interviewing 3 applicants.

Has anyone been rejected yet?

II! 3.75/517. Complete 7/13. My interview's this coming Monday (Sept 11), amidst the hurricane :nailbiting:

In the email, they say there are a two interviews, a 1:1 and a group interview, which is a panel (2 adcom members, 1 MS3 or 4) interviewing 3 applicants.
So you got an interview today and scheduled for Monday? Sounds like they aren't very far along.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
So you got an interview today and scheduled for Monday? Sounds like they aren't very far along.

They put a footnote in my email that the reasoning behind the short notice was because there was a Hurricane-related cancellation and (since I'm close by) they penciled me in.

They put a footnote in my email that the reasoning behind the short notice was because there was a Hurricane-related cancellation and (since I'm close by) they penciled me in.

Same thing happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why won't this kind of thing happen to me?:(

Because more spots weren't opened up by cancellations by individuals who were impacted by Irma.

Can anyone who previously interviewed here give a couple of tips/run-down of the interview day? Are both interviews open file? Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi, did you end up interviewing today, despite the weather?

Nope. I'm an emory undergrad too, and the university was closed today and will be tomorrow as well. Not sure about when my interview will be yet.

:/ did they send out an email? Mine is this Friday and i haven't gotten an email about anything.

:/ did they send out an email? Mine is this Friday and i haven't gotten an email about anything.

You should be fine. The storms are pretty much over at this point.

Last edited:
You should be fine. Storms pretty much over at this point.

How's it going up there post storm? Our area in FL seems to be getting back to normal, but my home town is going to be devastated for a while.

How's it going up there post storm? Our area in FL seems to be getting back to normal, but my home town is going to be devastated for a while.

There's still some of the city out of power and some trees down but everything will be back and okay by tomorrow I think! We certainly didn't get the worst of it. Good look to everyone at your interviews! Feel free to pm if you need any info about getting around here!

So interviews set for this week are still good?

Went to Emory for undergrad. Garbage uGPA as I was dealing with a lot of life situations. Perfect post-bacc GPA and average Mcat... wondering if I have any chance of getting an II. It's been a month since I was complete.

Went to Emory for undergrad. Garbage uGPA as I was dealing with a lot of life situations. Perfect post-bacc GPA and average Mcat... wondering if I have any chance of getting an II. It's been a month since I was complete.

No idea - I'm feeling your pain! I have a trash GPA because of my freshman year. Perfect Post-bac. Above Average MCAT. I've been complete for well over a month and haven't heard a thing. I think they go through applications a bit slower than some of the schools I've been following and they extend invitations for a long time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while to hear back.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a rather ugly undergrad GPA (ups and downs the whole time), great post-bac grades and high MCAT and just got an II last week. Pulling for both of you and hoping you hear good news soon!

Does anyone know how much of a role research experience plays here? I know they get a ton of funding and are close to the CDC. I'm just curious as its by far the most significant part of my app and this is probably the highest ranked school I applied too (I always see the "better" schools like research more). I know its a required part of the curriculum if I remember correctly and I think I wrote about it in the secondary

Last edited:
I had a rather ugly undergrad GPA (ups and downs the whole time), great post-bac grades and high MCAT and just got an II last week. Pulling for both of you and hoping you hear good news soon!
Kinda related but unrelated but when it comes to 'hearing back' (especially from schools notoriously slow in giving a yes/no feedback) when, if ever, is it appropriate to call & ask how things are going with your 2° application?

Basically, if ≥5 weeks have passed since 2° submission when is it okay to call to see if your application is still being reviewed or flat-out denied?
I don't know which schools do 'silent rejections' and I'd honestly rather know if I've already been pre-II rejected from a school rather than waiting in limbo for months. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
Personally I wouldn't call to inquire because all schools are tremendously busy with reviewing applications, and the person you speak with probably doesn't have any more info to give you than what's on your portal. It's hard to wait in silence - we'd all rather know right away - but it's just the way the process is and you don't want to bug the admissions office.

Kinda related but unrelated but when it comes to 'hearing back' (especially from schools notoriously slow in giving a yes/no feedback) when, if ever, is it appropriate to call & ask how things are going with your 2° application?

Basically, if ≥5 weeks have passed since 2° submission when is it okay to call to see if your application is still being reviewed or flat-out denied?
I don't know which schools do 'silent rejections' and I'd honestly rather know if I've already been pre-II rejected from a school rather than waiting in limbo for months. Any thoughts?
As frustrating as it is, Emory's complete email literally says:
"THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT CHANGE DURING THE INTERVIEW SEASON (mid-September through late February). Please do not contact the Office of Admissions to check on your status."

And I think some other schools have had similar statements. They have your app and if you haven't been rejected that usually still means you're in the running, so from what I've seen the general consensus is that it is not a good idea to call and inquire. Someone in the Hopkins thread gave a great timeline of the extreme lengths of time between submission, complete email, interview, and acceptance, which has put me a bit more at ease. Maybe during the cycle you'll have an update of some kind that you can send and kind of bump your application? I'm hoping to have a pub or two to send some places but idk :rolleyes: I understand the pain but also consider that it's early, and just because you haven't heard yet doesn't mean you're rejected :)

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone received a II within the last few weeks, I'm curious as to what dates/months are still available for interviews? Thanks!

For those who have interviewed already, what is the panel interview like??

II! Complete 7/17
Dates available for me were the first three weeks of Nov, various Mondays and Fridays.

II! Complete 7/17
Dates available for me were the first three weeks of Nov, various Mondays and Fridays.

Congrats!!

I sent an ITA update as I'll be up there the first Friday in November. C'mon Emory, give me some love!