2017-2018 Emory University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my *estimate* for Primaries + secondaries. I need to apply to about 30 since my GPA <<< MCAT. I figure 30 * $40 is 1200 for primaries. And about $100 for each secondary ($3000). It's a very rough calculation. But it's amazing how quickly it all ADDS UP. I'm trying to drag it out over a couple credit card bills so my tutoring money can cover them each month.

I did the math for my school list: for the 29 schools I'm applying to, primaries + secondaries = $4049

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, what are your stats? My gpa is also < my mcat and I'm not applying to that many schools but maybe I should be

3.4 cGPA and 522 MCAT. It's not as huge a discrepancy as it could be, but it is going to get a little interesting. All but my freshman year is >3.5 and my post-bac is 4.0, but my cGPA is still pretty low. My other "issue" is that I'm a Florida resident and we have a ton of schools here, and those add up in cost (and they each have the most ridiculously long essays). Then I threw in a few extra "reach" schools with the whole, "oh, you never know!" mentality.

I actually had to nix a few of my favorite options as my husband's company didn't have offices in the area. That was initially helpful, but then ended up being more detrimental as I would throw in an extra three to four schools for every one I nixed. Why aren't there more schools in the south?

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, what are your stats? My gpa is also < my mcat and I'm not applying to that many schools but maybe I should be

Also, I'd love to see your list. Although I'm seeing a ton of overlap between my list and others - the main difference is that I had to nix places like Tulane. And I'm applying to just about every medical school in Philly, Chicago, and NYC (locations where I humorously don't necessarily want to live, but they are close to an office and I can survive four years anywhere).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email via Med MAR encouraging me to apply. Not sure what to make of it...

Just received an email via Med MAR encouraging me to apply. Not sure what to make of it...
Exactly what I was debating. Ended up really loving the curriculum so I applied, why not!

So I am submitting 3 individual letters despite my school having pre med committee. Is the fact that I have been graduated for a year a good enough explanation as to why I am not using this committee?

So I am submitting 3 individual letters despite my school having pre med committee. Is the fact that I have been graduated for a year a good enough explanation as to why I am not using this committee?

Honestly, it's not a solid reason, but you could try to use it. I say this because I'm 15 years out and my committee is still sending me a packet. Is there a specific reason you are not using the committee? I know someone who has a VERY good reason not to use the committee, but that person has to pretty much not apply to any school requiring a committee letter. After reading the FAQs, it sounds like they are not super strict on the requirement - but they do want to know why you aren't using the committee and you'll have to come up with a good reason why. Is part of it because you missed the deadline? Don't meet some requirements? Are in the middle of a feud with the committee head? Or the committee is on vacation and you want to get the letters in on time? Or is it because you've been out for a full year and you aren't using the health advisors at your school for any advising? That might actually be a sufficient answer if you wish to go that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the thought out response. I will consider what to tell them.
Honestly, it's not a solid reason, but you could try to use it. I say this because I'm 15 years out and my committee is still sending me a packet. Is there a specific reason you are not using the committee? I know someone who has a VERY good reason not to use the committee, but that person has to pretty much not apply to any school requiring a committee letter. After reading the FAQs, it sounds like they are not super strict on the requirement - but they do want to know why you aren't using the committee and you'll have to come up with a good reason why. Is part of it because you missed the deadline? Don't meet some requirements? Are in the middle of a feud with the committee head? Or the committee is on vacation and you want to get the letters in on time? Or is it because you've been out for a full year and you aren't using the health advisors at your school for any advising? That might actually be a sufficient answer if you wish to go that way.
anks

Do we have to email them stating that our school doesn't have a committee?

Do we have to email them stating that our school doesn't have a committee?

No - you only need to give them a reason why you are not using the committee if your school has one. If your school doesn't have a committee, no explanation necessary.

No - you only need to give them a reason why you are not using the committee if your school has one. If your school doesn't have a committee, no explanation necessary.

Yeah I knew that part. I figure they just have a list of schools that do not have committees.

Yeah I knew that part. I figure they just have a list of schools that do not have committees.

Yeah - I was wondering about that. Do you think they know if someone's undergraduate has a committee? Obviously they would know if it's a big name school, but what about somewhere really small? If it's an unknown school, I really wouldn't worry about it unless they ask.

Yeah - I was wondering about that. Do you think they know if someone's undergraduate has a committee? Obviously they would know if it's a big name school, but what about somewhere really small? If it's an unknown school, I really wouldn't worry about it unless they ask.

It would make sense for schools to have a generated list of institutions that sent out committee letters through AMCAS. Maybe they have a system that red flags applicants who didn't sent a committee letter where other applicants from the same institution did send one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would make sense for schools to have a generated list of institutions that sent out committee letters through AMCAS. Maybe they have a system that red flags applicants who didn't sent a committee letter where other applicants from the same institution did send one.

I'd be interested to hear from students who have applied without the committee letter and see if they had any flack from medical schools or if it was really just a preference the schools were stating and they never really follow up.

I suppose some schools might want the committee letter because they may wonder *why* the student doesn't have a committee letter. Some schools require certain MCAT Scores or GPAs. My school definitely doesn't, but they do have specific deadlines that you must meet.

Continuing on the committee letter topic, this is the first year in that my school has not had a committee - I would assume my undergrad would notify medical schools of this...but do you think I should send an email clarifying the situation?

Continuing on the committee letter topic, this is the first year in that my school has not had a committee - I would assume my undergrad would notify medical schools of this...but do you think I should send an email clarifying the situation?

