This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my WL schools rejected a lot of people off the waitlist today. I remain on there. what do i make of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
one of my WL schools rejected a lot of people off the waitlist today. I remain on there. what do i make of this?
I’d guess that they rejected people lower on the list that they knew they wouldn’t get to. So it’s probably good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is tomorrow the deadline for again? DO schools? My WL school took a handful off the WL last year on the 15th so I am hoping for the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting to convince myself that this cycle will have the worst waitlist movement in history.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere on this thread in some form or another, so sorry if this is redundant...

If you have ZERO acceptances and are only on waitlists (which I am), your waitlist schools can tell that you have no acceptances. Therefore, writing a letter of intent to a school (albeit one that is very receptive to updates and LOIs) explicitly stating the phrase "if I am accepted, I will attend" will probably not do much, right?

Recently, I've gotten a little nervous when I see other people get pulled off the WL after writing a letter of intent, but maybe in my case with no acceptances it is meaningless. Some might say you have nothing to lose to write another letter just clarifying your intent, but I don't want to come across as desperate and write a letter when it will have no weight. It really is my first choice school so it's not an empty statement, but maybe it's just unnecessary. Thoughts? I am leaning towards I should probably just be patient and see how the WL movement unfolds...

I’m leaning towards no. From the aamc site, schools can only see any info about you if they’ve a) accepted you or b) WL you after April 30. Schools likely have no indication of your status if they’re not in one of those two categories. Another caveat- schools seem to only be able to see decisions when you pick CTE. I haven’t heard anything about PTE so I’m guessing only your accepted school can see that

There’s no harm in writing an LOI but chances are it’s not gonna do too much unless you have another A to leverage. Shoot your shot
School arent willing to reveal much is the general consensus

It also seems like schools are playing it by ear. Plus there’s a disconnect between admissions office people and adcoms depending on the school. They don’t necessarily talk to each other about this stuff
What is tomorrow the deadline for again? DO schools? My WL school took a handful off the WL last year on the 15th so I am hoping for the same.

I know Tomorrow is the first CTE deadline for some schools. The next one I’ve heard is the 20th. Hoping there’s Some movement after those days

I am accepted to School A (which starts super early and does not require CTE) and am planning on attending it as of now. Could School B (where I am waitlisted) offer me an acceptance once I already begin classes at School A? I am not really sure how School B would even know about my situation if School A does not require CTE.

I am accepted to School A (which starts super early and does not require CTE) and am planning on attending it as of now. Could School B (where I am waitlisted) offer me an acceptance once I already begin classes at School A? I am not really sure how School B would even know about my situation if School A does not require CTE.

School A would probably require CTE at some point. They’ll probably make you do it on the first day of orientation lol

Is the general consensus that waitlist movement as been limited due to the uncertainty created by the new admission rules? And does this mean we could expect waitlist movement later on?

Members don't see this ad :)
We need to change the title of this thread to "Waitlist Support and also NO nobody knows what the new or expected general trends are"

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Is the general consensus that waitlist movement as been limited due to the uncertainty created by the new admission rules? And does this mean we could expect waitlist movement later on?
I would say it would be limited by the fact that schools refused to put deadlines in place for their matriculants this year. If anything it sounds like there may be a lot of movement 3 weeks before classes start since that’s when the majority of CTE deadlines are

Everyone is confused and noone knows what's going on. AAMC, adcoms, students. Noone is safe from the uncertainty.

okay question. I know nobody knows for sure but wanted to get some opinions. One of the waitlists I am on you can access their facebook incoming class page. They have about 40 people over the limit of their general class size, and in the past week about 40 have joined where only one person said on the SDN thread that they got off the waitlist. I know not everybody posts on these threads but 40 newly accepted off waitlists seems a lot with only one posting. What do people think is the class actually that filled?

okay question. I know nobody knows for sure but wanted to get some opinions. One of the waitlists I am on you can access their facebook incoming class page. They have about 40 people over the limit of their general class size, and in the past week about 40 have joined where only one person said on the SDN thread that they got off the waitlist. I know not everybody posts on these threads but 40 newly accepted off waitlists seems a lot with only one posting. What do people think is the class actually that filled?

