2019-2020 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Central Florida

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~38 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing and retail and UCF COM will broke ground on our own hospital this year have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, and Naples and also expand into Ocala and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality and we have partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, as well as medical student Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 350 of 620 residency positions in what will become one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Reactions: 9 users
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~38 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing and retail and UCF COM will broke ground on our own hospital this year have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, and Naples and also expand into Ocala and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality and we have partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, as well as medical student Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 350 of 620 residency positions in what will become one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.
Thoroughly excited to apply here this cycle and move back home!

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M1 at UCF COM here. Happy to answer any questions. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone! Florida resident, hoping for some love from Lake Nona.

Undergrad at UCF. Hoping I get in. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Incoming M1 here, lmk if you have any questions/concerns! Good luck!

what pushed you to UCF v.s. the other schools you had acceptances to? I watched as the school was built - gorgeous setting, great amenities - and hey! it's only a "few FL miles" to Disney ... but ultimately, what made you choose UCF?

Reactions: 1 user
what pushed you to UCF v.s. the other schools you had acceptances to? I watched as the school was built - gorgeous setting, great amenities - and hey! it's only a "few FL miles" to Disney ... but ultimately, what made you choose UCF?
It was honestly a pretty easy decision for me. I think REL says it best above. I thoroughly enjoy the idea of being at a newer, expanding med school. I did have some personal reasons for choosing UCF since it's the closest school to my family and long-term gf [huge deciding factors for me]. I also only had OOS acceptances at the time and a few FL WLs, so getting into UCF really simplified my life [wanted to stay in FL]. Interview day was awesome [it was my first one]. In hindsight, I'd argue that it was the best interview, and I absolutely loved the med school building. At the end of the day, it's a place where I could see myself happy for the next 4 years. Financially, they were the best "bang-for-the-buck." When you look at the tuition cost of UCF with how strong their board scores, it's a win/win. Lastly, the faculty truly go above and beyond for you, and you can feel that in your interactions with them. Heck, even REL is on this SDN page to help you out! (Isn't that enough to want to go here?! :) )

As you mentioned, it's a pretty great area to live in. I've lived in Ocala, Gainesville, and Tampa and I've always wanted to try out Orlando. I also have a few friends that I know that are a year above me and a few in my current class that will make the transition easier.

I can't wait to see how much Lake Nona changes over the next 4 years! If you have any other question, you can PM me as well.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't wait to see how much Lake Nona changes over the next 4 years! If you have any other question, you can PM me as well.
Thank you!! I commuted between Tampa (Westchase area off Veterans) to UCF Research on a daily basis (yes, 250 miles r/trip every day). I loved watching the school and area grow - once a wide open field of green now has shiny new buildings!

What about housing over there? Do most live in that area or by Celebration or? east side? I know you've not started yet but presumably, you've started seeing from the FB page what others are doing?

UCF would be good for me in many aspects (if they'd let me enter). My son could finish ugrad there before applying to med school himself.

Thank you - and CONGRATS!!!

Thank you!! I commuted between Tampa (Westchase area off Veterans) to UCF Research on a daily basis (yes, 250 miles r/trip every day). I loved watching the school and area grow - once a wide open field of green now has shiny new buildings!

What about housing over there? Do most live in that area or by Celebration or? east side? I know you've not started yet but presumably, you've started seeing from the FB page what others are doing?

UCF would be good for me in many aspects (if they'd let me enter). My son could finish ugrad there before applying to med school himself.

Thank you - and CONGRATS!!!
Wow! That is one long commute! Surely dedicated to that research :)

I was really only looking at the apartment scene, and there are a lot of apts within a few miles of the school! The complex I'm staying at is less than a mile from UCF. Prime real estate! It seems like many students stay in those or split rent in some houses close by. I'm not sure yet about the "Celebration" part, sorry :D

Wishing you the best!

