This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

and may or may not need to move across the country on a week’s notice and really want to quit my job already but don’t wanna become homeless and if one more coworker asks me “did you hear anything yet?” I will literally cry which will be awkward cuz I’m an ugly crier lol jk jk i'm dead inside

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
View attachment 267558
and may or may not need to move across the country on a week’s notice and really want to quit my job already but don’t wanna become homeless and if one more coworker asks me “did you hear anything yet?” I will literally cry which will be awkward cuz I’m an ugly crier lol jk jk i'm dead inside

People at my gym ask me that all the time and finally I had to get really stern with somebody and say “if you see me smiling and talking to everybody, then yea you can assume I heard something... but if I have a straight face and seem anti-social I HAVEN’T heard anything.... ok :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
People at my gym ask me that all the time and finally I had to get really stern with somebody and say “if you see me smiling and talking to everybody, then yea you can assume I heard something... but if I have a straight face and seem anti-social I HAVEN’T heard anything.... ok :)
This is why you don't workout and contribute to the obesity epidemic plaguing our country:)

The admissions office at Wisconsin is now saying the waitlist may not move until mid-July after other schools' CTE deadlines (if at all), even though their CTE was June 1st. *facepalm*
and wow good to know that deadlines really don't mean anything
@gyngyn how do this information factor into your theory?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also same experience! My interviewer took two long phone calls, one of which was her hairdresser!
1 of my interviewers talked about sports nearly the entire time... i am now waitlisted. I can't help but wonder if he messed up my chances of acceptance. (I am not joking)

Reactions: 1 user
1 of my interviewers talked about sports nearly the entire time... i am now waitlisted. I can't help but wonder if he messed up my chances of acceptance. (I am not joking)
I had one uni misspell my interviewers name on the document I received from them so I was calling them by the wrong now every time I addressed them. :D TBF I zhit the bed at that interview but still calling an interviewer the wrong name will effect perception of the applicant.

I think I used to get attached to schools after having great interview experiences and conversations. But it does not feel good to be R/WL and overlooked and it goes to show how one's experience may not match that of the other party. Basically, like a dating game where I am genuine but naive and undesirable. My application continues to get stronger but it is hard not to be jaded and lose trust. My loyalty is to my development and my patients, but this process is lame and superficial. That's life though and another case of lost innocence. I'm sure it will make me better and push me to become more externally valuable because that is business. My advisor was telling me about how her other applicants were spending thousands of dollars for perfect essays and what-not but here I am learning from my own mistakes. Sorry, back to business and I understand that the majority of us are facing the same challenge.

Reactions: 9 users

Damn you have convos at the gym. At my gym, unless you know someone directly, no one spares a comment towards another.

Reactions: 3 users
The key is to become better, not bitter.
I think the reason that I am not completely bitter is because rejection has pushed me to do something amazing in my life for another person and to continue deepening my commitment and purpose. Bitterness in that respect can do wonders. I do believe the more I get rejected, the stronger and better I become, but it is still a hard pill to swallow.

I still have a long time to develop the wisdom and grace to completely embrace that though.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn you have convos at the gym. At my gym, unless you know someone directly, no one spares a comment towards another.

It’s a smaller gym, not as overly crowded, and everybody kinds of knows each other because we all come at the same time. I had to change times during MCAT prep because I couldn’t stand questions about that either lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Lol, this experience has taught me how to stop my hair from falling out even when I’m uber stressed, so there’s that. Also meditating a lot more which has actually been a great change for me as well. :)

It’s a smaller gym, not as overly crowded, and everybody kinds of knows each other because we all come at the same time. I had to change times during MCAT prep because I couldn’t stand questions about that either lol

I see, I'm at LA Fitness. All the girls wear headphones, so I take that as a sign they dont want to be bothered.

Reactions: 5 users
People be talking about pumpin iron, but I'm here at the library on my day off pumpin them secondaries! Jacked essays Get it! Aiming for 10 interviews next cycle. My app is on steroids

People be talking about pumpin iron, but I'm here at the library on my day off pumpin them secondaries! Jacked essays Get it! Aiming for 10 interviews next cycle. My app is on steroids

Attachments

• 2F37595D-FECF-4A3F-BA36-AB83EEB16F54.gif
    2F37595D-FECF-4A3F-BA36-AB83EEB16F54.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 76
  • Haha
run a cycle of tren and get huge and intimidate everyone so they never talk to you

run a cycle of tren and get huge and intimidate everyone so they never talk to you

Everybody talks to me because they are interested in my workouts and I’m very friendly and approachable haha.

• Love
Everybody talks to me because they are interested in my workouts and I’m very friendly and approachable haha.

You should develop selective RBF. That’s what I have. When I’m at the hospital and working and with patients and families, I’m ON and all smiles. When I’m practicing self care my lack of smile is strong and apparently scary, thus i never get asked about it. Except at work. Which isn’t great.

Man we should be able to void Interviews at this point.

I mean we already can with the MCAT. And the GPA can be fixed with additional course work...

• Haha
You should develop selective RBF. That’s what I have. When I’m at the hospital and working and with patients and families, I’m ON and all smiles. When I’m practicing self care my lack of smile is strong and apparently scary, thus i never get asked about it. Except at work. Which isn’t great.

