2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they only call on Tuesday?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they only call on Tuesday?

Definitely not! I got a call on Wednesday regarding my acceptance. Generally, they said that Director Nabers make phone calls Tues-Thurs since the committee meets the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month.

For future lurkers...
1st time applicant, LM >70
  • App complete - 8/4/18
  • Update #1 - sent 10/2/18
  • Update #2 - sent 1/3/19
  • ITA e-mail - sent 1/23/19
  • Additional LOR sent - 1/29/19
  • Interview - 2/12/19
  • Acceptance call - 2/27/19

Don't lose hope just yet - you got this!!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely not! I got a call on Wednesday regarding my acceptance. Generally, they said that Director Nabers make phone calls Tues-Thurs since the committee meets the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month.

For future lurkers...
1st time applicant, LM >70
  • App complete - 8/4/18
  • Update #1 - sent 10/2/18
  • Update #2 - sent 1/3/19
  • ITA e-mail - sent 1/23/19
  • Additional LOR sent - 1/29/19
  • Interview - 2/12/19
  • Acceptance call - 2/27/19

Don't lose hope just yet - you got this!!! :)

What is an ITA email? and when you sent additional LORs, did you email admissions, upload to portal, or submit through AMCAS just like you would have initially?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is an ITA email? and when you sent additional LORs, did you email admissions, upload to portal, or submit through AMCAS just like you would have initially?

An MD from my work sent a letter of rec directly to the SSOM email account. She received a confirmation that the letter was added to my file. I hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
Placed on CC last night… Gutted, as this is my first choice. Will be praying to the waitlist gods every morning and night for the foreseeable future…

Placed on CC last night… Gutted, as this is my first choice. Will be praying to the waitlist gods every morning and night for the foreseeable future…
Cc isn't the isn't the waitlist though, right?

Cc isn't the isn't the waitlist though, right?

Not technically speaking, but I can’t help but feel that a CC this late on in the cycle (i.e., now that interviews have concluded) is suggestive of a position on the waitlist. (Dean Nabers, feel free to prove me wrong!! )

Our (speaking to all my CC comrades) biggest hope is that when the April 30th deadline for applicants to choose one school hits, some spots will open up and Stritch/Dean Nabers will feel more comfortable offering more acceptances, as last year they over-enrolled by about a dozen.

I personally know several who’ve been accepted to Stritch, who also hold multiple acceptances elsewhere, and they - like many others who are in similar positions - are holding out on scholarship/financial aid offers before deciding.

Reactions: 3 users
Not technically speaking, but I can’t help but feel that a CC this late on in the cycle (i.e., now that interviews have concluded) is suggestive of a position on the waitlist. (Dean Nabers, feel free to prove me wrong!! )

Our (speaking to all my CC comrades) biggest hope is that when the April 30th deadline for applicants to choose one school hits, some spots will open up and Stritch/Dean Nabers will feel more comfortable offering more acceptances, as last year they over-enrolled by about a dozen.

I personally know several who’ve been accepted to Stritch, who also hold multiple acceptances elsewhere, and they - like many others who are in similar positions - are holding out on scholarship/financial aid offers before deciding.

yeah from what i was told, it sounds like they won't accept anyone off the CC list until they have more movement from the current accepted list, which i would assume would be around april 15th and april 30th

Most courses are fine, but there were a couple of courses we basically had to teach ourselves. Additionally, at least during my time, they added in some non-science courses aimed at learning about disparities and social/behavioral topics, but the actual way the sessions were taught were not helpful, and the ways they tested them were not great. They have made many changes so an M1/M2 can speak better to this, but from some that I've spoken with, there is still progress to be made. That being said, it's all doable, and you are well prepared for 3rd/4th year, and I killed it on boards, as did many classmates, but how much of that is up to personal preparation is still significant, like at most programs.

Loyola does PBL weekly for certain courses like Physiology and Pathology. It's usually 1-2x weekly.

I would go to Loyola again. Being as clinically solid as I am is worth a hell of a lot. I wouldn't trade that for a few better lectures.
Thanks for taking the time. On those courses in which you had to teach yourself, did the tests at least make sense? What could have been improved about the courses and the professors? They needed to teach more detailed information? Or did they lack a conceptual framework? I’m just trying to get a sense what this looks like, what you’re describing.

(Though I agree it’s not a major deal or a deciding factor)

One other thing, did you think the “traditional” curriculum was fine? Or do you think a systems one would have been better given your learning style?

