2021-2022 Nova Southeastern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @hello_2311_ for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Nova Southeastern Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a Problem Based Learning environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  3. At NSU M.D., we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone receive the secondary application for this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 IS received
  1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a Problem Based Learning environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  3. At NSU M.D., we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

+1 IS received
Sorry everyone I am at work but I can confirm these prompts are correct!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or are questions 1 and 2 asking pretty much the same thing?

Is it just me or are questions 1 and 2 asking pretty much the same thing?
I'm interpreting the first as how you work in a team and the second as how you've stepped up as a leader (or team member) to solve a specific problem.

+1 IS received
when did you submit your application?

What are you guys considering to be a "service learning activity". Is this referring to EC's?

Are you all using all 4000 characters on most of these?

Got the complete email, submitted secondary yesterday.

Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain.

Do they just want to know what we did, aka a regurgitation of our work/activities section?

thanks everyone! good luck.

so many questions omg. why are all FL schools like this??

Got secondary today, OOS; question: What is Q4 asking for?
I am wondering the same

I believe the question is twofold - the first part asks about coursework that has "prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine", i.e. psychology, sociology, humanities...

The second part of the question then asks: "Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine." - I believe this is asking you to talk about your extracurriculars.

I think this is how this question is set up, regardless it is a fairly convoluted way to ask 2 otherwise simple questions

would a straightforward answer for the employment question be enough or are they wanting us to be more reflective?

OOS received secondary today. if it helps my gpa is much lower than their average but my MCAT is much higher than their average.

I submitted the application and at the end, it prompted me to enter my credit card info. Now, I have FAP and they said that if you have FAP you're not required to make any payment. So I guess I am just confirming this because this is the first school where they gave me the option to enter my payment info and did not automatically waive, and I didn't get any confirmation email that my app was complete.

I submitted the application and at the end, it prompted me to enter my credit card info. Now, I have FAP and they said that if you have FAP you're not required to make any payment. So I guess I am just confirming this because this is the first school where they gave me the option to enter my payment info and did not automatically waive, and I didn't get any confirmation email that my app was complete.
Yeah I was in the same boat so I emailed. They don't send a complete email out, they just told me not to pay and that they've received my secondary and that it was under review

For those who worked during college/grad did yall just give a brief description or essay format?

Did you figure this out? How did you tackle this?
this is how i read it:
#1 is working in a team towards a goal and overcoming challenges to that goal as a team, going forward and taking new ground
#2 is solving a specific problem in a team setting, going back and fixing it together

everest analogy: 😂
#1: you're climbing Everest in a team; what do you do when the ground gets slippery or the team gets tired?
#2: what do you do when you realize 5,000 ft up your team left the oxygen tanks at base camp?

they seem differently nuanced to me and it would make sense that they're trying to see if you can a) pick up on that and b) how you've illustrated that in your experiences.

for #1 i talked about the team i worked with in my research/publications and how we overcame challenges in the peer review process
for #2 i talked about working in a team setting with kids addressing specific behavioral challenges of students as a part of my community service work

Reactions: 1 users
How many characters are you all using? 4000 characters is one of the longest ones i've seen lol.

Did you guys just use a list for this question, or did you actually reflect on experiences? Could use some help here.

Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain.
i think it depends on what you feel like you need to say. if you feel that employment experience is valuable and want to expound on your experiences in a way you haven't been able in other parts of your secondary, then i think its a good idea to "please explain" like it says... if you've already written a bunch about what you learned from that employment or you feel its inconsequential, than maybe list? i think either way its important not to just list (unless it specifies too) because its faster to list than type up a paragraph. if you feel like you have something you want to add there that is valuable, i think its worth the extra hour or so to write up something thats meaningful. but thats entirely up to you!

Anyone still waiting on secondaries? I submitted primary around 10 days ago.

Are you verified? Takes a while to get verified, especially if you submitted AMCAS 10 days ago....
I submitted my verified application to Nova Southeastern 10 days ago.

Reactions: 1 users