Wow! That is one long commute! Surely dedicated to that research :)

Wishing you the best!
Thank you - I just worked for Leidos/SAIC that was in the Research Park; not actual research :)

Best of luck to you this coming MS1!!! (Celebration is a little incorporated area off I-4 and 428 - think that's the southern loop)

Thank you - I just worked for Leidos/SAIC that was in the Research Park; not actual research :)

Best of luck to you this coming MS1!!! (Celebration is a little incorporated area off I-4 and 428 - think that's the southern loop)
That would make more sense! Haha, sorry, I'll get my Orlando/Lake Nona locations down in a few months!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I’m an oos applicant - I’d love to go here but idk if it’s worth it without stellar stats 509~mcat. Im looking into programs that strong in primary care/working in underserved areas. Does anyone know if UCF is more research or service heavy?
Also, I want to be around a strong Spanish speaking population so Orlando would be awesome

Hi!
I’m an oos applicant - I’d love to go here but idk if it’s worth it without stellar stats 509~mcat. Im looking into programs that strong in primary care/working in underserved areas. Does anyone know if UCF is more research or service heavy?
Also, I want to be around a strong Spanish speaking population so Orlando would be awesome

I grew up 6 minutes from the campus and the Spanish community in South Orlando is extremely vibrant. Completely different than the north side of Orlando and the UCF main campus. Its also a very safe area. Mentioning your interest in the local Spanish community could be a big plus as many people may not know this.

Hii! Advice needed!
My primary application was verified the day after it opened for submission (5/31) so I expect to receive secondaries fairly early on. I am looking for advice because I know submitting as early as possible helps your chances, but unfortunately I have a pretty low MCAT (503) and am not retaking it until July 19. I am scoring 515+ on my practice tests, but I don't want to submit my secondary and have UCF reject me because of my 503 before they see my new MCAT score. Do you think they will hold off reviewing my application until after my MCAT (Since i've designated on my application that I am taking it July 20) or should I wait to submit my secondary until after I receive my MCAT score (which wont be until Aug 20 which seems late in the application game)? Any advice helps!!

Firstly, great job in submitting your primary early! :) My advice would be to go ahead and complete the secondary application when you receive it. UCF's score cutoff is 500 I believe, so your 503 will surely not screen your application out. As long as you've indicated that you'll be retaking the MCAT, UCF will definitely wait to see your new score before making any decisions. Also, I don't even think they start sending interview invites until August, so you'll still be plenty early IMHO. Best of luck!

Hey everyone! Incoming M1 here as well :) Feel free to reach out to me with any questions on my experience applying. Was a CA resident for context!

Application received!

Post prompts?
What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why?

The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment?

What profession would you choose if not medicine?

Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are interested in UCF COM.

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.

Anyone choose academic medicine? And are they expecting us to talk about how we prepared for the clinical aspect of academic medicine as well?

Incoming M1 at UCF COM here. Happy to answer any questions. Best of luck!
Could you please explain the international medicine concentration program and how it could be used? The online site is confusing me a little.

And could you please describe what the "Core and Select" is? I wasn't able to find information online about it, but I was able to find information about the "core" and "select" programs individually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please explain the international medicine concentration program and how it could be used? The online site is confusing me a little.
Hmm, could you drop a link to what you're referring to? For some reason, I think you're referencing USF prompts/scholarly concentrations in your last two posts? I apologize if I am misunderstanding.

Hmm, could you drop a link to what you're referring to? For some reason, I think you're referencing USF prompts/scholarly concentrations in your last two posts? I apologize if I am misunderstanding.
You're completely right, I apologize. I've been getting these two mixed up all cycle so far, it's absolutely maddening!!!!

You're completely right, I apologize. I've been getting these two mixed up all cycle so far, it's absolutely maddening!!!!
Haha no problem, I understand :) You can head over to the USF page and I am sure they can help you out! I applied there last cycle, so feel free to PM me if you don't get the answers you're looking for! Good luck!

I'm OOS. For the question If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. I have one pretty weak connection, that my PhD advisor is now at USF (yes, different school), but we are good friends, and he and his wife would be my nearest support group in Florida. Is that so weak that I should just leave this one blank?

