This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but at least it is moving, I was very worried a few weeks ago when my school did not accept anyone for a 7 day period
That is me right now. From what I know, my target school hasn’t accepted anybody from the IS waitlist in like 2 weeks. ‍♀️

Members don't see this ad.

Many are still hoping for more withdrawals to hit their target class size. This is what is messing up my prediction of a dramatic June increase in WL action.
Can you tell us anything about ULSOM and UKCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn are demographics destiny in if you get off a waitlist? as in schools try to replace an applicant with a waitlisted one that is of the same background and same scores? so you wouldn't see a male applicant replace a female applicant for example

@gyngyn are demographics destiny in if you get off a waitlist? as in schools try to replace an applicant with a waitlisted one that is of the same background and same scores? so you wouldn't see a male applicant replace a female applicant for example
If a school is left with very few women and a man withdraws, he will be replaced by a woman (all things being equal).
MCAT and gpa may well take a backseat to the enthusiasm of the committee.
The waitlist is an opportunity to re-balance a class in line with a school's mission, not just the school's stats. Unless the school's stats=the mission!

Reactions: 4 users
If a school is left with very few women and a man withdraws, he will be replaced by a woman (all things being equal).
The waitlist is an opportunity to re-balance a class in line with a school's mission, not just the school's stats. Unless the school's stats=the mission!
thx for the explanation

talk to your school, I can speak for Boonshoft as it is a true numbered list (i.e if student 1 withdraws then student 2 is accepted). West Virginia on the other hand used a grouped waitlist meaning that you could be in multiple groups based on instate/ out of state, life experience, non-traditional ect. and you can be pooled based on that. It is a school specfic thing though but in my experience you can call and often the school will disclose it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight! Would unique experience (e.g. older applicant with leadership/engineering work experience vs. recent college grad) be factored into the same diversity equation / class rebalancing?

Would unique experience (e.g. older applicant with leadership/engineering work experience vs. recent college grad) be factored into the same diversity equation / class rebalancing?
Only insofar as this "uniqueness" contributed to the committee's enthusiasm (vote).

talk to your school, I can speak for Boonshoft as it is a true numbered list (i.e if student 1 withdraws then student 2 is accepted). West Virginia on the other hand used a grouped waitlist meaning that you could be in multiple groups based on instate/ out of state, life experience, non-traditional ect. and you can be pooled based on that. It is a school specfic thing though but in my experience you can call and often the school will disclose it.
A truly ranked waitlist is pretty rare (for the reasons I stated). They do exist, though. If a school has a ranked waitlist, they may not deviate.

A truly ranked waitlist is pretty rare (for the reasons I stated). They do exist, though. If a school has a ranked waitlist, they may not deviate.
if a waitlist is truly ranked, wouldn't they give out ranks rather than tiers?

Members don't see this ad :)
if a waitlist is truly ranked, wouldn't they give out ranks rather than tiers?

The school I’m waitlisted at is truly ranked and gave alternate candidates their exact numbers and they don’t deviate at all. It’s kind of torture, kind of nice to know exactly where I stand at all times.

Reactions: 5 users
Haha highkey jealous. My school told us "we rank applicants when we form the waitlist, under no circumstances will these ranks be released," yikes fam
Same tho! One of the schools I’m waitlisted at used to give out exact numbers and had the tier system and everything but now they’re not giving out any information as to where we are on the waitlist or anything and apparently they’re not doing “tiers” anymore. They looked at our GPAs, MCAT, and interviews before ranking us, but I don’t understand the difference between a tiered and nontiered system. The other school I’m waitlisted at apparently doesn’t even do ranks and just has an alternate pool so I don’t even know how they will pull people from the pool here. Can @gyngyn explain to me how that works? I’m still a little confused.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker on this thread and wanted to say reading everyone's thoughts on this year's cycle has been super helpful getting me through this stressful period. Everyone has told me to stay off SDN but this thread has helped me maintain my sanity so I thank you all for that :)

I was lucky enough to receive my first acceptance today from one of my waitlisted schools and am thrilled that I will not have to reapply for this upcoming app cycle. After graduating from undergrad 7 years ago and working hard to repair my GPA, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to finally become a doctor. Unfortunately, the school I received the acceptance from is insanely expensive (as is expected for med school) and I am currently on the waitlist still at a California state school. I previously sent an LOI to this school back in April (before April 30th) without any med school acceptances and have not yet heard back from the school. I was wondering if it would be too much if I reached out again to let them know they are still my top choice or if it is too late at this point to keep trying? Any advice is appreciated and again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone who was ready to give up, please do NOT give up hope.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Hi everyone. Long time lurker on this thread and wanted to say reading everyone's thoughts on this year's cycle has been super helpful getting me through this stressful period. Everyone has told me to stay off SDN but this thread has helped me maintain my sanity so I thank you all for that :)

I was lucky enough to receive my first acceptance today from one of my waitlisted schools and am thrilled that I will not have to reapply for this upcoming app cycle. After graduating from undergrad 7 years ago and working hard to repair my GPA, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to finally become a doctor. Unfortunately, the school I received the acceptance from is insanely expensive (as is expected for med school) and I am currently on the waitlist still at a California state school. I previously sent an LOI to this school back in April (before April 30th) without any med school acceptances and have not yet heard back from the school. I was wondering if it would be too much if I reached out again to let them know they are still my top choice or if it is too late at this point to keep trying? Any advice is appreciated and again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone who was ready to give up, please do NOT give up hope.

