2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never mind, I just found them. So it looks like orientation week starts on the 16th, and goes all the way to the 27th, which is two weeks. The following Monday, the 30th, is when classes actually start.

My exams are on the 23rd, and the 25th, so it's during that second week of orientation. So I guess it wouldn't be too bad to take my exams then, right? Will we have any studying or anything else to do during those first two weeks that I could potentially fall behind on if I was studying for my two finals?

Members don't see this ad.

@shur711 You shouldn't have any studying until the actual first day of school unless they changed things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know its been asked before but any updates on how long summer break will be in the future?

Anyone know when in late April we will find out Financial Aid info? Last thing to do on my checklist and looking forward to knocking it off.

The email said Wednesday in late April, so likely starting on the 25th?

Another question for current students/those familiar with the area: as far as the weather is concerned, should I be looking at getting winter tires or would all season tires be fine?

All season tires are fine. The few days we have ice/snow aren't worth the extra expense. Pretty much no one here gets winter tires.
Source: Lived here for 25+ years.

Hey guys. Do current students have suggestions for houses/apartments really close to the school - like walking to and from school? I don't plan on bringing a car over when I move. Is this feasible?

Hey guys. Do current students have suggestions for houses/apartments really close to the school - like walking to and from school? I don't plan on bringing a car over when I move. Is this feasible?

The weather here sucks. You probably want a car for that reason alone. Also we have a very poor public transportation system in Joplin, so it will be hard to get around without one.

Decided to decline my acceptance offer today. It was a very difficult decision, but I felt like I would be happier closer to home. I hope my seat goes to one of you. Best of luck!

Decided to decline my acceptance offer today. It was a very difficult decision, but I felt like I would be happier closer to home. I hope my seat goes to one of you. Best of luck!
NO! What am I going to do without my PuddinCat? Hope you love where you're going and good luck next year!

Reactions: 2 users
@DrRedstone Just out of curiosity, what happens during the two-week orientation? I am just so confused as to why it is so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
@DrRedstone Just out of curiosity, what happens during the two-week orientation? I am just so confused as to why it is so long.
@Magus5454 is right, we didn't have the med 101 course. I'm betting it will be good as an introduction since medical school studying is so different from anything else you've ever done. Maybe it will give you a leg up on us. You guys also get to have us as your lovely Anatomy Tutors as well as Anatomy Fellows to help out in lab. I'm jealous of how much better you'll have it :p

Anyone find their wording kind of harsh? "Any student who is not present by 8 a.m. Monday will risk losing his or her seat in the Class of 2022." and in their email said something like failure to submit will result in forfeiture of seat...

I noticed that but my assumption for the reasoning is that something happened before so they have to state it clearly like that, no matter how harsh

Have any accepted students gotten access to a student portal and/or KCU email yet?

Do most 1st year students on the Joplin campus live with roommates or alone? With roommates, I feel like I'll always have a study buddy around and have them as company. But I feel like I want that independence of living alone. Any thoughts?

Do most 1st year students on the Joplin campus live with roommates or alone? With roommates, I feel like I'll always have a study buddy around and have them as company. But I feel like I want that independence of living alone. Any thoughts?

Im going to live alone for year 1 until I know who I like, maybe even year 2. Having your own place is nice.

The vast majority of 1st year students I've spoken to have recommended a roommate; however, this is a very personal decision lol. Have you had roommates in the past?

The vast majority of 1st year students I've spoken to have recommended a roommate; however, this is a very personal decision lol. Have you had roommates in the past?

No I've never had roommates before, so I'm not used to that experience. My heart is telling me to live alone lol But I also know that living with roommates can save money, so definitely a big decision to make! Thanks for your insight!

I personally hate living alone. But that's me

Just removed myself from the wait list. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting!

Do any current students live in Rustic ridge and can tell me what it's like? thank you.

