2017-2018 Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?
Note: 2,000 character limit per essay question.

How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community. Note: 2,000 character limit per essay question.

Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked Clinical/Regional Campus.*

What are your plans for the current year - June 2017 until June 2018?*

All questions are required

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lucca @gyngyn

What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?

How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community. Note: 2,000 character limit per essay question.

Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked Clinical/Regional Campus.*

What are your plans for the current year - June 2017 until June 2018?*

All questions are required

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the main differences between the 3 clinical campuses and which is usually considered the best first choice for students?

Anyone know the main differences between the 3 clinical campuses and which is usually considered the best first choice for students?
Although I'd prefer the Philly location, my hometown is near the regional campus so I'm going to put that as my first preference because a lot of my clinical experience is from that hospital and I have some strong ties there.

Is anyone actually going to upload their SAT or ACT scores? I don't even know how to access those at this point.

Does anyone know the maximum number of letters of reference for Temple?

Last edited:
According to their diversity statement, they "concentrate [their] recruitment and retention efforts on students, residents, and faculty who identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/ Latino, and/or educationally and economically disadvantaged, while also being intentional in [their] efforts to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for women and LGBT students, residents, faculty, and staff."

As a white, middle-class male, should I even bother submitting the secondary? I didn't realize when I applied that they focused so heavily on admitting minorities (I think it's great, but it doesn't seem like I'm what they're looking for). Am I overthinking this?

Is anyone actually going to upload their SAT or ACT scores? I don't even know how to access those at this point.

I rocked the SAT and ACT, so I put them down. It's self-reported, so you don't have to officially send them or anything. I took the exams 10 years ago and obviously didn't remember my login info, so I called both and they were helpful with getting me set back up.

According to their diversity statement, they "concentrate [their] recruitment and retention efforts on students, residents, and faculty who identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/ Latino, and/or educationally and economically disadvantaged, while also being intentional in [their] efforts to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for women and LGBT students, residents, faculty, and staff."

As a white, middle-class male, should I even bother submitting the secondary? I didn't realize when I applied that they focused so heavily on admitting minorities (I think it's great, but it doesn't seem like I'm what they're looking for). Am I overthinking this?

I noticed this too.. I got curious and checked MSAR, over half of the first-year matriculated class of 2016 was white. So wouldn't worry!

Secondary submitted yesterday! Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have good ideas what to write about top choice for the clinical campus?

So does anyone know the difference between the different clinical campuses outside of their locations? I really don't have a preference for any of them since I don't know anything about them (and the websites are pretty generic)

"Applicants who have not completed the premedical requirements at the time of application will be placed on hold until receipt of transcripts indicating successful completion of prerequisites."

I really wanted to apply to Temple, but it seems that I wouldn't even be considered until January at the earliest because of this policy, which in my opinion is kind of outrageous. They won't consider your completed application because you're finishing up one prerequisite in the Fall? Just wanted to warn others who might be applying here with one or more prereqs to complete this coming school year.

Anyone think it is still worth applying, or should I just save the $120+ on another school?

"Applicants who have not completed the premedical requirements at the time of application will be placed on hold until receipt of transcripts indicating successful completion of prerequisites."

I really wanted to apply to Temple, but it seems that I wouldn't even be considered until January at the earliest because of this policy, which in my opinion is kind of outrageous. They won't consider your completed application because you're finishing up one prerequisite in the Fall? Just wanted to warn others who might be applying here with one or more prereqs to complete this coming school year.

Anyone think it is still worth applying, or should I just save the $120+ on another school?
Woah, I had no idea of this and already submitted my secondary. This would be such a weird policy-- no other school does this. Where did you get that info from?

Well, just saw it on their website. I already applied, so I guess that's > $100 down the drain considering I have a pre-req I'm planning on taking in the spring semester.

I sent them an email just asking if they could clarify this policy because honestly, it's so weird that I wouldn't have even thought to look into it before sending in my application.

Last edited:
Well, just saw it on their website. I already applied, so I guess that's > $100 down the drain considering I have a pre-req I'm planning on taking in the spring semester.

I sent them an email just asking if they could clarify this policy because honestly, it's so weird that I wouldn't have even thought to look into it before sending in my application.

I was hoping someone who has gone through the process of applying to Temple might be able to clarify our questions. This policy, if strict, would make it impossible for a sizeable portion of applicants to get considered for the program. Is this their sick way of cutting the applications they have to review? Lol

I was hoping someone who has gone through the process of applying to Temple might be able to clarify our questions. This policy, if strict, would make it impossible for a sizeable portion of applicants to get considered for the program. Is this their sick way of cutting the applications they have to review? Lol
Yeah...if they are strict with this policy they're definitely eliminating like half of their applicant pool lol. I'll let you know if I get an email back!

@pramsotingz Just got an email back from them saying "Yes, that is our policy. If you are taking any final courses in the Fall to complete the requisites, the Admissions Committee may review but no final decisions on invitation to interview can be determined."

So, I guess I wasted money on this school.