In your case you could call and find out. Most people in the admissions office are really nice and helpful on matters like this!

So any update on how strict Emory is with pre-reqs... I just think it could be a good fit, but I am missing 1

So any update on how strict Emory is with pre-reqs... I just think it could be a good fit, but I am missing 1
depends which prereq, they are very flexible with what qualifies as a humanity, but I think pretty strict on the others

I am wondering if I should spend $ to submit my secobdary here. I have a 3.66 cgpa, 3.58 science. 516 MCAT

Good EC's, extensive leadership.

What u think?

I am wondering if I should spend $ to submit my secobdary here. I have a 3.66 cgpa, 3.58 science. 516 MCAT

What u think?

Seems like an appropriate application

Reactions: 2 users

What u think?

3.58 could be killer tbh

Your both of your GPAs are > 25th percentile and your MCAT is ~60th percentile at Emory, looking at MSAR. Absolutely worth a shot, assuming other aspects of your app are solid

If I am applying only to the MD program, do I need to answer the questions "Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine" and "Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine"

If I am applying only to the MD program, do I need to answer the questions "Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine" and "Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine"
I think only if you had checked that you were interested in those programs. I did just MD and didn't answer those questions

Done. Phew.

They say minimum 500 with atleast 123 in each.
I have high GPA > 3.9 but with relatively low MCAT 508 (124 in one section). Is it worth applying here
I am at 10th percentile in MCAT and OOS. Any Chances?

Been over 5 business days and they only received one of my letters from AMCAS. Think I should call?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question - when it asks for "entire curriculum plan," does that mean they only want us to list courses? What about activities? I ask because the word curriculum is specifically used, so I'm not sure...

Question - when it asks for "entire curriculum plan," does that mean they only want us to list courses? What about activities? I ask because the word curriculum is specifically used, so I'm not sure...

I would include any activities that shed a positive light on you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That would be extracurricular. Curriculum is your coursework.

You should list every single detail about your life, down to when you plan to feed your dog every day and whether your cat likes to watch you take showers...etc :3

Any ideas when interviews are going to start? Anybody's secondary been reviewed yet?

Any ideas when interviews are going to start? Anybody's secondary been reviewed yet?
MSAR says that interview invitations start this month, but no specific day. In terms of secondaries being reviewed, they send you an email once your file is complete but they don't change your status to let you know if you've been reviewed. Once you're marked complete, you'll get an email for an interview or a rejection later in the cycle.

Edit: the interview email doesn't come immediately after the "your file is complete" email; I just mean you won't hear anything else until you get an interview or rejection.

From combing through previous years threads, looks like mid to late August invites start going out and interview start in September

My AMCAS was verified (with Emory on the school list) in mid-July. My MCAT score (above the screening threshold) came in on Tuesday, but I haven't gotten the secondary yet. Has anyone else had a delay in getting the secondary? Wondering how long I should give it before contacting admissions.

Submitted today! Backlogged by all the other essays I've been working on, so was relieved to see the relatively short and kind of fun essay prompts for this one!

Does the 2 week secondary submission deadline still apply from the date we received our secondary email? I'm RD, but the only deadline I see in the email is December 1..is it just expected to submit within 2 weeks or frowned upon if I don't?

I took three weeks (I was taking a class and working, so it was next to impossible to complete before then). I will let you know if they pass me over in the mean time. It sounds like it's best to submit quickly, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Does the 2 week secondary submission deadline still apply from the date we received our secondary email? I'm RD, but the only deadline I see in the email is December 1..is it just expected to submit within 2 weeks or frowned upon if I don't?

Don't know where you got the 2 week deadline from, but the only deadline Emory has is Dec 1 for MD. They strongly encourage early submissions.

Also, the majority of schools don't have required turnaround for secondaries and if they do, it is explicitly stated.

Their photo requirement sounds intimidating.

Last edited:
Question for MD/PhD applicants. So on the application there is a portion which asks for your research experiences. This section has a 2000 word limit and asks for a "detailed description" of your role in the projects you participated in. When filling out this section, did you guys also give a background of the project along with hypothesis and results. Or did you answer it in terms of purely exactly what you did in terms of experiments and techniques.

Hey guys! What're your thoughts on listing a girlfriend as a 'family member' for the Personal Information section of the 2°?
Has anyone in your family (NOT including yourself) ever attended, worked for, or been affiliated with Emory School of Medicine, Emory University or Emory Healthcare? Please list their name, relationship to you, and affiliation to Emory.
My girlfriend of about a year now will be attending Emory's Law school in two weeks. I was wondering if it would bring any 'cool/clout points' to my application or whether I shouldn't bother, say no, and move on.
Thoughts :)?

Hey guys! What're your thoughts on listing a girlfriend as a 'family member' for the Personal Information section of the 2°?
Has anyone in your family (NOT including yourself) ever attended, worked for, or been affiliated with Emory School of Medicine, Emory University or Emory Healthcare? Please list their name, relationship to you, and affiliation to Emory.
My girlfriend of about a year now will be attending Emory's Law school in two weeks. I was wondering if it would bring any 'cool/clout points' to my application or whether I shouldn't bother, say no, and move on.
Thoughts :)?

Should've put a ring on it

Reactions: 12 users
Should've put a ring on it

Low key maybe you should ask her to marry you right now and then answer the secondary tomorrow and say my fiancée is going to Emory Law and that'll probably count as family.

Reactions: 8 users