This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what was the thing before PTE where you were allowed 3A and all WL?
I think the official term is "AAMC nonsense"

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Crickets over at my school's thread. Question: my school has solidified a waitlist and I've been thinking about sending in my updated transcript and a short LOI. Do you think that'll make a difference? Or is it just Hail Mary at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all of the speculation is counter-productive. If I'm going to get in off the WL, I'll find out anyway when the email is in my inbox. In the meantime, it's better to put your energy into a reapplication. Any WL acceptance is just a nice surprise.

Reactions: 3 users
Crickets over at my school's thread. Question: my school has solidified a waitlist and I've been thinking about sending in my updated transcript and a short LOI. Do you think that'll make a difference? Or is it just Hail Mary at this point?

Who knows if it will make a difference but it probably won't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
one school i know doesn't care about LOIs and transcripts at this point don't change anything.

I think all of the speculation is counter-productive. If I'm going to get in off the WL, I'll find out anyway when the email is in my inbox. In the meantime, it's better to put your energy into a reapplication. Any WL acceptance is just a nice surprise.
You're about 111 pages too late on this

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Yes, for financial reasons (free tuition). Would they rescind my acceptance for this? Is this a really bad idea?
I hope they would not rescind, but the odds that they would accede is quite small.
Talk to the WL school instead.

Reactions: 1 users
how cool would it be if the computer automatically narrated the SDN out loud in Morgan Freeman Voice.... OMG
*Morgan Freeman voice* The confused and terrified pre-med had long ago lost all hope. But a friend of a friend was accepted to their school of choice last Thursday. Their friends and loved ones have moved on from the waitlist but they cannot. Illuminated by the blue light of their computer screen they frantically press control f5 (or command R on a mac) into the early morning. But nothing ever changes about their fate and thus nothing ever changes about their misery. The wait goes on.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*Morgan Freeman voice* The confused and terrified pre-med had long ago lost all hope. But a friend of a friend was accepted to their school of choice last Thursday. Their friends and loved ones have moved on from the waitlist but they cannot. Illuminated by the blue light of their computer screen they frantically press control f5 (or command R on a mac) into the early morning. But nothing ever changes about their fate and thus nothing ever changes about their misery. The wait goes on.
YES!!!!! perfect!!!! (thank you for the command R tip, new to the mac world).

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know if this can or should be moved to another thread (I hope it is and sparks interest of those who care about such a thing) but I just had a thought that free tuition for all prospective students to come can be accomplished by our fellow colleagues should we all pool resources and assist in relieving financial burden of medical school.
I just did some basic math and forgive me if my numbers are off but approximately 25000 students are admitted to each first year class, and average tuition is about $45000= ~$1.125 billion for the cost of medical school for first year class. Now, there are about 1 million physicians in the US. If each doctor donates to a fund $4500 per year (that’s only $375 per month) students can go to school debt free (and as each doctor becomes an attending, the good deed is carried on for a brighter future for us all). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yes, for financial reasons (free tuition). Would they rescind my acceptance for this? Is this a really bad idea?
Imagine how this conversation would end:

Guy [To Sally]: I know that you've agreed to go to the prom with me, but would you mind waiting until I find out if Lisa will go with me instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

Guy [To Sally]: I know that you've agreed to go to the prom with me, but would you mind waiting until I find out if Lisa will go with me instead?
And then when Lisa turns you down, you're forced to go back to dance with Sally for four years.. awkward.

(not all schools will make it this awkward though)

• Haha

On the brightside, at least you have someone to go to prom with this cycle

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I don’t know if this can or should be moved to another thread (I hope it is and sparks interest of those who care about such a thing) but I just had a thought that free tuition for all prospective students to come can be accomplished by our fellow colleagues should we all pool resources and assist in relieving financial burden of medical school.
I just did some basic math and forgive me if my numbers are off but approximately 25000 students are admitted to each first year class, and average tuition is about $45000= ~$1.125 trillion for the cost of medical school for first year class. Now, there are about 1 million physicians in the US. If each doctor donates to a fund $4500 per year (that’s only $375 per month) students can go to school debt free (and as each doctor becomes an attending, the good deed is carried on for a brighter future for us all). Any thoughts?
I think you meant billion instead of trillion.

case has a cte deadline of today so hopefully some Good News will be heard this week because im losing more and more hair by the second

• Haha
Got into BOTH my waitlists today! Need to sell everything, quit both my jobs, and finally start this next chapter! Must decide which school by tomorrow, was told.
I was so emotionally dry during those phone calls, though. I expected this moment to be somewhat different

• Love
Reactions: 51 users
I know this meme isn't very funny and it's a lil salty. But hey I am also a lil salty so I guess it fits. To be clear, obviously most aren't like this and I'm super happy for admitted people, but a few of the accepted people on reddit have been getting on my nerves lately lol

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
I know this meme isn't very funny and it's a lil salty. But hey I am also a lil salty so I guess it fits. To be clear, obviously most aren't like this and I'm super happy for admitted people, but a few of the accepted people on reddit have been getting on my nerves lately lol

SDN Hardo starter pack*
View attachment 268050

You gotta be kidding me. The fact that anyone thinks this is a good idea is ridiculous.
@gyngyn can I ask the school I'm accepted at if I can get an extension if the school I'm waitlisted at has the same CTE deadline and I'd be giving up free tuition. Would they accept that as a valid reason to ask for an extension? Would I be risking rescinding my acceptance? What is the best way to go about doing this? Phone? Email? Written letter?

