2017-2018 Vanderbilt University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got a secondary. Does anyone know if they lowered thier cut offs because I honestly was not expecting to pass thier initial screen?
 
Just got a secondary. Does anyone know if they lowered thier cut offs because I honestly was not expecting to pass thier initial screen?

Hmm, I do wonder if Vanderbilt is still screening this year. I heard that Mayo, which had a heavy screen in previous years, didn't screen this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Alternatively, depending on the type of problem Vanderbilt was having with AMCAS, perhaps they were able to review applications the entire time but couldn't send out secondaries until now, so all of them were sent at once.
 
Is it worth filling out this secondary with a 513/4.0 ? I'm hesitant


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would - The infographic shows that they have accepted 70th percentile MCAT scores and yours is above that.

Has anyone with a low GPA (<3.5) gotten a secondary? I realize the infographic shows 3.1 as the lowest they accepted last year, but I still have very little hope of getting a secondary from them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, I do wonder if Vanderbilt is still screening this year. I heard that Mayo, which had a heavy screen in previous years, didn't screen this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Alternatively, depending on the type of problem Vanderbilt was having with AMCAS, perhaps they were able to review applications the entire time but couldn't send out secondaries until now, so all of them were sent at once.

Hopefully, it is the second option. We need more schools to screen, not less.
 
After what happened with mayo, I'm not gonna let myself get excited about getting this one.

Well if we received that initial email saying that they participate in a screening process, isn't it fair to assume that they're still screening this year? (Just trying to be a beacon of hope here, haha. But I also think this is a very rational assumption).
 
Last edited:
Well if we received that initial email saying that they participate in a screening process, isn't it fair to assume that they're still screening this year? (Just trying to be a beacon of hope here, haha. But I also think this is a very rational assumption).

That was my assumption. I mean, the e-mail said they were screening, so I took them at their word. Lol

Secondary today, BTW. 3.6/516, so they must not be screening all that hard!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Well if we received that initial email saying that they participate in a screening process, isn't it fair to assume that they're still screening this year? (Just trying to be a beacon of hope here, haha. But I also think this is a very rational assumption).
Mayo said the same thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, I do wonder if Vanderbilt is still screening this year. I heard that Mayo, which had a heavy screen in previous years, didn't screen this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Alternatively, depending on the type of problem Vanderbilt was having with AMCAS, perhaps they were able to review applications the entire time but couldn't send out secondaries until now, so all of them were sent at once.

I would bet a large sum of money that they are not screening this year. Maybe due to the amcas->vanderbilt transmission of apps error and inability to screen until now so they just said screw it and sent it to everyone.
 
I would bet a large sum of money that they are not screening this year. Maybe due to the amcas->vanderbilt transmission of apps error and inability to screen until now so they just said screw it and sent it to everyone.

Kind of wish that was true, but I definitely haven't seen a secondary and I did receive the email saying they were looking through my application.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
With all this talk about not screening, you guys sure do know how to bring a person back to Earth. (I suspect it's correct though.)
 
I wonder if Vanderbilt will still be releasing their first interviews on August 9 like it says on their timeline... not to be thinking too far ahead when I haven't even submitted my secondary :whistle:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Sagacious Scholar
@Highdrogen

I actually don't know the cutoff for automatic secondary LOL I just know there was one in the past. It was like 3.8+/37+ or something, and however that translates to new MCAT. So you two would probably have passed it but idk
 
@Sagacious Scholar
@Highdrogen

I actually don't know the cutoff for automatic secondary LOL I just know there was one in the past. It was like 3.8+/37+ or something, and however that translates to new MCAT. So you two would probably have passed it but idk

I think my MCAT is more like 35-36. Maybe my GPA made up for it? idk