2018-2019 Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how we can answer the last question about if we believe we are URM? im white, but i feel hat i do belong to an URM group as my family immigrated here from a communist country with little money or education. And no, im not disadvantaged.

I think this might tie better into a diversity essay, but white individuals are by no means under-represented in medicine

Being first generation and coming from a low SES could arguably be used to say someone is under-represented in medicine

I dont necessarily agree with the practice, but in my opinion, I wouldnt go this route. I think the meaning of URM is pretty clear cut with meaning nonwhite/over represented minority and trying to angle his way in might just come off bad. Just my opinion

It’s weird that they would even bother asking this question. If they only were concerned about race, they could’ve just looked on amcas and found out from that. The fact that they asked this as a 4K character question makes me think any form of under representation counts as long as it fits what aamc calls urm. I don’t think I answered this question but that’s more becuase my diversity essay and others already touched on it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s weird that they would even bother asking this question. If they only were concerned about race, they could’ve just looked on amcas and found out from that. The fact that they asked this as a 4K character question makes me think any form of under representation counts as long as it fits what aamc calls urm. I don’t think I answered this question but that’s more becuase my diversity essay and others already touched on it
Exactly! and the fact that they ask "Do you consider yourself?" I would say yes because as we're all learning now being poor definitely does not help when it comes time to book flights, hotels etc. Being first-gen and learning the pre-med route on your own for the most part is no easy task either. Now I'm not saying write them a sob story but providing context for your accomplishments definitely helps. A 3.8 GPA from a student who comes from a wealthy family might not hold the same weight as a student with a 3.8 GPA who had to work throughout undergrad. Just my opinion on the response. Its ultimately up to you

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same issue with that prompt, although I’m not an URM, I definitely consider myself part of a group that is under represented in medicine (poor people) but ultimately I just used the AAMC definition of URM which I found to be linked to race/ethnicity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
For what its worth, the AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

However, I can see where everyone is coming from.

Hello,

We just finished our professional immersion and started classes today. ANDDDD It begins. So far I've been very impressed about how on top of their game they seem to be running things. My classmates are amazing and PBLs are interesting (so far). You will really really like PBL once you start doing them. Will let you know how the first test goes in a few weeks or so. If you haven't got a secondary, maybe send them an email. I think they send them to everyone although I'm not sure.

Location is pretty prime.

As far as research goes, they are building their research program and it is integrated in the curriculum (ideal placement is the summer of M1 year). I just spoke with their research faculty today. Lots of cancer stuff and they have research projects affiliated with a hospital (I forget which one), running clinical trials. Not my ideal type of research, however you can do your project anywhere and will try to make things happen for you to meet the right people you need to meet. So far, very supportive of students research endeavors.

PM Me.

Not at all. Small hick-ups, mainly with technology (the whole university just started using canvas this year) and using the iPads. I normally took notes by hand, so orienting myself to the new apps and stuff is slightly difficult for me. My technology inclined classmates are very helpful though! They have greatly exceeded my expectations thus far.

Do you guys have a dress code? I know Nova DO gets to wear scrubs to class. Can you guys wear scrubs too?

I think this might tie better into a diversity essay, but white individuals are by no means under-represented in medicine
Of course white is not URM, if you just lump it into a race definition. I don't see how that is relevant to me, as an individual though.

EDIT: also, nsu doesnt have a diversity essay does it? It just asks for unique perspectives and experiences etc.

Do you guys have a dress code? I know Nova DO gets to wear scrubs to class. Can you guys wear scrubs too?

Yes there is a dress code.
Scrubs only during lab. Default is business casual during lecture, TBL/PBL. Whenever you wear the white coat (so when you see patients, have special guests, etc.) it's business professional.

