2022-2023 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @drewmighty for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Loyola (Stritch) Secondary Essay Prompts
1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.
(Minimum 100 Words)

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician. (Minimum 100 Words)

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments. (Minimum 100 Words)

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style. (Minimum 100 Words)

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem. (Minimum 100 Words)

6. Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine? If so, please list the affiliation and their years of attendance.

*******COMPLETE QUESTIONS 7-13 IF APPLICABLE*******
7. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

8. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

9. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

10. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

11-12 just minor questions (crime + program question)

13. If you did not submit an advisor or committee letter, please tell us why.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oos secondary received. Their letters req is a bit confusing. Says include original letters with the committee letter?

Oos secondary received. Their letters req is a bit confusing. Says include original letters with the committee letter?
Would you mind confirming if the prompts are the same from last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh they make you pay the 115 fee before you even see the prompts to fill it out. Rough.
1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.
Minimum 100 Words

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.
Minimum 100 Words

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Minimum 100 Words

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style.
Minimum 100 Words

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.
Minimum 100 Words

6. Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine? If so, please list the affiliation and their years of attendance.

7. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

8. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

9. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

10. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS, secondary received 7/6. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

Ugh they make you pay the 115 fee before you even see the prompts to fill it out. Rough.
Minimum 100 Words

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.
Minimum 100 Words

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Minimum 100 Words

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style.
Minimum 100 Words

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.
Minimum 100 Words

is this the 2022-2023 official sec prompts? Just making sure lol thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
IS still not received

Edit: IS secondary received 7/12 lol what a coincidence

Last edited:
Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

Minimum 100 Words

urgh
#2, #3 are basically the same question. Seems like they want 2 examples

Reactions: 1 users
The page says strongly recommend a letter from a science professor, but I have none. Does that mean absolutely positively needed or its okay if you don't have it.

The page says strongly recommend a letter from a science professor, but I have none. Does that mean absolutely positively needed or its okay if you don't have it.
probably depends on the context! if you are a traditional student they probably will want one or explanation why but I would guess for a more non-traditional student they won't care as much. Just my two-cents. Probably best to reach out to their office!

Did anyone get a notice after submitting sec that letters have not be received so file in incomplete?

How do you "finalize"/submit? I only see the save and continue button.

has anyone verified in june not receive a secondary yet?

has anyone verified in june not receive a secondary yet?
I was verified yesterday and received their secondary like 20 mins ago. have you checked ur spam/promotion folders?

• Care
I was verified yesterday and received their secondary like 20 mins ago. have you checked ur spam/promotion folders?
omg ty i just found it in promotions, was sent like 9 days ago. you're a lifesaver!

• Love
Hold just now I believe (I did not get an email notifying me). Complete 7/20!

Where did you see this and what is the message that indicates this status?
Saw this in the portal where you complete the secondary. This is what they said:
  • Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.

what are the word limit on these prompts, and what do they mean by advisor or committee letter? is it enough to just tell them that our school doesn't use committee letter packets (haven't been verified yet so preparing my secondary)
100-500 words, yes that's enough

Saw this in the portal where you complete the secondary. This is what they said:
  • Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.
Same

Does anyone know if the hold is a good/bad/neutral thing? I was complete 7/19 and my status says file is complete and currently undergoing review by committee.

Does anyone know if the hold is a good/bad/neutral thing? I was complete 7/19 and my status says file is complete and currently undergoing review by committee.
I’m a reapplicant from 2020 cycle. From what I understand the hold means they are interested but it’s not likely you are going to get an interview since they only interview 570 applicants. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen it’s just highly unlikely. On the other hand, loyola does not send rejections before the end of the cycle. So if you don’t have a hold status you’re either being considered for an interview or rejected. When I interviewed in 2020 I did not have a hold status, got an interview invite around November!

Reactions: 3 users
urgh
#2, #3 are basically the same question. Seems like they want 2 examples
Yeah.... I'm confused by the repetition as well. They are both asking about what you've learned about yourself through social justice experiences. Did you just use 2 different examples but talk about different things you learned?

Yeah.... I'm confused by the repetition as well. They are both asking about what you've learned about yourself through social justice experiences. Did you just use 2 different examples but talk about different things you learned?
They’re different question: 2 what will you do, 3 what have you done

I'm interested in the MD/MPH program, but couldn't find anywhere to designate this in the secondary. Website doesn't have much information, does anyone know if you apply to the program after MD matriculation?

I'm interested in the MD/MPH program, but couldn't find anywhere to designate this in the secondary. Website doesn't have much information, does anyone know if you apply to the program after MD matriculation?
Current MD/MPH! You apply after you get in😊 dm me with any other questions you have!!

I cannot get the link from the PDF to work. Has anyone come across this and how did they solve it?

Been stuck on answers 2 and 3 for weeks now. I only have one experience that is social justice-y in nature.

For #9, does two years refer to two years at this present moment or by matriculation? I graduated in 2021 so I'm unsure if I should fill this out because it will be over two years in August of 2023

Looking for any insight on Loyola’s curriculum covering womens repro health/abortion education being a Jesuit institution. I have done some research but many posts or articles are outdated. I received the secondary but do not want to pay the fee if this is not a school that would be a good fit for me in the first place. Any information would be helpful, thank you!

Looking for any insight on Loyola’s curriculum covering womens repro health/abortion education being a Jesuit institution. I have done some research but many posts or articles are outdated. I received the secondary but do not want to pay the fee if this is not a school that would be a good fit for me in the first place. Any information would be helpful, thank you!
What exactly is your question

What exactly is your question
What aspects of abortion care is covered in their curriculum and/or in rotations. Would I need to seek external rotations at different universities to be educated on this etc.