2018-2019 Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m a reapplicant and I got it last year but it only took like 5 days to hear back from them and get the waiver code. I’ll keep you updated when I hear back!
Have you heard back regarding the waiver?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP II!!!! I can't believe the turnaround was this fast but i'm so excited!!

Reactions: 1 users
Me either..I'm at MUSC right now but I don't want go and bother the office. It seems like the lady in charge may not be working this week.
Just got an email with the fee waiver code!

How much did y'all write for OOS ties to South Carolina? Are they just explicitly looking for a list of various relatives that have lived here.

Are they charging a secondary fee this year?
Yes, it’s $95 unless you have been approved for FAP. If so, you have to forward the FAP email which says you have been approved for it to admissions to receive a fee waiver code.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it’s $95 unless you have been approved for FAP. If so, you have to forward the FAP email which says you have been approved for it to admissions to receive a fee waiver code.
Yikes! That blows that their secondary has a few included this year. Kinda wonder why they implemented that.

Yikes! That blows that their secondary has a few included this year. Kinda wonder why they implemented that.
When did they not have a fee? I’m a reapplicant and last application cycle they had a fee as well.

When did they not have a fee? I’m a reapplicant and last application cycle they had a fee as well.
I stand corrected. Looked back at my credit card statement for July 2017 and saw that I indeed did pay $95. I guess I just don't remember it.

Reactions: 1 user
Any reason why I shouldn't have gotten a secondary yet? OOS with IS ties (undergrad), verified 6/30, LizzyM ~71

Yes, I check it often. It's possible I could have missed it though. Recommend contacting the admissions office?

I think that’s a good idea, seems most people have gotten it.

Anyone submit their demographic profile document but hasn’t received a reply confirmation email?

Anyone submit their demographic profile document but hasn’t received a reply confirmation email?

When did you submit? I submitted mine on July 16 and got an email that it’s been printed for my file on July 23

When did you submit? I submitted mine on July 16 and got an email that it’s been printed for my file on July 23
I submitted July 31st. I’ll give it a few more days then, thank you!

Hey! so I just got the confirmation email! I submitted my demographic profile on July 30th
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully that means I’ll be receiving the email soon now!

Is the demographic info different from their "secondary"? I am OOS and submitted my close ties after paying the fee. I am assuming they go through IS first and then start looking OOS?

Is the demographic info different from their "secondary"? I am OOS and submitted my close ties after paying the fee. I am assuming they go through IS first and then start looking OOS?
I think the demographic info is only for IS applicants. I’m not sure about whether they go through IS before OOS instead of at the same time though.

Also- just recieved the confirmation email for the demographic profile!

Last edited:
How should the essay for close ties to the state be formatted? I am from NC and have several, including one parent living there for a year, several relatives for a long time, and going to a state school in SC. Is this a formal essay? Letter format? or do they want a list with descriptions?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks

How should the essay for close ties to the state be formatted? I am from NC and have several, including one parent living there for a year, several relatives for a long time, and going to a state school in SC. Is this a formal essay? Letter format? or do they want a list with descriptions?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks
I felt it was somewhere in between a list and letter format, brief and to the point. Definitely not a formal essay that I submitted to other schools.

I'm OOS, got an email saying that my ties weren't strong. Best of luck.

Guess that means I have no chance applying here right? I've never even been to South Carolina before, but heard good things about this school. I wanted to apply, but I didn't know they were so stringent on their "close ties" requirement :(

Guess that means I have no chance applying here right? I've never even been to South Carolina before, but heard good things about this school. I wanted to apply, but I didn't know they were so stringent on their "close ties" requirement :(
Use your own discretion, but it will be nearly impossible without ties. I did research at MUSC this summer and they said that it didn't count at all.

Use your own discretion, but it will be nearly impossible without ties. I did research at MUSC this summer and they said that it didn't count at all.

Thanks, that probably means I'm going to be rejected too. I have no ties at all, and am not a super strong candidate. Not applying here lol but good luck to everyone else that is!

hey! Has anyone who applied ED heard anything about interviews?

Early decision invite for September 7th!

Does anyone know if the OOS MCAT requirement of "509 or higher" is a strict cut off?

Does anyone know if the OOS MCAT requirement of "509 or higher" is a strict cut off?

I’d check the MSAR to see if they’ve accepted anyone out of state under a 509. If you don’t have the MSAR I can check for you

Anyone unable to log on to their application progress system? My college net ID is right, and I've tried every email, but I still get invalid log in .
I've emailed twice over the space of ~4 weeks but I'm not trying to annoy them

Anyone unable to log on to their application progress system? My college net ID is right, and I've tried every email, but I still get invalid log in .
I've emailed twice over the space of ~4 weeks but I'm not trying to annoy them

I am able to log onto mine.

Did anyone receive an email to fill out the SC residency petition form? I just became a resident 12 months ago and have my interview invite but confused as to why I was just asked to fill out the proof of residency form.

I am able to log onto mine.

Did anyone receive an email to fill out the SC residency petition form? I just became a resident 12 months ago and have my interview invite but confused as to why I was just asked to fill out the proof of residency form.
My bet is it's got something to do with being a resident for only 12 months. May not be in whatever verification system they use just yet. Maybe.

My bet is it's got something to do with being a resident for only 12 months. May not be in whatever verification system they use just yet. Maybe.

Ah, that seems like a possibility. Did you contact the office of enrollment management about your online status? Maybe they could help you out.

Ah, that seems like a possibility. Did you contact the office of enrollment management about your online status? Maybe they could help you out.

Yeah, OEM said they don't handle it (though the gateway says they do), and that they forwarded the email to M.D. admissions. Waited a while and then followed up with the admissions worker they forwarded it to. That was about two days ago.

I figure either way I'll get an email with any status change, unless they use the portal to reject you. If that's the case then maybe I don't want to log on.

Yeah, OEM said they don't handle it (though the gateway says they do), and that they forwarded the email to M.D. admissions. Waited a while and then followed up with the admissions worker they forwarded it to. That was about two days ago.

I figure either way I'll get an email with any status change, unless they use the portal to reject you. If that's the case then maybe I don't want to log on.

I believe they do it all communication such as interviews or rejections through email judging from application threads of past years.