This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked over 20 schools for feedback that I applied to. 6 of them agreed to it, and only 4 were helpful (not generic).

Most said an MCAT retake is not essential, despite my 124 CARS (511 overall). They said my nonclinical volunteering could have more hours. So sometimes, what you think is the biggest issue is not always the biggest issue.

I have plenty of everything else, EC-wise, however. And I got 3 IIs. So I do not think I need to make any major changes. I am applying back-to-back cycles.
Yeah retaking a score like that is tough. Probably not needed. At least volunteer hours are simple to accumulate!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone in the Hofstra thread said that 60% of the current M2 class was accepted off the waitlist. There has been only 2 reported acceptances after April 30th. So....
The student who told me about this did say that Hofstra missed its mark pretty badly that year. This year, I'm assuming they were able to predict yield much better, irrespective of the CTE/PTE changes. Guessing from new additions to the facebook group, there have been at least 5-10 acceptances off the waitlist this year.

Last edited:
The student who told me about this did say that Hofstra missed its mark pretty badly that year. This year, I'm assuming they were able to predict yield much better, irrespective of the CTE/PTE changes. Guessing from new additions to the facebook group, there have been at least 5-10 acceptances off the waitlist this year.

Hofstra has been taking people off the waitlist. I was really hoping there will be a large wave of delayed waitlist movement in June/July. :(So I guess I just have to move on with the new cycle then. Thank you for sharing and you are infinitely more helpful than the admission staff I talked to over the phone. I got some kind of closure, even when it is not the news I would like to hear. Thank you!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hofstra has been taking people off the waitlist. I was really hoping there will be a large wave of delayed waitlist movement in June/July. :(So I guess I just have to move on with the new cycle then. Thank you for sharing and you are infinitely more helpful than the admission staff I talked to over the phone. I got some kind of closure, even when it is not the news I would like to hear. Thank you!
130, only 4 of whom are current students. However, there are a LOT of students who have withdrawn but still remain in the FB group.

Reactions: 2 users
A few CTE dates on June 15th, hopefully that means movement this week

Reactions: 8 users
Long time lurker who has been commiserating with ya'll. Figured I'd make an account to share that I was accepted off my one and only waitlist recently, to my dream school!! Big time reinventor here so feel free to shoot me a message for more info/anecdotal suggestions Best of luck to those still waiting, you're all gonna make the best docs one day!

Reactions: 44 users
Long time lurker who has been commiserating with ya'll. Figured I'd make an account to share that I was accepted off my one and only waitlist recently, to my dream school!! Big time reinventor here so feel free to shoot me a message for more info/anecdotal suggestions Best of luck to those still waiting, you're all gonna make the best docs one day!
Congrats long time listener, first time caller

Reactions: 8 users
Can you share how you reinvent yourself to become more competitive? Thank you!

Also, congrats and well-deserved!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, I am trying to compile a list of CTE deadlines. Anyways if you know of or interviewed at any school follow the link and upload the dates. Directions are attached. This is a list of nearly every medical school from MSAR (except texas schools, sorry but feel free to add them as well) and I am trying to get all the deadlines in one place.

Was accepted last week off one of my waitlists and am super stoked! PTE’d and was typing my withdrawal from my other waitlist this morning when They called and accepted me?! Ah the timing. Surprised and bless to now have options when it’s mid June. The waitlists are moving so keep your heads up! Hoping one of you gets my soon to be open seat :)

Reactions: 34 users
Was accepted last week off one of my waitlists and am super stoked! PTE’d and was typing my withdrawal from my other waitlist this morning when They called and accepted me?! Ah the timing. Surprised and bless to now have options when it’s mid June. The waitlists are moving so keep your heads up! Hoping one of you gets my soon to be open seat :)
Congratulations!! May I ask which school?

What a nice way to end a drawn-out application cycle!:clap:

Reactions: 7 users
so I guess July really is going to be crazy if that is the expectation.
That’s what everyone seems to be saying. Not really sure. I personally don’t think there would be a ton of movement that late. I wouldn’t expect the schools to put themselves in a position to have to scramble like that. Then again, that’s just my thoughts. I would think most schools have slightly overaccepted at this point, expecting a few students to leave.

