This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So are you suggesting that the 40% off the historic norm will either be made up at/or around CTE deadlines or will be lower overall because schools did not offer as many acceptances as previous years? Or a combination.

If many schools undershot their historic yield numbers, then there may be still be quite a bit of movement. Not likely across the board, but many schools.

Quillen hits their CTE deadline next Monday, so I guess we'll see. I'm guessing they undershot because they were unsure of what was going to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Matthew9thirtyfive and gyngyn give me hope every time.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't want to sound like a big dumb over here--but it looks like their stats for last year are post-cycle, but the stats for this year end on april 15th. So they probably have given out more acceptances than they listed on their website by now, right?

Possibly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
whether it is this cycle or the next, I really commend everyone willing to sacrifice and go through this process to achieve their dreams and make a difference.
I was just accepted to my dream school today and immediately withdrew my waitlists across the nation.

There is nothing to say that can make the process easier. I was ready to hit it hard again. This year adding hundreds of hours of community service, thousands of hours of employment with multiple jobs, paying rent and supporting others, alot of sunken costs and debt, at least six complete ps revisions and countless drafts, 25-30 secondaries complete and re-written, a fresh, smarter school list. Over 40 rejections, I was probably ready for 500 more. Reflection and writing and prep as i've never done before.

It might not be possible, but I did my best to be happy and thankful with any outcome, taking my time with my reapp and stressing a little less over this drawn out process. Every rejection fuels me to learn more, grow my writing Or intvw answers, gaining more experience with disadvantaged populations, and serving others. It would not have been easy, but the wait can be an opportunity to build dogged commitment as long as it is reasonable and this is really what you want, which most of us on the Waitlist are qualified. That commitment then shows in your writing. Many of the best are reapplicants.

Once again, easier said than done but that is why I honor and respect you guys on the edge who still face uncertainty. I hope you guys hear good news but if not, I hope you can find the inspiration to completely destroy it when you apply again and I will always root for those going on this journey.

Reactions: 41 users
I was just accepted to my dream school today and immediately withdrew my waitlists across the nation.

There is nothing to say that can make the process easier. I was ready to hit it hard again. This year adding hundreds of hours of community service, thousands of hours of employment with multiple jobs, paying rent and supporting others, alot of sunken costs and debt, at least six complete ps revisions and countless drafts, 25-30 secondaries complete and re-written, a fresh, smarter school list. Over 40 rejections, I was probably ready for 500 more. Reflection and writing and prep as i've never done before.

It might not be possible, but I did my best to be happy and thankful with any outcome, taking my time with my reapp and stressing a little less over this drawn out process. Every rejection fuels me to learn more, grow my writing Or intvw answers, gaining more experience with disadvantaged populations, and serving others. It would not have been easy, but the wait can be an opportunity to build dogged commitment as long as it is reasonable and this is really what you want, which most of us on the Waitlist are qualified. That commitment then shows in your writing. Many of the best are reapplicants.

Once again, easier said than done but that is why I honor and respect you guys on the edge who still face uncertainty. I hope you guys hear good news but if not, I hope you can find the inspiration to completely destroy it when you apply again and I will always root for those going on this journey.

can i ask which school it was?

Lol somebody I had reassured on my school’s thread a few days ago recently got in. I’m not too far from their stats so I’m gonna keep my fingers slightly crossed...

LOL my stomach has been hurting almost every day since I was waitlisted back in December. Hurrah for physically manifested stress!
psh Ill raise you. Waitlisted october 15th, litterally the first day they can wait list you lol just my luck

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm always surprised by the entertaining references and memes on these threads

Reactions: 1 users
Prepping to reapply for 2025 is super depressing so I made this meme to try and cheer myself up. It didn't work lol

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Carl Jung, in the early 20th century, had a related belief set to Dante. He wrote:

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imaging figures of light but by making the darkness conscious."
Sounds like something testmakers could make some difficult verbal questions about...

Reactions: 2 users
The question isn't whether I can get there, but whether I can get there soon enough.
I don't want to be an M2 while my college friends are in the middle of residency, and I don't want to be a 40 year old resident with a 30 year old attending in charge of me, but it appears that will be the case.
Man reading your posts, reminds me of the stark reality that is in front of many of us, but we refuse or don't want to acknowledge.

Man reading your posts, reminds me of the stark reality that is in front of many of us, but we refuse or don't want to acknowledge.
First off, you still don't know that this is actually what's going to happen. Second, it's all what you make of it. You can look at that as a bad thing or a good thing, it's up to you. You will always have someone younger and faster who outranks you, and you will also always have the opposite. If they've earned that position then they're good at it and you will learn by being around them. And you will have some high school and college friends who are ahead of you career-wise. You will have far more high school and college friends who are doing nothing interesting and lead really, really boring lives.

