Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
MSU CHM has a CTE date in July. They were prob talking about PTE!
that sounds accurate. they were the only school among those I interviewed at that actually emphasised a lot about the tool and using it. they have been accepting off WL since 4/30 and just yesterday they rejected some from the WL.

OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Anyone else getting sick of all the I GOT ACCEPTED posts on Reddit that have like newspapers of text explaining how to always follow your dreams and how everything will work out in the end?
I find those posts motivating, lol.

physiogirl2019

2+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
that sounds accurate. they were the only school among those I interviewed at that actually emphasised a lot about the tool and using it. they have been accepting off WL since 4/30 and just yesterday they rejected some from the WL.

Ya, that's the school I was accepted to (and would LOVE to attend). They sent us an email explaining we needed to PTE by May 1 or else our acceptance would be withdrawn. CTE is July 24 (just checked).

Reactions: futuredoc0307
Sep 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else getting sick of all the I GOT ACCEPTED posts on Reddit that have like newspapers of text explaining how to always follow your dreams and how everything will work out in the end?
Not particularly. Getting into medical school is something that is difficult, especially when you don't have phenomenal stats as you do. Nothing is wrong with people acknowledging how they managed to overcome the odds because those kinds of posts allow people to feel hope that they can also do the same. You clearly had no trouble getting into med school as you do have 8 acceptances. A lot of us are still struggling to get just one acceptance and disregarding those sentiments as annoying definitely goes against the supportive community that a waitlist support thread is designed to encourage.

Dec 26, 2018
That's a pretty bitter statement to make. They're just happy they got in and are trying to give students the motivation to reapply. Or wait out their waitlist, because you never know.

Also, why is someone with multiple acceptances commenting so negatively on a thread meant for people who currently have no As? Feels like a slap in the face, wouldn't you say?

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
That's a pretty bitter statement to make. They're just happy they got in and are trying to give students the motivation to reapply. Or wait out their waitlist, because you never know.

Also, why is someone with multiple acceptances commenting so negatively on a thread meant for people who currently have no As? Feels like a slap in the face, wouldn't you say?
This isn’t a thread meant for people with no A’s. It’s meant for students on the waitlist. I’ve contributed a lot more to this thread than that one post that you didn’t like.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
MSU CHM has a CTE date in July. They were prob talking about PTE!
I hope not. He said in the email it said CTE was April 30, so he withdrew.

Edit: he just double checked and confirmed what you said. He read it wrong.

Reactions: physiogirl2019

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted off the waitlist for my first acceptance today. I'd like to thank @Goro for helping with school list and this thread for the support. Thanks guys, I'm crying!!!
Congrats stranger! Go blow of some steam for the rest of us. Hopefully this will snowball into other acceptances.

pieceofmeat96

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This isn’t a thread meant for people with no A’s. It’s meant for students on the waitlist. I’ve contributed a lot more to this thread than that one post that you didn’t like.
People are just implying that you should try to get some perspective on the process. You had a high LizzyM, a lot of interviews, and 8 acceptances, which means you were an insanely strong candidate. Not everything works out for everyone (i.e. gets into their dream or top several choices) - that's life.

People who post on reddit, especially at this point of time, are probably getting of a waitlist and struggled a lot during the cycle when you were interviewing and receiving acceptances. There's nothing wrong in this - people celebrate their successes in various ways. I'm sure you can do a post where you talk about your 8 acceptances and you'd get plenty of upvotes. You're choosing to go about it differently, which I don't blame/criticize you for, people have different priorities. All I'm saying is that it's good to get some perspective in parts of admissions that are out of your control, recognize that you're going to be a physician, tune out the noise, realize that decisions are not personal, and work hard at the next step.

Dec 26, 2018
I'm not doubting that you have. That doesn't mean you should go that route. Your comment is read along the lines of "You're annoying me for celebrating a difficult occasion you overcame." When you've already overcome that barrier yourself, and multiple times at that. You say this on a thread meant to celebrate that very thing, as many may not have overcome that hurdle themselves. Can you see why your comment may have been in bad taste to those currently waiting?

Just to be clear... I'm not in this cycle, rather I'm applying next. So I'm not personally offended. You just chose a bad thread to express your disdain for those students comments. Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptances. I'm hoping to be in your shoes in a year.

