This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, and most of us, am/are not pursuing this so I can win a gold medal and adorn myself and achieve something (which is fair), I want to provide treatment and compassionate care to the suffering. Yes it takes a lot of sacrifice and commitment, and I chose that sacrifice and commitment, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't maintain respect and dignity for applicants, med students, physicians who often live to serve and suffer from this process. The process may or may not be fair, but can it be better and more compassionate (as compassionate as expected by the higher ups)? probably.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
@gyngyn After doing some self-reflecting, receiving feedback, and following your advice, I've completed my reapp. Brand new essay, edited my works and activities to include new experiences and present myself better, and received updated letters of rec. I received multiple interviews last year, here's to hoping for an even better cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
Part of me wants to drink, stay up very late, and wake up at 5 pm tomorrow so I don’t have to keep checking my email anxiously all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Part of me wants to drink, stay up very late, and wake up at 5 pm tomorrow so I don’t have to keep checking my email anxiously all day.
you got an A already dude. No need to be anxious

Reactions: 9 users
Just got an email saying "though waitlist movement has slowed, there may be additional movement" from my school. Trying to remain positive that there will be more movement through the next couple CTE's.

Reactions: 13 users
Just got an email saying "though waitlist movement has slowed, there may be additional movement" from my school. Trying to remain positive that there will be more movement through the next couple CTE's.

......which school

has slowed? did it ever even really move that quickly? lol lets be honest, I think WL movement has been seriously messed up following the rule changes

I think they Like you !!! I think that’s a good sign

Reactions: 1 users
I think they Like you !!! I think that’s a good sign
I think it might've been a WL-wide email but that is a nice positive spin so thank you haha.

Reactions: 7 users
I just want my WL to ole yeller me so I can stop refreshing these pages :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
I just want my WL to ole yeller me so I can stop refreshing these pages :laugh:
Lmao I lowkey love this thread bc of the support but also hate it bc I waste so much of my time refreshing it xD love-hate relationship. Y'all are the best tho

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn can I ask the school I'm accepted at if I can get an extension if the school I'm waitlisted at has the same CTE deadline and I'd be giving up free tuition. Would they accept that as a valid reason to ask for an extension? Would I be risking rescinding my acceptance? What is the best way to go about doing this? Phone? Email? Written letter?

@gyngyn can I ask the school I'm accepted at if I can get an extension if the school I'm waitlisted at has the same CTE deadline and I'd be giving up free tuition. Would they accept that as a valid reason to ask for an extension? Would I be risking rescinding my acceptance? What is the best way to go about doing this? Phone? Email? Written letter?
You want to ask the school that has accepted you for an extension because you are holding out for another school where you are on the WL?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
You want to ask the school that has accepted you for an extension because you are holding out for another school where you are on the WL?
Yes, for financial reasons (free tuition). Would they rescind my acceptance for this? Is this a really bad idea?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, for financial reasons (free tuition). Would they rescind my acceptance for this? Is this a really bad idea?

I totally feel you on this. Truth be told, finances rule many of our decisions and hopes, ultimately. but did the tone of gyngyn's post not answer this question for you? You're better off telling your waitlist school that you have another acceptance that you would drop immediately if you were accepted there.

Reactions: 4 users
I totally feel you on this. Truth be told, finances rule many of our decisions and hopes, ultimately. but did the tone of gyngyn's post not answer this question for you? You're better off telling your waitlist school that you have another acceptance that you would drop immediately if you were accepted there.
I understand that there is a 99% chance they will say no, but my question is will they rescind my acceptance for asking. If not, I figure it's worth a shot. For my waitlisted school, I've sent them a letter of intent and 3 update letters. There is literally nothing else I can do.