That’s what everyone seems to be saying. Not really sure. I personally don’t think there would be a ton of movement that late. I wouldn’t expect the schools to put themselves in a position to have to scramble like that. Then again, that’s just my thoughts. I would think most schools have slightly overaccepted at this point, expecting a few students to leave.
well i need them to put themselves in said position.

Accepted this morning! Good bye alternate list.

• Love
Reactions: 42 users
Congrats!!! Are you committing to UK or UofL?

Can someone explain to me again how CTE deadlines will affect waitlist movement? Cause I still don't get it. If all classes are full (probably true at this point) and no one is holding multiple acceptances (probably mostly true at this point), every PTE should turn into a CTE and we should see no waitlist movement. I don't see a mechanism for any more movement than the usual trickle coming from people withdrawing from every school altogether to occur.
I think the key word there is “mostly.” Also people are still getting off waitlists will cause them to leave other spots open at other schools as long as they have other acceptances.

Can someone explain to me again how CTE deadlines will affect waitlist movement? Cause I still don't get it. If all classes are full (probably true at this point) and no one is holding multiple acceptances (probably mostly true at this point), every PTE should turn into a CTE and we should see no waitlist movement. I don't see a mechanism for any more movement than the usual trickle coming from people withdrawing from every school altogether to occur.
Because, some schools will tell a person to Commit by their deadline or lose their spot. If half the class is carrying the PTE designation only and are too passive, then the seats will be open

not every school is using the CTE/PTE tool, there fore if a student CTE/PTE they have to drop off of those schools, there are atleast 10 schools that I have found not using the tool, thus around 1000 students that could still be sitting on more than 1 acceptance, essencially you could hold an acceptance at 1 school that has PTE and one that does not depending on each individual school requirements. also dropping off waitlists makes them shorter and thus more likely that a student will get in.

Also, the TMDSAS (Texas schools) are separate. Should a student get accepted into their program, they may then drop their PTE or CTE. This would add some movement.

Because, some schools will tell a person to Commit by their deadline or lose their spot. If half the class is carrying the PTE designation only and are too passive, then the seats will be open
I will never put it past Premeds to be lazy.

Is it bad that I have not contacted my waitlist school just to check in since beginning of May?

I wonder how true it is that no one is holding multiple acceptances. Even if it is mostly true, that's going to open a lot of seats once people have to commit to a single school (which doesn't even appear to be the case with CTE). With schools being slow with some financial aid packages, I could easily see that number being impactful. I know for a fact one of my WL schools hasn't released scholarship info yet. It stinks, but I don't blame applicants for waiting to know what the true COA is going to be before making a decision. Applicants also try to get schools to match scholarship offers which may take a lot of time. There was just a school X vs school Y post on the sub reddit.

@gyngyn what are your thoughts about this? I have been wondering the same thing

@gyngyn what are your thoughts about this? I have been wondering the same thing
As none of the current designations (CTE, PTE) are enforced by the AAMC, and because many schools are still trying to figure out out how they will require students to use them, it is entirely likely that there will be spots opened up by students who are accepted off a waitlist that open up a spot at a (previously) filled school.

@gyngyn ,

Are most schools at this point at a 1:1 ratio for pulling students off the waitlist when an accepted student drops their acceptance?

@gyngyn ,

Are most schools at this point at a 1:1 ratio for pulling students off the waitlist when an accepted student drops their acceptance?
Many are still hoping for more withdrawals to hit their target class size. This is what is messing up my prediction of a dramatic June increase in WL action.

Many are still hoping for more withdrawals to hit their target class size. This is what is messing up my prediction of a dramatic June increase in WL action.

Dang it. Med schools need to get a wee bit bigger.

Have you re-evaluated your previous conjecture? When should we expect WL movement en masse? :shrug:

I wonder how true it is that no one is holding multiple acceptances. Even if it is mostly true, that's going to open a lot of seats once people have to commit to a single school (which doesn't even appear to be the case with CTE). With schools being slow with some financial aid packages, I could easily see that number being impactful. I know for a fact one of my WL schools hasn't released scholarship info yet. It stinks, but I don't blame applicants for waiting to know what the true COA is going to be before making a decision. Applicants also try to get schools to match scholarship offers which may take a lot of time. There was just a school X vs school Y post on the sub reddit.

I know someone holding two acceptances, tho it will be one by the end of the week. Also, the person accepted a few posts above, has 2 acceptances it at the moment, so things are still fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.