It could mean a million things. It could be that people who just decided to go there wanted to join, or current students wanted to join, etc.

Don’t read too much into it because you’ll probably never get an accurate answer. It’ll just wear you down.

Reactions: 5 users

Yeah don’t read anything into that. One school I was accepted to, 75% of the FB group members were current students lol.

What did people who have not made it off the waitlist choose to do with their year in case they do not get accepted?

Anyone else getting sick of all the I GOT ACCEPTED posts on Reddit that have like newspapers of text explaining how to always follow your dreams and how everything will work out in the end?

Reactions: 10 users
MSU CHM has a CTE date in July. They were prob talking about PTE!

that sounds accurate. they were the only school among those I interviewed at that actually emphasised a lot about the tool and using it. they have been accepting off WL since 4/30 and just yesterday they rejected some from the WL.

Anyone else getting sick of all the I GOT ACCEPTED posts on Reddit that have like newspapers of text explaining how to always follow your dreams and how everything will work out in the end?

If i am reading this correctly, does yur signature say you have 8 acceptances? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
that sounds accurate. they were the only school among those I interviewed at that actually emphasised a lot about the tool and using it. they have been accepting off WL since 4/30 and just yesterday they rejected some from the WL.

Ya, that's the school I was accepted to (and would LOVE to attend). They sent us an email explaining we needed to PTE by May 1 or else our acceptance would be withdrawn. CTE is July 24 (just checked).

Not particularly. Getting into medical school is something that is difficult, especially when you don't have phenomenal stats as you do. Nothing is wrong with people acknowledging how they managed to overcome the odds because those kinds of posts allow people to feel hope that they can also do the same. You clearly had no trouble getting into med school as you do have 8 acceptances. A lot of us are still struggling to get just one acceptance and disregarding those sentiments as annoying definitely goes against the supportive community that a waitlist support thread is designed to encourage.

Reactions: 23 users

That's a pretty bitter statement to make. They're just happy they got in and are trying to give students the motivation to reapply. Or wait out their waitlist, because you never know.

Also, why is someone with multiple acceptances commenting so negatively on a thread meant for people who currently have no As? Feels like a slap in the face, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: 21 users
Okay. Those were my feelings and I asked if anyone else felt the same. Clearly you didn’t and that’s fine.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That's a pretty bitter statement to make. They're just happy they got in and are trying to give students the motivation to reapply. Or wait out their waitlist, because you never know.

Also, why is someone with multiple acceptances commenting so negatively on a thread meant for people who currently have no As? Feels like a slap in the face, wouldn't you say?
This isn’t a thread meant for people with no A’s. It’s meant for students on the waitlist. I’ve contributed a lot more to this thread than that one post that you didn’t like.

Accepted off the waitlist for my first acceptance today. I'd like to thank @Goro for helping with school list and this thread for the support. Thanks guys, I'm crying!!!

• Love
Reactions: 65 users
Accepted off the waitlist for my first acceptance today. I'd like to thank @Goro for helping with school list and this thread for the support. Thanks guys, I'm crying!!!
Congrats stranger! Go blow of some steam for the rest of us. Hopefully this will snowball into other acceptances.

This isn’t a thread meant for people with no A’s. It’s meant for students on the waitlist. I’ve contributed a lot more to this thread than that one post that you didn’t like.

People are just implying that you should try to get some perspective on the process. You had a high LizzyM, a lot of interviews, and 8 acceptances, which means you were an insanely strong candidate. Not everything works out for everyone (i.e. gets into their dream or top several choices) - that's life.

People who post on reddit, especially at this point of time, are probably getting of a waitlist and struggled a lot during the cycle when you were interviewing and receiving acceptances. There's nothing wrong in this - people celebrate their successes in various ways. I'm sure you can do a post where you talk about your 8 acceptances and you'd get plenty of upvotes. You're choosing to go about it differently, which I don't blame/criticize you for, people have different priorities. All I'm saying is that it's good to get some perspective in parts of admissions that are out of your control, recognize that you're going to be a physician, tune out the noise, realize that decisions are not personal, and work hard at the next step.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

I'm not doubting that you have. That doesn't mean you should go that route. Your comment is read along the lines of "You're annoying me for celebrating a difficult occasion you overcame." When you've already overcome that barrier yourself, and multiple times at that. You say this on a thread meant to celebrate that very thing, as many may not have overcome that hurdle themselves. Can you see why your comment may have been in bad taste to those currently waiting?