I'm OOS. For the question If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. I have one pretty weak connection, that my PhD advisor is now at USF (yes, different school), but we are good friends, and he and his wife would be my nearest support group in Florida. Is that so weak that I should just leave this one blank?
If you were to include it, I think you would need to really sell what benefit you would get out of coming to study in Florida, what this connection means to you. Florida schools want to see students who are committed to the state, as well as the possibility of serving the communities in Florida as a future physician.

For the question regarding MCAT prep, is it okay to simply just write the numbers? Or should we write out in sentences which prep courses we used, which online sites, etc.?

Anybody else submit their primary the first day and yet to receive a secondary??

In addition to Rel and Pbar, Florida (obviously) and especially the south side of orlando have a large hispanic population. Could possibly draw a connection to that. Also, orlando has a large a Haitian pop too.

Secondary submitted, best of luck everyone!

For the question regarding MCAT prep, is it okay to simply just write the numbers? Or should we write out in sentences which prep courses we used, which online sites, etc.?
If it's the question I'm thinking about and hasn't changed, then just numbers are fine. Like 80/0/20 for example.

Okay this might be a stupid question but the question asking if we were required to work during college... I'm assuming this is asking about financial burdens rather than a program requiring us to work a certain number of hours?

Okay this might be a stupid question but the question asking if we were required to work during college... I'm assuming this is asking about financial burdens rather than a program requiring us to work a certain number of hours?

Yeah that's how I answered it.

Trying to submit, but the PDF form is randomly omitting words from my responses. Did anyone else have this problem? I have grammarly on for my browser and I think this is causing the problem.

Trying to submit, but the PDF form is randomly omitting words from my responses. Did anyone else have this problem? I have grammarly on for my browser and I think this is causing the problem.
When I applied last cycle, some of the words Grammarly underlined seemed to be omitted when I tried to submit my apps. So, to be on the safe side, I turned off Grammarly on the secondary websites after proofreading. See if that works.

How are you guys approaching the question, "What profession would you choose if not medicine?" I'm a nontrad career changer, and I don't want to say I'd just stick with the job i already do. I said I don't in the primary.

1. Treat it like if I had a blank slate, I'd do A for B, C, D, reasons that show something about my passions and values.
2. Say well, I could do X or Y other thing, but it would not help me achieve my goals like being a physician would.
3. Say I wouldn't do anything else, as if it was an interview question. No plan B.
4. Other?

@MrsDrDr I just answered this question honestly and was pretty straightforward. I talked about how I would become a teacher and continue to work with minority communities, so it tied into my narrative well and I honestly was interested in teaching if medicine didn't work out.

How are you guys approaching the question, "What profession would you choose if not medicine?" I'm a nontrad career changer, and I don't want to say I'd just stick with the job i already do. I said I don't in the primary.

1. Treat it like if I had a blank slate, I'd do A for B, C, D, reasons that show something about my passions and values.
2. Say well, I could do X or Y other thing, but it would not help me achieve my goals like being a physician would.
3. Say I wouldn't do anything else, as if it was an interview question. No plan B.
4. Other?
I think they just want to know more about your passions, so whatever you choose, maybe tie it into the values you talk about elsewhere. Definitely don't do #3 lol that can come off poorly

I think they just want to know more about your passions, so whatever you choose, maybe tie it into the values you talk about elsewhere. Definitely don't do #3 lol that can come off poorly
I agree, even if it were an interview question, I still would not say #3 as my answer. Just be yourself, speak the truth and you cant get yourself in trouble!

"My Current Overall Application Status:
LOR 3/1
Upon review of AMCAS we appear to have 3 faculty/1 character letter. We are missing 1 character letter to complete your file."

I have 5 letters in AMCAS and many other schools have received all 5. Is anyone else's showing up like this? All LORs were in by June and I submitted the secondary 7/8.

@DocKoozmin Are you sure the 5th letter satisfies UCF's character letter requirement? If 4 of them are from faculty, they could not be counting that last letter as a character letter. I would call and see if they can clarify the issue or just get another letter that satisfies the character letter.