2018-2019 Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matriculated Student here.

For those who have not received the secondary, shoot the admissions office an email asking for it. Sometimes they have trouble sending secondaries to specific schools email addresses.

The stats of the accepted class:

Average mcat :511
Average cgpa:3.64
Average sgpa: 3.56
last year: 53 total students matriculated, 97 accepted, approx 300 interviewed of 1900+ Apps.

Good luck. Ill check this once a week or so to answer any questions you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Why are they gonna make me fill out a secondary now D; received today verified in June

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Mine wasn’t...

Yeah I just double checked. I emailed them after asking if I had to pay, since the portal was different from a lot of other schools.

I got an email back that said

“Thank you for your interest in the Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine. We have received your secondary application, the fee waiver has been processed. If you have any additional questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best of Luck!!”

Reactions: 1 user
OOS just got the secondary. Is it too late to submit?

Anyone heard about interviews? Im past 3 weeks of secondary submission without a peep from them

Anyone heard about interviews? Im past 3 weeks of secondary submission without a peep from them
Me too - I called them last week and they said it would take longer than 3 weeks - so the email is probably more of a formality and not too accurate

I don't know about y'all but they're lucky if they get ~2500 characters outta me for some of these. This is Secondary #26 I'm workin' on, here!

Reactions: 2 users
I've had this secondary for a week and everytime I try to start it I want to explode and just do another school, lmao.

any reapplicants to nsu here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about y'all but they're lucky if they get ~2500 characters outta me for some of these. This is Secondary #26 I'm workin' on, here!
I think it really depends on the prompt. The personal ones I feel like I could write more for the rest not so much.

I think This was secondary #30/31 for me lol

Just added this school after initially deciding not to...this is #26 for me and being a FL resident, I literally feel like I'm being murdered by my own state lol

I spoke with the Assistant Dean of Admissions and he said the average MCAT score of the previous class was 511/512

So for the "beyond the traditional academic work" what're people talking about? Kind of confused by this question. Is research appropriate to talk about? Or is it asking for us to describe our clinical volunteering?

Plz help

So for the "beyond the traditional academic work" what're people talking about? Kind of confused by this question. Is research appropriate to talk about? Or is it asking for us to describe our clinical volunteering?

Plz help
I took it to mean what classes and work did you do that went beyond the traditional pre-med workload. I included research as well but did not focus on it as much. I really think it all depends on how you phrase it.

Also an MS1 here, and I'm open to any questions you have about the school (within reason obvi). Good luck everyone, remember to stop and breathe often throughout this process. It's a long one and it's only just beginning :) enjoy your life outside of the application process

Just received the secondary. Time to tackle this beast.

How did you guys answer the first two questions? They seem pretty similar to me.

How did you guys answer the first two questions? They seem pretty similar to me.
I talked about an emergency situation for the first and described some expeirences that needed me to use PBL type techniques for the second

Agreed. I have the first one answered but I feel like I could use the exact same answer for the 2nd one lol

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. I have the first one answered but I feel like I could use the exact same answer for the 2nd one lol
Yeah I don’t really even know where to start. This has been the most confusing application I’ve done. Probably because I’ve akready done 25+ and I feel burnt out. I can’t think

People receiving II and I am still working on this beast. Been over a month now :slap:

Also an MS1 here, and I'm open to any questions you have about the school (within reason obvi). Good luck everyone, remember to stop and breathe often throughout this process. It's a long one and it's only just beginning :) enjoy your life outside of the application process
Are you willing to host an interviewee?

For those who have not received the secondary, shoot the admissions office an email asking for it. Sometimes they have trouble sending secondaries to specific schools email addresses.

last year: 53 total students matriculated, 97 accepted, approx 300 interviewed of 1900+ Apps.

Are you willing to host an interviewee

Someone asked before, but I didn't see a reply... How much detail did you all go into for the employment question? The descriptions of the experiences are in AMCAS and I don't want to be repetitive, so wasn't sure what exactly they wanted

Someone asked before, but I didn't see a reply... How much detail did you all go into for the employment question? The descriptions of the experiences are in AMCAS and I don't want to be repetitive, so wasn't sure what exactly they wanted

I gave a couple sentences for each- 1st for how long I worked and the other for what i did/learned

II for 9/21, LM 71, complete 7/16, IS

congrats to those with II. Has anybody received a formal rejection from this school?

I'm still waiting on AMCAS verification lol. But does anyone know what the cut off is for the secondary screening? Congrats to everyone who received an II :)

Hi
If you don't mind, could you tell us internet people what you think of the school, being the first matriculated class? I really love what I see about the school from their website based on their research opportunities and their mission. How do you find the PBL environment? How was the transition from undergrad to med school for the MS1 students? I have so many questions that I would love to discuss with you.

Thank you for your input! I look forward to your response.

1. I really love the school. The admins/faculty are truly welcoming and seriously seem to know what they’re doing. Although the curriculum is new, it is not untested and draws from other successful established medical schools.

2. We are just getting eased into PBL now, but I personally love the style. They are also incorporating some lecture, so it is not 100% PBL, but it is about 60/40 PBL/Lecture. It’s a really awesome way to get engaged into the learning instead of just memorizing facts (although we will have to do this too).

3. We are still undergoing the transition, so it’s hard to tell. We have our syllabus for our first “fundamentals” block and it is pretty intense. That being said, I’m confident our teaching/support faculty are going to help get us through it, granted we work our butts off.

I can say that everyone in our class is pretty awesome. We are all very different, yet share many similarities. One thing I have noticed is that while we range from introverted-extroverted, literally every single person is well-spoken and able to think quickly and meaningfully contribute to conversation. I don’t think that is just a coincidence. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to everyone! NSU MD is pretty cool

Reactions: 5 users
"Are you the first person in your immediate family to earn a baccalaureate degree?"

Is this including siblings? Normally questions about first-generation exclude siblings, but I think this one wants them considered, correct?

does anyone know if the school has any plans to increase its class size or is it going to remain around 50-60?

Any idea what the range of MCAT scores was like? Did they take a fairly wide range, or was it all clustered around 510-511? Just wondering if I have a shot here with a 507-509

To the people that got interviews (congrats!!!!) and would you mind sharing your stats? Trying to figure out where I stand with this school :).

Reactions: 1 users
Sitting in my hotel room for my interview with NOVA DO tomorrow and I got the email for an interview here!

Reactions: 6 users
How disorganized does it seem being it is a new program? Just general comments about it would be nice. Thanks ahead of time :)

How long did it take everyone to receive a secondary app? My primary has been verified for two weeks now and I'm wondering if I should send admissions an email...
6 weeks... I'm not bitter or anything