I'm a big fan of Jocko Willink's mindset on this problem . (Yes, imagery used in this video is kinda emo, message is great)

First off, you still don't know that this is actually what's going to happen. Second, it's all what you make of it. You can look at that as a bad thing or a good thing, it's up to you. You will always have someone younger and faster who outranks you, and you will also always have the opposite. If they've earned that position then they're good at it and you will learn by being around them. And you will have some high school and college friends who are ahead of you career-wise. You will have far more high school and college friends who are doing nothing interesting and lead really, really boring lives.

I'm a big fan of Jocko Willink's mindset on this problem . (Yes, imagery used in this video is kinda emo, message is great)

Oh for sure, what you say is definitely true. I'm just saying @Meridian17 posts have been pretty pessimistic and shows you the dark side of this process which many people have fallen into. In my case, I did some self-reflecting and just submitted a vastly improved reapp and looking forward to the next cycle.

Carl Jung, in the early 20th century, had a related belief set to Dante. He wrote:

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imaging figures of light but by making the darkness conscious."

Yo every time I read one of your posts I highkey feel like I'm reading a cars passage lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting about their acceptances off waitlists. As someone who is holding out hope till it's over, it's very comforting to see movement across the nation!!

Reactions: 9 users
The question isn't whether I can get there, but whether I can get there soon enough.
I don't want to be an M2 while my college friends are in the middle of residency, and I don't want to be a 40 year old resident with a 30 year old attending in charge of me, but it appears that will be the case.

This matters a lot less than you'd think. Some of my college friends are residents and attendings. Heck, even some of the undergraduates I mentored while I was a graduate student are now in medical school and I'm only an applicant.

You'll make new friends.

Reactions: 2 users
This matters a lot less than you'd think. Some of my college friends are residents and attendings. Heck, even some of the undergraduates I mentored as a graduate student are now in medical school and I'm only an applicant.

You'll make new friends.

As someone who will be a 40-year-old resident one day I feel this, and I've spent a lot of time thinking on what this means for me in my personal and professional life. Want to know where I landed? Whenever you get in... just do you boo. Because no one can take your degree from you and you are going to be making a difference. :)

Reactions: 5 users
If anyone prefers musical motivation, “I’m still good” by Hannah Montana is a a great song that applies to our situation on a spiritual level

I cannot emphasize how much it helps seeing older applicants having the same fears that I have. There may be some more unique to me as a woman, but this feeling of being "behind" and awkward age dynamics with classmates gets alleviated. My schools CTE is coming up and I know some people got into school like two weeks before class started and at this point, I will happily do apartment hunting on short notice

• Love
I cannot emphasize how much it helps seeing older applicants having the same fears that I have. There may be some more unique to me as a woman, but this feeling of being "behind" and awkward age dynamics with classmates gets alleviated. My schools CTE is coming up and I know some people got into school like two weeks before class started and at this point, I will happily do apartment hunting on short notice

And here I am, a stripling, in my very early twenties.

Yo every time I read one of your posts I highkey feel like I'm reading a cars passage lol.
69. Based on the context of the post one can reasonably infer that this waitlisted person is:

A) Well-read and enjoys obscure literature
B) Neurotic as hell and deep on r/premed
C) Stole this quote from their moms friend on Facebook
D) A & B
E) A but not C but sometimes B

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
69. Based on the context of the post one can reasonably infer that this waitlisted person is:

A) Well-read and enjoys obscure literature
B) Neurotic as hell and deep on r/premed
C) Stole this quote from their moms friend on Facebook
D) A & B
E) A but not C but sometimes B
Unequivocally C

Ugh what a day so far... Called my school and from the info I got, it looks like my fate is sealed. I go to the gym to burn release some stress and clear my head, and on the way out I’m hit with the “heeeeeeyy... have you heard anything yet?” After thorough explanation (30 minutes), I get the “have you considered a Plan B?” I wish I could calmly and gently smack someone when they ask me that question.

But I’m heading to Miami to celebrate my brother graduating from his Neurosurgery fellowship. We’ll relax, have fun, he’ll uplift me, and then when I get back... the MCAT better watch out, I’m coming for it with everything I got.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Ugh what a day so far... Called my school and from the info I got, it looks like my fate is sealed. I go to the gym to burn release some stress and clear my head, and on the way out I’m hit with the “heeeeeeyy... have you heard anything yet?” After thorough explanation (30 minutes), I get the “have you considered a Plan B?” I wish I could calmly and gently smack someone when they ask me that question.

But I’m heading to Miami to celebrate my brother graduating from his Neurosurgery fellowship. We’ll relax, have fun, he’ll uplift me, and then when I get back... the MCAT better watch out, I’m coming for it with everything I got.
Did you take off your headphones before leaving the gym?

