2017-2018 Emory University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get the feeling that Emory has a sort of ranking system and is slowly sending IIs based on that. I really want to stay in this region and am hoping for an II, but doubting I’ll hear from them any time soon. Congrats to all who got IIs last night - what an awesome surprise!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Do I have any chance if I submitted in early September?

Technically? yes!
Though, technically, you still have a chance if you submitted on the last day!

Realistically? Your odds aren't as good as if you had submitted earlier, but if you are a strong candidate you can still get an interview.

Even more realistically? I have next to no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just regurgitating information I've been told when asking similar questions.

Hope this helps 🙂
 
Thanks for everyone's replies! I was also wondering if anybody knows if they've accepted Canadians before. Would love to come down there and experience Atlanta 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else waiting for the last MD/PhD interview wave?
Does anyone know if they send out rejections to the MD/PhD program during the cycle?
Any MD/PhD applicants already accepted? (If yes, congrats!!)
 
Last edited:
For anyone that's sent in updates, how do you know it went through or was accepted in the portal? I noticed that the text/what I typed from my last update is still showing up in the portal (almost as if it didn't go through) but it does state "last update entered _____". Is this how it shows up for you all?
 
For anyone that's sent in updates, how do you know it went through or was accepted in the portal? I noticed that the text/what I typed from my last update is still showing up in the portal (almost as if it didn't go through) but it does state "last update entered _____". Is this how it shows up for you all?

When I added a new update I put dashes lines in between updates, not sure if that's the correct way but yes it does show the old one and when I saved the new one that "last update entered" refreshed to the more recent one
 
When I added a new update I put dashes lines in between updates, not sure if that's the correct way but yes it does show the old one and when I saved the new one that "last update entered" refreshed to the more recent one
Damn, you're fast with the response! But thanks so much, that is exactly what I was looking for.
 
Silent rejection, or is rejection on its way? I've been complete since July. Hmmm
From the complete email:

"
NO COMPLETED APPLICANT IS REJECTED DURING THE INTERVIEW SEASON.

THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT CHANGE DURING THE INTERVIEW SEASON (mid-September through late February). Please do not contact the Office of Admissions to check on your status.

Invitations to interview are offered up until late February."

I must admit I'm getting a bit frustrated too. Strong ties, Georgia resident, complete since July... however a couple of July-completers got interviews in the last week, so there's still hope. And there's especially still hope if they're extending IIs until February. Chin up 🙂
 
Does anyone by any chance have the mcat stats from the msar last year, i know 514 was the median but what were the 75th or 90th (cant remember what msar lists) unfortunately msar is down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People still care about MCAT? Honestly, if you are above 507-8, you are fine. All depends on your ECs, essays (for interview invite) and interviews that will determine your admission.


Lol ok, I think the statistics speak for themselves that's not to say you will be get in with just a good GPA and MCAT, but the higher your stats the less impressive your ECs can potentially be.
rate.png
 
Does anyone know if the interview process for the MD/MPH is different than the one for just regular MD?
 
I have an upcoming interview and am worried about the group interview format as I've heard mixed things. @ anyone who has already interviewed, can I send a private message to you?
 
I have an upcoming interview and am worried about the group interview format as I've heard mixed things. @ anyone who has already interviewed, can I send a private message to you?
Yeah go ahead! Im curious to see what youve heard from others, i didnt like it very much, but pm me for details.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile
 
I have an upcoming interview and am worried about the group interview format as I've heard mixed things. @ anyone who has already interviewed, can I send a private message to you?

I recently interviewed here. The group interview was fine, and I left feeling pretty neutral. My two fellow interviewees spoke a lot compared to myself. I tried keeping my responses descriptive but to the point, since it is only a 30-45 minute interview with 3 interviewers asking 3 people questions. It was pretty casual. Honestly I did not really feel like they could have gotten to know much about me as a person through this interview format, but alas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those accepted does the portal update the day after decisions? So for the decisions coming out this Friday, we can expect a portal update on Saturday the 23rd, cause I dont think the mail will come until the 26th at the earliest given that the 24th is sunday and monday is Christmas.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile
 
For those accepted does the portal update the day after decisions? So for the decisions coming out this Friday, we can expect a portal update on Saturday the 23rd, cause I dont think the mail will come until the 26th at the earliest given that the 24th is sunday and monday is Christmas.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

If I understood the admissions team correctly, we will not receive any decision information on the portal. Snail mail is the only way Emory notifies us.
 
If I understood the admissions team correctly, we will not receive any decision information on the portal. Snail mail is the only way Emory notifies us.
Yes good point that is what they told us but earlier in this thread and from last year's thread several people saw changes on their portal. I just wanted to confirm.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile
 
For those accepted does the portal update the day after decisions? So for the decisions coming out this Friday, we can expect a portal update on Saturday the 23rd, cause I dont think the mail will come until the 26th at the earliest given that the 24th is sunday and monday is Christmas.

Previously, the day after acceptances were mailed has been a weekday, so I wouldn't say that precedent applies to the 23rd, it being a Saturday. So don't despair if you don't get a portal update on Saturday. Enjoy the holiday, you interviewed at Emory which means you're going to land in medical school somewhere.