Apr 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Emailed my waitlist school yesterday and they basically said "we don't know what's going on with waitlists this year, but even if we did we wouldn't tell you" (they were quite nice about it tho tbh). Not a huge surprise lol. They said they think the class will likely be filled as early as June which makes me think they expect minimal movement :\
How does this compare to previous years for this particular school? Do they usually have limited WL movement? Also, is it one of those schools that start in July, and that's why they say the class will be filled by June?

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn Do you happen to know specifics about which schools are delaying the bulk of the WL movement until June or is this a general trend that you have noticed?
This is a widespread trend. Nobody knows what we are doing. We are just making it up as we go along.

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
re-applying while also holding some hope that it might work out this cycle is extremely difficult and expensive. It should not be this way :(
This is true but at the same time we have a lot of CTE dates coming up which should move WL along. I would say its still safe to be cautiously optimistic.

Sep 12, 2018
Feeling neurotic and want some fodder for magical thinking, does anyone have a link to that thread that posted an excel table of post-ii acceptance rates for a bunch of schools?

• Haha
Reactions: Meridian17
Jun 10, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Feeling neurotic and want some fodder for magical thinking, does anyone have a link to that thread that posted an excel table of post-ii acceptance rates for a bunch of schools?
I do not unfortunately, but I think it's on Reddit floating around. But as an aside with the new rules it'd be extremely helpful for future applicants if the US News report included post WL acceptance rates. Not sure how likely that is though.

May 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I
is there anyone else here who can relate to this:

being at a job that you really and truly cannot stand? My work has gotten to the point where I genuinely and thoroughly dread each day. Sometimes I drag my feet in the morning for those few extra moments of peace before I get to spend 9 hours having my soul sucked out through my eyes. The culture is toxic, and based in pointing fingers and laying blame. People undermine each other, and there isn't a sense of teamwork or camaraderie. My SO is friends with many of their coworkers and they sometimes go out and get drinks and spend time together, and I envy them so much. I so wanted to have something like that when I started in the workforce.

It frustrates me because I thought I could hang on to this job while waiting on medical schools, and could finally feel comfortable enough to quit sometime this month and move on to a future I could only hope would be different. But now I have no clue if medical school is going to happen. I worry about if/when I should start a job hunt (obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I will not spend more time being miserable here lol). I just want to know what's going to happen in my own damn life!

AH. It feels good to get that out. Such a rough time this is, truly.
I couldn’t have voiced my situation better myself...

Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone tried calling the school(s) you're waitlisted at to get insight into projected waitlist movement? I've been thinking about calling but don't want to bother them and also think I may just get a very vague response. Anyone get any helpful information by calling?
Called and was a very pointless phone call

Apr 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congratz!!! That's awesome! SO Happy for you! I hope to join you all on the acceptance band-wagon soon!
You all are an inspiration for us folks still waiting <3

Jun 7, 2018
Congratz!!! That's awesome! SO Happy for you! I hope to join you all on the acceptance band-wagon soon!
You all are an inspiration for us folks still waiting <3
IDK if you were referring to my post or the previous one, but if it's mine I think you misread it a bit xD

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right?

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...
I’m leaning towards no. From the aamc site, schools can only see any info about you if they’ve a) accepted you or b) WL you after April 30. Schools likely have no indication of your status if they’re not in one of those two categories. Another caveat- schools seem to only be able to see decisions when you pick CTE. I haven’t heard anything about PTE so I’m guessing only your accepted school can see that

There’s no harm in writing an LOI but chances are it’s not gonna do too much unless you have another A to leverage. Shoot your shot
School arent willing to reveal much is the general consensus
It also seems like schools are playing it by ear. Plus there’s a disconnect between admissions office people and adcoms depending on the school. They don’t necessarily talk to each other about this stuff
What is tomorrow the deadline for again? DO schools? My WL school took a handful off the WL last year on the 15th so I am hoping for the same.
I know Tomorrow is the first CTE deadline for some schools. The next one I’ve heard is the 20th. Hoping there’s Some movement after those days

Feb 25, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I am accepted to School A (which starts super early and does not require CTE) and am planning on attending it as of now. Could School B (where I am waitlisted) offer me an acceptance once I already begin classes at School A? I am not really sure how School B would even know about my situation if School A does not require CTE.

Jan 12, 2019
I am accepted to School A (which starts super early and does not require CTE) and am planning on attending it as of now. Could School B (where I am waitlisted) offer me an acceptance once I already begin classes at School A? I am not really sure how School B would even know about my situation if School A does not require CTE.
School A would probably require CTE at some point. They’ll probably make you do it on the first day of orientation lol

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
I know Tomorrow is the first CTE deadline for some schools. The next one I’ve heard is the 20th. Hoping there’s Some movement after those days
Actually a couple schools had their CTE deadline on April 30.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Is the general consensus that waitlist movement as been limited due to the uncertainty created by the new admission rules? And does this mean we could expect waitlist movement later on?
I would say it would be limited by the fact that schools refused to put deadlines in place for their matriculants this year. If anything it sounds like there may be a lot of movement 3 weeks before classes start since that’s when the majority of CTE deadlines are

Hirro

2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Is the general consensus that waitlist movement as been limited due to the uncertainty created by the new admission rules? And does this mean we could expect waitlist movement later on?
Everyone is confused and noone knows what's going on. AAMC, adcoms, students. Noone is safe from the uncertainty.

Oct 5, 2018
okay question. I know nobody knows for sure but wanted to get some opinions. One of the waitlists I am on you can access their facebook incoming class page. They have about 40 people over the limit of their general class size, and in the past week about 40 have joined where only one person said on the SDN thread that they got off the waitlist. I know not everybody posts on these threads but 40 newly accepted off waitlists seems a lot with only one posting. What do people think is the class actually that filled?

Reactions: rrrandomjourneyer
Jan 12, 2019
okay question. I know nobody knows for sure but wanted to get some opinions. One of the waitlists I am on you can access their facebook incoming class page. They have about 40 people over the limit of their general class size, and in the past week about 40 have joined where only one person said on the SDN thread that they got off the waitlist. I know not everybody posts on these threads but 40 newly accepted off waitlists seems a lot with only one posting. What do people think is the class actually that filled?
It could mean a million things. It could be that people who just decided to go there wanted to join, or current students wanted to join, etc.

Don’t read too much into it because you’ll probably never get an accurate answer. It’ll just wear you down.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Yeah don’t read anything into that. One school I was accepted to, 75% of the FB group members were current students lol.