May 2, 2018
Status
People are just implying that you should try to get some perspective on the process. You had a high LizzyM, a lot of interviews, and 8 acceptances, which means you were an insanely strong candidate. Not everything works out for everyone (i.e. gets into their dream or top several choices) - that's life.

People who post on reddit, especially at this point of time, are probably getting of a waitlist and struggled a lot during the cycle when you were interviewing and receiving acceptances. There's nothing wrong in this - people celebrate their successes in various ways. I'm sure you can do a post where you talk about your 8 acceptances and you'd get plenty of upvotes. You're choosing to go about it differently, which I don't blame/criticize you for, people have different priorities. All I'm saying is that it's good to get some perspective in parts of admissions that are out of your control, recognize that you're going to be a physician, tune out the noise, realize that decisions are not personal, and work hard at the next step.
Okay, I understand. My point was not to make it seem like I’m not happy for these people. I genuinely am. But at a point it becomes spam and overtakes other topics on the front page on reddit. It’s like opening a news website and seeing the same thing posted 100 times. I’m just saying it would be much preferable to have a thread for waitlisted students where they can post their success stories, like this thread, rather than have all the students post individual threads. Imagine if the opening forum of SDN was just students posting their story of how they got accepted from the waitlist, all as individual threads. It clutters the message board.

Reactions: StanleyYelnats
May 2, 2018
Status
I'm not doubting that you have. That doesn't mean you should go that route. Your comment is read along the lines of "You're annoying me for celebrating a difficult occasion you overcame." When you've already overcome that barrier yourself, and multiple times at that. You say this on a thread meant to celebrate that very thing, as many may not have overcome that hurdle themselves. Can you see why your comment may have been in bad taste to those currently waiting?

Just to be clear... I'm not in this cycle, rather I'm applying next. So I'm not personally offended. You just chose a bad thread to express your disdain for those students comments. Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptances. I'm hoping to be in your shoes in a year.
Okay, got it. Read my post above, I didn’t intend for it to be interpreted that way, but it seems some people have. I apologize for that.

Reactions: drchs
Jun 3, 2018
Harvard's CTE deadline is in early June. Do you guys think that that will jumpstart WL movement, since if Harvard has vacancies after their CTE deadline they'll start admitting people off of their WL who might hold acceptances at other schools and that'll trickle down? @gyngyn

Reactions: soontobedoc123
Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Ya, that's the school I was accepted to (and would LOVE to attend). They sent us an email explaining we needed to PTE by May 1 or else our acceptance would be withdrawn. CTE is July 24 (just checked).
I’m glad they did that. I would also love to go there. Glad I wasn’t kicked off the WL lol

Reactions: ivva5363
Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
We are like the pilgrims in Chaucer's, The Canterbury Tales on their way to Canterbury from London to visit the shrine of Thomas Beckett. The best teller of a tale wins a free dinner. All complain about the state of the Church.

We have all kinds of pilgrims here. Those with multiple acceptances seeking the optimal school off the waitlist because they don't like some aspects of their PTE school, "too much in the desert", "too southern", "not enough prestige", "too far from home and loved ones". We have many seeking their first acceptance. Some are looking for a better financial deal. All have legitimate claims. And we even have an adcom, now playing the role of the Pardoner!

Who will win the free meal for the best told tale? And let's celebrate all acceptances!

Last edited:

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
Accepted off the waitlist for my first acceptance today. I'd like to thank @Goro for helping with school list and this thread for the support. Thanks guys, I'm crying!!!
congratulations!!! you are going to be a doctor!!!! that is amazing.

Reactions: ZukosRedemption

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Apr 15, 2019
Status
I wonder if this is gonna happen to anyone, karmic punishment lol

View attachment 262918
I feel like this is going to start happening to the people who are holding onto multiple acceptances and then they will be the ones complaining. And honestly I won't feel bad for them because it was their own fault that they didn't listen to the guidelines, and they made it harder for the rest of us.

Oct 25, 2018
I feel like this is going to start happening to the people who are holding onto multiple acceptances and then they will be the ones complaining. And honestly I won't feel bad for them because it was their own fault that they didn't listen to the guidelines, and they made it harder for the rest of us.
To be fair we dont know how many candidates are even doing this. Though if its even like 5 - 10 % that adds up to a 1000 or so spots around the country.