Last edited:
@pramsotingz Just got an email back from them saying "Yes, that is our policy. If you are taking any final courses in the Fall to complete the requisites, the Admissions Committee may review but no final decisions on invitation to interview can be determined."

So, I guess I wasted money on this school.

That's not okay. I'm sorry to hear that. I know of no other school in the country that has this policy. I also feel as though they should emphasize this more in their application materials. :/

That's not okay. I'm sorry to hear that. I know of no other school in the country that has this policy. I also feel as though they should emphasize this more in their application materials. :/
I do blame myself for not checking their policy, but yeah, I never would have even thought to look into this because literally no other school does it-- I checked the rest of the schools on my list yesterday, and Temple is the only one.

I agree that they should have put it on the list of statements they put on their secondary. They made sure to inform applicants not to apply if they're not U.S. residents etc., but didn't bother to inform applicants of this strange pre-req requirement. We're just an easy $85 to them, unfortunately...

If you're going to be complete in January, it might be worth an application...in last year's thread, people were getting interviewed up until around March, I believe. It's just up to you on whether you think your application will stand out at that point. It's unfortunate that this school dismisses you for simply missing one pre-req; I would understand if you were missing two or more, but many people just can't fit all the pre-reqs in before application because of scheduling issues. Really unfortunate that they are tossing us aside, but it is what it is. I guess I wasn't meant to go to Temple!

St. Luke's is a 1 + 3 program in that your first year would be at temple main with the whole year (about 210 people) the entire class is organized into doctoring colleges of about 30 student, Saunders college is the St. Luke's program's college so your anatomy table and small discussion groups are all with people in this program. You do interact with other people in general in lecture and the small group rooms. Your second year would be at St. Luke's hospital in Bethlehem. Your second year is still basic science and it is the same classes and exams as the main campus except you have clinical faculty (MDs not PhDs) giving the lectures. All the lectures are recorded so anyone can watch lectures from either campus. For third year, all of your rotations are at St. Luke's which is nice because you do not have to worry about going to a bunch of different hospitals and having to learn your way around every month. You also get a scholarship, I think the most recent year was 10K per year. You need to drive up to St. Luke's a few times each semester so it is strongly recommended that you have a car, but usually enough people have one that you can get a ride with someone. The 30 students per year gives a much better faculty to student ratio especially on rotations.

Geisinger is a 2 + 2 program. It is a bit smaller than St. Luke's and shares a college with main campus people. The entire program is in one college but is not big enough to be in their own distinct college. Years 1 and 2 are at main campus and are basically the same as main campus program. The hospital you do your rotations at is in Danville I believe and focuses a bit more on rural medicine.

Main campus is in Philadelphia for all 4 years. They separate you into learning communities called doctoring colleges, about 30 students per college. You do your 2 basic science years and then two clinical rotation years. Years 3 and 4 can be at a variety of associated hospitals so you would most likely need a car for years 3 and 4, but you do not need one for years 1 and 2.

Tl;dr - There is no one program that is generally accepted and the better program. Very generally speaking, St. Luke's is more clinically focused than main campus which is a bit more academic/research focused and Geisinger is more rural focused. When you graduate your degree would be from Temple no matter which program you are in.

Reactions: 18 users
St. Luke's is a 1 + 3 program in that your first year would be at temple main with the whole year (about 210 people) the entire class is organized into doctoring colleges of about 30 student, Saunders college is the St. Luke's program's college so your anatomy table and small discussion groups are all with people in this program. You do interact with other people in general in lecture and the small group rooms. Your second year would be at St. Luke's hospital in Bethlehem. Your second year is still basic science and it is the same classes and exams as the main campus except you have clinical faculty (MDs not PhDs) giving the lectures. All the lectures are recorded so anyone can watch lectures from either campus. For third year, all of your rotations are at St. Luke's which is nice because you do not have to worry about going to a bunch of different hospitals and having to learn your way around every month. You also get a scholarship, I think the most recent year was 10K per year. You need to drive up to St. Luke's a few times each semester so it is strongly recommended that you have a car, but usually enough people have one that you can get a ride with someone. The 30 students per year gives a much better faculty to student ratio especially on rotations.

Geisinger is a 2 + 2 program. It is a bit smaller than St. Luke's and shares a college with main campus people. The entire program is in one college but is not big enough to be in their own distinct college. Years 1 and 2 are at main campus and are basically the same as main campus program. The hospital you do your rotations at is in Danville I believe and focuses a bit more on rural medicine.

Main campus is in Philadelphia for all 4 years. They separate you into learning communities called doctoring colleges, about 30 students per college. You do your 2 basic science years and then two clinical rotation years. Years 3 and 4 can be at a variety of associated hospitals so you would most likely need a car for years 3 and 4, but you do not need one for years 1 and 2.

Tl;dr - There is no one program that is generally accepted and the better program. Very generally speaking, St. Luke's is more clinically focused than main campus which is a bit more academic/research focused and Geisinger is more rural focused. When you graduate your degree would be from Temple no matter which program you are in.

You are a saint. Thank you so much for typing this up. I don't know why this info isn't more easily available!

Reactions: 2 users

Geisinger is no longer an option for ranking. It's TUH, St. Luke's, and Allegheny in Pittsburgh. Unless Geisinger is folded into the Allegheny one.

You are a saint. Thank you so much for typing this up. I don't know why this info isn't more easily available!

It bothered me when I applied that there was so little information available on each campus, it definitely would have changed how I ranked them if I had known then what I do now. The St Luke's website has a bunch of nice videos from students about the program. Looking at the temple website now I noticed that they no longer offer the Geisinger program and replaced it with Allegheny Health System, I assume it works the same way.

Website for Temple regional campuses
Clinical Training | Lewis Katz School of Medicine

Website for Temple - St. Luke's
St. Luke's - Temple

Website for Temple - Allegheny Health System
Temple University School of Medicine

Geisinger is no longer an option for ranking. It's TUH, St. Luke's, and Allegheny in Pittsburgh. Unless Geisinger is folded into the Allegheny one.

Yea I asked a friend in that program and apparently this past year was the last year they offered Geisinger as an option because Geisinger is partnering with the Commonwealth medical college. Allegheny used to just be a regional campus one could do rotations at but now seems to be a place you can commit third and fourth year to.

Last edited:
Submitted! Portal says I'm complete but haven't gotten an official email. Cant wait to hear back!

submitted, hoping 2 of my Art History, american government & politics, criminal justice or 2 english classes covers the humanities requirements. Itd be nice if they told what they wanted :shrug:

submitted, hoping 2 of my Art History, american government & politics, criminal justice or 2 english classes covers the humanities requirements. Itd be nice if they told what they wanted :shrug:
You should have called or emailed to ask! Considering they don't review apps unless you have all the pre-reqs, it would be a shame if you spent $85 for nothing.....like me :shrug:

How did you guys/gals approach these questions:
What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? (2000) and
Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked Clinical/Regional Campus

My first ranked is the main Temple location and I was going to talk about why I chose that in the "what is your nature" question. Is it ok to be redundant in the second question? I don't really know others things to focus on. I feel like they're both a "why Temple" question, even thought I selected the main clinical campus, not any of the special programs.

Did anyone's essays get pushed together after submission? As in the lines in between paragraphs were automatically removed?

Has anyone NOT received a secondary yet? This is one of the last schools I'm waiting on and I still haven't gotten anything from them.

It was probably said somewhere in this thread, but do we need to send in official ACT scores? Or only if invited for an interview?

How did you guys/gals approach these questions:
What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? (2000) and
Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked Clinical/Regional Campus

My first ranked is the main Temple location and I was going to talk about why I chose that in the "what is your nature" question. Is it ok to be redundant in the second question? I don't really know others things to focus on. I feel like they're both a "why Temple" question, even thought I selected the main clinical campus, not any of the special programs.
I talked more about the school's overall mission and qualities in the first essay. In the why Temple University Hospital essay, I talked about why I wanted to be in Philly specifically and how getting my clinical training at TUH would help prepare me for the goals I have in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been marked complete yet? I submitted back on the 8th, but I have yet to receive any follow up emails about my app being completed.

Has anyone been marked complete yet? I submitted back on the 8th, but I have yet to receive any follow up emails about my app being completed.

I submitted 7/15 and haven't received a completion email either

I haven't gotten a completion email but that "AMCAS Application" box on the main screen shows all 4 boxes checked

I haven't gotten a completion email but that "AMCAS Application" box on the main screen shows all 4 boxes checked
same. also would like to know how important it is to submit the sat scores / will it help me? had like above 700 on all sections

Alright thanks so much! Yea I completed and all 4 of my checkboxes have been marked. Anyways, that's enough neuroticism. Time to go do other things.

I think it's more for data collection than anything else.
I agree that it's about data collection. But I'm wondering- let's say you have high SAT scores and a high MCAT, but poor GPA (asking for a friend ;)) would this somehow help/hurt in the sense that it indicates, for example, you are a good standardized test taker but do not demonstrate long-term academic potential? Although it seems like this comparison for SAT/GPA/MCAT would add more to time to the application process for the adcoms than it would be worth imo

Does anybody have any insight into the difference between TUH and Allegheny campuses?

does the 2000 character limit include spaces?

Is anyone who submitted an IA letter from their dean complete yet? Mine was sent a couple weeks ago and I am still waiting for it to update on the portal.

I rocked the SAT and ACT, so I put them down. It's self-reported, so you don't have to officially send them or anything. I took the exams 10 years ago and obviously didn't remember my login info, so I called both and they were helpful with getting me set back up.
so if we included our score on the secondary .....do we need to upload a screenshot of our scores onto the "document upload" page??

also, just now after i submitted my secondary, i clicked the "view application" and all my essays are showing as one lump paragraph. Is this the same for anyone/everyone else? thanks!!

Current MS2 here willing to answer some questions you guys may have.