2018-2019 Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

We just finished our professional immersion and started classes today. ANDDDD It begins. So far I've been very impressed about how on top of their game they seem to be running things. My classmates are amazing and PBLs are interesting (so far). You will really really like PBL once you start doing them. Will let you know how the first test goes in a few weeks or so. If you haven't got a secondary, maybe send them an email. I think they send them to everyone although I'm not sure.

What are caveats of this school and of new MD programs in general? Honestly I’m vying really hard for FL schools and am from the Southeast outside of FL. The curriculum and location here make me a fan.

Also what are the research opportunities like @JohnJacobJungler?

Location is pretty prime.

As far as research goes, they are building their research program and it is integrated in the curriculum (ideal placement is the summer of M1 year). I just spoke with their research faculty today. Lots of cancer stuff and they have research projects affiliated with a hospital (I forget which one), running clinical trials. Not my ideal type of research, however you can do your project anywhere and will try to make things happen for you to meet the right people you need to meet. So far, very supportive of students research endeavors.

Are you willing to host an interviewee

PM Me.

How disorganized does it seem being it is a new program? Just general comments about it would be nice. Thanks ahead of time :)

Not at all. Small hick-ups, mainly with technology (the whole university just started using canvas this year) and using the iPads. I normally took notes by hand, so orienting myself to the new apps and stuff is slightly difficult for me. My technology inclined classmates are very helpful though! They have greatly exceeded my expectations thus far.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting secondary? I just submitted but didnt get any confirmation

Members don't see this ad :)
How disorganized does it seem being it is a new program? Just general comments about it would be nice. Thanks ahead of time :)

To echo @JohnJacobJungler , it's not very disorganized. There are very minor hiccups here and there (totally expected), but nothing serious thus far. We have some honestly amazing faculty and support staff who know their stuff. Most of the staff seems to have experience in medical education, and it doesn't feel as "guinea-pig"-like as I figured it would thus far.

We are getting into our Fundamentals block now, and the workload is looking to be challenging but manageable with hard work.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please send the prompts for this secondary? Thanks!

II this morning! I submitted my secondary 8/8.

IS, URM, LM ~67

Reactions: 4 users
How long did it take everyone to receive a secondary app? My primary has been verified for two weeks now and I'm wondering if I should send admissions an email...

I submitted primary to Nova after my app was verified and received a secondary within the next day so maybe shoot them an email? (considering if everyone gets a secondary)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Nova send post secondary rejections during the cycle or just at the end? If anyone knows (they said 2-3 weeks to determine candidacy but I dont know how accurate that is)

Does anyone who received an interview mind sharing their stats? It would help paint a better picture of what they're looking for since there were no numbers on MSAR!

Does anyone who received an interview mind sharing their stats? It would help paint a better picture of what they're looking for since there were no numbers on MSAR!
Does anyone who received an interview mind sharing their stats? It would help paint a better picture of what they're looking for since there were no numbers o

"Our average MCAT 511 / GPA (both science and cumulative) 3.6"

Our average MCAT 511 / GPA (both science and cumulative) 3.6

507/3.77 (amcas gpa), URM

Can we stay with M1 students the night before our interview? Some schools do that

Can we stay with M1 students the night before our interview? Some schools do that
Also wondering this, I have an interview September 21st and need somewhere to stay the night before

Also looking for a student to host me...my interview is September 7th!

Also wondering this, I have an interview September 21st and need somewhere to stay the night before

I would reach out to the student affairs office and ask them; I think they’d probably send out an email to the students asking if anyone could accommodate

Reactions: 2 users

That's the day we have our first exam. So I would book a hotel or airbnb just incase no one is willing to host. The holiday inn Express on university is pretty gross, don't stay there.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

That's the day we have our first exam. So I would book a hotel or airbnb just incase no one is willing to host. The holiday inn Express on university is pretty gross, don't stay there.

Congratulations and Good Luck!
What about the Holiday Inn Express on Davie Road?

What about the Holiday Inn Express on Davie Road?

Google Maps

I stayed here for my interview and it was great. Totally recommend. I wouldn't count on having us students host the majority of you guys, there are only 53 of us and not many of us have an extra bedroom laying around :D

Google Maps

I stayed here for my interview and it was great. Totally recommend. I wouldn't count on having us students host the majority of you guys, there are only 53 of us and not many of us have an extra bedroom laying around :D

How was your interview experience??

Google Maps

Cool, that was the one I was looking at!

How was your interview experience??

It was pretty awesome. It was my first and only MMI experience, and I can actually say I preferred that style vs. the 1on1 interview experience of most medical school admissions programs. Everyone was totally welcoming, and I left interview day excited about the possibility of attending.

Reactions: 2 users
It was pretty awesome. It was my first and only MMI experience, and I can actually say I preferred that style vs. the 1on1 interview experience of most medical school admissions programs. Everyone was totally welcoming, and I left interview day excited about the possibility of attending.
I'm so glad to hear this!

Has there been any recent activity in terms of invities? Does anyone know if Nova goes in order or completion or is it random?

For the non-MMI portion, what did they focus on? your app? Secondary or everything

Holiday Inn on Davie Rd is one of the better hotels to stay at. On the cheaper side, and very close to the school.

Interested to hear what NSU MD’s plan for rotations. The West Palm Beach VA Center is shared with NSU DO. Will all clinical rotations be shared?

Although only in the stage or preliminary accreditation, NSU MD seems like a hidden gem. Especially if all the DO clinical rotation sites (well, at least the Florida ones) are available to NSU MD students.

Could any current students comment on what the plan is for clinical rotations?

Anyone know anyone getting II recently (that havent posted here)

Does anyone know how we can answer the last question about if we believe we are URM? im white, but i feel hat i do belong to an URM group as my family immigrated here from a communist country with little money or education. And no, im not disadvantaged.

Does anyone know how we can answer the last question about if we believe we are URM? im white, but i feel hat i do belong to an URM group as my family immigrated here from a communist country with little money or education. And no, im not disadvantaged.

I think this might tie better into a diversity essay, but white individuals are by no means under-represented in medicine

I think this might tie better into a diversity essay, but white individuals are by no means under-represented in medicine
Being first generation and coming from a low SES could arguably be used to say someone is under-represented in medicine

Being first generation and coming from a low SES could arguably be used to say someone is under-represented in medicine
I dont necessarily agree with the practice, but in my opinion, I wouldnt go this route. I think the meaning of URM is pretty clear cut with meaning nonwhite/over represented minority and trying to angle his way in might just come off bad. Just my opinion

I dont necessarily agree with the practice, but in my opinion, I wouldnt go this route. I think the meaning of URM is pretty clear cut with meaning nonwhite/over represented minority and trying to angle his way in might just come off bad. Just my opinion
*Meant URM is not white/over represented minority