Members don't see this ad :)
To any of the current M3/M4s, do you feel that students at Stritch have adequate support during clinical rotations? For example, are all rotations well-organized, and is relatively easy to schedule away rotations within the curriculum?

Last edited:
Has anyone accepted received notice of merit scholarships, or do these come out later in April?

Reactions: 3 users
On continued consideration since October and have sent 3 updates. Curious at what point they decide or throw me on a waitlist.

On continued consideration since October and have sent 3 updates. Curious at what point they decide or throw me on a waitlist.
Waitlist becomes a thing in May according to their admissions office

did you send in a letter of intent as one of your updates?

No, just general updates with a couple sentences about why they remain a great fit for me. Don't plan on submitting a letter of intent to Stritch.

For any accepted applicants, is there a Facebook group? If so, how did you go about finding it?

Any idea where current M1s live? I know most are in the Oak Park Area, but I was looking for a single and wondering if any M1s can answer whether most people are sharing apartments or living alone.

Any idea where current M1s live? I know most are in the Oak Park Area, but I was looking for a single and wondering if any M1s can answer whether most people are sharing apartments or living alone.
Oak park, forest park, north riverside, berwyn, river forest, la grange are all around campus but some people closer to the city (wicker park, logan square, west loop...). most people live with roommates or significant others but some people live by themselves. There should be a google sheet on the facebook group if you're looking for a roommate!

Anyone know if they are meeting this week since its the 4th Monday of the month?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the call few minutes ago <3 OOW LM ~ 71 and interviewed around 8 weeks ago but they were still waiting on one last person to grade my application!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else interviewed in November and were put in CC? I have sent in a few updates and letter of intent, wondering what else I can do to at this point. Literally my top choice school and I genuinely cannot imagine myself going anywhere else for medical school. However, it looks like getting off CC at this point of the year is unlikely since most of the class is filled.

Anyone else interviewed in November and were put in CC? I have sent in a few updates and letter of intent, wondering what else I can do to at this point. Literally my top choice school and I genuinely cannot imagine myself going anywhere else for medical school. However, it looks like getting off CC at this point of the year is unlikely since most of the class is filled.
How do you know that the class is basically filled? The decision date isnt until the 30th of April right?

I was placed on CC today, but this is also my top choice. Does anyone know if we would hear back before April 30th?? If we don’t hear back and choose another school by April 30, can we still change our mind if we receive an acceptance here after April 30th?

I was placed on CC today, but this is also my top choice. Does anyone know if we would hear back before April 30th?? If we don’t hear back and choose another school by April 30, can we still change our mind if we receive an acceptance here after April 30th?

i think if you choose another school and get accepted after april 30th you can still switch. Thats how people get pulled off the wait list last minute

Just out of curiosity, out of those that have been accepted, how many have not committed (at least in their minds) to Stritch yet? As of now it seems like there's a little over 230 students in the fb group (some of which are current students), so I am wondering if there's a chance of overfilling, as I'd heard this happened a couple years ago.

Im in the same boat. I also sent a couple updates and a letter of intent. I was told ad com would be able to rereview the CC pool in early march after the last interview pools were reviewed. It does seem as if that got pushed back and they’re just finishing up the most recent interview pools now. I’m holding out some hope but also expecting waitlist at the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been sent any instructions on creating any sort of account for loyola or locus?

Maybe someone should take one for the team and call and ask when we can expect finaid offers! Nose goes :p

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe someone should take one for the team and call and ask when we can expect finaid offers! Nose goes :p

I called about the email a while back, and they said we should get a follow-up with our LOCUS info before second look.

For the recent email they just sent out to accepted students, is anyone else unable to locate the "Clinical Requirements LG77 Class of 2023" after clicking on that link they provided?

Is there a dress code for second look?

sorry if this has been already asked but I just wanted to see if someone has the link for the accepted students facebook page :)

I should probably start looking for apartments to visit when I’m up there

For the recent email they just sent out to accepted students, is anyone else unable to locate the "Clinical Requirements LG77 Class of 2023" after clicking on that link they provided?

I couldn’t find it as well. I could tell if they hadn’t updated “class of 2022” or if they just hadn’t added the option.

Just gave up my seat because I got into my number 1 choice. I hope my spot goes to someone deserving. To be honest, it was a tough decision because I absolutely loved the climate of Loyola and heard extremely great things about it, but I am glad I was able to get into my top choice. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back from Loyola or other schools!