Got into BOTH my waitlists today! Need to sell everything, quit both my jobs, and finally start this next chapter! Must decide which school by tomorrow, was told.
I was so emotionally dry during those phone calls, though. I expected this moment to be somewhat different

I don’t know you, but reading that made me so so happy. You've been waiting for sooo long maybe it will take a while to sink in, but...you did it!!! Congrats.

Reactions: 6 users
Guys... every single one of us f***ed up at one point or another during this journey... Or at least known someone who f***ed up. Jeez, this is my 3rd cycle of applying!!! the first two times I honestly thought that i could get in with 500 MCAT..... really? Then i discovered SDN, and all of you, especially ppl like @Goro , @gyngyn , @Matthew9Thirtyfive changed everything, you know? so, we are SUPPOSED to ask "stupid" questions. It is better than doing stupid things without asking. This is the place where we can learn from each other.

plus, i HATE doctors who are scared or too arrogant to ask for help or for second opinion. I think it takes A LOT of guts to do that, and this is exactly what a great doctor should do!

just saying. Lets be nice and learn from each other. we are all stressed out.

Reactions: 24 users
You gotta be kidding me. The fact that anyone thinks this is a good idea is ridiculous.

I know more than one person who asked for an extension because they were waiting on another school for individual reasons and were happily given them. No need to be rude just because you don’t think something is a good idea.

So now that June is almost over, is it official that this was perhaps one of the worst years in history to be on the waitlist?

Reactions: 10 users
So now that June is almost over, is it official that this was perhaps one of the worst years in history to be on the waitlist?
I have faith in July. Might be alone but I still have faith.

Reactions: 12 users

View attachment 268050
Do people actually say these things?. I thank God every day I was blessed enough to be accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
I have faith in July. Might be alone but I still have faith.
I want to have faith (and I will certainly continue to do so until the last day of the cycle) but the realist in me thinks that the "perpetual stalemate" theory will ultimately come to fruition. I think everyone will be holding their breath for mid-July CTE movement but what will really happen is all PTEs waiting on WLs will have to convert to CTEs, thereby solidifying all seats in a given class.

What I hope will happen is that mid-June/early-July CTEs are strictly enforced across the board. Late July CTE school WL pools will then shrink as students with CTE mandates leave their WL applicant pools and the few remaining multiple-acceptance-holding applicants are forced to commit. While this won't create a tidal wave of action like we all are hoping for, at least there will be one last push of movement.

Of course, this is all just conjecture and obligatory *your results may vary by school*. This also assumes that schools have depleted their surplus acceptances.

I don’t know you, but reading that made me so so happy. You've been waiting for sooo long maybe it will take a while to sink in, but...you did it!!! Congrats.
Definitely! I had submitted my primary app by mid June '18. All my secondaries were ready and sent by end of August. Got one R by October but no word until March for two II. WL in May and now this!

Why do you say that?

The waitlist may be somewhat elongated this cycle, and, in some cases, causing some logistical issues, but what evidence do you have that the number of people taken off waitlists is less than in previous years?
My thinking is that there has been less movement so far. Granted most schools have CTEs in mid/June-July movement would be delayed until July. Evidence for this is my schools under-enrolled currently and has taken less than it’s ever taken off the waitlist. Granted this is a school by school assumption but I think there are plenty of people hoarding multiple acceptances still resulting in a late shakedown cascade effect.

PS for those looking to take their minds off this cluster-f you should read Bad Blood about Theranos or watch the HBO doc. Insane!

case has a cte deadline of today so hopefully some Good News will be heard this week because im losing more and more hair by the second

LOL my stomach has been hurting almost every day since I was waitlisted back in December. Hurrah for physically manifested stress!

Reactions: 4 users
So I submitted my reapp yesterday and saw that AMCAS increased its fee by 10 dollars. I'm convinced the abolishing of the MAR is just some elaborate scheme to make more money. AMCAS predicted schools would underaccept leading to more reapplicants and predicted slow waitlist movement, so those that would normally be accepted would have to wait longer and be pushed to submit a reapplication. This is what I hate about this world, when others have power over me and I can't do a thing.

So I submitted my reapp yesterday and saw that AMCAS increased its fee by 10 dollars. I'm convinced the abolishing of the MAR is just some elaborate scheme to make more money. AMCAS predicted schools would underaccept leading to more reapplicants and predicted slow waitlist movement, so those that would normally be accepted would have to wait longer and be pushed to submit a reapplication. This is what I hate about this world, when others have power over me and I can't do a thing.
TMDSAS increased its fee too by about $20.

• Wow
Why do you say that?

The waitlist may be somewhat elongated this cycle, and, in some cases, causing some logistical issues, but what evidence do you have that the number of people taken off waitlists is less than in previous years?

It’s an n=1, but Quillen publishes its stats throughout the cycle and has offered only 60% of the amount of acceptances it offered last cycle.

LOL my stomach has been hurting almost every day since I was waitlisted back in December. Hurrah for physically manifested stress!
Fam, if you want my advice, I believe that it is time to move on. I did this and am much happier. Much more stress free. I submitted my reapp qnd am qssuming I am rejected from both my WLs. It is simplet and easier.

I hipe this helps

Fam, if you want my advice, I believe that it is time to move on. I did this and am much happier. Much more stress free. I submitted my reapp qnd am qssuming I am rejected from both my WLs. It is simplet and easier.

I hipe this helps

As much as I’d tend to agree, my retackling the mcat and studying relentlessly is proving to be more painful than hopefully refreshing waitlist pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.