You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Florida State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I posted mine because they asked, and I remember my scores, so why not.
Because they are weird and some schools don't require MCAT. Ignore it unless you did very well on them.My thoughts as well...I just wonder why they include that in the first place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice! I submitted my secondary the same day so hopefully I'll get the e-mail soon!Just got an email saying my file is complete and under review by admissions. I submitted my secondary on 7/13.
H
hopingforawin
any current students: whats the lowest mcat you've heard fsu accept?
any current students: whats the lowest mcat you've heard fsu accept?
I think I've heard of a 23-24 sneaking in several years ago, but I think they went through the Bridge program.
Dr Janitor is right. I've heard actually a couple of 23-24's coming in. In case anyone is curious, that would convert to about a 495-498. But, I think there were extenuating circumstances.
Extenuating circumstances as in you mean the bridge program? Or directly into the med school?Dr Janitor is right. I've heard actually a couple of 23-24's coming in. In case anyone is curious, that would convert to about a 495-498. But, I think there were extenuating circumstances.
Extenuating circumstances as in you mean the bridge program? Or directly into the med school?
I'm pretty sure that's not what he was getting at by "extenuating circumstances". Usually that means the person had a significant uphill battle throughout their life/college/getting into med school or had a stellar app in all other aspects.
Thank you for the clarification 🙂I'm pretty sure that's not what he was getting at by "extenuating circumstances". Usually that means the person had a significant uphill battle throughout their life/college/getting into med school or had a stellar app in all other aspects.
Agree with my learned colleagueI'm pretty sure that's not what he was getting at by "extenuating circumstances". Usually that means the person had a significant uphill battle throughout their life/college/getting into med school or had a stellar app in all other aspects.
Edit
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't imagine that they would mind in a situation like that.For the part on the secondary about my parents, do they mind if we don't feel comfortable talking about one of our parents? My dad left me at a very young age and I don't know any traits to describe him by.
Any advice for reapplicants, other than better MCAT score... I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Just looking for specific advice if FSU likes to see/hear certain things the second time around if I was to get another interview this year. Thanks!M3 here, willing to answer any questions.
What are you all writing for significant travel experience? Do family vacations or weekend trips count or are they asking for more study abroad type of travel?
I wrote about all the community service trips Ive been on. All foreign countries all pretty brutal as far as my living conditions etc. FSU apparently really likes community service, particularly in like rural undeserved areas. But if you dont have that. Then I would sure talk about family vacations, especially if you went to a place with some poverty like Mexico or Dominican Republic.
What are you all writing for significant travel experience? Do family vacations or weekend trips count or are they asking for more study abroad type of travel?
If I remember correctly, I wrote about trips I took with my family and why they were meaningful to me.
Did you ask them what you could do differently? A lot of times, correspondence with your interviewer and asking them what you think you could do better is something I've heard be helpful.Any advice for reapplicants, other than better MCAT score... I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Just looking for specific advice if FSU likes to see/hear certain things the second time around if I was to get another interview this year. Thanks!
Are you retaking the MCAT?
Yes, I am retaking MCAT. I asked for feedback from the admissions office and I received general feedback. i.e. improve MCAT score, but not much else. There was nothing specific that I was given about my interview. I didn't know we were allowed to contact the interviewers directly. Is that a thing people do?Did you ask them what you could do differently? A lot of times, correspondence with your interviewer and asking them what you think you could do better is something I've heard be helpful.
Are you retaking the MCAT?
I don't know honestly.
For those who completed the secondary, question 4. Do they want the answer in essay form or list?
I'm sure either work. Just answer the questions.
Hey all, M1 here that's willing to answer any questions 🙂
Thanks for the help! Would you mind giving us a brief review/opinion of your experience so far? What can we expect as potential M1s?Hey all, M1 here that's willing to answer any questions 🙂
Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
No problem! M1 at FSU is different because we do a semester in the summer. So we just finished anatomy, embryology, and histology (as well as clinical skills). Personally, I much preferred this system. These pure subjects aren't as heavily tested on the boards, so it frees up time throughout the year. Also, you know your classmates during White Coat at the end of summer which makes it more meaningful. Overall, I am very happy. The faculty at FSU are primarily concerned with the wellbeing of us students. The program is also very geared towards patient-centered care.Thanks for the help! Would you mind giving us a brief review/opinion of your experience so far? What can we expect as potential M1s?
Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Thanks anyways! This process is so tricky!I don't know honestly.
In general, does FSU COM like reapplicants that were waitlisted? Do they look upon them favorably? Is there any hope at all lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As with most schools, they will most likely see how much you have grown since your last application. That said, I'm not sure if you can say they will look favorably or unfavorably toward a re-applicant. If you were offered an interview, maybe you can work on your interviewing skills and make sure your professional goals align with the goals held by FSU.Thanks anyways! This process is so tricky!
In general, does FSU COM like reapplicants that were waitlisted? Do they look upon them favorably? Is there any hope at all lol
So No II's yet I guess?
So No II's yet I guess?
Don't think so :\ FL schools have been pretty quiet overall
Do they send complete emails? Letters still not showing up on the portal
They do send complete e-mails, but it takes a while. I actually e-mailed admissions to follow up on mine and then I got one shortly after.Do they send complete emails? Letters still not showing up on the portal
They do send complete e-mails, but it takes a while. I actually e-mailed admissions to follow up on mine and then I got one shortly after.
I also got one, about 1 week after submitting
Hey Dr. Janitor, I was just wondering what you think a competitive USF Master's program's GPA would be for FSUCOM.
I'm a re applicant who was waitlisted last cycle but just finished the USF program with a 3.6 GPA.
I should also mention that I had a 3.2 undergrad gpa and a 502 on my most recent mcat. (The MCAT is not my one of my strengths)
Im studying to retake the MCAT Sep. 1st but am a little concerned if I do worse on this next one, particularly since I'm on a shorter time crunch. I'd appreciate any feed back!
Thanks for the help! Would you mind giving us a brief review/opinion of your experience so far? What can we expect as potential M1s?
Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
I definitely agree with RockyVinyl! I know every school will tell you this, but there is so much more of a community feeling at FSUCOM and they designed it this way purposely. From day 1, we all get assigned to a learning center (basically a giant living space with study rooms/kitchen/restrooms/etc.). Everyone gets to know each other super quickly because we are all around each other so much more than a typical medical school. I think the true pass/fail curriculum also fosters a much friendlier/less competitive atmosphere. Almost everyone is willing to share resources and help out other students if they are struggling. The summer was challenging in terms of the amount of information covered in such a short period of time, but at the same time it was so much fun. The faculty are beyond awesome and are some of the most supportive people you'll meet.
Is there a status that comes after secondary received? Or the secondary received means that it is complete?
I've had an 'application under review by office' status since the day I got a complete email
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know someone who got in with 496 through the Bridge program! Be hopeful!!!Dr Janitor is right. I've heard actually a couple of 23-24's coming in. In case anyone is curious, that would convert to about a 495-498. But, I think there were extenuating circumstances.
Bridge program is a different story all together, though. Don't bank on bridge.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bridge program is a different story all together, though. Don't bank on bridge.
What do you mean "different story"?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you mean "different story"?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't directly apply to the bridge program. FSUCOM selects a few students who apply through the normal AMCAS application. The bridge program is also mainly reserved for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
oh ok. Thanks for the clarificationYou can't directly apply to the bridge program. FSUCOM selects a few students who apply through the normal AMCAS application. The bridge program is also mainly reserved for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
You can't directly apply to the bridge program. FSUCOM selects a few students who apply through the normal AMCAS application. The bridge program is also mainly reserved for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Forgot to ask, do you know IF selected to the bridge program do people automatically get a spot for the med school after they finish or do they have to apply and go thru the primary and secondary process?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgot to ask, do you know IF selected to the bridge program do people automatically get a spot for the med school after they finish or do they have to apply and go thru the primary and secondary process?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are guaranteed a spot as long as you pass every class with a B or better. The bridge program is a year long and you get a MS in Biomedical Sciences when completed.
Heres all the details in case you have any more questions about it. Advising Outreach - Master's Bridge Program - FSU College of Medicine