2019-2020 Central Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overdue EFI's coming soon!
No status change for me... Complete 7/22. I see some applicants who were completed after me have status changes, so I'm pretty sad.. Also I'm going to be in central florida next week so was hoping! It's so expensive to travel in this process....
 
No status change for me... Complete 7/22. I see some applicants who were completed after me have status changes, so I'm pretty sad.. Also I'm going to be in central florida next week so was hoping! It's so expensive to travel in this process....
glad im not the only one my brotha/sista/nonbinary-otha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No status change for me... Complete 7/22. I see some applicants who were completed after me have status changes, so I'm pretty sad.. Also I'm going to be in central florida next week so was hoping! It's so expensive to travel in this process....
glad im not the only one my brotha/sista/nonbinary-otha

Yeah. I actually have high stats and Ivy League undergrad...but I know two faculty members at UCF personally and they both have told me how awesome this school is. After researching it I have really come to think it’s a top choice now for me! I’m instate resident too and would love to be close to home. They both said I was an excellent candidate for the school, knowing my background and interests. Yet, I still have no status change and others that submitted after me do. Frustrating, as I would even forego other interviews I have been offered already to attend one at UCF since I’m so interested in the school. 🙁. Good luck to you! It’s a stressful and expensive process!
@REL can you add some clarity about the process? For those still waiting for a status change?
 
glad im not the only one my brotha/sista/nonbinary-otha


@REL can you add some clarity about the process? For those still waiting for a status change?
I am not sure why your status has not changed. If you received a file complete email, you would ordinarily receive an EFI status change in about 2 weeks. If your file was completed more than 2 weeks ago, please contact admissions and inquire. Our IT totally reworked our application system to include all of the AMCAS info so it may be that there is some sort of gliche' somewhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad you are all getting your status changes. Our IT revamped our system and we discovered a problem with about 24 applications that did not get picked up in your individual portals. We believe that they have all been discovered. The problem was with the change of your status on the applicant portal. Internal processing these applications was not delayed in any way. That is why some may receive EFI, some may receive emails, and others possibly even invitations to interview.
 
Hi REL! I have a question about my status as a Florida resident. I was born and raised in Miami, but attended college in New York, and stayed after graduation. Although I have been out of the state for 6 years, I still have a Florida's driver's license. My voter's registration is also set to Florida, and I just started paying car insurance here as well (I had planned on moving back to Miami this August, but couldn't due to my job). My whole family lives in Miami, but I am 24 and independent. I self-identified as a Florida resident on my primary application, but it is clear that I do not currently live there since all my work and activities occurred in New York. As of now, I said that I am not a Florida resident for tuition purposes on my secondary application. What do you think?

I believe if you pay NY state taxes you are registered as a NY resident.
 
🙁 🙁 🙁 I do pay NY state taxes
On a side note we do admit 35+ non-Florida applicants into a 120 seat class. To date every student has received some amount of scholarship/grant. Non-Florida applicants probably average $15k+ per year from the scholarship committee based on what I have seen. It doesnt wipe out the ~$30k markup needed to cover the cost of education for a non-Florida resident, but we share as much of the pain as possible because we value the diversity of having students from across the nation and the various backgrounds that are included.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@catladybutnormal i can second what REL has said about their commitment to helping OOS students! I was on the fence for a long time with UCF and another school in California but UCF stepped huge and made it incredibly affordable for me despite the hefty $55k OOS tuition. So hopefully you get an interview and can show them why you belong here! Feel free to PM with any questions
 
@REL Does it matter if my gap year plans change from the ones I put in my secondaries?
 
@REL Does it matter if my gap year plans change from the ones I put in my secondaries?
Probably not, as long as you are still doing the gap year. Once you do apply just report on what you did during your gap year, not so much your change of plans unless you feel it is significant to mention.
 
When I paste my essay into the box and then preview it as PDF, it doesn't show as separate paragraphs as it does in the box. Is anyone else having this issue or is this how it's supposed to be?
 
When I paste my essay into the box and then preview it as PDF, it doesn't show as separate paragraphs as it does in the box. Is anyone else having this issue or is this how it's supposed to be?

Try adding an extra line between the paragraphs. You might have to add it in the box after you paste in. I think that's what worked for me...
 
I did that but it didn't work :/ maybe it's cause I'm copying it from google docs?
I will advise my computer support about this. Continue to do normal paragraphing. I do know that it will present it to the committee with paragraphs, sometimes your pdf review will not show based on the program that you are using.
 
Just want to give a quick little anecdotal story for those who are applying here this cycle! Current M1 at UCF. Yesterday we were in lecture with our medical genetics professor and she could tell that there were alot of questions being asked on a particular topic. She asked if we were having troubles with this particular concept and a majority of the class said yes and so she offered to do a lunch time review session for us the following day (today).

Today she spent an hour with us eating lunch and answering all of the questions we had on our lectures. She consistently posts supplemental materials online to help us understand confusing topics. The fact that she is willing to take more time out and help us even when she has clinical patients to see shows just how much UCF's faculty and admin care about the students. I am so happy with my choice to come here and can't wait for you to experience first hand what is going on in Lake Nona!

Please reach out with any questions you guys may have!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't received a secondary from here yet. Submitted 8/14 :/ Guessing rejection.