2018-2019 Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even worth applying here as OOS without strong ties to SC?

Is it even worth applying here as OOS without strong ties to SC?
I went to school a few minutes away from MUSC. To be honest, probably not. Unless you're applying to MD/PhD or something. The OOS fellas I've seen have either did a masters at the school or had some other significant connection to SC. Maybe if you're high stat from a nearby state.. but then why come here?

Reactions: 1 user
Question on the connection to SC. It looks like MUSC doesn't send out secondaries, so how do they determine a close connection? I was born in Charleston, had surgery at MUSC as an adolescent even though I lived OOS, my dad is an MUSC grad for pharmacy, and I was married in Charleston.

Question on the connection to SC. It looks like MUSC doesn't send out secondaries, so how do they determine a close connection? I was born in Charleston, had surgery at MUSC as an adolescent even though I lived OOS, my dad is an MUSC grad for pharmacy, and I was married in Charleston.

They do send out secondaries, it hasn’t come yet, though. If you are OOS then on your secondary you are asked what your ties are.

They do send out secondaries, it hasn’t come yet, though. If you are OOS then on your secondary you are asked what your ties are.

Thanks! I was going through last years MUSC board and saw that, just seems like there are no traditional essays. I am hoping that my background is "strong ties" for them. I have a pretty strong MCAT score so I hope that opens doors for me as OOS.

Thanks! I was going through last years MUSC board and saw that, just seems like there are no traditional essays. I am hoping that my background is "strong ties" for them. I have a pretty strong MCAT score so I hope that opens doors for me as OOS.

Sure thing! Yea there are no real essays, they just ask what your ties are if OOS. I’m not sure what qualifies as close ties but if I were out of state I would apply if I were you, especially with a strong mcat! I’d imagine being born there and everything else qualifies as close ties haha

Does my wife already looking at houses in downtown Charleston once we "make it" answer it lol
Spin it how you will, but I really think that that's what they're getting after. 'If we train you in SC, will it benefit our state or not"

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M1 here! ask me anything about the app cycle.. because thats all I can offer so far lol

Incoming M1 here! ask me anything about the app cycle.. because thats all I can offer so far lol
Out of curiosity, where do most students live? Thanks for being here!

I received my secondary and submitted today as well. Good luck everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor

Out of curiosity, where do most students live? Thanks for being here!

Most people look like they're living either downtown in walking distance, west ashley, or james island.

Received secondary yesterday. Hoping to have submitted by the weekend. ED as well.

My secondary was in my spam folder. Be sure to check there if you don't have it already.

Reactions: 2 users
So growing up, my family had another home in South Carolina. We'd go visit it pretty much every chance we got on breaks and vacations. No clue if this counts as ties to the state of South Carolina. Is it worth a shot to apply?

Can you post the prompts, please?

There are no prompts really. There's a form you answer some basic questions and then If you are in state, you just fill out a demographics form and there is one question asking what experiences make you a unique student and they give you a couple lines to use but say you can attach an extra page if you want. If you are out of state, you submit a word document explaining your close ties to the state.

So growing up, my family had another home in South Carolina. We'd go visit it pretty much every chance we got on breaks and vacations. No clue if this counts as ties to the state of South Carolina. Is it worth a shot to apply?

They say they consider ties as having lived in the state or having relatives who live there. If you like MUSC I'd probably go for it.

Did any OOSer's who submitted their close ties get a confirmation or anything back from the admissions team saying they received it?

Did any OOSer's who submitted their close ties get a confirmation or anything back from the admissions team saying they received it?
Just the auto -email saying a paid and submitted.

Did anyone with the fee assistance program email admissions to get your secondary fee waived? I emailed a few days ago and haven't heard back.

Also an incoming M1 and happy to answer any questions you all may have

What made you choose MUSC?
There was not purely one reason, however, I think that one of the primary reasons is because MUSC felt like home during my interview day and more so during Second Look Day. MUSC tries hard to make each of their candidates, acceptees, matriculants, and students feel welcome and valued, and when deciding which school to attend, the family feel that MUSC portrays was a chief contributing factor.

There was not purely one reason, however, I think that one of the primary reasons is because MUSC felt like home during my interview day and more so during Second Look Day. MUSC tries hard to make each of their candidates, acceptees, matriculants, and students feel welcome and valued, and when deciding which school to attend, the family feel that MUSC portrays was a chief contributing factor.

Did you also attend an interview at USC Greenville? How did you compare the two schools (and decide which to attend if you were offered acceptances to both)?

I did attend an interview at Greenville and was waitlisted. Once I received my acceptance to MUSC, I withdrew from Greenville. I thought that Greenville was a great school while interviewing, and was very impressed with their progress since opening the campus. However, Greenville did not feel like as good of a fit for me when comparing post-interview feelings and analysis. That being said, Greenville may end up being the better fit for you. I honestly did not think MUSC would have the impression it did on me prior to my interview there. When you find the school where you belong, trust me, you will know and feel it.

Did anyone with the fee assistance program email admissions to get your secondary fee waived? I emailed a few days ago and haven't heard back.

Same here. Emailed earlier this week, but haven't heard anything back. Are you IS or OOS?

Same here. Emailed earlier this week, but haven't heard anything back. Are you IS or OOS?
IS. Really concerned because I wanted to submit my secondary ASAP. Just waiting on this waiver.

Is there a character limit to the questions on the in-state demographics form questions?

Is there a character limit to the questions on the in-state demographics form questions?

Don’t believe so. You can attach an extra page or 2 to further answer any of the questions. That’s the only limit I’m aware of

Don’t believe so. You can attach an extra page or 2 to further answer any of the questions. That’s the only limit I’m aware of
Great! Thanks! just trying to find a balance. Probably going to make it about the length of an experience on AMCAS

Thanks, I hear you. I'm out OOS, but with ties to SC. Hoping for the waiver...
I’m a reapplicant and I got it last year but it only took like 5 days to hear back from them and get the waiver code. I’ll keep you updated when I hear back!

What made you choose MUSC?
I was accepted to both Greenville and MUSC and chose MUSC because I felt the school was a better fit for me. I highly valued MUSC's research capabilities, the curriculum, and overall style of education as more conducive to my success. If you are fortunate enough to be able to choose, I recommend choosing where you see yourself being most happy and in an environment that is specifically good for you. Both are excellent schools with different focuses and curricula and you really just need to parse out where you feel you will have the easiest time succeeding.

IS. Really concerned because I wanted to submit my secondary ASAP. Just waiting on this waiver.
Same. I called them and they said they would reply to emails in the order they were sent. It's been a few days for me.