I'm about 6 years post-undergrad too. I can't help you with regards to your question but I feel better that you added that detail about yourself since that is something that stresses me out immensely. Thanks for being open!

Reactions: 5 users
Can @gyngyn explain to me how that works? I’m still a little confused.
You might imagine a system in which the waitlist is stratified by the vote. For example, in a 10 person sub-committee the first stratum would be 10/0 votes. the second tier would be 9/1...
This would result in 10 tiers. Depending on the usual number needed from the WL the lowest tier(s) could be let go.

Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn Would it be appropriate to send another LOI to a school, if it has been over a month since that last one was sent in?

You might imagine a system in which the waitlist is stratified by the vote. For example, in a 10 person sub-committee the first stratum would be 10/0 votes. the second tier would be 9/1...
This would result in 10 tiers. Depending on the usual number needed from the WL the lowest tier(s) could be let go.
wouldn't you assume a vote that is 5/5 or less is a rejection?

@gyngyn at a school that follows the "alternate pool" schema, would you recommend maybe sending in another LOI or recommendation letter (i.e. from a job position that gives you a huge amount of clinical experience)? Is there any way to stand out or further reiterate interest?

What would a waitlist look like 7-8/10?
Depending on the size of the school, the number of interviews and the size of the committee anything less than 10/10 might be considered for the WL. Depending on the year some 10/10's might go to WL.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Depending on the size of the school, the number of interviews and the size of the committee anything less than 10/10 might be considered for the WL. Depending on the year some 10/10's might go to WL.
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

It absolutely can't hurt to give them another update expressing strong interest, reiterating that you would attend their school if taken off the wait list.

@gyngyn at a school that follows the "alternate pool" schema, would you recommend maybe sending in another LOI or recommendation letter (i.e. from a job position that gives you a huge amount of clinical experience)? Is there any way to stand out or further reiterate interest?
By mid-June, all serious stratification has probably been done. Additional experience is not likely to have an effect. The main thing they want to know is whether you would immediately accept an offer. If you have no other offers, all you can do is offer to drop your other waitlists.

LoE's should go through AMCAS. The type you describe is not likely to move the needle at this point, I'm afraid.

Just submitted my reapp, here's to hoping next cycle is better than this one

Reactions: 7 users
By mid-June, all serious stratification has probably been done. Additional experience is not likely to have an effect. The main thing they want to know is whether you would immediately accept an offer. If you have no other offers, all you can do is offer to drop your other waitlists.

LoE's should go through AMCAS. The type you describe is not likely to move the needle at this point, I'm afraid.
I wish there was some way to show your interest if you have no A's and you're on a single waitlist. :(

Reactions: 4 users
I wish there was some way to show your interest if you have no A's and your on a single waitlist. :(

Tell them you’ll drop your reapplication if you’re taken off the waitlist

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Tell them you’ll drop your reapplication if you’re taken off the waitlist
ahahahaha but then they would miss out on my secondary dollars, so once again doubt it is in their interest.

I wish there was some way to show your interest if you have no A's and you're on a single waitlist. :(

@gyngyn In this situation would you just recommend letting the adcom know you'd absolutely attend if accepted?

I’m waitlisted at two schools. One of them has ranked us according to “overall GPA, MCAT scores, and how well the interviews went” and they will not release rankings this year. The last I heard, an IS waitlisted applicant was accepted 2 weeks ago with a 3.7 GPA and 504 MCAT (and it seems like they’ve given more preference to the GPA than the MCAT because I know someone with a ~3.9/501 who got in on the first day and ~3.7/508 who got in a few weeks ago). My GPA is like 3.68, 502 MCAT, tons of extracurricular (+150 hours of scribing/interpreting, +100 hours of shadowing, 2 years of research, etc), I am IS, and both of my interviewers had voted “yes” for me according to the director of the program. What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn

I’m waitlisted at two schools. One of them has ranked us according to “overall GPA, MCAT scores, and how well the interviews went” and they will not release rankings this year. The last I heard, an IS waitlisted applicant was accepted 2 weeks ago with a 3.7 GPA and 504 MCAT (and it seems like they’ve given more preference to the GPA than the MCAT because I know someone with a ~3.9/501 who got in on the first day and ~3.7/508 who got in a few weeks ago). My GPA is like 3.68, 502 MCAT, tons of extracurricular (+150 hours of scribing/interpreting, +100 hours of shadowing, 2 years of research, etc), I am IS, and both of my interviewers had voted “yes” for me according to the director of the program. What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn
you have to take into account class composition as well.

What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn
I would have to know if yours is the highest stratum, where you were ranked in it and how many more were likely to be needed to fill the class. In short, I have no way of knowing, sorry.

I haven’t heard of any movement at UofL (IS Waitlist) since like 2 weeks ago and I’m freaking out. UK has gone into hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.