2018-2019 University of Florida

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Second look is not required for accepted applicants right? Also do we have to check the first option on the portal on April 30th or if we're still on a waitlist can we accept the second/third?

Thanks

Second look is not required at all! You don’t have to check the first box until summertime near the start date for UF. @Happymadness
 
Was the match rate this year only 90%? Looks like 121 matched and I’m assuming the class size is ~135.
 
When is second look? I’m sure I’m not the only one on the WL who is curious as to when we can expect movement, if at all!

2nd Look is April 5 and 6. However, most waitlist movement will likely happen after April 15 (when multiple acceptances have to be narrowed down to 3) and April 30 (when 3 acceptances have to be narrowed down to 1, although you can remain on waitlists and also hold a single acceptance after April 30).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a full tuition merit scholarship at another FL state school, but loved UF. Should I let UF know this before aid is given out?

At my interview, they said we could if we were 100% sure we really wanna go to UF. But I think it’s after the offers were made.
 
Hey y'all- So since I can't find this information on their website, I was wondering if any current students had sort of a weekly overview of the schedule at UF they could share. Mostly I want to know how many hours daily/weekly do you spend in lab, lecture, and other courses? What all is mandatory? Is there a sort of weekly schedule that you all follow pretty regularly and if so what is that? Thank you!
 
Hey y'all- So since I can't find this information on their website, I was wondering if any current students had sort of a weekly overview of the schedule at UF they could share. Mostly I want to know how many hours daily/weekly do you spend in lab, lecture, and other courses? What all is mandatory? Is there a sort of weekly schedule that you all follow pretty regularly and if so what is that? Thank you!

Someone sent hers to me on the accepted student's FB page. Maybe you can ask there? It's not mine to repost. That's why.
 
Has anyone who wasn't able to attend second look received information regarding their financial aid award yet?
 
Last edited:
Has anyone who wasn't able to attend second look received information regarding their financial aid award yet?

I spoke with admissions about this today. They said we should receive an email within the next 2 weeks, definitely prior to April 30th.
 
Honestly there probably could possibly be...spoke to people at second look who were considering UF with another school. Alot being Miami.
 
Does UF internally rank for AOA?

Dont think so. See attached. AOA Honor Medical Society inducts new members

Twenty-two UF medical students recently were recognized for their academic prowess, research capabilities and personal character by election to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
As the only national medical honor society, AOA accepts only members from the top 25 percent of their class, based on their grade-point averages from the third-year clinical clerkships. However, academic achievement is not enough to earn an induction.
Only 17 percent of the class can ultimately be elected, so faculty and residents attend a selection meeting to vote for new members based on personal character, humanism, research and service to the class, College of Medicine and community, said Patrick Duff, MD, professor of obstetrics and gynecology and associate dean for student affairs at the College of Medicine.
 
Hello,

Has anyone had any luck getting UF to match scholarship offers from other schools? I have a half-tuition scholarship from another FL school, and the financial aid package that UF offered me is less than that. UF is my #1 choice, and I'm now debating if I should ask them to match, or if that would be asking too much....

I definitely am grateful to be getting any sort of aid.

Thank you in advance!
 
Depends on the school. Dm me

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck getting UF to match scholarship offers from other schools? I have a half-tuition scholarship from another FL school, and the financial aid package that UF offered me is less than that. UF is my #1 choice, and I'm now debating if I should ask them to match, or if that would be asking too much....

I definitely am grateful to be getting any sort of aid.

Thank you in advance!
 
Hello,

Has anyone had any luck getting UF to match scholarship offers from other schools? I have a half-tuition scholarship from another FL school, and the financial aid package that UF offered me is less than that. UF is my #1 choice, and I'm now debating if I should ask them to match, or if that would be asking too much....

I definitely am grateful to be getting any sort of aid.

Thank you in advance!

+1 I received a full tuition scholarship to another FL school. If UF offered me even a fraction of that, it would be enough to commit. Still waiting on my financial aid offer
 
Hello,

Has anyone had any luck getting UF to match scholarship offers from other schools? I have a half-tuition scholarship from another FL school, and the financial aid package that UF offered me is less than that. UF is my #1 choice, and I'm now debating if I should ask them to match, or if that would be asking too much....

I definitely am grateful to be getting any sort of aid.

Thank you in advance!

A med student at the Second Look told me they were able to match their offer. Ofc idk how much it was but it's worth a shot especially if you're really interested in matriculating here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke to admissions for a while today and I was told this year more people accepted when it came to the commit deadline than previous years, and more than they expected, the word used was "oversubscribed". Thus, they have not gotten and won't get to the waitlist for a while and if so we should expect very little waitlist movement this cycle. They said nothing over the next few weeks and if anything expect to hear back rejections when they finally get together to discuss the top waitlist applicants and choose from there. On top of that, they are looking at the medical honors students as well. I had trouble mentally committing to my other school, I won't lose hope but it is fair to say you should start getting ready for medical school elsewhere. HOWEVER, that could have easily been something to tell me nicely that I am going to get rejected and just me and maybe it's not the truth and everyone else has a chance, and I was just the literal last on the waitlist. She was very kind and honest and I appreciated it.
 
I spoke to admissions for a while today and I was told this year more people accepted when it came to the commit deadline than previous years, and more than they expected, the word used was "oversubscribed". Thus, they have not gotten and won't get to the waitlist for a while and if so we should expect very little waitlist movement this cycle. They said nothing over the next few weeks and if anything expect to hear back rejections when they finally get together to discuss the top waitlist applicants and choose from there. On top of that, they are looking at the medical honors students as well. I had trouble mentally committing to my other school, I won't lose hope but it is fair to say you should start getting ready for medical school elsewhere. HOWEVER, that could have easily been something to tell me nicely that I am going to get rejected and just me and maybe it's not the truth and everyone else has a chance, and I was just the literal last on the waitlist. She was very kind and honest and I appreciated it.

This is such a bummer [emoji20] but I appreciate the info.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke to admissions for a while today and I was told this year more people accepted when it came to the commit deadline than previous years, and more than they expected, the word used was "oversubscribed". Thus, they have not gotten and won't get to the waitlist for a while and if so we should expect very little waitlist movement this cycle. They said nothing over the next few weeks and if anything expect to hear back rejections when they finally get together to discuss the top waitlist applicants and choose from there. On top of that, they are looking at the medical honors students as well. I had trouble mentally committing to my other school, I won't lose hope but it is fair to say you should start getting ready for medical school elsewhere. HOWEVER, that could have easily been something to tell me nicely that I am going to get rejected and just me and maybe it's not the truth and everyone else has a chance, and I was just the literal last on the waitlist. She was very kind and honest and I appreciated it.

How did you know you were last on the waitlist, she tell you your position?
 
When I asked about my position on the WL, they just said that the bottom half of the waitlist is getting an R soon. They did not tell me exactly where I was.