I understand that there is a 99% chance they will say no, but my question is will they rescind my acceptance for asking. If not, I figure it's worth a shot. For my waitlisted school, I've sent them a letter of intent and 3 update letters. There is literally nothing else I can do.
ask to schedule a phone call with the dean of your dream school and explain your situation, why its your dream school. If they say no still then withdraw your app and take your A elsewhere. Honestly, you have nothing to lose by doing that and everything to gain, whats the worst they can say, no?

ask to schedule a phone call with the dean of your dream school and explain your situation, why its your dream school. If they say no still then withdraw your app and take your A elsewhere. Honestly, you have nothing to lose by doing that and everything to gain, whats the worst they can say, no?
You can do that?? I did not know that.

Do not do this especially since they have the SAME CTE deadline. You have nothing to gain and possibly a lot to lose. If you must, wait to commit to your school of acceptance until the CTE deadline.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, it looks like the general consensus is not to do it. Noted. I will ask my waitlisted school if I can schedule a meeting with the dean of admissions to plead my case, however.

Ok, it looks like the general consensus is not to do it. Noted. I will ask my waitlisted school if I can schedule a meeting with the dean of admissions to plead my case, however.

I was wondering if this is effective? If you get a meeting, do you go down to the school to meet with the dean in person? I just received a canned "you're still on the waitlist and we probably won't see movement until later" response when I sent in my last hail mary LOI to my waitlisted school but going to my waitlist has a lot of personal (only family lives in same area) and a huge financial incentive for me as well due to tuition cost difference. My CTE date is rapidly approaching and I think the CTE for my waitlisted school has already passed so I'm not quite sure what the hold up is either.

I was wondering if this is effective? If you get a meeting, do you go down to the school to meet with the dean in person? I just received a canned "you're still on the waitlist and we probably won't see movement until later" response when I sent in my last hail mary LOI to my waitlisted school but going to my waitlist has a lot of personal (only family lives in same area) and a huge financial incentive for me as well due to tuition cost difference. My CTE date is rapidly approaching and I think the CTE for my waitlisted school has already passed so I'm not quite sure what the hold up is either.
Honestly, for a chance (however small) at free tuition, I would fly all the way back to NY in a heartbeat...

I feel like it’d be an in person meeting or meeting over the phone.

Honestly, for a chance (however small) at free tuition, I would fly all the way back to NY in a heartbeat...
Agreed. I hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated as I may be inclined to try the same thing if I do not hear within the next 2 weeks.

I'm currently waitlisted at 2 schools. 1 of my schools CTE deadline has passed and there is still no reported waitlist movement on SDN. Do you guys think this means my school is done with waitlist movement?

I'm currently waitlisted at 2 schools. 1 of my schools CTE deadline has passed and there is still no reported waitlist movement on SDN. Do you guys think this means my school is done with waitlist movement?
probably, unless someone is poached, which is unlikely

Tough to say. I've seen some post on here that their school has either 1. pushed their CTE deadline back or 2. sent emails essentially stating they expect movement to occur later after more CTE deadlines have passed

unrelated question: if you had sent in a transcript but now need to update it to be in line with what you have put into your course work section does AMCAS let you send in a new transcript?

probably, unless someone is poached, which is unlikely
Tough to say. I've seen some post on here that their school has either 1. pushed their CTE deadline back or 2. sent emails essentially stating they expect movement to occur later after more CTE deadlines have passed

@gyngyn Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!!

can I ask the school I'm accepted at if I can get an extension if the school I'm waitlisted at has the same CTE deadline and I'd be giving up free tuition. Would they accept that as a valid reason to ask for an extension? Would I be risking rescinding my acceptance? What is the best way to go about doing this? Phone? Email? Written letter?
I agree with this. @confusedpremed12345 , you should contact your dream school to inform them of your upcoming CTE deadline, reiterate that you would commit to enroll at their school if given the opportunity, insert any important info (e.g SO in the area, etc), and hope for the best. If you don't hear back positive news from them, then commit to enroll at the acceptance you have and move on.

I agree with this. @confusedpremed12345 , you should contact your dream school to inform them of your upcoming CTE deadline, reiterate that you would commit to enroll at their school if given the opportunity, insert any important info (e.g SO in the area, etc), and hope for the best. If you don't hear back positive news from them, then commit to enroll at the acceptance you have and move on.
yes, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.