Hey are there any Canadian 1st years here that I can ask some questions to? I've asked someone on COMSA already, I'm just wondering if there are any others that I can ask some questions to. Please let me know!

Is the incoming class getting the standard iPad like they did last year? I'm debating if I should buy the iPad pro and stylus instead since it is very handy for taking digital notes.

Does anyone know how much dedicated time we get for studying for boards?

Is the incoming class getting the standard iPad like they did last year? I'm debating if I should buy the iPad pro and stylus instead since it is very handy for taking digital notes.
The newest Ipad is actually Apple Pencil compatible but idk if we get this or not.

Hello everyone! Any international students ( non-Canadian) out here who have already acquired a private loan? I'm currently in the process of getting one and would like to get some insight. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@DrRedstone Just curious, are there any small part time jobs available through KCU to earn some extra money if my schedule allows? I was thinking something along the lines of working in the library or a front desk job.

@DrRedstone Just curious, are there any small part time jobs available through KCU to earn some extra money if my schedule allows? I was thinking something along the lines of working in the library or a front desk job.
There are. I know of tutoring, student services aid, and lecture recording aid. There might be more.

Does any one have any thoughts on deciding between WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?

No, I'm out of state for both schools but even then the tuition for both schools is very close in price.
Well if you had been IS at WV it would be a no brainer

Does any one have any thoughts on deciding between WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?
I personally declined my interview at WVSOM as KCU is much closer to home

Exciting news for incoming and current KCU students!
Student services has almost completed negotiations with BCBS to offer insurance to the students here. From what I heard, it will be less than $3,000 a year for an individual and the coverage is pretty great. I guess coverage will start August 1st if my source is correct. Keep an eye on your email for more information in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users

One of the things I wish I did, that some of my classmates did, was take the iPad they gave us and upgrade to the new iPad so I could have the Apple pen compatibility. One of my regrets. :)

Does anyone know how much dedicated time we get for studying for boards?

They're changing the schedules this year, so I don't think we know how much you'll get.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! So I was looking online and I notice that Joplin doesn't have any major bank branches! Such as Bank of America, SunTrust, PNC, TD, etc.

What banks do you guys use?

Hey guys! So I was looking online and I notice that Joplin doesn't have any major bank branches! Such as Bank of America, SunTrust, PNC, TD, etc.

it has a US bank

Theres a BoA over in Springfield. I very rarely have to visit a physical branch so I'm staying with them

Is that a big bank? I've never heard of it before. We don't have them here in Florida.
Sup fellow Floridian. It kinda is. We have one in Cleveland ohio. You can always open an account with them and put a couple hundred in at a time for when you need cash and use your regular one for everything else

Awesome, thanks for the info.

On another note, does anyone know if we'll have access to the same rotation spots as the KC campus? I'm interested in coming back to FL for my 3rd and 4th year to do rotations and I'm wondering if this is possible. Would I be able to ask the administration to allow me to do this?

Awesome, thanks for the info.

On another note, does anyone know if we'll have access to the same rotation spots as the KC campus? I'm interested in coming back to FL for my 3rd and 4th year to do rotations and I'm wondering if this is possible. Would I be able to ask the administration to allow me to do this?

Negative. At least according to this info:

http://www.kcumb.edu/programs/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites

What’s this I keep hearing about Joplin having better clerkship options than KC? If someone doesn’t mind elaborating on that, it would be much appreciated. The list above doesn’t seem suggest that, although the Joplin sites seem to be have the most GME.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Negative. At least according to this info:
http://www.kcumb.edu/programs/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites
What’s this I keep hearing about Joplin having better clerkship options than KC? If someone doesn’t mind elaborating on that, it would be much appreciated. The list above doesn’t seem suggest that, although the Joplin sites seem to be have the most GME.

Joplin sites will have a higher concentration of KCU students and they are more invested in KCU in general. Freeman and Mercy both donated large sums to the creation of the school in Joplin. Mostly, you won't have to compete with KUMC or UMKC for rotation spots.