Jan 12, 2019
The biggest lie perpetuated by House MD is that you can transfer to another Med school after being expelled...

Lol
The science is so bad sometimes that I cringe.

I remember once when he said “the patient can only have type A blood because she only has antibodies against the A antigen”

Reactions: StanleyYelnats
Jan 12, 2019
No physician thinks the character (Dr. House) is anything but a scourge and fictitious blight.
In contrast, Dr. Oz is an actual scourge and blight upon the profession.
It’s honestly sad how many people enter college thinking that medicine is resembled by Grey’s Anatomy and House.

Probably why the pre med dropout rate is so high.

Mar 27, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Whew!! I stopped regularly reading this thread since I committed to a school last week and withdrew from my WLs, but y'all just made me laugh and cry all at once. Keep on fighting the good fight. I hope things work out for all of you! I know waiting is the worst, but it'll be so worth it when you get that acceptance :clap:

Nov 5, 2018

if you want to ruin your day a little. happy tuesday y’all. let’s (hopefully) get this bread :’)

Feb 25, 2019
Do you know any wait list movements started in Keck USC? I’m a mother , my daughter is in waiting list. I’m reading everyday how stressful all of you are in WL. This is so sad to see these smart kids getting mentally exhausted. My daughter has 517, cgpa 3.83 she has very good extra curricular acitivities also research publications. She worked so hard for her dream, since she was in middle school. It’s hard me to see her sad face which she tries to hide from us. As parents we are also very disappointed about this unpredictable and unorganized system. Something missing in this system. I wish you all the best! A mom.

Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right? They already know since you have no acceptances that there is a high likelihood of you accepting. I've already sent multiple letters to this school saying it is my top choice/provided updates but never explicitly used the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend." I just felt I was basically saying that when I said it was my first choice compounded with having no acceptances.

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...

Reactions: Kiwimd17
Apr 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right? They already know since you have no acceptances that there is a high likelihood of you accepting. I've already sent multiple letters to this school saying it is my top choice/provided updates but never explicitly used the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend." I just felt I was basically saying that when I said it was my first choice compounded with having no acceptances.

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...
I feel your struggle! Given that you have already sent in updates and a LOI, I feel you should do the latter and wait it out. I know the waiting process is no fun, but we’re all in the same boat. Just got to trust the process. Most schools pull from waitlist until school starts so don’t lose hope! Adcom know and see that you’re dedicated.

Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel your struggle! Given that you have already sent in updates and a LOI, I feel you should do the latter and wait it out. I know the waiting process is no fun, but we’re all in the same boat. Just got to trust the process. Most schools pull from waitlist until school starts so don’t lose hope! Adcom know and see that you’re dedicated.
I appreciate the input! I've been pretty calm and collected about everything overall, but I think seeing recent glimpses of WL movement was a little unsettling. But, I've basically been waiting almost a whole year since I began this process, so I think I can wait another month or two! Good luck to you! :)

Dec 8, 2018
What do you guys think about using a new job as an update at this point in the cycle? I want to do everything I can to get off the WL but worry if my WL will look at my update and maybe pass up on me if I’ve committed to a new job. No idea if adcoms are this convoluted lol.

Tagging @gyngyn to try and get noticed

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
is there anyone else here who can relate to this:

being at a job that you really and truly cannot stand? My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day. Sometimes I drag my feet in the morning for those few extra moments of peace before I get to spend 9 hours having my soul sucked out through my eyes. The culture is toxic, and based in pointing fingers and laying blame. People undermine each other, and there isn't a sense of teamwork or camaraderie. My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.

It frustrates me because I thought I could hang on to this job while waiting on medical schools, and could finally feel comfortable enough to quit sometime this month and move on to a future I could only hope would be different. But now I have no clue if medical school is going to happen. I worry about if/when I should start a job hunt (obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I will not spend more time being miserable here lol). I just want to know what's going to happen in my own damn life!

AH. It feels good to get that out. Such a rough time this is, truly.
yeah, this exactly describes how i feel right now... but i really need the money... so i need to work till matriculation

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
No physician thinks the character (Dr. House) is anything but a scourge and fictitious blight.
In contrast, Dr. Oz is an actual scourge and blight upon the profession.
why? i know him only from NY med (is that right?), but what else did he do?

Jan 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Someone earlier was mentioning that if you are on WL and reapplying, then you can just apply to one school and add more schools after verification. But if you are verified in the middle of June then you can actually wait till June 30!
Can anyone confirm this is true? It won’t delay the app being sent to schools as long as they’re added before June 30??
For someone who is reapplying I really still don’t understand amcas lol.

Mar 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone, I was wondering.. what do you think it means when a school rejects students off the alternate list?
Is it more due to lack of movement or because they’re zeroing in on specific students?

Sep 4, 2018
Hi everyone, I was wondering.. what do you think it means when a school rejects students off the alternate list?
Is it more due to lack of movement or because they’re zeroing in on specific students?
I'm not certain there's any way to know this for sure. For one school whose threads from a past cycle I followed, it meant that they were anticipating a full class already and were freeing their waitlisted students to make other plans.

May 31, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances.
I don't believe this is quite accurate. They can tell that you haven't chosen to PTE at another school, which may or may not indicate that you do not have other acceptances. (I have been wrong before on the CYMS tool, so someone else may correct me here)

Jun 26, 2018
sometimes it just means they know they arent going to reach the students at those ranks if it is a ranked waitlist

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Can anyone confirm this is true? It won’t delay the app being sent to schools as long as they’re added before June 30??
For someone who is reapplying I really still don’t understand amcas lol.
Yes, you need not apply to more than one school to verify your transcripts. Schools added later will upload within a business day.