Hey guys, I'm eligible for FAP and completed my secondary today. However, they still give me the option to pay:

NOTE: If you are eligible for FAP, you are not required to complete the payment.
Please click here to proceed to our payment system

Is my application complete or is it not complete until i pay? I have had several other secondaries waived but I'm not sure if this one is considered completed

Hey guys, I'm eligible for FAP and completed my secondary today. However, they still give me the option to pay:

NOTE: If you are eligible for FAP, you are not required to complete the payment.
Please click here to proceed to our payment system

Is my application complete or is it not complete until i pay? I have had several other secondaries waived but I'm not sure if this one is considered completed
You should be complete but email Admissions to double check

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

For those of you that submitted secondaries, did you receive any conformation emails? I didn't get one, all I got was the screen with payment info and the statement that a decision would be made in 2-3 weeks.

For those of you that submitted secondaries, did you receive any conformation emails? I didn't get one, all I got was the screen with payment info and the statement that a decision would be made in 2-3 weeks.
Yes there is confirmation email. Are you FAP recepient?

The PBL teamwork prompt is giving me a bit of trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am not. Why didnt i get a confirmation email? weird

For some reason its not letting me quote you, 901_Shelby_drive

I submitted 2 days ago. When I go to view my secondary its submitted, but at the top it says "application completion-0%". does it just take some time to complete after payments?

I submitted 2 days ago. When I go to view my secondary its submitted, but at the top it says "application completion-0%". does it just take some time to complete after payments?
I'm fap so I just emailed to get my confirmation

Yes I got a secondary submitted one. Easy way to check is to go through the app again and your responses should be in the boxes

901 Shelby Drive look alive look alive

Thank you both so much :) I finally got an idea of what I needed to write. Anyways, just submitted it!

Matriculated Student here.

For those who have not received the secondary, shoot the admissions office an email asking for it. Sometimes they have trouble sending secondaries to specific schools email addresses.

The stats of the accepted class:

Average mcat :511
Average cgpa:3.64
Average sgpa: 3.56
last year: 53 total students matriculated, 97 accepted, approx 300 interviewed of 1900+ Apps.

Good luck. Ill check this once a week or so to answer any questions you have.
How's interview day here?

any recent II/ how long did it take after completion for people to hear back?

I sent in a secondary and received the confirmation email 7/13. And the email said they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks about my candidacy. No word yet, so should I email the admissions office and see what's up?

I sent in a secondary and received the confirmation email 7/13. And the email said they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks about my candidacy. No word yet, so should I email the admissions office and see what's up?
Submitted/complete before that and nada on my end either. I'm not going to email, but I wouldn't protest if you did haha :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys I just wanted to give a warning and tell you that the 2-3 week timeline they give for a decision should not be taken too seriously. I applied last year when their application opened in October, got the same timeline, and ultimately got a decision in April. I’m not sure why they give this timeline and it can be frustrating, but keep up hope as I believe that their plan is to fill up the class by December so there are still months to go. You can contact the administration and inquire about the 2-3 week decision, but from my experience they give a generic “your decision will come out soon” email. I wouldn’t take this email too seriously either as I got emails like that multiple times over a six month period. Ultimately all you can really do is keep up hope, it’s a brand new school and they’re still trying to figure everything out!!!

Hey guys I just wanted to give a warning and tell you that the 2-3 week timeline they give for a decision should not be taken too seriously. I applied last year when their application opened in October, got the same timeline, and ultimately got a decision in April. I’m not sure why they give this timeline and it can be frustrating, but keep up hope as I believe that their plan is to fill up the class by December so there are still months to go. You can contact the administration and inquire about the 2-3 week decision, but from my experience they give a generic “your decision will come out soon” email. I wouldn’t take this email too seriously either as I got emails like that multiple times over a six month period. Ultimately all you can really do is keep up hope, it’s a brand new school and they’re still trying to figure everything out!!!
Wait they’re gonna fill up the class by December? Is that in terms of sending out II or acceptances?

Wait they’re gonna fill up the class by December? Is that in terms of sending out II or acceptances?

From what I understand the goal is to have the class filled (In terms of acceptances) by December. Now they might not stick to that goal, but I believe that is their thinking currently

Good luck to everyone interviewing Friday! Hopefully this hurricane doesn't mess up our flights