Apr 15, 2019
Status
To be fair we dont know how many candidates are even doing this. Though if its even like 5 - 10 % that adds up to a 1000 or so spots around the country.
That may be true but for those who are doing it, its unfair and unethical. Its just bothersome because every single one of has worked hard and now its not a level playing field because some people are too selfish to care.

Reactions: ZFox
Oct 25, 2018
That may be true but for those who are doing it, its unfair and unethical. Its just bothersome because every single one of has worked hard and now its not a level playing field because some people are too selfish to care.
I think its fair to be frustrated with this process, believe me I know. I just don't think we know enough about the situation to say that this is having a significant impact on waitlist movement.

Nov 13, 2018
Status
I think its fair to be frustrated with this process, believe me I know. I just don't think we know enough about the situation to say that this is having a significant impact on waitlist movement.
^this. might be a little bit of movement closer to CTE deadlines. No saying how much at all.

Reactions: ivva5363
Oct 25, 2018
^this. might be a little bit of movement closer to CTE deadlines. No saying how much at all.
I do think there still will be a significant amount of movement. @gyngyn has stated he believes so as well. One of my schools stated in the interviews they are being extremely conservative compared to last cycle. My point was that its hard to exactly blame one particular group of people for the slow down in waitlist movement.

red_tangoes

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone else feel like once they started working on all the tasks for applying next year it felt a little like admitting defeat?
It made me motivated. After not getting in anywhere after 5 TX interviews this past cycle, I’m going to apply to AMCAS and AACOMAS, along with TMDSAS again. Completed most of the apps and wrote a new personal statement. Just waiting a couple more weeks before pulling the trigger and spending a bunch of money. An acceptance now would be awesome, but I’m excited for what the next cycle could potentially bring.

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It made me motivated. After not getting in anywhere after 5 TX interviews this past cycle, I’m going to apply to AMCAS and AACOMAS, along with TMDSAS again. Completed most of the apps and wrote a new personal statement. Just waiting a couple more weeks before pulling the trigger and spending a bunch of money. An acceptance now would be awesome, but I’m excited for what the next cycle could potentially bring.
I appreciate your resolve and determination! You rock. I wish I had your enthusiasm but I am so close on my waitlist its hard to focus on anything else.

Mar 27, 2019
Did anyone else feel like once they started working on all the tasks for applying next year it felt a little like admitting defeat?
Yes, in a way, but the decisions are mostly out of our control now. What I can control is to be prepared as possible the next go around in the case that nothing pans out. Just need to be realistic and treat it as a numbers game of progress and eventuality if you keep working it. The time frame and patience required sucks, so best to stay busy and continue improving. Yes, there is a lot of luck involved, but I definitely made mistakes last year. I think my app was still good (and most of the apps here should be decent if we are on WLs), but I was able to continue gaining experience and strengthen all of the writing.

right on. I am also applying aacomas when I chose not to last year.

I appreciate your resolve and determination! You rock. I wish I had your enthusiasm but I am so close on my waitlist its hard to focus on anything else.
Well, if you are really close on the waitlist, that is harder. Rooting for u

Dec 26, 2018
I hear that you can message committees to find our what was wrong with your application. Is that looked poorly vs well upon? Do you get direct/specific answers, or (in general as I'm sure each school may be different) are they more general with nothing of merit?

Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If everyone is so competitive as they say in rejection emails, and there is a physician shortage in the field, what’s holding back from accepting more? Each new student will bring the revenue needed for additional costs. I guess at the end of the day it’s doctors that decide how many new doctors will enter the healthcare system. Protecting the prestigiousness of the profession? I find this whole concept ironic.

5yewy5r

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If everyone is so competitive as they say in rejection emails, and there is a physician shortage in the field, what’s holding back from accepting more? Each new student will bring the revenue needed for additional costs. I guess at the end of the day it’s doctors that decide how many new doctors will enter the healthcare system. Protecting the prestigiousness of the profession? I find this whole concept ironic.
I don’t think there is a point in increasing the number of medical student seats without increasing the number of residency spots as well. Currently, a healthy chunk of residency spots are filled by IMGs, but the match will become even tighter if ratio of spots/applicants get closer to 1.

Apparently, it takes an act of Congress to increase residency spots though, and no one wants to pay for it I suppose...

Aug 3, 2018
Status
I don’t think there is a point in increasing the number of medical student seats without increasing the number of residency spots as well. Currently, a healthy chunk of residency spots are filled by IMGs, but the match will become even tighter if ratio of spots/applicants get closer to 1.