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
sometimes it just means they know they arent going to reach the students at those ranks if it is a ranked waitlist
That is quite merciful in my opinion. The two schools I'm waiting on wait listed every darn applicant they didn't accept outright. Imo it's kinda cruel since when writing an LOI I had to take a gamble and pray the school I was courting has me in a reasonable position. If not they should reject me so I can court the other school!

Jan 24, 2019
Dun dun dun.... You cracked the code! This is all a master plot by some MBA somewhere to increase profits!
I know this is more of a side effect of a major overhaul of the system and our class drew the short straw and gets to be the guinnea pigs, and that there was no garantee of avoiding reapplying in previous cycles, but still grinds my gears a bit, what can I say?

Aug 27, 2017
Status
Do you know any wait list movements started in Keck USC? I’m a mother , my daughter is in waiting list. I’m reading everyday how stressful all of you are in WL. This is so sad to see these smart kids getting mentally exhausted. My daughter has 517, cgpa 3.83 she has very good extra curricular acitivities also research publications. She worked so hard for her dream, since she was in middle school. It’s hard me to see her sad face which she tries to hide from us. As parents we are also very disappointed about this unpredictable and unorganized system. Something missing in this system. I wish you all the best! A mom.
Unfortunately the only way to discern if a specific waitlist is moving would be to go to that specific school thread. I believe very few schools are receptive to folks contacting them to find their place on a waitlist, or if the list is moving.

I am much older than your daughter (most likely anyway) and can tell you that this process is horrifically stressful. Not just because of the MCAT and AMCAS stress (FInancial, GPA, ECs), but because so much information is out there which proves how difficult it is. Statistically, only about 40% of applicants get accepted every year. Some of those people may not get accepted until their 3rd or 4th application cycle, or maybe ever.

You sound like a supportive parent and I cannot stress enough how wonderful that is. Though my support is my wife and children, I can confidently say that having some form of comfort is critical for this process.

I hope your daughter gets the acceptance she wants. If it doesn't happen this year, apply again. It sounds like her stats are good and with careful applying, and a good interview, she should get somewhere. Keep supporting and trying to remain positive. This process can be soul crushingly demoralizing and almost make you feel more like livestock than a human. It takes fortitude to keep fighting into the wind.

Jul 7, 2018
Status
Has anyone tried calling the school(s) you're waitlisted at to get insight into projected waitlist movement? I've been thinking about calling but don't want to bother them and also think I may just get a very vague response. Anyone get any helpful information by calling?
One of the schools actually let me have a consultation with the Director of Admissions to express my interest. He said there has been WL movement and will add notes to my file to reflect my interest.

May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I personally called Hofstra and was told the class is almost filled and don't get my hopes high. Others on Hofstra's waitlist called and got generic response about continued waitlist movement till class starts in August. Take it as you will.

Reactions: bostonstrong95

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
What do you guys think about using a new job as an update at this point in the cycle? I want to do everything I can to get off the WL but worry if my WL will look at my update and maybe pass up on me if I’ve committed to a new job. No idea if adcoms are this convoluted lol.

Tagging @gyngyn to try and get noticed
We're not this twisted.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
UCSF historically has a LOT of movement. Wofsy told us almost half get offers from the waitlist

That is shocking. Is that because they have too many cross-admits with Stanford, Harvard, etc?

Dumb question...does CTE mean commit to enroll? Or is it an acronym that’s associated with when a need school begins classes?

Reactions: ivva5363

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
I personally called Hofstra and was told the class is almost filled and don't get my hopes high. Others on Hofstra's waitlist called and got generic response about continued waitlist movement till class starts in August. Take it as you will.
How can they be sure? What if some of their admits come off other WLs?

Mar 27, 2019
How can they be sure? What if some of their admits come off other WLs?
Yeah, I'm not so sure how schools are interpreting this stuff. There have been posts of different schools revealing not even half CTE percentage rates, yet the same schools also say to some applicants that the class is full and they are surprised by the lack of movement/not to expect any movement. Some students are interpreting this as the seats being "reserved." There are many people in this forum, and many I know, that are reserving their seats with PTE but prioritize a WL school.

Maybe the schools are just being careful in their correspondence to not get your hopes high, but I don't know how schools can be so sure of their yield when more than half their class is yet to CTE. Maybe schools are more or less confident about their yield due to various reasons (High CTE rate, desirability, previous year data, maybe sharing info between schools?).

If a stalemate does exist, maybe people will continue to commit to their current PTE schools instead of waiting to get off WL on a larger scale, and resulting in less movement in the end.

Reactions: ivva5363
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe they over-accepted this year with particularly good yield? Maybe a significant majority, a higher number than they expected, has already committed? It is a projection, but an official projection nonetheless.

Do I wish their projection to be off? Absolutely.

Reactions: red_tangoes
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Just got the phone call... first MD acceptance. I had a 2.6 GPA four years ago. Pretty much shaking right now.
Keep the faith people!!!!!!!
Ayyy! Been rooting for you! Congrats, man!

Jun 7, 2018
Emailed my waitlist school yesterday and they basically said "we don't know what's going on with waitlists this year, but even if we did we wouldn't tell you" (they were quite nice about it tho tbh). Not a huge surprise lol. They said they think the class will likely be filled as early as June which makes me think they expect minimal movement :\

Last edited: