2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they have sent out primary care track acceptances yet? @vsn001 did your friend get accepted into that track?

Reactions: 1 user
October 5th, with me lol, and @kli586 , Tuscaloosa just another campus tour :) Was really fun and interesting though, so enjoy it and ask many questions!
Thank you. Was there a group interview for primary care track? what was the interview format? I wonder if it was different than regular MD interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Was there a group interview for primary care track? what was the interview format? I wonder if it was different than regular MD interviews.
There was no difference between the interview formats for primary care track vs regular MD, the only scheduling difference is the additional day for a tour/introduction to the Tuscaloosa campus and the longitudinal clerkship.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought the regular MD interview is MMI while the primary care track interview is traditional (open-file with a faculty member)?

I thought the regular MD interview is MMI while the primary care track interview is traditional (open-file with a faculty member)?

Only thing different about PCT applicants is that they go to Tuscaloosa on Friday to tour the program. Nothing else, so all applicants still need to expect the mmi and trad interview :)

Interviews aren't 100% open file, interviewers have everything except grades and MCAT scores.

What's midway between open and closed file? Ajar file? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the traditional interview open file or partially open?

Open file

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I apologize, but I believe that it is a partial open file, where: "Interviewers will have access to your AMCAS and secondary applications and letters of recommendation, but do not have access to your grades or MCAT scores." per the uab website

II today! if I don’t want to do the primacy track anymore, can I still do the regular MD interview? Would they cancel my II?

II today! if I don’t want to do the primacy track anymore, can I still do the regular MD interview? Would they cancel my II?
I worried the same thing so I did not request to change to regular MD. But they did say after interview, you can still change.

I worried the same thing so I did not request to change to regular MD. But they did say after interview, you can still change.

Ya just change after interview - minimizes risk of losing it

As clarified by their tweeter page, if you’re no longer interested in the primary care track let them know as soon as possible, and you won’t loose your II.

As clarified by their tweeter page, if you’re no longer interested in the primary care track let them know as soon as possible, and you won’t loose your II.
Does this make primary care track more competitive? Any one applying for PCT has been accepted yet?

Does this make primary care track more competitive? Any one applying for PCT has been accepted yet?
I don’t know if it’s more competitive but there are only 23 spots available. So it’s a numbers game. I’m wondering the same thing if anyone has been accepted into the PCT yet.

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s more competitive but there are only 23 spots available. So it’s a numbers game. I’m wondering the same thing if anyone has been accepted into the PCT yet.
Where did you get the 23 from? What about regular MD?

@vsn001 How many people were there in Tuscaloosa with you on that day ? since you said it was just campus tour and there was no interview on that day, so I assume the entire of group applicants were there together, correct?

Where did you get the 23 from? What about regular MD?
That's the number of seats that they told us were available for PCT. Regular MD, is around 180, I believe. If someone has different numbers please correct me.

@vsn001 How many people were there in Tuscaloosa with you on that day ? since you said it was just campus tour and there was no interview on that day, so I assume the entire of group applicants were there together, correct?
There was maybe 20 applicants that day but it was only the group that interviewed the day before on Oct. 5th.

Does anyone know if they offer good scholarships for OOS applicants?. Got an II here but I am not sure if I should go considering the high OOS tuition.

II just now! Could anyone that is familiar with the area provide some hotel recomendations? I appreciate it!

Last edited:
II this evening! Primary Care Track, IS, LM=70.3, secondary completed on 2017-09-19. 1st available date at this point is 2018-01-11, for those keeping track. Best of luck to everyone no matter where you are in the process, whether pre-II, preparing for interview, or awaiting final decision.

That's the number of seats that they told us were available for PCT. Regular MD, is around 180, I believe. If someone has different numbers please correct me.

Does the PCT consideration come along with a regular MD consideration? Or in other words, could one be told "You weren't selected for PCT, but by merit of the same interview we're offering you a regular MD spot?

II just now! Could anyone that is familiar with the area provide some hotel recomendations? I appreciate it!

There's a Double Tree on the corner of 20th St and University Blvd that's on the Hospital/University campus and a 4 block walk from the Medical School building (16th and University) that's usually a solid pick for out-of-town applicants. Not sure what the price is, but it's a good pick as far as convenience.

There's a Double Tree on the corner of 20th St and University Blvd that's on the Hospital/University campus and a 4 block walk from the Medical School building (16th and University) that's usually a solid pick for out-of-town applicants. Not sure what the price is, but it's a good pick as far as convenience.
Awesome. Thank you very much for the reply!

Do you guys know if we switch to regular MD from PCT after the interview, is this going to impact their final decisions? Has any done that after the interview by notifying the committee for the change? The informational email says we have to do it after the interview otherwise we will have to make a commitment to PCT. Thanks.

Does the PCT consideration come along with a regular MD consideration? Or in other words, could one be told "You weren't selected for PCT, but by merit of the same interview we're offering you a regular MD spot?
The way they explained it during our PCT Tuscaloosa tour, if they find that you don't fit their mold for PCT you are still eligible for the regular MD admission. But I assume they might word it in the same fashion you worded it.

Do you guys know if we switch to regular MD from PCT after the interview, is this going to impact their final decisions? Has any done that after the interview by notifying the committee for the change? The informational email says we have to do it after the interview otherwise we will have to make a commitment to PCT. Thanks.
They said it wouldn't affect their decision if we decided to opt out of the PCT post interview. Even if you don't they still have the potential to remove you from that section and put you into the regular MD track. IF you don't fit their criteria for what they want for PCT. I haven't heard from anyone that removed themselves post interview though.

I received a second email about how I indicated interest in the primary care track. Am I supposed to email them back to confirm? In the email, it says to email if one would like to withdraw their interest/application. Just wondering if anyone else replied to that email.

I received a second email about how I indicated interest in the primary care track. Am I supposed to email them back to confirm? In the email, it says to email if one would like to withdraw their interest/application. Just wondering if anyone else replied to that email.
I got it too. I interpreted it as "If you still want to be considered for primary care track, do nothing. If you don't want to be considered for the primary care track, let us know"

Does Alabama silently reject? I've been complete for over two months

Can anyone comment on the tone and scheduling of the interviews? Are the MMIs and traditional interview scheduled back to back, or is lunch in between? Were the interviews more conversational, or a list of questions?

Can anyone comment on the tone and scheduling of the interviews? Are the MMIs and traditional interview scheduled back to back, or is lunch in between? Were the interviews more conversational, or a list of questions?

MMI and trad interview are back to back with lunch and a tour afterwards. Trad interview is very conversational but it was clear that they had a list of things that they wanted to discuss. There didn't seem to be a set list of questions every interviewer was supposed to ask though.

IS and UAB Undergrad. GPA 3.99 MCAT low to mid 500s (makes for about LizzyM of the high 60s). Solid ECs (research, volunteer, leadership, etc.). PCT applicant, complete on 10/09. Complete silence so far, plus I didnt receive the email last week asking people to let them know if they wanna withdraw from PCT consideration. Not sure if thats a good sign. Couple of friends I know who applied, on applied to PCT and other Regular MD both IS already rejected Pre II. Don't know whether or not I should submit DO apps or prepare for MCAT retake, but hopefully hear something back from UAB by end of December so I have a better idea. USA also very silent so far it seems.
I think UAB's minimum MCAT is 506? I was told that Auburn has a DO program now and last year they had 100% acceptance rate.