Oh I’m definitely good at that. The bad thing is that I’ve been at this gym for years, and I used to work there when I was in high school. When I walked around with my “scary look” during MCAT prep they would come up to me and ask me is everything alright and then I’m back to talking about Med school stuff. So my RBF just made people want to comfort me and ask me how am I doing, so I just stopped haha

That's nice and all. But this process has consumed my life for 2 years, mcat prep and last cycle. It's time for ur boy to go on the prowl

Oh I’m definitely good at that. The bad thing is that I’ve been at this gym for years, and I used to work there when I was in high school. When I walked around with my “scary look” during MCAT prep they would come up to me and ask me is everything alright and then I’m back to talking about Med school stuff. So my RBF just made people want to comfort me and ask me how am I doing, so I just stopped haha
Lol, you must live in a nice community. Where I'm from, much less than a RBF would keep me away

Idk - I had a friend who applied to a different school and was in literally this situation and they got in. Maybe he just likes sports?

Idk - I had a friend who applied to a different school and was in literally this situation and they got in. Maybe he just likes sports?

And plus, this allows you to portray yourself as a real person as opposed to just reciting things you’ve spent hours writing about in your application.

Yeah. I like sports to. It was a fun conversation. It felt like the interview went well. The other faculty interview I had at that same school (on the same day) went well also. She said she would love to have me in the med school class. Why was I waitlisted?? No idea

One of my interviewers was a South Asian PhD biochemist who had never seen a patient in his life. I tried and tried to connect with him about my experiences but in the end I just don’t think he got me. Why they would have someone like that interview prospective doctors is beyond me.

Yo, my interviewer at Indiana University was the ****ing librarian. I wish I was joking. 100% Serious.

• Haha
Don’t understand why it isn’t physicians or qualified admissions committee members only.

I think schools want to get a variety of opinions from people in the school community which is why they bring other people into the process. But from what I gather, they are all trained the same way

They should all be MMI formatted interview days anyway, which is what is likely coming in the future

Yeah. I like sports to. It was a fun conversation. It felt like the interview went well. The other faculty interview I had at that same school (on the same day) went well also. She said she would love to have me in the med school class. Why was I waitlisted?? No idea

I had a similar experience at the school I’m still waitlisted at. I had a faculty interviewer who spoke to me about my undergrad institution because his granddaughter is a student there currently and it was a very off topic interview, we spoke about our dogs as well. At the end of the interview he told me the school is a great fit for my goals and the school would be lucky to have me. Next interviewer at the same school told me how they they got to where they are, how it seems like I’d be more successful than them and then told me how they thought I would be very successful med student at this school. I’m confused as to why I was waitlisted as well.

I think schools want to get a variety of opinions from people in the school community which is why they bring other people into the process. But from what I gather, they are all trained the same way

I'm totally fine with that. If it's one interview with a non-physician faculty member + one interview with a medical student then I'm ok with that. I also don't mind if it's two faculty members like one M.Ed adcom + one PhD faculty member.

My interview was just a single 20 minute one on one interview with the librarian.

I'm totally fine with that. If it's one interview with a non-physician faculty member + one interview with a medical student then I'm ok with that. I also don't mind if it's two faculty members like one M.Ed adcom + one PhD faculty member.

My interview was just a single 20 minute one on one interview with the librarian.
Ah I just assumed it was MMI. That is a little odd.

Dude, I remember my interviewer said I would be a strong addition to their student body. I was hyped, then waitlist

Reactions: 10 users

Librarian be like watch me ruin this persons career. Another one bites the dust

Last edited:
One of the interviewers at this one school straight up said I interviewed really well and was very much impressed by me. I’ve been on the waitlist since October.

Dude, I remember my interviewer said I would be a strong addition to their student body. I was hyped, then waitlist
Does this school offer post-interview feedback? Mine does not... so I will never know why I was WLed. I flew across the country for this i terview. It is a crime to me that they can't give me 15 minutes of feedback, frankly

Does this school offer post-interview feedback? Mine does not... so I will never know why I was WLed. I flew across the country for this i terview. It is a crime to me that they can't give me 15 minutes of feedback, frankly
This situation is baffling for many students. I think as others have said, you often need the whole committee (ex. 10/10 votes) to vote yes in order to be accepted outright

After today, realistically the only "major movements" (which will probably still be minor) should occur next week after mid-June CTE deadlines and mid-July after those CTE deadlines?

One of the challenges of providing useful feedback (besides litigation) is that the committee vote as well as their conversation is confidential.
What passes for feedback tends to therefore be vague generalizations that do not distinguish the waitlisted applicant from the accepted.
No feedback is realistically quite similar to useless feedback.

After today, realistically the only "major movements" (which will probably still be minor) should occur next week after mid-June CTE deadlines and mid-July after those CTE deadlines?
When you see gyngyn like this post :eek:

Reactions: 5 users
One of the challenges of providing useful feedback (besides litigation) is that the committee vote as well as their conversation is confidential.
What passes for feedback tends to therefore be vague generalizations that do not distinguish the waitlisted applicant from the accepted.
No feedback is realistically quite similar to useless feedback.
The feedback I received was very vague. And when I said things in my app that I thought were weak it was either that is fine (in terms of mcat/gpa) or super vague. If you are looking for actions to take, you probably aren't gonna get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.