Just to be clear... I'm not in this cycle, rather I'm applying next. So I'm not personally offended. You just chose a bad thread to express your disdain for those students comments. Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptances. I'm hoping to be in your shoes in a year.

Reactions: 4 users
People are just implying that you should try to get some perspective on the process. You had a high LizzyM, a lot of interviews, and 8 acceptances, which means you were an insanely strong candidate. Not everything works out for everyone (i.e. gets into their dream or top several choices) - that's life.

People who post on reddit, especially at this point of time, are probably getting of a waitlist and struggled a lot during the cycle when you were interviewing and receiving acceptances. There's nothing wrong in this - people celebrate their successes in various ways. I'm sure you can do a post where you talk about your 8 acceptances and you'd get plenty of upvotes. You're choosing to go about it differently, which I don't blame/criticize you for, people have different priorities. All I'm saying is that it's good to get some perspective in parts of admissions that are out of your control, recognize that you're going to be a physician, tune out the noise, realize that decisions are not personal, and work hard at the next step.
Okay, I understand. My point was not to make it seem like I’m not happy for these people. I genuinely am. But at a point it becomes spam and overtakes other topics on the front page on reddit. It’s like opening a news website and seeing the same thing posted 100 times. I’m just saying it would be much preferable to have a thread for waitlisted students where they can post their success stories, like this thread, rather than have all the students post individual threads. Imagine if the opening forum of SDN was just students posting their story of how they got accepted from the waitlist, all as individual threads. It clutters the message board.

I'm not doubting that you have. That doesn't mean you should go that route. Your comment is read along the lines of "You're annoying me for celebrating a difficult occasion you overcame." When you've already overcome that barrier yourself, and multiple times at that. You say this on a thread meant to celebrate that very thing, as many may not have overcome that hurdle themselves. Can you see why your comment may have been in bad taste to those currently waiting?

Just to be clear... I'm not in this cycle, rather I'm applying next. So I'm not personally offended. You just chose a bad thread to express your disdain for those students comments. Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptances. I'm hoping to be in your shoes in a year.
Okay, got it. Read my post above, I didn’t intend for it to be interpreted that way, but it seems some people have. I apologize for that.

Harvard's CTE deadline is in early June. Do you guys think that that will jumpstart WL movement, since if Harvard has vacancies after their CTE deadline they'll start admitting people off of their WL who might hold acceptances at other schools and that'll trickle down? @gyngyn

Ya, that's the school I was accepted to (and would LOVE to attend). They sent us an email explaining we needed to PTE by May 1 or else our acceptance would be withdrawn. CTE is July 24 (just checked).

I’m glad they did that. I would also love to go there. Glad I wasn’t kicked off the WL lol

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
And in four years, you'll be a doctor!
:=|:-): :=|:-): :=|:-): :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :woot: :woot: :woot: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :happy: :happy: :happy: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::banana:

Now go read this:

• Haha
I wonder if this is gonna happen to anyone, karmic punishment lol

fctduqqf1fy21.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I wonder if this is gonna happen to anyone, karmic punishment lol

View attachment 262918
I feel like this is going to start happening to the people who are holding onto multiple acceptances and then they will be the ones complaining. And honestly I won't feel bad for them because it was their own fault that they didn't listen to the guidelines, and they made it harder for the rest of us.

I feel like this is going to start happening to the people who are holding onto multiple acceptances and then they will be the ones complaining. And honestly I won't feel bad for them because it was their own fault that they didn't listen to the guidelines, and they made it harder for the rest of us.

To be fair we dont know how many candidates are even doing this. Though if its even like 5 - 10 % that adds up to a 1000 or so spots around the country.

Reactions: 3 users
To be fair we dont know how many candidates are even doing this. Though if its even like 5 - 10 % that adds up to a 1000 or so spots around the country.
That may be true but for those who are doing it, its unfair and unethical. Its just bothersome because every single one of has worked hard and now its not a level playing field because some people are too selfish to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.