Tell them your plan B is to double down on plan A.

Reactions: 6 users
Did you take off your headphones before leaving the gym?

I kept my headphones in but it’s pretty hard for me to deflect people. Not to sound like I’m the popular guy or anything like that but I’m very friendly and approachable so people always want to talk and I know they mean well, so I don’t want to ignore them and be stand offish. That’s probably why all the patients I communicate with tell me I have such great bedside manner and I genuinely care. I wish I could get extra credit MCAT points with that quality haha.

I kept my headphones in but it’s pretty hard for me to deflect people. Not to sound like I’m the popular guy or anything like that but I’m very friendly and approachable so people always want to talk and I know they mean well, so I don’t want to ignore them and be stand offish. That’s probably why all the patients I communicate with tell me I have such great bedside manner and I genuinely care. I wish I could get extra credit MCAT points with that quality haha.
I know the feeling man, I completely get it. People always ask me why I'm smiling all the time, I don't even realize it. In NYC, I get approached by all kinds people, especially people looking to for me to sign petitions. Out of the twenty people walking, I get picked.

I know the feeling man, I completely get it. People always ask me why I'm smiling all the time, I don't even realize it. In NYC, I get approached by all kinds people, especially people looking to for me to sign petitions. Out of the twenty people walking, I get picked.
You'll probably get extra interview points though

Come down to DC and I'll introduce you to the super-charged petition pushers.

The other day I was told to "come back when I was ready to make a difference" after politely declining to sign one

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I hope a bunch of you were able to get off the waitlist. After 3 updates to my application, and submitting a re application to the same school, they took me off the waitlist June 6th :) good luck everyone! Even if you don't get in this cycle, you got this! Don't give up.

Reactions: 20 users
Come down to DC and I'll introduce you to the super-charged petition pushers.

The other day I was told to "come back when I was ready to make a difference" after politely declining to sign one

My freshman year, I met someone and told him I had a meeting maybe after I'm done. I come out hes gone. Fast forward a month, I see the same guy on the way to my dorm, and he goes where'd you go man. I was like oh hell noo, noped out if there.

I mean it's not only that, it's also that I have to spend 2 more years living my current life, which I very much don't want to do. We only have a limited time on this Earth and having to waste ~1/40 of it doesn't sit well with me
All my friends have moved away from this city, so I've not done anything social with people I know in 4 weeks and I'm already going crazy, I can't take 2 more years of this. I've tried meetups and stuff but I don't seem to be very good at making friends that way, I'm much better at it in an "all in this together" type situation (like UG or med school). Maybe if your gap years are enriching and fulfilling it's different, but this matters hugely to me

I’ll share this which a nephrologist friend told me when I was struggling in the same shoes:

“You’re going to be 40 anyway, that time will pass no matter what you do. The difference is do you want to be 40 and a doctor or just 40?”

Reactions: 8 users
I mean it's not only that, it's also that I have to spend 2 more years living my current life, which I very much don't want to do. We only have a limited time on this Earth and having to waste ~1/40 of it doesn't sit well with me
All my friends have moved away from this city, so I've not done anything social with people I know in 4 weeks and I'm already going crazy, I can't take 2 more years of this. I've tried meetups and stuff but I don't seem to be very good at making friends that way, I'm much better at it in an "all in this together" type situation (like UG or med school). Maybe if your gap years are enriching and fulfilling it's different, but this matters hugely to me
Know you're not alone dude. I am living the same crappy gap year life if i don't get off the waitlist for multiple years. It's getting tiring especially on the social end. I don't even care about the pay for the jobs I am doing but I am basically sacrificing building an alternative career for a career I don't even know is gonna happen......

Know you're not alone dude. I am living the same crappy gap year life if i don't get off the waitlist for multiple years. It's getting tiring especially on the social end. I don't even care about the pay for the jobs I am doing but I am basically sacrificing building an alternative career for a career I don't even know is gonna happen......

Sounds like y’all need to find a better gap year activity. I love my job, but then again I work in a hospital with patients every day so I’m adjacent to my goals and helps me feel fulfilled. Do what makes you happy and it’ll help you get where you want to go. I get closer every time.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like y’all need to find a better gap year activity. I love my job, but then again I work in a hospital with patients every day so I’m adjacent to my goals and helps me feel fulfilled. Do what makes you happy and it’ll help you get where you want to go. I get closer every time.
I understand this feeling. Until I was accepted to a school, I was very afraid I'd have to spend another year doing my gap year job. Im not so sure I could have done it.

I actually like the job, but it's just the knowledge that I'm not progressing anywhere that kills me. Plus the aforementioned other issues. Job itself is fine and I feel good coming home from work most days, which is more than I think most people can say.
This

Status
Not open for further replies.