Apparently, it takes an act of Congress to increase residency spots though, and no one wants to pay for it I suppose...
There's a decent amount of people who don't match into a residency (which is terrifying as an incoming student, I might add). As the post above said, increasing the number of medical student seats isn't going to fix the physician shortage problem.

Mar 27, 2019
I hear that you can message committees to find our what was wrong with your application. Is that looked poorly vs well upon? Do you get direct/specific answers, or (in general as I'm sure each school may be different) are they more general with nothing of merit?
I have only contacted 2 schools post-interview through phone call. They were both quite specific in terms of going over every aspect of my application and glancing through interviewer/committee notes. One was with the dean and he was able to confirm that my letters were good and did not have red flags (I was concerned about that). He also said that he does not look down upon applicants that are rejected post-interview at this school and encouraged me to re-apply. I have met interviewees along the trail that have returned for interviews after post-II rejections in the previous cycle at various schools.

The advice will be in some ways general because there are so many aspects that can strengthen an app. I was given some advice about structuring my essays and I have a clearer idea about what I need to focus on for better chances next time.

The bottleneck is at the ACGME/Residency level, not medical school admissions. Also, the shortage is described as a lack of distribution in specialty preference as well as location/geography.

Dec 26, 2018
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Whoa, my guy. Let's ease into that complex problem. Say it with me, complex problems do not have simple answers! I don't think this is a fair statement to make. I don't really know much, but from what little research I have done much of it comes down to

1. Money. Who is going to pay for all these new residency positions? If schools expand their seats, where will the funds for the necessary resources come from? While yes, you can cite NYU and Colombia's recent endowments as potential sources, that is far too short-sighted. I'm sure anyone working for a medical school can tell you to run a medical school is not cheap! Congress would need to intervene here... as far as reallocation of funds and how they are currently spent? That was a significant portion of my research. We can sit for tea cause' it's gonna take all day, sir.

2. There are way more international students interested in practicing in the United States than are currently accepted into the US for residency positions. And even after they arrive, there is a huge barrier as far as licensing goes for internationals. They basically need to rego through residency again here to practice. If you have been practicing for years in your country, would you want to do that? I don't know how much research has gone into analyzing the care internationals give vs. USMD doctors, so I won't speculate. I do know that international candidates are more likely to go into primary care though and work in more rural areas. I'm not saying to get rid of the program entirely, but there definitely has to be a better way to make this transition.

Apr 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
This really depends. For example, my school does not give any information on this, but I heard that some schools can even share file notes with you, which is probably super helpful. Just call and ask.

Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Whoa, my guy. Let's ease into that complex problem. Say it with me, complex problems do not have simple answers! I don't think this is a fair statement to make. I don't really know much, but from what little research I have done much of it comes down to

1. Money. Who is going to pay for all these new residency positions? If schools expand their seats, where will the funds for the necessary resources come from? While yes, you can cite NYU and Colombia's recent endowments as potential sources, that is far too short-sighted. I'm sure anyone working for a medical school can tell you to run a medical school is not cheap! Congress would need to intervene here... as far as reallocation of funds and how they are currently spent? That was a significant portion of my research. We can sit for tea cause' it's gonna take all day, sir.

2. There are way more international students interested in practicing in the United States than are currently accepted into the US for residency positions. And even after they arrive, there is a huge barrier as far as licensing goes for internationals. They basically need to rego through residency again here to practice. If you have been practicing for years in your country, would you want to do that? I don't know how much research has gone into analyzing the care internationals give vs. USMD doctors, so I won't speculate. I do know that international candidates are more likely to go into primary care though and work in more rural areas. I'm not saying to get rid of the program entirely, but there definitely has to be a better way to make this transition.
Would you say that residents do not contribute to a hospital’s revenue? I understanding there must be a supervising physician but isn’t more residents = more patients served ? Or do I have it wrong

Mar 12, 2019
Status
The problem is that we really don't know what any of them is doing! CTE has only been chosen (as of now) by less than half of applicants. Even if they have reduced to one, the PTE's (and those who have not chosen anything) are still the majority. How would you interpret this if you still had more than the number needed to fill?
It could mean you have plenty...or it could mean you should be taking a boatload off the waitlist.
Can you see what proportion of students holding an acceptance to your school hold an acceptance to another?