2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UAB SOM tweeter page shows they will meet on 11/16, but PCT applicants have until 11/28 to let them know whether they want to stay on PCT or not. Does that mean 11/16's meeting will exclude PCT applicants who already had interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

UAB SOM tweeter page shows they will meet on 11/16, but PCT applicants have until 11/28 to let them know whether they want to stay on PCT or not. Does that mean 11/16's meeting will exclude PCT applicants who already had interviews?

(deleted)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think UAB's minimum MCAT is 506? I was told that Auburn has a DO program now and last year they had 100% acceptance rate.
t

IS and UAB Undergrad. GPA 3.99 MCAT low to mid 500s (makes for about LizzyM of the high 60s). Solid ECs (research, volunteer, leadership, etc.). PCT applicant, complete on 10/09. Complete silence so far, plus I didnt receive the email last week asking people to let them know if they wanna withdraw from PCT consideration. Not sure if thats a good sign. Couple of friends I know who applied, on applied to PCT and other Regular MD both IS already rejected Pre II. Don't know whether or not I should submit DO apps or prepare for MCAT retake, but hopefully hear something back from UAB by end of December so I have a better idea. USA also very silent so far it seems.

Most recent MSAR data shows the 10th percentile as 501, 25th percentile (503), 50th percentile (508), 75th percentile (512) and 90th percentile (516). It would seem a 3.99 GPA w/ a low-to-mid 500s MCAT would make you reasonably competitive applicant at UAB stats-wise.

If you're set on MD, I'd plan to retake the MCAT if I were you and aim for reapplying next year with a 510+. You're a solid DO candidate as-is and don't need to retake the MCAT if you're okay with DO. Better get your DO app in like ASAP (like before Turkey Day) though if you still want to apply DO this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
UAB's adcom meets November 16th-- possibly getting notifications of status at the end of this week? I interviewed two weeks ago, so that may be too recent.

UAB's adcom meets November 16th-- possibly getting notifications of status at the end of this week? I interviewed two weeks ago, so that may be too recent.
Are you PCT? I am not sure if they will exclude PCT applicants.

I don't Tweet (I'm old) - does the status say what interview dates they're planning to discuss, or have they said which ones they have already discussed at committee?

Can I ask how your interview experience was? Interviewing in a few weeks and trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I interviewed on 11/2 as well. If I remember correctly, they said they won't start reviewing us until the last week of November. But I'm hoping they'll take a look at us tomorrow!!

I interviewed on 11/2 as well. If I remember correctly, they said they won't start reviewing us until the last week of November. But I'm hoping they'll take a look at us tomorrow!!
That's what I thought that they might exclude PCTs because the deadline to withdraw PCT is 11/28/17.

I don't Tweet (I'm old) - does the status say what interview dates they're planning to discuss, or have they said which ones they have already discussed at committee?
Same here but their Twitter page is open so you don’t have to have an account if you want to keep up to date with admissions.
@UABMedAdmissions or check the UAB Med School website for current applicant for a link.
It’s rolling admissions so they could potentially look at people that interviewed back in August. I’m sharing the same thoughts as @BananaMD2022 and thinking since they are giving a window for change with PCT.
Ultimately no right answer lol.
Sending positive vibes to everyone waiting to hear about admissions this week and those still waiting IIs.

Last edited:
Interviewed on the first day (10/1) and have yet to hear anything. Anyone else on this same boat??

Does Alabama silently reject? I've been complete for over two months
When I interviewed, they insisted that they do not do silent rejections. However, I interviewed on 9/14 and have yet to hear back...

About a month ago they stated the ADCOM was meeting today... but they didn't post anything to the twitter today I don't think so maybe they cancelled.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed, they insisted that they do not do silent rejections. However, I interviewed on 9/14 and have yet to hear back...
It was my understanding when I interviewed that they will call and email for an acceptance, email for a rejection, and do nothing for waitlist. So since ADCOM is onto the October interview dates now I think you should assume you’ve been waitlisted.

About a month ago they stated the ADCOM was meeting today... but they didn't post anything to the twitter today I don't think so maybe they cancelled.
I am assuming they aren't doing offer calls today, since they haven't tweeted.

Thank you :)

Thank you! 9/14 was the 2nd interview date that they had available from their list.
I asked because their tweeter page showed their last ADCOM was onto the October dates of interviews so I thought you might have typed a wrong date. :) Congrats again!

And that's all folks! Next ADCOM is November 30th per twitter page. The wait continues.

II today! Complete 9/25. First available date was 11/30

Interview Invite today! Completed on 8/12. OOS and Non-Traditional

Any post-interview rejects yet?

Any tips for the interview?
Congratulations!! As far as the interview, definitely practice MMI scenarios beforehand. There's plenty of sample questions online that'll boost your confidence and help you feel prepared for interview day. In my experience, the MMIs were more formal than the one-on-one interview, which was more conversational. I'd practice those types of questions too, though, just in case you get an interviewer who prefers to ask the traditional questions. Better safe than sorry! Best of luck!

Congratulations!! As far as the interview, definitely practice MMI scenarios beforehand. There's plenty of sample questions online that'll boost your confidence and help you feel prepared for interview day. In my experience, the MMIs were more formal than the one-on-one interview, which was more conversational. I'd practice those types of questions too, though, just in case you get an interviewer who prefers to ask the traditional questions. Better safe than sorry! Best of luck!
I second that. Definitely prepare for MMI scenarios! PCT applicants get the same format of interview too.

Does anyone remember what they said about campus placement? Idk where I got this from, but I was under the impression that I would be assigned to a campus in my acceptance letter, which doesn't say anything about placement

Does anyone remember what they said about campus placement? Idk where I got this from, but I was under the impression that I would be assigned to a campus in my acceptance letter, which doesn't say anything about placement
I vaguely (and I mean VAGUELY) remember something about accepted people being asked to fill something out in March? and they will make the decisions by April 1. Not positive though.

they actually just tweeted this morning that accepted students will submit preferences by march 1st and decisions would be made april 1st!

I saw that lololol. They mentioned SDN during the interview day, maybe they're browsing here.... (Hi UAB!!)

Reactions: 1 users
For the MMI, do they allow you to take notes during the 2 minute prep period and bring those notes in?

From my experience the past two cycles, no. The prompt is outside the door for you to read and think about for two minutes and then a copy is available for you when you go into the room.

Reactions: 1 users